F'dup Chapters in American History (The Trump Years) --- Part 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be okay with a federal pardon if Trump had to admit under oath to the crimes he committed while a sitting president.
I wouldn’t. Here’s a guy who is responsible for tens of thousands of deaths in this country and we’re talking about pardoning him if he admits to it? I don’t think so. DOJ Looks into it and if there’s something that’s fine, if not that’s fine too. I think he’s a monster and if I’m right he doesn’t get special treatment.

If any president has needed to not get away with his ****, it’s Trump.

It’s not just about Trump deserving some sort of comeuppance. It’s for the good of the country and democracy to show you can’t attack our democracy and let 250,000+ Americans die on your watch out of criminal willful negligence and just get away with it.

I wouldn’t. Here’s a guy who is responsible for tens of thousands of deaths in this country and we’re talking about pardoning him if he admits to it? I don’t think so. DOJ Looks into it and if there’s something that’s fine, if not that’s fine too. I think he’s a monster and if I’m right he doesn’t get special treatment.

I think he's a monster as well, and would love to see Trump spend the rest of his life behind bars. But I also think a trial could be very, very bad for the country. Trump would call this a politically motivated hit job by Sleepy Joe, and tens of millions of voters buying it and turning the House red in two years. And given how he skated through impeachment I'm not convinced he would ever be convicted for his crimes. Its better for Biden to keep his hands clean and let Deutsche Bank, the SDNY and lawsuits from people who lost loved ones to Covid do the dirty work for him.

I would be okay with a federal pardon if Trump had to admit under oath to the crimes he committed while a sitting president.
giphy.gif

I thought we had universally agreed that pardoning Nixon was one of the greatest mistakes in American political history? ("Mistake" being the operable word because it was totally a quid pro quo with Ford) And now we're arguing to pardon Trump, who has done WAY worse? If there is to be a rule of law, if there is to be any recovery from Trump's reign, there can be NO PARDONS. It is absolutely outrageous to suggest otherwise, IMO.

giphy.gif

I thought we had universally agreed that pardoning Nixon was one of the greatest mistakes in American political history? ("Mistake" being the operable word because it was totally a quid pro quo with Ford) And now we're arguing to pardon Trump, who has done WAY worse? If there is to be a rule of law, if there is to be any recovery from Trump's reign, there can be NO PARDONS. It is absolutely outrageous to suggest otherwise, IMO.

I didn't agree to that.

I may be cynical, but I don't see DOJ prosecution deliver any more of a satisfying result than the impeachment. And if does beat the charges, Trump will emerge the conquering hero who once again battled and defeated the Deep State. Rather than being a sad rerun in 2024, Trump will be fighting the corrupt politician who tried to silence he and his even more radicalized garbage base. I don't want that.

Admit to all the crimes on camera and paper. No takesy backsy. I could live with that.

I didn't agree to that.

I may be cynical, but I don't see DOJ prosecution deliver any more of a satisfying result than the impeachment. And if does beat the charges, Trump will emerge the conquering hero who once again battled and defeated the Deep State. Rather than being a rerun in 2024, Trump will be fighting the corrupt politician who tried to silence he and his even more radicalized garbage base. I don't want that.

Admit to all the crimes on camera and paper. No takesy backsy. I could live with that.
A DOJ prosecution results in a trial before an impartial judge, not a jury made up of Republican sycophants. If the impeachment trial had been an actual criminal proceeding, Trump would have been found guilty on multiple counts. Not to mention the myriad of crimes he has committed that weren't a part of the impeachment process at all.

Do you seriously think Trump admitting to crimes on paper will change anything about how he or his base behaves? These are people who live and breathe on the words of Tucker Carlson and Alex Jones, despite both admitting in court that they lie for entertainment and aren't actually news. Trump is ALREADY planning a run against "the corrupt politician who tried to silence him." The only way that narrative changes is if he's behind bars.

A DOJ prosecution results in a trial before an impartial judge, not a jury made up of Republican sycophants. If the impeachment trial had been an actual criminal proceeding, Trump would have been found guilty on multiple counts. Not to mention the myriad of crimes he has committed that weren't a part of the impeachment process at all.

With they way Mitch has been filling benches, I'm not convinced we would be getting an impartial judge. And even if we did I'm not sure he would ever be convicted. As we know, Presidents get an awful lot of leeway in carrying out their duties. Which is why we really need to do a better job picking them.

Do you seriously think Trump admitting to crimes on paper will change anything about how he or his base behaves? These are people who live and breathe on the words of Tucker Carlson and Alex Jones, despite both admitting in court that they lie for entertainment and aren't actually news. Trump is ALREADY planning a run against "the corrupt politician who tried to silence him." The only way that narrative changes is if he's behind bars.

