General Election 2020: Biden vs Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's anything wrong with Bernie, his campaign just made some major miscalculations.

The sexist and racist charges against Bernie are basically utterly without merit.

Biden is unequivocally a creep and been monstrously wrong early in his career on race issues (but gets a pass now, because Obama).

Well then November should be interesting. I was rooting more for Bernie based on his policies. It's hard to get behind Biden.

Well then November should be interesting. I was rooting more for Bernie based on his policies. It's hard to get behind Biden.
Biden's entire campaign rests on "I'm not Trump". Even his few fervent, enthusiastic supporters here make no case for him beyond that simple fact. Seriously. I haven't seen a single argument that went beyond "he's the most electable!" Biden sucks on actual policy and he always has. AND he's sundowning. Anyone here that can't admit that this man is cognitively declining is lying to themselves.

I'm going to do it one last time. I'm going to choke down my bile and vote for this guy, because Trump is THAT BAD. But if this doesn't work and Biden loses, I am going full George Carlin and I am done with the Democratic Party.

This is a problem with the American electorate I've seen. They care more about someone's identity, charisma, or associates more than actual policies.

1986: Biden Discusses Challenge

1988: Biden Discusses Changing Attitudes and Cementing Profile:

Biden's Initial Presidential Campaign (New York Times was tough on him in this video last Summer before the candidates started establishing themselves last year):

1994: Crime Bill Biden Helped Write The controversial 1994 crime law that Joe Biden helped write, explained

Some Information Concerning his Journey with Pro-Choice: Joe Biden's dance on abortion policy

Obviously as Obama's VP, there's way more pieces of info. of course actually still relevant but above is a brief summary of some of the hot take looks he used to get many years ago that I think he's moved past.

He falls in-line with the democratic party and is about changing attitudes I think is a theme I see echoed throughout his career.

Last edited:
How? I mean, between the pandemic where he can't get a significant popularity boost because he is a narcissistic moron and the economy facing worse numbers than seen in 2008, I have no clue what makes you think we are heading to 4 more years of Trump.

Didn't most people assume Hillary was going to win back in 2016?

How can you possibly say that when the economy is heading toward a major recession caused in part by a pandemic that has been exacerbated by his incompetence? Don’t get me wrong, it’s still possible for him to win but I just think it’s a little too early to prognosticate definitively who will win. It can go either way.

Again, I hope you guys are right. And I've been doing what I can to not beat a dead horse that bad over the past few months.

But we're a country of racist morons and Trump is the perfect candidate for racist morons. Loud, anti-intellectual, never backs down, never apologizes, and is always ready to blame the democrats. We've seen how well that works for a scary chunk of this country.

If you think the pandemic is going to shake his base from supporting him then I invite you to look at how much of a post-truth country we're really in right now. I live in the south and my family and friends who voted for him in 2016 are more excited than ever to vote for him. Call me cynical but I really think he could murder someone on live TV and go up in the polls.

I'm shocked at this. I thought Bernie was holding his own. People actually want Biden?

Yes.

He's not perfect by a long shot, but majority of Democratic voters chose him over Bernie due to electability and readiness to lead on Day 1.

And while some of you don't like it, but Biden's moderate stance makes him palatable for moderate Republicans and ardent 'Never Trump' Republicans to vote for him too. Had Bernie been on the general election ticket, they wouldn't vote at all.

Again, I hope you guys are right. And I've been doing what I can to not beat a dead horse that bad over the past few months.

But we're a country of racist morons and Trump is the perfect candidate for racist morons. Loud, anti-intellectual, never backs down, never apologizes, and is always ready to blame the democrats. We've seen how well that works for a scary chunk of this country.

If you think the pandemic is going to shake his base from supporting him then I invite you to look at how much of a post-truth country we're really in right now. I live in the south and my family and friends who voted for him in 2016 are more excited than ever to vote for him. Call me cynical but I really think he could murder someone on live TV and go up in the polls.

This guy could suggest that we all need to just get back to work, let the fittest survive, say it's not going to be that bad, and he'd still be above 40%.

This guy could suggest that we all need to just get back to work, let the fittest survive, say it's not going to be that bad, and he'd still be above 40%.

Unfortunately that might be true. :(

This too. :(

While Warren was my first choice based on policy and the ability/brain power to implement it, I decided early on to support Biden because I thought he had the best chance to beat Trump. While I don't agree with Joe on everything, but here's what I do know. He understands the importance of establishing alliances all over the globe won't spew garbage about our allies and won't treat them as a paying customer. He isn't anti-intellectual and actually believes that science is important. There are quite a few more reasons I am somewhat comfortable with him, but I'm not going to go into all of them right now.

