Is it time for Keaton to “Return”?

Rorschach2012

Batman is my Dad
Reaction score
I’ve been reading a lot of discussion about this new Elseworlds label that starts with Joaquin Phoenix’s “Joker”, and I’ve seen a LOT of talk about Michael Keaton potentially returning as Batman under this label. From what I understand, the general consensus is that a future Batman movie should be next in line under this new label, and there’s no one better to play the role than Keaton.

There’s so much potential for a storyline like this. This is ground that has been extensively covered in the comics and animation, and it’s something I’m sure the fans would love to see. They could mine The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Beyond, or even Kingdom Come for this new story. There’s just so much potential.

I personally think it would be perfect to close out Burton’s series with one more film, and I really hope WB notices all this talk about Keaton potentially returning.

And if you don’t believe me about how much people are talking about this, here are some references:

Why Michael Keaton is the Batman we need right now

If you scroll down, there’s a big discussion about Keaton returning here

What do you guys think? Is it time? Personally, I think if they ever do a future Batman movie, it has to be Keaton, and it has to be now. Or else they’re going to have to wait 30 years to get Bale to do it. With ANOTHER Batman reboot on the horizon, I feel like this would feel a bit more fresh, it’s the perfect direction to take the DC movies, and the logical next step for this Elseworlds label.

I feel like now would be the time for it considering Keaton has been experiencing a renaissance in his career in recent years.

If they get around to doing Batman Beyond, they should throw a blank check book at Keaton.

Last edited:
Yes, but not for a "Batman Beyond" adaptation.
I'd have it be a "Dark Knight Returns" kind of story. And of course Tim Burton would have to return, as well.

If they get around to doing Batman Beyond, they should throw a blank check book at Keaton.

I couldn’t agree more.

I’d LOVE to see a Batman Beyond movie - period - but one starring Keaton would be...I don’t even know. :awesome: If he’s up for it, this needs to be made yesterday.

That was going to be my next question. Should Burton return? I don’t think it’s 100% necessary. Look what Villeneuve did with Blade Runner 2049. A new director could come on board and do something special as long as they have respect for the universe Tim created. Tim would at least have to be on board as a producer.

Yeah, I think that Burton should return. There aren't many directors who have that same kind of sensibility AND knack for kooky visuals.

@OutOfBoose: Tim Burton and Michael Keaton never got to finish their Batman story. And they very much would have liked to. Burton reveals on the audio commentary that he met with the studio, but was pretty much talked out of it by the execs. So there you've got your artistic necessity.

@-JKR- I see. Well, who knows what he had in mind and if it's worth it. If he had an idea for the third film in 90s, it's clearly impossible to do it the way he wanted to since too much time passed since then. Maybe there's something about doing a story about 60 years old Bruce Wayne, but I seriously doubt that's how he wanted to end it.

I'd be up for the return of Keaton's Batman, especially if it's with Burton or stays true to Burton's movies. I'm not interested in Batman Beyond.

It’s just a shame that they wasted the armored Batman vs Superman fight on BvS. It didn’t feel earned at all, and would be much more appropriate in a future Batman film with Keaton.

And man, imagine if they could get Nicholson to come back for a small role...

I'd love to see a third installment, a real final act to Burton's Batman/Bruce Wayne story (if it had to be an adaptation I'd take The Dark Knight Returns over Batman Beyond, but I'd rather it was an original story - unless of course Kingdom Come was on the table). So long as Keaton and Burton are both up for it, as far as I'm concerned any time is the right time. The sooner the better.

I hate to be morbid, but the door is closing on an appearance from Nicholson. Burton’s universe was far from realistic, they could come up with some kind of way to bring Joker back.

Pfeiffer returning would be a must. Hell, they could even give Billy Dee a small cameo.

I’d love to see Keaton’s Batman paired up with Carrie Kelly.

I wouldn't bring the Joker back, though. Let's continue the story with Selina Kyle, and maybe bring Two-Face into the mix. Some other villain.

Not a fun of the idea. Tim Burton's Batman saga was good for a pioneering cb adaptation, but i believe nowadays is far from what is being produced. What endears the most about those movies to me is the bizarre gothic atmosphere of Gotham.

I hate to be morbid, but the door is closing on an appearance from Nicholson. Burton’s universe was far from realistic, they could come up with some kind of way to bring Joker back.

I think he pulled out of the Toni Erdmann remake recently and hasn't worked since 2010.

Sadly, I think his acting career is over.

Didn't he left a few years ago because of memory problems?

I would have liked to have seen the proposed Batman 5 where Nic Cage’s Scarecrow brought Jack Joker back from the dead via hallucinations.

I wouldn't bring the Joker back, though. Let's continue the story with Selina Kyle, and maybe bring Two-Face into the mix. Some other villain.
I agree about not bringing Joker back. Definitely want to see an older Selina. And I'd love to see/have seen Burton's take on Scarecrow.

I'd honestly love it, but I bet both Keaton and Pfeiffer would ask for ridiculous amounts of money to do it.

I'd honestly love it, but I bet both Keaton and Pfeiffer would ask for ridiculous amounts of money to do it.
Probably. Although Keaton's said in interviews that if Burton was on board he'd love to come back as Batman.

It would be a dream come true. And with DC's new movie label focusing on stand-alone movies featuring their iconic characters, they have a great excuse to make a new movie with Tim Burton, Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeiffer. The only real downside would be not seeing Michael Gough and Pat Hingle again in their roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"