Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Finally caught this on Disney+. It was a lot better than I expected after being let down by Vol 2.

It had an actual story to it unlike the second one which seemed mostly exposition filler until the final fight with Ego.

There were still some cringey humor (did we need to see Gamora on the toilet?) but at least it wasn’t as bad as jokes about sensitive nipples or if Ego has genitals.

I really liked we finally got to see both Mantis and Drax show off their power sets. Drax was still too stupid for my tastes. I thought they were going somewhere with Mantis defending him against Nebula but then they just mind wiped him.

Adam Warlock was completely unnecessary. He caused Rocket to get injured to set off the story, and he saved Quill at the end. But beyond that, he didn’t really have a presence beyond a couple of dumb “I’m naive to things” humor that we already get with Drax.

But the dramatic moments got to land without the usual Marvel dumb joke. Rocket’s story was obviously the most heart felt. But I liked that Gamora didn’t just magically fall in love with Peter again. It made her character feel fresh and gave real conflict with Peter.

The ending went on a bit too long. Is Mantis going on a ship somewhere or just exploring Knowhere on her own with her new pets? Peter is just content being an earthbound human after saving the galaxy multiple times?

Just dropping in to say I really liked this and it is my second favorite MCU movie as of now (some recency bias I acknowledge). These Guardians movies just feel different compared to everything else. Not sure if this franchise should continue to be honest but I’m looking forward to seeing them again at some point (which probably won’t happen until Avengers Secret Wars).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"