God of War God of War: Ragnarök

Of course along with the richness from the mythology, the depth of characters… came that great gameplay and the notable father-son relationship.

Now the boy is older and we’re clearly venturing into teenage territory which will probably create a bit of friction, both between the characters and even the audience perception of the character. He feels very much like teenage Groot with everything that entails.

Seeing that kind of accurate representation of mythological Thor is definitely a big plus and I can’t wait to see more of him in the game.

Now looking into the future and like someone mentioned previously, personally I would gladly take the Egyptian world of myth and legend as the background for another GOW game.

I absolutey loved the previous God of War game. It’s in my Top 3 games for PS4. I always loved the world of mythology and the Nordic one is so rich and fascinating and I really appreciate the influences in stuff like Lord of The Rings, Marvel, gaming…

I think that mythology greatly enhanced GOW adding a multilayered richness to the game.

Now I do agree with some previous comments that this trailer for the sequel wasn’t that great, it feels like something is missing… maybe it feels somewhat stale and not like it’s aiming to upgrade and be better, but more to continue the same trends… Hard to put my finger on it.
To me its feels like if God of War 2018 didn't end after visiting Jotunheim, we would have went straight into what we saw in the trailer. I wonder if we are going back to realms featured in the last game or its just midgard + 3 realms.

To me its feels like if God of War 2018 didn't end after visiting Jotunheim, we would have went straight into what we saw in the trailer. I wonder if we are going back to realms featured in the last game or its just midgard + 3 realms.
We will see all the realms, including Asgard. They teased them too much.

Those complaining about the "look" of the new God of War. Check the textures and the draw distance. It's legit.

Looking at the character designs it looks pretty odd that Thor wears armor on his shoulders and arms but leaves all vital areas completely uncovered.

All 9 realms have been confirmed. And you can see some news ones in the trailer.

Wait, i just read that this is supposed to be the Final game and it will not be a Trilogy.
How the hell do they want to put everything into just one game?
Will we see Odin even?
Hell im not ready for if Kratos really dies...im not ready at all for this Journey in the Norse Mythology to end already.

But im so ready for this game.

You mean just like Kratos? :hehe:

Kratos in PS4 had even weirder armor since that piece wouldn't even make sense together with other armor It's just old so I haven't talked about that in a while. I just felt that Thor stood out among the Norse gods that we've seen, although I guess Modi had a sort of similar thing on. They made Thor's sons pretty forgettable, other than them dying despite being survivors of Ragnarök in the myths, so I had to look them up to remember their appearances.

I have a vague memory of Corey Barlog saying that it would be fun with a fat Thor when the last game came out so it might be that which promotes the idea of having the gut be the uncovered part.

Speaking of the gut I've seen a number of people on the web say that Thor was fat in the myths, but I'm not sure I buy it. Especially since I don't see anyone posting descriptions, and I don't remember any such descriptions from my own readings (although it has been quite a while), just stories where he eats a ton. Given that Thor was a symbol of manliness and male fertility, and the fiercest of the Asgard fighters (the Viking warriors didn't tend to be fat), and eating a lot is something big, muscular men do as well, I'm not sure these people are correct. For the game I don't care much though, as long as he's a good character. They've already twisted the myths a ton in much more important aspects so one can just go with it. Pretty much like with the Marvel stuff.

im really surprised at the people complaining about the look of thor. just going based off the game. when the world serpent destroyed the statue of Thor, Mimir told us that the statue was flatering. in this world he is sexy thor the MCU gave us. in the myths thor was so drunk once that he drank the oceans and that is why there are more island and countries got bigger.

Fat thor is the real thor

Kratos in PS4 had even weirder armor since that piece wouldn't even make sense together with other armor It's just old so I haven't talked about that in a while. I just felt that Thor stood out among the Norse gods that we've seen, although I guess Modi had a sort of similar thing on. They made Thor's sons pretty forgettable, other than them dying despite being survivors of Ragnarök in the myths, so I had to look them up to remember their appearances.

I have a vague memory of Corey Barlog saying that it would be fun with a fat Thor when the last game came out so it might be that which promotes the idea of having the gut be the uncovered part.

Speaking of the gut I've seen a number of people on the web say that Thor was fat in the myths, but I'm not sure I buy it. Especially since I don't see anyone posting descriptions, and I don't remember any such descriptions from my own readings (although it has been quite a while), just stories where he eats a ton. Given that Thor was a symbol of manliness and male fertility, and the fiercest of the Asgard fighters (the Viking warriors didn't tend to be fat), and eating a lot is something big, muscular men do as well, I'm not sure these people are correct. For the game I don't care much though, as long as he's a good character. They've already twisted the myths a ton in much more important aspects so one can just go with it. Pretty much like with the Marvel stuff.
Being a big boy in mythos of yesteryear, probably means you are overweight. It was seen as a sign of stuff like wealth, manliness and fertility. And considering the idea here is that this is Thor and Odin "over the hill" and past their best. I think it fits. These aren't them in their primes, this is them mere steps away from the grave.

Still, like you I am all about the character work. Let's see what we get.

im really surprised at the people complaining about the look of thor. just going based off the game. when the world serpent destroyed the statue of Thor, Mimir told us that the statue was flatering. in this world he is sexy thor the MCU gave us. in the myths thor was so drunk once that he drank the oceans and that is why there are more island and countries got bigger.

Fat thor is the real thor
I'm not. People have some real body shaming issues in geekdom. Remember big boy Thor in the MCU?

