It's Clobbering Time! The Ben Grimm/ Thing moments we want to see in the MCU

The Thing looks like this:

La-Cosa.png

500full.jpg

20a24265eddccf32d670cec330d87ff2--marvel-vs-marvel-heroes.jpg

thing.jpg

Not this:

Thing.jpg

To call the Trank design terrible is an understatement. It's not even close.

I'm just letting him hang himself with his own noose. It's like we're seeing future posts we'll laugh at again later (like those from the FFINO defenders in previous Keep Hope Alive threads) being written before our very eyes. :hehe:

The Thing looks like this:

La-Cosa.png

500full.jpg

20a24265eddccf32d670cec330d87ff2--marvel-vs-marvel-heroes.jpg

thing.jpg

Not this:

Thing.jpg

To call the Trank design terrible is an understatement. It's not even close.

Yes The Thing looks like Doo Doo, I got it. And Doo doo cracks often look round and smooth and thats what you prefer over Jagged rocks. I get you, I just need the same medicine you're on to agree with you that Doo Doo would look better than rocks.

I get that Tranks design wasn't accurate but to think that going more comic accurate is gonna look "better" on screen is high talk. Pieces of Doo Doo don't have lips either hahahaha and thats exactly what the Comic version of The Thing looks like.

roger_corman_fantastic_four_documentary_t.jpg

hahahahaha! Look alot of people enjoy crap, I get it. No Judgement and I'm not hating just laughing and I'll continue to do so.

Yes The Thing looks like Doo Doo, I got it. And Doo doo cracks often look round and smooth and thats what you prefer over Jagged rocks. I get you, I just need the same medicine you're on to agree with you that Doo Doo would look better than rocks.

I get that Tranks design wasn't accurate but to think that going more comic accurate is gonna look "better" on screen is high talk. Pieces of Doo Doo don't have lips either hahahaha and thats exactly what the Comic version of The Thing looks like.

roger_corman_fantastic_four_documentary_t.jpg

hahahahaha! Look alot of people enjoy crap, I get it. No Judgement and I'm not hating just laughing and I'll continue to do so.

Sounds like you are trolling to me.

Just like FFINO, Trank's design is an abomination.

Trank and his Fox cohorts managed to make a totally cgi creation look worse than a guy in a rubber suit. Not to mention that little, weedy Jamie Bell is nothing like the brawny Ben Grimm from the comics. At least that stupid line from the trailer where Teller referred Bell as "the muscle" was dropped from the movie. :whatever:

Trank and his Fox cohorts managed to make a totally cgi creation look worse than a guy in a rubber suit. Not to mention that little, weedy Jamie Bell is nothing like the brawny Ben Grimm from the comics. At least that stupid line from the trailer where Teller referred Bell as "the muscle" was dropped from the movie. :whatever:

That was quite an accomplishment!

I want Ben to be built like the classic/Kirby version:

b4d53c67-2b99-4dc4-9abf-096557c9e13c.jpg
51c0c394-3200-4392-a6ce-0fe54537ee41.jpg

The Teddy Bear-esque look. He should look loveable in the way that I could see Marvel turning him into the next Baby Groot in terms of merchandising

I wanna see Ben walking around New York City in comically over sized clothes, sports Jerseys etc. Show him trying to be normal while obviously sticking out like a sore thumb. And they gotta show the connection he and Johnny have. It can't just be Johnny being an ass to Ben. The affection has got to be there too.

The Teddy Bear-esque look. He should look loveable in the way that I could see Marvel turning him into the next Baby Groot in terms of merchandising

:up: This design is close to perfect for me.

I wanna see Ben walking around New York City in comically over sized clothes, sports Jerseys etc. Show him trying to be normal while obviously sticking out like a sore thumb. And they gotta show the connection he and Johnny have. It can't just be Johnny being an ass to Ben. The affection has got to be there too.

:up:

51c0c394-3200-4392-a6ce-0fe54537ee41.jpg

That's exactly how he should be. The other designs from the Story or Trank movies didn't make him remotely lovable at all. They completely missed the point of how Ben Grimm should be the everyman of the Marvel Universe who is universally loved by all the other heroes and by the public. He is the most popular member of the Fantastic Four.

