• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Solo General News/Discussion Thread-Solo: A Star Wars Story. - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully that's what Rian Johnson's trilogy will be. Something not beholden to the OT. If it is it will be breaking a mold that even the prequels were in to a degree. In terms of design aesthetic and production the PT was original in a lot of ways, but it was still tied to the OT to a degree that it shouldn't have been, especially because it ended up doing narrative damage to the OT. There was no reason for R2, 3PO, or Chewie to be there, for instance.

Agreed. Those PT elements just create a bunch of WTF. I mean, why on Earth did Anakin have to build C-3PO? Clearly they had protocol droids!!!! Ugh. So much stupid.

This is why "casting director" is a job and not something people on message boards can just become. Obviously they can make mistakes, but there's a lot of facets to putting a cast together beyond "he can do a good impression".

Not gonna argue with that...

But you'll see casting the current guy will bite them in the @$$ way more than casting this "he can do a good impression" guy would have. :gngl:

Seriously though, I'd love to see Ingruber in some bigger role so we can judge how good of an actor he is.

Alden Ehrenreich reminds me more of a young Dennis Quaid than Harrison Ford.

At first I was like "who cares about the casting, it's gonna be fine", after the trailer I'm like "I understand the concerns now so much". :funny: Right from the beginning I wanted Taron Egerton to play Han. His screen presence in the first Kingsmen was incredible, he'd be the perfect choice IMO, a perfect charismatic rascal. His Kingsmen performance was so natural yet so convincing (haven't seen the second one, nor Eddie the Eagle).
Ehrenreich feels so awkward and clumsy in the role. Like this moment... https://youtu.be/dNW0B0HsvVs?t=59s or this https://youtu.be/dNW0B0HsvVs?t=1m15s Quite cringy and sooo non-Han-Solo-ish.

:whatever:

Crap like this makes me so damn happy Disney & the critics loved TLJ. Pure schadenfreude.

You know, I don't want a guy who cannot even write a 20 minutes of a coherent meaningful story to make a whole new SW trilogy. I hope that makes sense. Not to mention he does not understand SW like, at all, from what I've seen.

You know, I don't want a guy who cannot even write a 20 minutes of a coherent meaningful story to make a whole new SW trilogy. I hope that makes sense. Not to mention he does not understand SW like, at all, from what I've seen.
Good thing he made the very coherent The Last Jedi.

tumblr_p3p80thqmk1tpk0vyo2_540.gif

tumblr_p3p80thqmk1tpk0vyo3_540.gif

tumblr_p3p80thqmk1tpk0vyo6_540.gif

Love this

I don't know; I like what I'm seeing here. I'm not sold on Alden yet, but a better way to look at this might be to view him like Chris Pine playing Kirk. He didn't do a Shatner impression; he made it his own. The difference here, I guess, is that Ford is generally beloved by everyone, whereas Shatner is beloved by Trek fans and kind of a joke to everyone else. But that aside, I don't think Kennedy or anyone involved with this film just wanted the lead actor to come in and do a Saturday Night live-style impression of Ford. That's how you end up with underwhelming garbage like Superman Returns. Maybe Alden won't come off like Ford at all (I don't think we've seen enough yet to judge, really), but maybe that's not a bad thing as long as he's good in the role. He appears to have the cocky swagger down at least and he resembles him somewhat. Let's see if he can make the role his own.

I'm worried about Rian's new trilogy as even completely disregarding what he did with the old characters he just wrote such pointless stories for the new ones. Rey is incredibly flat and bland in TLJ, and doesn't really go anywhere interesting over the entire movie. Same with Kylo Ren, whom he managed to have not go anywhere as a character despite Snoke dying. Having such poor character growth is a failure, and adding some really poor logic in some storylines makes me worried.

It seems like the gaps of logic in Looper weren't just the difficulty of time travel, it might very well be a flaw in Rian as a writer.

I hope Solo will deliver with its script though. It's high time for another SW movie to be well written.

I have mixed feelings about TLJ but I agree that Looper has a lot of problems that for some reason get overlooked.

I don't know; I like what I'm seeing here. I'm not sold on Alden yet, but a better way to look at this might be to view him like Chris Pine playing Kirk. He didn't do a Shatner impression; he made it his own. The difference here, I guess, is that Ford is generally beloved by everyone, whereas Shatner is beloved by Trek fans and kind of a joke to everyone else. But that aside, I don't think Kennedy or anyone involved with this film just wanted the lead actor to come in and do a Saturday Night live-style impression of Ford. That's how you end up with underwhelming garbage like Superman Returns. Maybe Alden won't come off like Ford at all (I don't think we've seen enough yet to judge, really), but maybe that's not a bad thing as long as he's good in the role. He appears to have the cocky swagger down at least and he resembles him somewhat. Let's see if he can make the role his own.

