MCU Doctor Doom

Dictators often wear military uniforms. The armor just takes it one step further.

4f9f821492fff2a4fafbfa904d5ec41d.jpg

images

Not the strongest argument. I don't think that anyone would have an issue with the armor. And no the armor isn't one step further than a military uniform. Imagine how silly those medals would look on the outside of an iron man suit. Back to the cape/cloak, it is highly impractical. It isn't there to conceal anything. It's not there to enable flight or gliding. It isn't bulletproof or as durable as his armor. The hood would block his peripheral vision. The cape would be unwise to wear with jet boots. So the remaining explanation is that it's for fashion. This version of Iron Man wants to look pretty. Or he's embarrassed about his armor and wants to cover it up. I hope it's a ceremonial robe of some sort.

These movie ideas are run by Kevin Feige, who has shown to share the sensibilities of comic book fans over his last decade of filmmaking. Doom will get his cape.

Doom wears his armor so that he is always ready to defend fair Latveria from outside aggressors. He wears a cloak over it as befitting his standing as monarch. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

Feige has demonstrated that he knows better than fans. If fans dictated things, John Cena would be Captain America.

Doctor Doom having a cloak doesn’t need to be explained lol

Let’s move on. For the costume, I strongly prefer the original. It’s easily the best look IMO. I don’t really care for the furry cloak look or anything overly designed.

Keep it simple. Keep it classic.

Not the strongest argument. I don't think that anyone would have an issue with the armor. And no the armor isn't one step further than a military uniform. Imagine how silly those medals would look on the outside of an iron man suit. Back to the cape/cloak, it is highly impractical. It isn't there to conceal anything. It's not there to enable flight or gliding. It isn't bulletproof or as durable as his armor. The hood would block his peripheral vision. The cape would be unwise to wear with jet boots. So the remaining explanation is that it's for fashion. This version of Iron Man wants to look pretty. Or he's embarrassed about his armor and wants to cover it up. I hope it's a ceremonial robe of some sort.
Ceremonial robe works. But so does the cape simply being a sign of Doom's arrogance and flair for the dramatic.

Feige has demonstrated that he knows better than fans. If fans dictated things, John Cena would be Captain America.
And Benedict Cumberbatch Doctor Strange. :D

Seriously, Feige may be above some of the dumbest fan ideas, but he doesn't act like he's above the source material. MCU movies have been unapologetically fun and, for a lack of better word, comic-booky. I'd be surprised if he tried to change the classic look of Dr Doom too much.

Ceremonial robe works. But so does the cape simply being a sign of Doom's arrogance and flair for the dramatic.

And Benedict Cumberbatch Doctor Strange. :D

Seriously, Feige may be above some of the dumbest fan ideas, but he doesn't act like he's above the source material. MCU movies have been unapologetically fun and, for a lack of better word, comic-booky. I'd be surprised if he tried to change the classic look of Dr Doom too much.

Here's hoping.

Imagine how silly those medals would look on the outside of an iron man suit.

They look silly on Amin and Gaddafi and that’s the point. Dictators tend to be theatrical and dress up in costumes, so there’s nothing wrong with Doom being theatrical and dressing up in a costume.

Nobody can say, in response to Doom looking the way he’s supposed to look with armor and cape: “That’s silly. A dictator wouldn’t play dress-up in an attempt to look strong/intimidating/militaristic.”

That’s EXACTLY what real dictators do.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree. It’s like Idi Amin giving himself every title he could think of so he was like the grand professor general wizard of benevolence sir

They look silly on Amin and Gaddafi and that’s the point. Dictators tend to be theatrical and dress up in costumes, so there’s nothing wrong with Doom being theatrical and dressing up in a costume.

Nobody can say, in response to Doom looking the way he’s supposed to look with armor and cape: “That’s silly. A dictator wouldn’t play dress-up in an attempt to look strong/intimidating/militaristic.”

That’s EXACTLY what real dictators do.

Show me one wearing armor and a cloak.

Show me one wearing armor and a cloak.

Now you’re just being ridiculous. Show me an African king who wears a panther suit. Show me an industrialist who wears a yellow and gold metal suit. Show me a soldier who carries a shield and wears a red white and blue outfit.

I’ve given you examples of real-life dictators wearing garish pseudo-military costumes. You can’t give me anything even close to real-life versions of things we’ve already seen and accepted.

These are films based on comic book characters, and Doom is much less of a stretch than 100 other things we’ve already seen.

I think it’s safe to say you’re pretty much alone in having a problem with Doom looking the way he’s supposed to look. And since you’re the outlier, I think the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate why there’s a problem when the rest of us are fine with it.

Last edited:
Yeah also let’s remember we absolutely don’t need a dulled down Doctor doom after two goes at it with an angry incel doom and a generic angry ceo McMahon doom

Why does Doom need more a reason to wear a green cloak and cape other than "Because it looks impressive"?

With Jon Watts directing it really makes you wonder who their gonna get for Doom. Especially after they got Gyllenhaal for Mysterio. I really cant think of anyone obvious Watts might want for the role.

Now you’re just being ridiculous. Show me an African king who wears a panther suit. Show me an industrialist who wears a yellow and gold metal suit. Show me a soldier who carries a shield and wears a red white and blue outfit.