I would be shocked if she’s not at the Top 3 of the VP list:

How many states are hard to predict for the next election? And how is Biden viewed in those states compared to Hillary?

How many states are hard to predict for the next election? And how is Biden viewed in those states compared to Hillary?
I'm curious about Ohio. The state typically leans Republican and I know Trump has huge supporters here - my family included. I remember one time my dad straight up said, "Hillary is the devil."

I don't expect Biden to win Ohio, but when you've got people calling Hillary "evil" with no shred of irony, I don't think a Dem candidate has anywhere to go but up from that.

I'm curious about Ohio. The state typically leans Republican and I know Trump has huge supporters here - my family included. I remember one time my dad straight up said, "Hillary is the devil."

I don't expect Biden to win Ohio, but when you've got people calling Hillary "evil" with no shred of irony, I don't think a Dem candidate has anywhere to go but up from that.

I have an older friend (who's thankfully anti-Trump) who has a lot of midwest friends from the same age group who voted for Trump (because they hate Hilary either because she's a woman and they don't think a woman should lead or just because they think she's the devil incarnate) but are excited now to vote for Biden so I think there will definitely be a faction who didn't vote for Hilary that will end up voting for Biden. Regardless of whether we agree with it or not, I definitely think Biden has some sort of charm and "trustworthiness" that works on some people, the older demographic, to be more precise.

I'm not confident that it's enough but at least it's something.

I would be shocked if she’s not at the Top 3 of the VP list:

It is probably down to her and Harris, I'd imagine, but I think picking Whitmer would be a mistake. For a party that is supposed to be about inclusivity, having an all-white ticket is not a great look even if Biden does have the African-American vote locked down. Also, Biden-Whitmer is reminiscent of McCain-Palin, in appearance, not that Whitmer is anything like Palin.

I have an older friend (who's thankfully anti-Trump) who has a lot of midwest friends from the same age group who voted for Trump (because they hate Hilary either because she's a woman and they don't think a woman should lead or just because they think she's the devil incarnate) but are excited now to vote for Biden so I think there will definitely be a faction who didn't vote for Hilary that will end up voting for Biden. Regardless of whether we agree with it or not, I definitely think Biden has some sort of charm and "trustworthiness" that works on some people, the older demographic, to be more precise.

I'm not confident that it's enough but at least it's something.
It will be very good to get some votes back from older voters if this holds true.

The toss-up states are North Carolina, Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. (Potentially Georgia with two Senate races too.)

Seats that are flipping are Colorado, Maine, and Arizona.

The Rust Belt (PA, MI, maybe WI) is looking good for Biden so far, potentially NC too (we don't like Trump sucker Tillis here). Georgia might be competitive if Biden picks a black female VP candidate.

It will be very good to get some votes back from older voters if this holds true.

I sure hope so but I'm choosing to be very conservative (no pun intended lol) in my expectations this time. I was so convinced Hilary had it in the bag last time and yet here we are... :(

Exactly what I was looking for. :up:

I'm hoping there are many examples of voters who are open to Biden who weren't open to Hillary.

It is probably down to her and Harris, I'd imagine, but I think picking Whitmer would be a mistake. For a party that is supposed to be about inclusivity, having an all-white ticket is not a great look even if Biden does have the African-American vote locked down. Also, Biden-Whitmer is reminiscent of McCain-Palin, in appearance, not that Whitmer is anything like Palin.

I suspect that his top choices are not woman of color because he didn't specify it that way while he specified it for his SC choice. We'll see.. I think it'll be one of Warren, Harris, Whitmer or Kolbuchar I think. Abrams probably rounds the Top 5. IDK.

The toss-up states are North Carolina, Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. (Potentially Georgia with two Senate races too.)

Seats that are flipping are Colorado, Maine, and Arizona.

The Rust Belt (PA, MI, maybe WI) is looking good for Biden so far, potentially NC too (we don't like Trump sucker Tillis here). Georgia might be competitive if Biden picks a black female VP candidate.
Thanks a lot for this. :up:

I'm in Ohio. Some weeks back, a work colleague said that he would not vote for Trump again so that gave me some hope. Ohio is going to be a tough pull for Biden, but if he makes it closer in Ohio, that likely means he won Penn, Michigan and Wisconsin.

CNN
Biden leads 53-42

Monmouth
Biden leads 48-44

Fox News
Trump and Biden are tied 42-42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"