He doesn't have to resemble Ford for me, but needs some of Solo's daring, unpredictability and cocky swagger as you mention.

It just sounds like Ingruber is doing a Harrison Ford impression the whole time. Yes, he resembles a young Ford, and he can do a good impression. It just looks, feels and sounds SO unnatural.

Hell, this guy does a good Ford impression and even made a young Han Solo short film, but again, it just seems like they're doing a schtick.

[YT]BvPfCTyd3X8[/YT]

No, Alden doesn't have the same voice as Ford. Though this version of Han must be in his early to mid 20s, given he was around 30 in "A New Hope" so a different tone of voice would make sense. But Alden is a solid actor and, to me, embodies the character of Han Solo. The cockiness, the swagger. And this Solo is still a kid, he's not as smooth as older Solo.

I mean... when people, and especially critics!, claim TLJ was perfectly fine, coherent, meaningful story, then I don't know what to say and I'm not surprised Disney's MCU and SW sequels can make so much money and be so beloved even though they are so shallow.

Well, it's becoming obvious he's not the new young Ford so we can only hope his own young Solo will be good. So far, it's a cringefest, unfortunately. Which is weird since I've seen so much praise for his performance in Hail, Caesar!.

I don't know; I like what I'm seeing here. I'm not sold on Alden yet, but a better way to look at this might be to view him like Chris Pine playing Kirk.

Bingo. That's why I'm waiting. I don't love it as of now, but we've seen nowhere near enough to make a call on it, and we have plenty of examples on how this stuff can work.

Then again, there are those "Star Trek in name only!" tiresome types, sure the usual suspects will be just as vocal ad-nauseum on this too.

And c'mon Consona, at a certain point it just comes off as baiting people. Everyone's registered by now you think The Last Jedi was the Pearl Harbor of movies, you don't need to express it every three seconds in a non-TLJ thread though. Enough of the world liked it that Rian isn't suddenly movie-Bin-Laden, you're going to have to come to terms with that eventually. Disney loves the guy, half of us do too. He's probably going to become even a bigger figure than Abrams in terms of influence at Lucasilm going forward.

I mean... when people, and especially critics!, claim TLJ was perfectly fine, coherent, meaningful story, then I don't know what to say and I'm not surprised Disney's MCU and SW sequels can make so much money and be so beloved even though they are so shallow.
What is incoherent about TLJ?

What is incoherent about TLJ?

Are you kidding me? Have you missed those entire conversations in the TLJ section? Because I don't think so.

And c'mon Consona, at a certain point it just comes off as baiting people. Everyone's registered by now you think The Last Jedi was the Pearl Harbor of movies, you don't need to express it every three seconds in a non-TLJ thread though. Enough of the world liked it that Rian isn't suddenly movie-Bin-Laden, you're going to have to come to terms with that eventually. Disney loves the guy, half of us do too. He's probably going to become even a bigger figure than Abrams in terms of influence at Lucasilm going forward.

Point taken, but when somebody starts talking about his whole new trilogy I think it's fair to point out he's rather totally incompetent as a writer and storyteller.

I still don't know what to think about it all. That he was able to produce a "SW" movie like that. Or how is it even possible Kasdan who co-wrote a screenplay for Empire Strikes Back allowed something like the plotless TFA to happen.

Are you kidding me? Have you missed those entire conversations in the TLJ section? Because I don't think so.
Actually yes. I don't hang out there all that much anymore. Haven't for about a month.

So again, what is so incoherent about TLJ? If it is so obvious, it should be easy to say. As one who has a few issues with TLJ and many with Rogue One, I do find the idea that any of the new films are incoherent or don't make sense extremely odd. Because in terms of narrative, they flow rather naturally and are easy to follow.

:whatever:

Crap like this makes me so damn happy Disney & the critics loved TLJ. Pure schadenfreude.
agreed. Its painful to watch fans think they know what it takes to make a good movie. translating things to film is much harder than ANY of us realize.

its also funny how they have such a hard time explaining what so bad about the film. its always stuff that whent against their expectations or stuff that never needed to be expanded upon in a movie to begin with. As Darth said, if the movies so filled with plotholes, they should be able to explain why. FYI, Hating how luke whent out isnt a plothole lol.

agreed. Its painful to watch fans think they know what it takes to make a good movie. translating things to film is much harder than ANY of us realize.

its also funny how they have such a hard time explaining what so bad about the film. its always stuff that whent against their expectations or stuff that never needed to be expanded upon in a movie to begin with. As Darth said, if the movies so filled with plotholes, they should be able to explain why.

They have no hard time explaining what so bad about the film. Go watch some YT reviews, people are quite clear about what they think was wrong with the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"