The Winter Soldier Hayley Atwell/Peggy Carter back for Cap 2!

Yeah, The Guard basically been going on all of the threads trashing everything about the movie, so I wouldn't take his comments seriously. As for Peggy, the Notebook wasn't the first movie to do a "tragic reunion scene" and it certainly won't be the last. Calling the Peggy scene a rip-off is just ludicrous.

He really seems to dislike the movie. Here is a Notebook ripoff, in another thread he says the Winter Solider's performance is worse than the Dark Phoenix's zombie showing in X3!

Yeah. He commented on how BW wasn't properly developed in TWS, more just to mess with Steve and didn't show off any proper "spy sets" and the movie didn't delve enough into her motivations or background…

I was a little… WHAHUH?!?! :confused:

Yeah, The Guard basically been going on all of the threads trashing everything about the movie, so I wouldn't take his comments seriously. As for Peggy, the Notebook wasn't the first movie to do a "tragic reunion scene" and it certainly won't be the last. Calling the Peggy scene a rip-off is just ludicrous.

Ummm...no. I am not going on all the threads "trashing the movie". At all. I have presented the things I both do and do not like about the elements of the film.

It felt like a NOTEBOOK ripoff when I watched it. I was using shorthand to explain how I felt about the use of the themes/story element. Not a ripoff in the sense that it uses a similar angle (obviously this is a real thing that happens), but in the sense that the aspect is not really "earned". Which is probably what I should have said in the first place, but I was in a hurry this morning.

The sequence sort of relies on the audience's emotional reaction to certain things. In other words, it introduces a major concept like the fact that he's been seeing her over and over and she cannot even remember the meetings, but does so without any real buildup. So for me, it felt a bit forced into the story as an emotional element. And it was an emotional scene, and well-played by Evans, but it felt a little bit cheap to me from a character standpoint, and the idea, which you would think would be somewhat important in Cap's story, was never returned to in the movie.

Though I'm pretty sure I've probably read them (Rucka's run, now that I think of it) I forgot this element was from the comics. It feels less like a ripoff now. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

Last edited:
He really seems to dislike the movie. Here is a Notebook ripoff, in another thread he says the Winter Solider's performance is worse than the Dark Phoenix's zombie showing in X3!

No. I quite liked the movie, and at least found it entertaining.

I never said anything about the Winter Soldier's performance.

Yeah. He commented on how BW wasn't properly developed in TWS, more just to mess with Steve and didn't show off any proper "spy sets" and the movie didn't delve enough into her motivations or background…

I was a little… WHAHUH?!?! :confused:

Hey, if you think this is "development", more power to you.

But I never said anything about her not showing off any "spy sets". I actually said that the movie focused more on that stuff than her inner character/development.

No. I quite liked the movie, and at least found it entertaining.

Fair enough :yay: You have to admit though, it hasn't come across in your recent posts. :woot:

I never said anything about the Winter Soldier's performance.

You said in the critiques thread

The key weakness of the movie though, ironically, is The Winter Soldier himself. Which is kind of sad. I realize “The Winter Soldier” is also a metaphor for Captain America and his mission…but still…the concept of The Winter Soldier and his awakening was completely watered down in favor of the old “fight the brainwashing!” plot device stuff. Remember when people *****ed about Dark Phoenix being a zombie in X3? This was worse.

Unless you meant the concept and not performance was worse than Dark Phoenix.

Fair enough :yay: You have to admit though, it hasn't come across in your recent posts. :woot:

Sure it does. If you ignore every positive thing I've said.

Unless you meant the concept and not performance was worse than Dark Phoenix.

Seeing as how prior to that, I'm talking about the concept and say pretty much nothing about his performance...yes. I meant the concept.

I meant the concept itself.

Ah ok, but surely concept goes hand in hand with the actual execution of it, the performance?

The Dark Phoenix's concept in X3 was (arguably) meh, and Famke Janssen's performance at the same time, in terms of her acting and the direction, didn't exactly elevate the material. The complaint of the Dark Phoenix is a product of both concept and performance.

Sebastian Stan's portrayal is receiving the kind of praise which Famke Janssen didn't. Even if the Winter Solider wasn't conceptualized well in your book, you must acknowledge that Sebastian aces the role.

Unless you didn't think it was a remarkable performance as well.

No, not neccessarily. Especially when I'm discussing one specific aspect of a character. Sebastian Stan was solid, had a few really nice moments. He really didn't have a lot to do beyond the physical.

Re: Dark Phoenix, conceptually, she was much better handled than the Winter Soldier if not as faithful to the comics.

Re: Famke's performance, I've yet to see most people complain about Famke's actual performance. She was excellent. As I recall, most X-fans think she was great, despite having little to work with.

Yes, Peggy's
Alzheimer's is canonical
… but that's already been discussed :)

It was the one thing I had hoped they would change. I mean, if Betty White's still kicking around like she is,
why couldn't Peggy :( I'm heartbroken and sad that she and Cap will never have their dance.

But thematically, it really had to be done. Both Cap and Peggy are victims of time. Peggy's
is trapped in time in her own head and Steve subjects himself to visiting her though it kills him (just look at Chris' face in that scene!) because she's his "best girl" :csad. Oh and absolutely this is not the first time Cap's visited Peggy and seen her condition; the expression he had when she forgot him was one of calm anguish, not of shock or confusion or surprise. He kept his emotions in check, he talked her through it, went along with the memory loss. He's totally done this before… which breaks my heart all over again.

