I AM DOOM! : The Doctor Doom Moments We Want To See In The MCU

I suppose if Marvel like what they see they might use Hawley's script for their own Doom.

Not if Doom is an angry IT nerd though lol

Doom would likely make his debut in an MCU film not a solo movie primarily based on him.

Fox projects in preliminary development can die a quick death now.

I think a Doom solo would be more than just a gloss on PHANTOM MENACE. For one, just because he's the main character/protagonist doesn't automatically make him cute and cuddly. I mean, we've got his narcissism, ruthlessness, leading a revolution in his home country... these things can happen all before he puts the armor on. It's good meaty stuff. Basically Doom is an ******* with industrial strength self regard... but he can back it up. A film about his rise to power as well tackling his personality and covering the basis for his rivalry with Reed would do some heavy lifting that kind of frees up an FF film to not have to cover that part of his character.

He's a complex man who has genuinely struggled to get to where he is, I'd watch that film.

He's a complex man who has genuinely struggled to get to where he is, I'd watch that film.

It's good stuff to for what it could provide for supporting characters in his orbit as well. Valeria, his first true love, Boris, her father... I mean, how do people like that react to a man like Doom? So much to admire but also so much human ugliness. I think the story of such a character could be epic if done correctly.

I'm not sure we will see RDJ as Iron Man in the near future but man... Would I love a scene like this at some point.

[YT]My7YVK8bx8s[/YT]

Depending on how they use Doom and the FF, and whether they'll go with the characters being older, they could make use of Doom's Cold War origins in a way that I think would be interesting. Plus, I'd be a sucker for Latveria having some of that older, medieval meets high tech aesthetic that Kirby introduced.

Depending on how they use Doom and the FF, and whether they'll go with the characters being older, they could make use of Doom's Cold War origins in a way that I think would be interesting.

Fury: "Rogers... You missed a lot, remember? So... Let me just tell you this... There were two countries in the world that were on the sidelines of the great game we played against the Russians for decades... Wakanda and Latveria. Wakanda, because they didn't have any use for the rest of us... And Latveria? Well, after Doom came to power America and the Soviets were afraid to bring him onto the board. Because he would have removed everyone else playing."

#Jacksonvoice

Fury: "Rogers... You missed a lot, remember? So... Let me just tell you this... There were two countries in the world that were on the sidelines of the great game we played against the Russians for decades... Wakanda and Latveria. Wakanda, because they didn't have any use for the rest of us... And Latveria? Well, after Doom came to power America and the Soviets were afraid to bring him onto the board. Because he would have removed everyone else playing."

#Jacksonvoice

CIA, KGB, SHIELD, Hydra, they're all just ants in Doom's sandbox.

I'm not even sure Fox is even that fully committed to the idea of a Doctor Doom film.

Exactly.

I think the only reason we ever heard of it is because Fox wanted to put pressure on Marvel to get this deal done.

After they killed the possibility of another FF film through their own incompetent handling of the characters, they were trying to find other routes and convince Marvel they would retain the FF rights if Disney didn't make some sort of deal.

We heard rumors of the Franklin and Valeria movie, and then, shortly after those broke, Hawley announced that he was working on a Doom film.

Fox has hundreds of people working on scripts that will never happen, and the Hawley/Doom script is one of them.

How high of a priority is this? Well Hawley announced it in July and now, six months later, the script - just the script, the most simple, basic, initial step of any project - is still on his 'to-do' list.

I think a Doom solo would be more than just a gloss on PHANTOM MENACE. For one, just because he's the main character/protagonist doesn't automatically make him cute and cuddly. I mean, we've got his narcissism, ruthlessness, leading a revolution in his home country... these things can happen all before he puts the armor on. It's good meaty stuff. Basically Doom is an ******* with industrial strength self regard... but he can back it up. A film about his rise to power as well tackling his personality and covering the basis for his rivalry with Reed would do some heavy lifting that kind of frees up an FF film to not have to cover that part of his character.

IF they did it, he should be more 'Damien' than Anakin.

When his parents die, he shouldn't have the typical childish reaction of fear and sadness. He should react with raw hatred towards the Latverian nobility who TOOK what belonged to him.

And if done right, the Latverian nobility would be portrayed as such complete, insufferable bastards that the audience would be, grudgingly, rooting for Doom as he appears in full armor at the end and brutally, brutally murders all the men, women, children and dogs of the ruling class.

King Vladimir was portrayed as an even more heinous tyrant than Doom (I believe the comics even gave him a connection to the Red Skull back in WW2, not to mention the way the Roma people were treated under his rule) so I think it's entirely feasible for a talented writer/director to pull off a scenario where a megalomaniacal sorcerer/genius is the preferred choice.

A solo Doctor Doom movie can work. Just make it 'The Last King of Scotland meets supervillians' and you got an all-timer on your hands but make it after you do finally do him justice in a good Fantastic Four film.