This scene from the Imaginauts story perfectly demonstrates how the public loves him. As Sue says in one panel: "Seems you have some fans, Mr 'Everybody thinks I'm a monster'".

1g4IjXE.jpg

RoELrqd.jpg

Also I want dialogue like this one where he typically talks about giving some celebrity a run for their money in the looks department:

3yp6Y6H.jpg

He's done that several times throughout the comics. I believe at the end of Marvel Two-In-One #50 he said the same thing in reference to Robert Redford.

Apparently Ben Grimm's catchphrase "Whatta revoltin' development!" is borrowed from comedian William Bendix whose frequent exclamation "Whatta revoltin' development this is" became one of the most famous catchphrases of the 1940s. He used this in a sitcom called "The Life of Riley".

Apparently Ben Grimm's catchphrase "Whatta revoltin' development!" is borrowed from comedian William Bendix whose frequent exclamation "Whatta revoltin' development this is" became one of the most famous catchphrases of the 1940s. He used this in a sitcom called "The Life of Riley".

:up:

There's a scene in the story-line that runs from about 196-200 in which Ben is visiting Sue in Hollywood and runs into William Bendix and gets all excited.

I hope they don't shy away from making him look frightening, just because they think kids might be scared. His personality is what makes him lovable. Chewbacca is proof that a character with an intimidating or bizarre appearance can be marketed towards children.

I hope they don't shy away from making him look frightening, just because they think kids might be scared. His personality is what makes him lovable. Chewbacca is proof that a character with an intimidating or bizarre appearance can be marketed towards children.

It's not just his personality that makes him lovable. It's his appearance too. Have you not seen all the pics in this thread?

And Groot's appearance, either in adult form or as Baby Groot wasn't frightening but more adorable.

Funny. I never seen Ben's appearance as being scary, with the exception of his early days look, which was grotesque.

I think, like Chewbacca, his appearance is frightening if you don't know who or what he is.

Imagine meeting up with this:

$

with no idea who or what he is. I think that would be pretty frightening. Simply put, that's a monster.

The problem with the Fox designs in the past is they've tried to make him appear ugly and tragic - like a burn victim or something - and that's not the Thing.

The above design is The Thing and it's perfect. He can be frightening or not depending on what you know about him - just like Chewbacca.

Last edited:
Funny. I never seen Ben's appearance as being scary, with the exception of his early days look, which was grotesque.

Marvel Two-in-One #50 had a big explanation for all of this. I think Reed talked about how, over time, Ben Grimm has adapted and become more comfortable with being the Thing, which is part of why his appearance has changed. That's why a cure that Reed devised wouldn't work for Grimm in the present, and why he went back in time to try to give it to his earlier self.

Ben Grimm saw his early self and saw how bitter he was. He even remarked how he was ugly compared to the more classic Thing that everyone loves. The early Thing didn't have the trademark self-deprecating humour either but had very bitter, cutting comments where he often would threaten to kill people, especially Reed. He was far from lovable whatsoever but more of a loose cannon who could barely be contained, almost like Wolverine.

That's not the Thing that everyone loves though, either in appearance or personality. The MCU would do well do skip that version. Don't wait for a sequel. We've already even had a version like that in the Trank movie with Jamie Bell.

Just let him have been the Thing for a while, and let him display his trademark humour and wit, and make him loved by all. One thing they could even play on is that he seems to be loved more as the Thing than he ever was just as Ben Grimm, which could also be another subconscious reason why he can't be cured, because he thinks that if he is just normal Grimm, people might not celebrate him as much. That was a similar reason to why he couldn't change back because he thought Alicia only loved him as the Thing.

Eh... Ben's pathos is a big part of his character, as is Reed's guilt about his friend's situation. Just because it hasn't been adapted well on screen in live action before is not a compelling reason right now to skip over it.

Also, given the Marvel Studios track record I doubt we end up with a film where the FF are already active. We are gonna likely get a look at their origins. Ben's angst is a part of that. The audience needs to see what informs the characters. Starting out with Ben having already adjusted to being the Thing robs the story of a lot of meaty dramatics. Yes, he should eventually be everybody's favorite blue eye'd Thing, but starting him off in the MCU proper as if he's made his peace with his old life being gone feels off to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"