I just wish I wasn't such a fangirl of Atwell's that the whole thing didn't hurt. The only time I was grateful for my 3D glasses - it hid my tears of crazy the second time I watched that scene.

Agreed. It was most definitely not the first time.

The way they were talking at first seemed as comfortable as if they were picking up a conversation they'd had many times before. And when she slipped into Dementia and thought she was seeing him again for the first time it was obvious from his reactions that this was not the first time this had happened. Heartbreaking.

But it also served to give us that "first time" reaction by Peggy that we couldn't have got since it's been two years since The Avengers. No way would Cap miss seeing his "Best Girl" again for so long after his return.

You weren't the only one tearing up. I was too and I heard sniffling in the audience.

Last edited:
Did that guy really say the concept of Dark Phoenix in X3 was better than Winter Soldier?!

This word, I do not think it means what you think it means

that bastardized butt-f***ed version of Phoenix was bland, lacked any sense of true intimidation, lacked the grand scale the character was meant for, and was completely ruined in every way.

WS on the other hand was a near-perfect adaption of the character from the comics, up to the point he starts figuring out his past. His moments were tortured and emotional, and exactly what I want to see when an important character gets adapted.

goddamned Dark Phoenix?!
quit trollin

Last edited:
still_waiting_for_the_right_partner_by_gassada-d7ay4c5.jpg

http://gassada.deviantart.com/art/Still-Waiting-for-the-Right-Partner-441651317
http://****yeahsteveandpeggy.tumblr.com/

What an awesome art piece, Tony & Pepper, Thor & Jane, Clint & Natasha, even Bruce with what assuming is Betty Ross. And you've got Steve all alone waiting for Peggy.

Last edited:
still_waiting_for_the_right_partner_by_gassada-d7ay4c5.jpg

http://gassada.deviantart.com/art/Still-Waiting-for-the-Right-Partner-441651317
http://****yeahsteveandpeggy.tumblr.com/

What an awesome art piece, Tony & Pepper, Thor & Jane, Clint & Natasha, even Bruce with what assuming is Betty Ross. And you've got Steve all alone waiting for Peggy.

F3VDvGL.gif

lol; I honestly think that after "TWS", the ONLY aspect of Captain America's life that needs to be fixed so that it can reach the level of greatness that everything else about has within his films....is allowing the dude to have or experience an good romantic relationship with someone.

Given that Captain America 3 is likely Evans' last appearance as CA within a solo film, I hope that the Russos go all out with what they can in hopefully allowing Steve to have a relationship with Sharon that matches the kind that they have in the comics (when it was at its best)

Haley Atwell will be in Avengers: Age Of Ultron in a flashback sequence.

Wow. I can't wait.

But the problem is if they keep showing me the perfection that are Evans & Atwell together as Steve & Peggy I'm never going to get on board with a Sharon romance in Cap 3 which is already starting from a disadvantage with me (what with the Cap and Cap's kid "killing" from the comics).

Please don't be joking.

We don't know what context the scenes will be used in but there is currently filming in the U.K.
on a WWII set in a Dance hall with Evans, Atwell and Paul Bettany on set.
. This was reported on the site that shall not be named and discussed in the Age Of Ultron section.

If I had to pick what the best romantic relationships in a comic book film are, i'd probably say:

- Peter Parker & Gwen Stacey (Andrew Garfield & Emma Stone)
- Tony Stark & Pepper Potts (Robert Downey Jr & Gwyneth Paltrow)
- Superman/Clark Kent & Lois Lane (Christopher Reeve & Margot Kidder)
- Captain America/Steve Rogers & Peggy Carter (Chris Evans & Hayley Atwell)
- Batman/Bruce Wayne & Catwoman/Selina Kyle (Michael Keaton & Michelle Pfeiffer)

That's it really... I can't really think of any other memorable comic book film romances (maybe Michael Keaton & Kim Bassinger but she was a tad annoying at times).

There's loads of memorable romances in the comics, but not really in film. I didn't buy:

- Tobey Maquire & Kirsten Dunst
- Chris Hemsworth & Natalie Portman
- James Marsden & Famke Janssen
- Hugh Jackman & Famke Janssen
- Hugh Jackman & Lynn Collins (Kayla Silverfox)
- Hugh Jackman & Tao Okamoto (I will admit that Mariko is underrated and their relationship was pretty good, but I wouldn't say it was 'memorable')
- Anna Pacquin & Shawn Ashmore
- Shawn Ashmore & Ellen Page (I doubt I'll like their relationship in Days of Future Past too because I didn't in X-Men 3)
- James McAvoy & Rose Byrne (Moira MacTaggert)
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult
- Eric Bana & Jennifer Connelly
- Edward Norton & Liv Tyler
- Ioan Gruffudd & Jessica Alba
- Ben Affleck & Jennifer Garner
- Nicholas Cage & Eva Mendes
- Val Kilmer & Nicole Kidman
- Christian Bale & Katie Holmes or Maggie Gyllenhaal
- Christian Bale & Anne Hathaway (They were good, but a little rushed and the film had too much going on to develop it.)
- Ryan Reynolds & Blake Lively
- Henry Cavill & Amy Adams (yet)

Last edited:
If I had to pick what the best romantic relationships in a comic book film are, i'd probably say:

- Peter Parker & Gwen Stacey (Andrew Garfield & Emma Stone)

I absolutely don't see what the fuss was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"