And take inspiration from the excellent Books Of Doom while your at it.

[YT]Yx9P_37Xdj4[/YT]

hqdefault.jpg

King Vladimir was portrayed as an even more heinous tyrant than Doom (I believe the comics even gave him a connection to the Red Skull back in WW2, not to mention the way the Roma people were treated under his rule) so I think it's entirely feasible for a talented writer/director to pull off a scenario where a megalomaniacal sorcerer/genius is the preferred choice.

Make vladamir to have treated jews even worse and you have your answer to a possible magneto backstory aswell (if they want a younger actor than could have been alive in the second world war).

I'm not a fan of making Dooms predecessors worse than him, why try to justify his actions? Dr Doom is a villain, a monstrous tyrant, the worse he treats his subjects the more evil he is shown to be.
You don't want to send the message that Dooms model of government is a good one, to suggest that autocratic dictatorships can be ok.
I'd go the other way, with Latveria being an eastern European country that is making it's first shaky steps towards a true democracy before Doom seizes power.

I'm not a fan of making Dooms predecessors worse than him, why try to justify his actions? Dr Doom is a villain, a monstrous tyrant, the worse he treats his subjects the more evil he is shown to be.
You don't want to send the message that Dooms model of government is a good one, to suggest that autocratic dictatorships can be ok.
I'd go the other way, with Latveria being an eastern European country that is making it's first shaky steps towards a true democracy before Doom seizes power.

I'd prefer a more 3 dimensional character. He's bad but there are reasons for him being bad, he does evil things but in his own mind he has justifications.
You could even have it both ways. Vladamir was a tyrant and treated the roma and doom terribly. Then his son takes over wanting to make reform but doom takes no pity and takes over.

Two reasons:

1. That's the way it is in the comics.

2. Those are the kind of conditions that create real-life brutal dictators.

I don't think it "justifies" his obviously wrong actions, but Doom is a complex, iconic classic character, and film-makers shouldn't try to change who he is. They should simply find ways to put him on the big-screen.

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created literally thousands of villains, and Doom, for reasons we may or may not fully understand, rose to become the greatest.

I think the biggest mistake film-makers make is to believe they can 'fix' flaws they see in these characters. They are who they are and they work, so film-makers shouldn't presume their vision is better than the one that has withstood the test of time.

I've always viewed films like elseworlds, they should be willing to take new twists on characters and stories. Of course I can understand being apprehensive of this given the history of Dr Doom on film.
What if the idea of the regime before Doom being worse is propaganda put out by Doom. Latveria is a South Korea like state, where all knowledge is controlled by Doom, and history altered to his liking.

I've always viewed films like elseworlds, they should be willing to take new twists on characters and stories. Of course I can understand being apprehensive of this given the history of Dr Doom on film.
What if the idea of the regime before Doom being worse is propaganda put out by Doom. Latveria is a South Korea like state, where all knowledge is controlled by Doom, and history altered to his liking.

Sure, I think some changes HAVE to change, but there are certain key, defining elements that make characters who they are, and I think Doom's origin is one of those key, defining things.

I may be alone in this, but I've always thought Doom's origin was sublime in that it showed Kirby and Lee really understood the elements that make a dictator a dictator (as two Jews who witnessed Hitler's rise and fall might).

If you look at Hitler or Stalin or even Saddam Hussein, you'll see all of them grew up poor in times and places in which they and their families were looked down upon and treated as sub-human by the rich and powerful.

That drove them to make themselves the ones in power and once there, they treated the people below them as they felt they had been treated.

So when I read Fantastic Four Annual #2, I see something more than a simple story of one way Doom might have come to be. I see it as a masterful examination of how a child could become one of the most ambitious and ruthless people in the world.

Politics
You could have Doom as a Sokovian who rises up to turn his country into Latveria, rebuilding a new city over the crater, now called Wundagore (Wundagore means "wound", perhaps more apt to a crater than a mountain).
He may well bare a grudge against Wakanda, allying himself with Atlantis, perhaps.

Technology
He mastered technology by studying the Ultron and Hydra-tech left over after the Battle of Sokovia, improving and honing it to his designs, and using it to rebuild Sokovia into Latveria.

Sorcery
To save his mother, he travelled to Kamar-Taj, then fell out with the Ancient One and joined Morgan LeFaye's Darkholders, based in Sokovia, adding Chthon's knowledge to that of the Vishanti he had gained from Kamar-Taj, making him a truly formidable sorcerer; knowledgeable in both white and black magic.

Last edited:
:O I love that idea that the chaos in sokovia means they turn to extremism and fall prey to a dictator like doom. Gosh what a clever idea.

I haven't heard that clever an idea since someone suggested paul Bethany should eventually play vision which of course was an idea so clever marvel adopted it and made it canon. This is why I love fan online communities

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"