Civil War Is Captain America: Civil War Too Crowded?

They won't re-boot but they'll eventually recast like they did with James Bond for 40 years before Craig (which they could have easily not done and it would have been the better).

RDJ is Tony Stark, recasting that character would be a joke. Its possible to do but it just wont be the same and not in a good way. Itll be a step down.

Tony Stark will almost be in his grandpa years, come phase 4. Nobody wants to see grandpa Stark suit up in phase 4-5.

Tony Stark will almost be in his grandpa years, come phase 4. Nobody wants to see grandpa Stark suit up in phase 4-5.

You don't, others will. No one cares that Tom Cruise will be 55 or 56 when he does the next Mission Impossible or Liam Neeson is in his 60s taking out guys. And Tony Stark is not nearly as much of a role reliant on the physical

RDJ's 4 years older than Paul Rudd and 2 years older than Ruffalo. Bettany and Renner are 44 . All these guys will be close to or over 50 by Phase 4 and Boseman and Cumberbatch will be over 40 when their first movies come out. Technically, they're all old enough to be grandfathers.

You don't, others will. No one cares that Tom Cruise will be 55 or 56 when he does the next Mission Impossible or Liam Neeson is in his 60s taking out guys. And Tony Stark is not nearly as much of a role reliant on the physical

RDJ's 4 years older than Paul Rudd and 2 years older than Ruffalo. Bettany and Renner are 44 . All these guys will be close to or over 50 by Phase 4 and Boseman and Cumberbatch will be over 40 when their first movies come out. Technically, they're all old enough to be grandfathers.

I am still in disbelief that Chadwick is 38.

Well, good thing the MCU isn't a single character and the Avengers isn't one singular roster. :whatever:

Paul Rudd is the only actor that is older than RDJ when he first started. Boseman and Cumberbatch are still about 10 years younger than RDJ, and that is probably the shelf life for superheroes in the MCU before they're phased out by newer, younger, heroes. RDJ will be about 55 by the start of phase 4 and nearing 60 by the start of phase 5. That's close to grandpa years. 40 isn't what I would call grandpa years.

It's not just about age, though. The Avengers have always been about a shifting roster and I think it's a very likely scenario to have Avengers movies focus on an entirely new set of characters. I mean, as cool as Iron Man is, he doesn't need to be the center of attention. I could see Marvel retiring, or even possibly killing off Tony Stark.

Last edited:
It's VERY shortsighted to assume that Marvel is not going to recast these parts so as to have viable continuing franchises for the future. Whether they renegotiate these parts in the short term or not, at some point someone else will be Tony Stark/Iron Man, someone else will be Steve Rogers/Capt. America. The actors are great... But they are not bigger than the character. This opinion of Evans and RDJ being bigger than the characters seems obtuse to me. Imagine if the comics had taken this approach in terms of the creators. "Well, obviously no one is ever going to be as good at doing Thor than Walt Simonson... best to just never make another Thor comic. Denny O'neil and Neal Adams' run in Detective Comics is so definitive... There's no reason to publish Batman ever again."

Once again... The last 8 years is not the end all be all of entertainment history.

The problem that leads to the "too many characters" complaint is not having too many characters.

The problem is having a lot of characters and then attempting to give too many of them some kind of meaningful character arc or sub plot. You could possibly end up writing something a good portion of the audience finds "bad" as in the AOU Thor side mission or the banner widow romance.

No one ever complains that the XMEN movies have too many characters because those movies focus on like 4 characters and everyone else is a minor supporting character or in some cases they are practically glorified extras.

imo Marvel needs to be more willing to follow this model. I know its hard to do when you're writing for the higher caliber stars that marvel tends to hire but it can make for a better movie to not have to come up with some special BS for them to do all the time.

Last edited:
It doesn't help that several disparate plotlines have been teased, you've got Spider-Man's intro with aunt May in toe, Black Panther being a free agent, Wanda having an "emotional journey", Vision having the same, Black Widow being a mentor, Hawkeye getting a lot more action, Ant-Man becoming a giant, Crossbones' return.

And that aside from the core conflict between Steve and Tony and Bucky. Then there's also Zemo.

Either it'll be a huge mess, or several of those end up vastly underrepresented, which angers someone.

No one ever complains that the XMEN movies have too many characters because those movies focus on like 4 characters and everyone else is a minor supporting character or in some cases they are practically glorified extras.

imo Marvel needs to be more willing to follow this model. I know its hard to do when you're writing for the higher caliber stars that marvel tends to hire but it can make for a better movie to not have to come up with some special BS for them to do all the time.

It sounds like they are following that to a certain extent. They already confirmed most of the Avengers not named Iron Man or specifically connected to the Cap franchise in the movies (Black Widow and Falcon) don't have their own arcs. If anyone is looking for meaningful character development for Scarlet Witch and Ant-Man in it, they're probably in the wrong place.