I’ve given you examples of real-life dictators wearing garish pseudo-military costumes. You can’t give me anything even close to real-life versions of things we’ve already seen and accepted.

These are films based on comic book characters, and Doom is much less of a stretch than 100 other things we’ve already seen.

I think it’s safe to say you’re pretty much alone in having a problem with Doom looking the way he’s supposed to look. And since you’re the outlier, I think the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate why there’s a problem when the rest of us are fine with it.

It sounds like Bryan Singer 2000 X- Men mentality where every costume choice had to be questioned. It was "Why would so and so ever go around wearing that? They wouldn't be caught dead in that. " And then people began ridiculing every choice that superheroes had worn for decades. They thought Iron Man would look like a walking Academy Award and that Spider-Man would look ridiculous in red and blue spandex. So everyone had to be in black leather.

And it's the same with Doom. Same kind of mentality that also began to creep in for Fant4stic and how people tried to justify all the changes and say they were happy with them.

It sounds like Bryan Singer 2000 X- Men mentality where every costume choice had to be questioned. It was "Why would so and so ever go around wearing that? They wouldn't be caught dead in that. " And then people began ridiculing every choice that superheroes had worn for decades. They thought Iron Man would look like a walking Academy Award and that Spider-Man would look ridiculous in red and blue spandex. So everyone had to be in black leather.

And it's the same with Doom. Same kind of mentality that also began to creep in for Fant4stic and how people tried to justify all the changes and say they were happy with them.

Yeah, it’s really the biggest flaw in Fox’s strategy.

They were constantly looking for things they could change from the comics while Marvel put a serious effort into maintaining elements from the comics.

And that’s why it was such a great day when the Marvel purchase of Fox became official.

With Jon Watts directing it really makes you wonder who their gonna get for Doom. Especially after they got Gyllenhaal for Mysterio. I really cant think of anyone obvious Watts might want for the role.

yeah good point, I never would have thought of Gyllenhaal for Mysterio but wow did it work

If I were alone, we would have already seen doom's classic costume. They wouldn't have made it a tunic in the tim story movie. Animal garb is not foreign to Africa. The Panther has religious significance to the Wakandans. Sam Wilson cracks a joke about the cat suit. This stuff isn't taken for granted. They are aware how silly it is. And they get ahead of it with explanation. Steve is wearing a militaristic uniform. There aren't feathers on the cowl. The buccaneer boots have been replaced with army boots. But they showed the classic look and explained it. Steve cast that suit away when it was time to be more than propaganda. There is nothing unusual about the iron man suit. It mirrors the designs of real world stuff. If Jeff bezos could make one, he'd be flying around in it. There's a practicality to an exoskeletal battle suit. It becomes far less practical when you add a green cape to the design. It becomes doubly weird when the individual wearing it is the recognized ruler of a farming community.

Andy Signore is trash but I do buy this rumor since there’s a precedent of Marvel using villains from other heroes rogues gallery for characters with a weak rogues gallery.

Ghost, who’s traditionally an Iron Man villain made their MCU debut in an Ant-Man movie, and the Mandarin who’s also traditionally an Iron Man baddie is making his official MCU debut in Shang-Chi. Not to mention, classic Avengers villain Kang is being used for the third Ant-Man film. So it’s totally possible Marvel could use an iconic villain for BP 2.

But if this rumor is true, I’m not excited about it as when it was first reported over a year ago because we lost Chadwick. I wanted to see T’Challa fight Doom in live-action for the first time now we won’t get that. Marvel isn’t recasting the role(which is a mistake, imo) so we have to contend with someone else facing off against Victor.

Last edited:
I'm down for Doctor Doom being the antagonist of BP2. I waited so long for Marvel to get their hands back on him that the sooner we see him the better in my book. And Doomwar is an excellent source material to pull from.

It's just... I have absolutely no idea what their plan is for BP2. You have to address T'Challa's absence. Is he assassinated by Doom off screen? May be poor taste considering Boseman's passing.

I'm down for Doctor Doom being the antagonist of BP2. I waited so long for Marvel to get their hands back on him that the sooner we see him the better in my book. And Doomwar is an excellent source material to pull from.

It's just... I have absolutely no idea what their plan is for BP2. You have to address T'Challa's absence. Is he assassinated by Doom off screen? May be poor taste considering Boseman's passing.

Well that is one way to make Doom memorable right off the bat if he is responsible for the "death" of T'Challa...but Doom's machinations, his brilliance, and his bad-ass iconic comic look, should be enough to impress the hell out of general audiences (and us Doom fanatics)

I just hope they make Reed Richards a part of his history and make that clear, even if they feature him in a different film.

The two smartest people in the Universe need to be linked rivals.

I just hope they make Reed Richards a part of his history and make that clear, even if they feature him in a different film.

The two smartest people in the Universe need to be linked rivals.

Amen Willie...I have no problem with Doom being enemies galore with multiple heroes/teams but at the end of the day, the F4 needs to be his ultimate thorn, but especially RICHARDS!!! Can you imagine as Doom spreads his reign across multiple films, maybe the last thing we see is a scene of Doom confronting Richards for the first time in years....his eyes tell all the story you need to know as he stares him down with contempt in his voice as utters...RICHARDS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"