Wait, i just read that this is supposed to be the Final game and it will not be a Trilogy.
How the hell do they want to put everything into just one game?
Will we see Odin even?
Hell im not ready for if Kratos really dies...im not ready at all for this Journey in the Norse Mythology to end already.

But im so ready for this game.
I would have liked Thor and Odin to be the final bosses of 2 separate games. After 3 games I would have had my fill and been happy to move on. Also I would have liked to see the third game made later near the end of the gen with a bigger jump in visuals and gameplay from 2018, really taking advantage of the PS5 hardware and not being hampered by being crossgen. Of course if they can fit all the awesomeness into one game effectively then so be it. I’m certainly trusting them after the games they’ve delivered thus far.

I absolutey loved the previous God of War game. It’s in my Top 3 games for PS4. I always loved the world of mythology and the Nordic one is so rich and fascinating and I really appreciate the influences in stuff like Lord of The Rings, Marvel, gaming…

I think that mythology greatly enhanced GOW adding a multilayered richness to the game.

Now I do agree with some previous comments that this trailer for the sequel wasn’t that great, it feels like something is missing… maybe it feels somewhat stale and not like it’s aiming to upgrade and be better, but more to continue the same trends… Hard to put my finger on it.
It’s my no. 1 PS series ahead of Uncharted and one of my all time favourite series. Agreed as well that the mythology massively enhances it all. As for this trailer there was nothing wrong with it IMO, it just didn’t suggest as much of an obvious jump from the previous game as many may have been hoping for.

Being a big boy in mythos of yesteryear, probably means you are overweight. It was seen as a sign of stuff like wealth, manliness and fertility. And considering the idea here is that this is Thor and Odin "over the hill" and past their best. I think it fits. These aren't them in their primes, this is them mere steps away from the grave.

Still, like you I am all about the character work. Let's see what we get.

I don't know. Big guys in ancient Greece were depicted as downright muscular and ripped (hence Kratos) and Greece had more fertile soil, had more fat through olive oil, and a bunch of luxuries that weren't naturally around in the Norse regions or as easily traded. Being active also makes it harder to put on a large amount of fat. The Norse people were also a lot more into personal grooming and decoration than how we tend to see them depicted in popular media, where they generally can't even sow a proper seam into clothing or wash their faces, so it's easy to have that seep into one's mind. This isn't important in relation to GoW Thor though, it's just a side track that got into my head after seeing people talk about it due to the game.

I did enjoy the scary sort of calm he had when he (as I assume it was) spoke in the trailer so my hopes are up for that he'll be a really good villain.

Also, you know, actual strong men have a bit of a gut.
Yeah, if you want outright strength above all, worrying about limiting fat can get in the way of that goal. The world’s strongest men tournaments don’t always have aesthetic bodybuilder type physiques. I do love Hemsworth’s build for MCU Thor though.

I love both Thor looks. MCU and GOW. I feel like both fit the worlds their in and there’s no need to constantly be picking sides when different and new stuff can be enjoyed for what it is.

Some do and others don't. Mariusz Pudzianowski was totally ripped, Hafthor Björnsson had visible abs when he weighed 205 kg, just to name a couple from the big names.

I don't know. Big guys in ancient Greece were depicted as downright muscular and ripped (hence Kratos) and Greece had more fertile soil, had more fat through olive oil, and a bunch of luxuries that weren't naturally around in the Norse regions or as easily traded. Being active also makes it harder to put on a large amount of fat. The Norse people were also a lot more into personal grooming and decoration than how we tend to see them depicted in popular media, where they generally can't even sow a proper seam into clothing or wash their faces, so it's easy to have that seep into one's mind. This isn't important in relation to GoW Thor though, it's just a side track that got into my head after seeing people talk about it due to the game.

I did enjoy the scary sort of calm he had when he (as I assume it was) spoke in the trailer so my hopes are up for that he'll be a really good villain.
What about the first game makes it sound like Thor has been active recently? Or any of the Aesir? We know they have access to luxuries. Beyond their conquest of the other realms, in the trailer you can see the bifrost send in what looks like Greek warriors to fight Kratos. Probably a gift from Odin.

Also how this Thor not muscular? He's arms are huge. More so then Hades in the original series. Another big boy.

XzeKuJ7.gif

It is a little but strange that the previous director of GOW didn’t come back to direct the sequel, specially after the massive success of that GOW… From his own words it’s almost like this new director was chosen by comité. Let’s see how that will influence this sequel.

What about the first game makes it sound like Thor has been active recently? Or any of the Aesir? We know they have access to luxuries. Beyond their conquest of the other realms, in the trailer you can see the bifrost send in what looks like Greek warriors to fight Kratos. Probably a gift from Odin.

Also how this Thor not muscular? He's arms are huge. More so then Hades in the original series. Another big boy.

I was talking about how Norse people looked, which links into to what their ideals would have been and their ideals would reflect the gods they made. I've specified that this part of the discussion is about the myths, and that some have started saying things that I don't think has any direct root in the source material, not directly about the game character.

As said, I don't care that much about the game design as long as it's a good character.

Partof me is hoping Santa Monica is working on more than one right now and he's directing that one.

Cory is probably doing pre-production on whatever comes next. They might have another project, but my money would be on a GOW set somewhere else. Most likely Egypt. My question is, does it served as the "trilogy" capper here or a completely different start. Either way, I don't think the boy goes with him. I think he stays behind, either dead, as Tyr, or something else. I think Kratos does make it out, but I guess we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"