He-man Sequel Series (Netflix)

Sithborg

Pretty in pink
Reaction score
Netflix Is Producing A He-Man Anime Series

Kevin Smith is involved in a new cartoon that follows the original series. Smith is actually going to the showrunner. It is going to be animated by Powerhouse Studios, the studio that did Castlevania. I have concerns about that, as they are good, sure. But it was also an example of clearly limiting the action due to budget. It is going to be a while, since they are looking at a 2021 release.

$

Almost sounds too good to be true. Like an April Fool's prank.

Also, it sounds like Teela is the lead protagonist now.

If this is a sequel to the 80's cartoon, I'd imagine it won't be quite as lighthearted or campy. Something more in the vein of the 2002 show.

Just might feel weirder having a more serious tone compared to the original. Unless Eternia went to hell over time.

I was interested until I read that part about Teela. I hope this doesn't turn into a story about He-Man not being the hero anymore... (and Teela taking his place)

You see I dunno. Kevin Smith makes it sound like they are picking up where they left off. But I mean the description makes it sound like Teela is the new protagonist. And look nothing against Teela, but He-Man is the main hero. Sorry boys *AND* girls. If they are going to try and downplay or erase He-Man, I won't be interested.

Can I ask where the idea that Teela is the main protagonist comes from exactly? In reading around the net on this I didn't see anything that stated anything close to that. Is there an article somewhere that said something like that? In the vids and the articles it's the most barest of barest bones outline of it picking up post the 80's show continuity wise and... Not much else. Is there an article somewhere that describes it as "Teela's journey" or some such?

Edit: Finally saw the SHH front page (DUHHHHHHHHH!) with the bit about Teela looking for the power sword and actually using her "journey" as a starting point. It's odd that it's not mentioned in almost any of the articles covering this anywhere else.

Last edited:
Interesting idea adding Ksmith. I’ll give it a go.

Hope they keep the original costume

I doubt it will be Teela taking the main role. They already have She-ra for their female led series, which is also in the same universe/continuity. And a series literally titled He-Man featuring a woman as the lead would be kind of... :doh:

Can I ask where the idea that Teela is the main protagonist comes from exactly? In reading around the net on this I didn't see anything that stated anything close to that. Is there an article somewhere that said something like that? In the vids and the articles it's the most barest of barest bones outline of it picking up post the 80's show continuity wise and... Not much else. Is there an article somewhere that describes it as "Teela's journey" or some such?

Edit: Finally saw the SHH front page (DUHHHHHHHHH!) with the bit about Teela looking for the power sword and actually using her "journey" as a starting point. It's odd that it's not mentioned in almost any of the articles covering this anywhere else.

Straight from the panel:

cTwz1q3.jpg

It's not being mentioned because it probably wasn't in the press release that got sent out to news websites about the show. This is a screenshot from the panel. So it seems to be a matter of Mattel not mentioning it.

I doubt it will be Teela taking the main role. They already have She-ra for their female led series, which is also in the same universe/continuity. And a series literally titled He-Man featuring a woman as the lead would be kind of... :doh:

The show isn't titled He-Man though. The new show is titled Masters of the Universe: Revelation.

Well they couldn't exactly rename him "She-Man". :o

But I don't really see the name as problematic. They could remove the hyphen and it would become a proper name. In the Old Testament, there's someone named Heman the Ezrahite, who is a musician and author of one of the Psalms.

Now granted, you probably wouldn't emphasise the "man" in Heman as "man" but pronounce it more like "Hemun", as with any "man" on the end of a name. But in Prince Adam's case, someone could've mispronounced it as He-Man.

I'm open to this on two counts. 1 - that the designs and animation are well crafted, and 2 - If the series continues after this I'd like to see the real She-Ra and Hordak incorporated once they're done with that other silly series, which I'm betting Mattel are probably already considering. I don't have a problem with Teela's story being the driving force behind the series, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of He-Man himself.

Why would you say that? She-ra is getting her toyline out this year, so I don't see how that is "Mattel is displeased with She-ra and Princesses of Power". Any toy line based on this series isn't going to big retail, it will remain speciality. Something that has been plaguing He-man for some time.

I never said they were displeased. Mattel are looking to produce their own content and the She-Ra licence is currently being held by Dreamworks. In the long term they will want that licence back if this show proves popular because She-Ra is very much a part of MoTU legacy, and people will want to see the power siblings together on screen again. There's a reason so much of that new She-Ra show is so divorced from He-Man, it's because the creators don't have the rights to the original MoTU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"