MCU Doctor Doom

I'd prefer something a bit more simplistic and accurate to the comics. Cheapness aside, I thought the look of Doom in the '94 Roger Corman produced film was pretty ideal. I thought Doom also looked pretty decent in '05.

I'd prefer something a bit more simplistic and accurate to the comics. Cheapness aside, I thought the look of Doom in the '94 Roger Corman produced film was pretty ideal. I thought Doom also looked pretty decent in '05.
I thought the Corman design was an admirable attempt at doing a straight translation of the comics but for myself it kind of showed that there is indeed such thing as being too faithful to the comics.

Granted, better production values could’ve made it look better but that suit just didn’t work for me since I just think being 100% faithful to the comics Doom design in live-action is a fools errand since what looks great in the 2D inked world of comics won’t always look good in the three dimensional reality of live-action. I do agree the Story films design looked decent, but I didn’t like that they turned the green tunic into essentially a long jacket he wears over his business suits...

This design I think is a near perfect balance of being faithful to classic comics design while also making work in a live-action context. I don’t think it strays too far in either direction. Hence why I like it. It looks recognizably like the character but still looks believable in the real world just like most of the best MCU take on the costumes tend to be.

Last edited:
I’m really digging this design.

What’s the verdict here? I really think this design is good enough to be used in a feature film.

Eh... That's"State Dinner Doom."

That's the armor he pulls out when hosting dignitaries and showing off Latverian culture by taking an ambassador to the opera house.

The faux traditional armor flourishes feel too much from another time for me. Like Doom is prepping for the Renn Fest.

The faux traditional armor flourishes feel too much from another time for me. Like Doom is prepping for the Renn Fest.
That’s perhaps part of why I like it so much. I think the armor not only looks cool, but really exudes an elegant medieval feel that I think feels pretty realistic, and further accentuates the regal qualities of Doom. Besides, I always kind of imagined Doom was a big afficiondado for old-school Latverian history and armor and likely would want something that pays homage to it in some way. So I kind of think it makes some sense for him to go a little retro.

It doesn’t even have to be his final MCU costume; just the one he starts out with at the beginning before he transitions into a more modernized, up-to-date version later on. Either way, the design is definitely good enough for me, and I wouldn’t mind if Marvel used this design whenever they decide to do Doom in the MCU.

Last edited:
Someone said that Latveria could rise united from the ashes of Sokovia and I'd be down with that.

Cryptic and intriguing.

Feige really needs to get on the Doom train.

Cryptic and intriguing.

Feige really needs to get on the Doom train.
Hopefully Feige and co are aware of Doom's Romani heritage as this plays a pretty big part in his origins

Seems many are unaware of this tho :csad:

Hopefully Feige and co are aware of Doom's Romani heritage as this plays a pretty big part in his origins

I am confident Feige will not forget that aspect of his background.

Look at their commitment to diversity post BP and CM in what is being made and who gets to be seen on screen.

They can't show Doom's origin without going into his heritage. So if he gets any kind of backstory, which he most likely will, his Romani culture will be evident.

How do you think they will reveal Doom? Because I would love a completely over the top entrance like Sephiroth had in the smash bros trailer

I feel like they might wait a little while with Doom just to spread their villains out a bit. It seems like they're already setting up at least Kang and Zemo/Thunderbolts/MoE as recurring villains, possibly Mephisto too. Adding Doom to that could maybe be a bit much?

^ with the year we have had thus far, NOTHING is off the table

Eh... That's"State Dinner Doom."

That's the armor he pulls out when hosting dignitaries and showing off Latverian culture by taking an ambassador to the opera house.

Doctor-Doom-1280x720.jpg

I’d prefer something simpler along the lines of the classic design, but I wonder if we might see shades of Infamous Iron Man in MCU?

1*BEj21KstG-yhDmktHi5bGg.jpeg

I don’t see Victor needing to steal Tony’s tech, but maybe he purposefully crafts a faceplate to be evocative of Earth’s Avenger—he’s banking on their love for their fallen idol & twisting it into obedience and loyalty.

The cloak itself is a nod to Doom’s mystical background and, like Doctor Strange’s, would have magical properties imbued within.

If age wasn’t an issue, I’d love to see Jeremy Iron was Dr. Doom

Would also love to see him as Grand Admiral Thrawn

Both seem very unlikely though :csad:

oh my gosh could you imagine? That would be so awesome if it was the book of doom done in the mandalorian style. Instead of the art during the credits they could use old Soviet propoganda style art of doom

How will they explain someone wearing a cape over an iron man suit??

How will they explain someone wearing a cape over an iron man suit??
They wouldn’t need to. Audiences don’t care by in large. For me, just suggest he’s repurposed old, medieval Latverian armor for his supervillain look and call it a day.

They wouldn’t need to. Audiences don’t care by in large. For me, just suggest he’s repurposed old, medieval Latverian armor for his supervillain look and call it a day.

I'm not worried about audiences. These movie ideas are run by people who might not have our sensibilities before money exchanges hands. That's why Doom was a businessman in the first movie wearing a custom tailored tunic to cover up his mutated form. They put effort into explaining Superman's cape in Man of Steel. Try to think of MCU characters who just wear capes for reasons of fashion. t'challa wasn't wearing his. Doc Strange has one but it was given a separate personality. Generally it is something alien or otherworldly characters get away with. Why? Because their customs are alien to us. You think some studio exec isn't going to pick up on that?

I'm not worried about audiences. These movie ideas are run by people who might not have our sensibilities before money exchanges hands. That's why Doom was a businessman in the first movie wearing a custom tailored tunic to cover up his mutated form. They put effort into explaining Superman's cape in Man of Steel. Try to think of MCU characters who just wear capes for reasons of fashion. t'challa wasn't wearing his. Doc Strange has one but it was given a separate personality. Generally it is something alien or otherworldly characters get away with. Why? Because their customs are alien to us. You think some studio exec isn't going to pick up on that?
Did they bother to explain Thor’s cape in the MCU?

Did they bother to explain Thor’s cape in the MCU?

He falls under the alien or otherworldly category. He's purposely anachronistic as are other asgardians. I'm hoping they keep doom's look and find some way to explain it. Could be that it's a carryover from hanging with the monks who built his mask. But I'm betting that they try to give it context. Because it is more out of place in the cinematic universe than in the comics where no one blinks at capes or underwear on the outside.

There is nothing wrong with the classic Kirby costume. It only needs minor alterations to bring it into live action. Any radical redesign or drastic modernization is a mistake.

These movie ideas are run by Kevin Feige, who has shown to share the sensibilities of comic book fans over his last decade of filmmaking. Doom will get his cape.

Doom wears his armor so that he is always ready to defend fair Latveria from outside aggressors. He wears a cloak over it as befitting his standing as monarch. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"