No, but I don't want to extend Trump's victim narrative beyond this term. A trial would dominate the news, energize his base, and no doubt result in acts of terrorism. An admittance of guilt and a pardon quiets that down. I think it would be for the best.

I think he's a monster as well, and would love to see Trump spend the rest of his life behind bars. But I also think a trial could be very, very bad for the country. Trump would call this a politically motivated hit job by Sleepy Joe, and tens of millions of voters buying it and turning the House red in two years. And given how he skated through impeachment I'm not convinced he would ever be convicted for his crimes. Its better for Biden to keep his hands clean and let Deutsche Bank, the SDNY and lawsuits from people who lost loved ones to Covid do the dirty work for him.

Nixon's pardon lead to Iran Contra being buried which lead to W's administration going scott free on a ton of bull****. Sometimes, the treatment is painful. What is the limit of crimes that you get allowed to do just because you in the government?

Nixon's pardon lead to Iran Contra being buried which lead to W's administration going scott free on a ton of bull****. Sometimes, the treatment is painful. What is the limit of crimes that you get allowed to do just because you in the government?

I agree that it sucks. But I don't think the current administration prosecuting its predecessor for crimes that may have been committed while they were in the white House works either. I'd be happy with admittance of guilt by Trump along with trials for some of the participants. I don't think we are going to get much better than that.

I agree that it sucks. But I don't think the current administration prosecuting its predecessor for crimes that may have been committed while they were in the white House works either. I'd be happy with admittance of guilt by Trump along with trials for some of the participants. I don't think we are going to get much better than that.
So we're just supposed to to let criminals get away with their crime "because optics?" Because you don't like the way it "looks" for the DOJ to prosecute their old boss who WAS A CRIMINAL? As Sithborg pointed out, pardoning Nixon led to IranContra, no consequences for IranContra led to Bush's crimes and now we have Trump committing the most flagrant offenses yet. If there are no consequences for him, what exactly do you think is going to stop the next person in the White House who considers committing grevious crimes against the American people?

And there are few arguments I hate more than "What will his base do?" That's literally letting democracy and the justice system be held hostage by terrorists. If Trump faces prosecution and they want to play stupid games, well, that will be the end of their movement. Because that ain't a fight they're winning.

Last edited:
Even if Trump publicly admitted he was guilty in exchange for a pardon, he can easily say the next day it was fake news and he never admitted anything. Everyone would believe it never happened at all but that someone used a deep fake to make him say that. He'll have received his pardon now, so he can retract the admission and it would be too late to do anything about that.

The only way I’ll accept a pardon is if they make him do something similar to the very first episode of Black Mirror.

So we're just supposed to to let criminals get away with their crime "because optics?" Because you don't like the way it "looks" for the DOJ to prosecute their old boss who was a criminal? As Sithborg pointed out, pardoning Nixon led to IranContra, no consequences for IranContra led to Bush's crimes and now we have Trump committing the most flagrant offenses yet. If there are no consequences for him, what exactly do you think is going to stop the next person in the White House who considers committing previous crimes against the American people?

And there are few arguments I hate more than "What will his base do?" That's literally letting democracy and the justice system be held hostage by terrorists. If Trump faces prosecution and they want to play stupid games, well, that will be the end of their movement. Because that ain't a fight they're winning.

Heads...

On...

Pikes...

Figuratively if not literally.

More than anything else I firmly believe that not prosecuting the Bushies lead to the mass disillusion that contributed greatly to Trump being able to succeed as he has in politics.

And while W. may have always been too big a fish to expect facing any consequences... From Cheney on down there were some mofos that absolutely could have and should have been nailed to the wall.

Heads on ****ing pikes. At least make a good faith attempt early and with a wide enough net. Not EVERY person who betrayed their oaths or abdicated their responsibility or who acted in a corrupt manner can be brought to task for their actions the last five years but Jesus, make the attempt and let the chips fall where they may.

This is yet another clarion call to all the voters in Georgia to deliver the Senate to the Dems because as we saw with impeachment if the GOP has a powerbase to thwart what they can, they, under Mitch, will.

FFS, stop letting everything be held hostage to "wHaT wOuLd HiS bAsE dO?!". His base can get the **** over it, or not. Either way, democracy shouldn't be held hostage to a horde of white trash rabble and yelping jackals proudly cheering on the most flagrantly criminal administration in modern American history, if not American history period.

Also, if we're worried about optics, it'd also piss a lot of people off if Trump didn't face any consequences.

Also, if we're worried about optics, it'd also piss a lot of people off if Trump didn't face any consequences.
But those people are always going to vote Blue anyway, so it doesn't matter what we do or say to them or how many times we screw them over. Hey, let's put Rahm Emmanuel on the cabinet! :o

If Trump doesn't wind up behind bars I'm going to be pretty pissed, but I have a strong feeling that unfortunately isn't likely to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"