Guardians of the Galaxy from Eidos

SE always complains about sales. That said, this coming in low is 100% their fault. The Avengers game was terrible and the advertising for this game was horrid. I gave it a chance after watching reviews and getting a free month of Gamefly. And only then did my brother and best friend give it a chance. By that point, it was ridiculously cheap. We bought a copy to keep for $25 on Black Friday.
Yeah, I think this will be a common pattern. I don’t think my casual gamer friends even knew about the game and they like the films. Square has some good western studios but their management of them is very strange.

Starting to think Square's expectations might be the problem haha

This isn't new, I've thought that for like a decade. I strongly suspect there is a culture inside Square-Enix wherein its acceptable to blame anything bad on the gaijin subsidiaries. Maybe its just bias, maybe its a way to protect politically important employees by scapegoating foreigners, maybe its a side effect of the foreign studios interacting primarily with people in the "Core Studio" portion of the company ( ie, the people who've been busy screwing up Final Fantasy for the past 15+ years ). Probably its a combination.

Is it possible that GotG just didn't sell well? Sure. However, I *strongly* suspect that their sales expectations ( which they haven't publicly disclosed, note! ) were unrealistic in the first place, either based on their own prior bad PR for Avengers ( which they *should* have taken into account ), or just in general based on sane expectations of any new game. There might be some minimal "But the budget mandated sales of ____!" rationalization, but this doesn't change anything in my opinion- it is your responsibility as a studio to set the budget based on realistic achievable sales goals. If you can't make the game on a budget which would realistically be paid back by sales, then you shouldn't have made the game in the first place.

Surely the expectations were too high. 4 million copies sold is pretty good I thought?

If that is the confirmed number of sales, than yeah, absolutely. If you aren't making a solid profit on a new game selling 4M copies, than that is a problem with you, not the sales. *No* new game should ever be budgeted to need that high of sales to break even, and no company should expect that a new game must sell that many copies to be satisfied. New games are *new*, they have not worked out their kinks, they have no established their fanbase. Those are things you do by putting in *work*, of making, releasing, and improving a series.

This is true. And honestly, it’s not like guardians of the galaxy is a Spider-Man level property.

I am uncertain what this means going forward. I assume most of the character models are already made so perhaps it’s cheaper to make sequels, therefore reducing the expense? We will see

Well, Square-Enix was disappointed with Tomb Raider, and still made two more. OTOH, Tomb Raider didn't involve them paying royalties and licensing fees. So, who knows. It might depend on whether they actually sincerely believe these statements or not. If its mainly for internal political consumption, and nobody making the decisions *actually* insisted that it had to be The One Game That Monopolizes The Entire Industry, than they might proceed to make more "disappointing" but profitable games. OTOH, its entirely possible that the relevant decision makers actually *do* hope for each new game to be That One Game That Achieves Permanent S-E Supremacy, or are looking for excuses to defund or sell off Eidos.

Started this but other games took over, need to get back to it at some point.

Just started this and I actually like it. Wish the combat was a bit more refined but still a good time.

Finished that game, surprised it didn't do well cause it was actually pretty fun and captured the spirit of the GotG movies.

This goes on game pass today.

Playing it on Gamepass and loving it. On chapter four right now, and if the rest of the game is this endearing I'll buy it. I hope word of mouth spreads, it's why I gave it a chance.

Update Edit: Yeah, this game was marvelous (sorry). Definitely deserves a purchase.

Last edited:
Good. I want a sequel. The first one's game play wasn't anything to brag about, but its story was surprisingly heartfelt, and the Guardians were so much better than Gunn's MCU Guardians.

Started this but had to drop it for other games. I do hope it gets a sequel though as the response to it is positive and the more good super hero games we get the better.

This game was in a shockingly bad state shocking state when I played this a month or so ago. Frequent glitches and crashes, falling through the floor, game breaking bugs that halt progress and screw your save. I had thought that it would just be a bit of slow down when there's a lot of action because of the early gameplay vids, though that happens too.

The gameplay was ok, but nothing great. Story could have been better. Game felt unfinished tbh.

One thing that did stand out was the strange decision to have the guy with rocket boots frequent fall down a ledge or get stuck because he couldn't make it over a chasm which he could just fly 9ver.

For me, i prefer if the team behind this works on another Marvel Ip. Guardians of the GalaXy has its own triple A current gen game now that is well received. Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, Ant-Man to name a few - have zero.

Wonder what this means for sequel chances.

Give me that Legacy of Kain reboot. Honestly seems like good news.

$300M? Damn, that's cheap.
Yeah, I don’t understand that price tag related to other acquisition prices. Square seem to be undervaluing what they are giving away here

Wonder what this means for sequel chances.

Depends on who actually has the rights. If its Square Enix, than the sequels are dead. Although Square Enix is not against working with third parties like Platinum. But who knows.

Yeah, I don’t understand that price tag related to other acquisition prices. Square seem to be undervaluing what they are giving away here

Honestly, given the losses we know about with Avengers, I don't think they are undervaluing them that much.

Depends on who actually has the rights. If its Square Enix, than the sequels are dead. Although Square Enix is not against working with third parties like Platinum. But who knows.
Shame if this is the last one. :csad:

Honestly, given the losses we know about with Avengers, I don't think they are undervaluing them that much.
As a sold asset those losses wouldn't really be relevant any more unless the new buyer also acted like Square and forced them into making stuff like that. I would have thought even if the studios were valued at zero the IP would be worth more combined. Seems like Square were desperate to sell, which isn't much of a surprise given all their comments about their Western arm. I'm just surprised others didn't bid harder for the IP.

finally got the chance to play this got it for PS5 for crazy cheap (like a smidge over 20 bucks) used god this game is FUN!

Finally started this and really impressed. Good looking and playing game and very fun. I like some of the Nova Corps characters we meet early on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"