I dont think recasting Tony or Steve will be a good thing. I guess it depends on who they get but those actors are so identified as those heroes, it will just turn it into a low budget/so so version of the originals. I really dont have a lot of interest in that as a fan. I mean anything is possible, I'll have to judge it when it happens.

People worrying about recasting need to realise that it will happen eventually. James Bond is the biggest example of this. No one ever thought Connery could be replaced. Connery leaving and being replaced was an infinitely bigger deal in the the late 60s than the comparatively minor issues going on with recasting our comic book heroes today. RDJ, Chris Evans, doesn't matter they're replaceable. It's something you don't have to like but accept it will happen at some point.

People worrying about recasting need to realise that it will happen eventually. James Bond is the biggest example of this. No one ever thought Connery could be replaced. Connery leaving and being replaced was an infinitely bigger deal in the the late 60s than the comparatively minor issues going on with recasting our comic book heroes today. RDJ, Chris Evans, doesn't matter they're replaceable. It's something you don't have to like but accept it will happen at some point.

James Bond is a terrible example. The MCU is NOT based off a singular hero. If James Bond were an Avenger, the character would eventually get phased out, not re-cast.

Iron Man is already a more popular character than any of the other Avengers. Sans Spider-Man, it's really unlikely they are going to introduce any new MCU heroes who ever achieve the singular popularity of Tony Stark.

That's not a knock on any of them, anyone who has ever seen me post here knows I'm looking forward to Black Panther and Captain Marvel way more than any other MCU offerings. But I don't think anyone is under any delusions that those movies or Inhumans, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange are gonna become so huge that they make everyone forget about Iron Man.

Disney isn't in the business of leaving money on the table.

I just cant realistically see RDJ retiring from that role and people forgetting the history of what he brought to it (he basically started the MCU) and instantly accepting some new guy as Tony. It wont be easy to transition from RDJ to someone else. And I dont expect the movies themselves to get better, theyll eventually dip in quality after hes gone.

It doesn't help that several disparate plotlines have been teased, you've got Spider-Man's intro with aunt May in toe, Black Panther being a free agent, Wanda having an "emotional journey", Vision having the same, Black Widow being a mentor, Hawkeye getting a lot more action, Ant-Man becoming a giant, Crossbones' return.

And that aside from the core conflict between Steve and Tony and Bucky. Then there's also Zemo.

Either it'll be a huge mess, or several of those end up vastly underrepresented, which angers someone.

It says Captain America in the title. If some people are angered that not every character is going to get a big arc then they are deluded and also have never read a comic book where name characters often have supporting roles, small roles or cameos in another character's comic or big arc.

Last edited:
It says Captain America in the title. If some people are angered that not every character is going to get a big arc then they are deluded and also have never read a comic book where name characters often have supporting roles, small roles or cameos in another character's comic or big arc.

You need only look around this very forum to see that people do have expectations for every single character.

They called it Captain America: Civil War, not Avengers: Civil War for a reason. :)

And yet, people are expecting a sizable arc for the Vision, is what I'm saying.

Many of these things could be accomplished in just a couple of scenes. Ant-Man going giant could be a single scene in the movie, the same could be said about BW being a mentor. Maybe she's mentoring Scarlet Witch at the begging of the movie. You know, girl talk or something. The Russos did a great job at juggling the characters they had in TWS. I see no problem here.

Iron Man is already a more popular character than any of the other Avengers. Sans Spider-Man, it's really unlikely they are going to introduce any new MCU heroes who ever achieve the singular popularity of Tony Stark.

That's not a knock on any of them, anyone who has ever seen me post here knows I'm looking forward to Black Panther and Captain Marvel way more than any other MCU offerings. But I don't think anyone is under any delusions that those movies or Inhumans, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange are gonna become so huge that they make everyone forget about Iron Man.

Disney isn't in the business of leaving money on the table.
Nobody thought the first Iron Man was going to be that big of a success either.

If Black Panther turns out well in a supporting role, the fanfare he will get for the solo film in a few years could rival the hype surrounding Iron Man. Not saying people will forget about Iron Man, but from what we have heard from Boseman...he "gets" Panther, much like RDJ epitomized Stark.

I just wouldn't count it out.

If the new Phase 3 films are successful, like Panther, Strange, etc... I could see Marvel moving towards sequels to the Phase 3 films in Phase 4, with the current Avengers also included in "team up" roles. Much like Hulk in the Thor film.

I don't think we need an Iron Man 4. I personally think Stark is at his best surrounded by the Avengers. IM2 and IM3 were nothing special to me.

I don't think you can compare any MCU character to James Bond in terms of "replacement" ...I think it's easier for them to pass the mantle on or kill off the character and have someone else take their place. That feels more natural then if they ever decide to reboot the MCU or something decades from now, then recast.

BW being a mentor for a minute before they become enemies would end up underwhelming to fans who were looking forward to it.

Which was what I was referring to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"