MCU Doctor Doom

This would be AMAZING.

... so amazing it probably won’t happen.:csad:

Is there any reason tho think Marvel has sorted out the Namor rights?
Its to my understanding that the Namor situation is like the Hulk situation with Universal. Marvel already has the production rights to Namor, but not the distribution rights. So like Hulk, they could theoretically put him in other character’s solo movies and crossover flicks but they can’t make a Namor solo movie without Universal being the one to distribute it.

Its to my understanding that the Namor situation is like the Hulk situation with Universal. Marvel already has the production rights to Namor, but not the distribution rights. So like Hulk, they could theoretically put him in other character’s solo movies and crossover flicks but they can’t make a Namor solo movie without Universal being the one to distribute it.

:up: I remember someone once saying that Namor was more “complicated” than Hulk, but then someone else theorized that the complication was Namor’s status as a “Mutant” gave Fox a theoretical claim on him.

Now that the Fox issue has been eliminated, hopefully they have a clearer path.

Feige hisownself talked about said complication, which may be due to Namor officially making his debut in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly instead of Marvel Comics. The family of Subby creator Bill Everett may have rights to the character that need to get sorted out before he makes his first big screen appearance in the MCU.

Gossip is gossip but so many of the sites are saying that Michael Fassbender is in final negotiations to play Latveria's favorite son....if true, how do you feel that he goes from young Magneto to playing Doom? I am not sure how I feel...guess as long as he portrays the accent that I imagine Doom would have (Romani or not, even though that is a very important part of his character), is in control of Latveria, has his iconic comic book look, has an imposing voice coming out of that armored visage, science and sorcery mastered, etc....then I guess anything is possible

Love Fassbender to death, but I don't think he's a good fit for this character.

he always be Magneto - would love him in Secret Wars

Love Fassbender to death, but I don't think he's a good fit for this character.
Really? I think he's a perfect fit. The only thing I have against him is that he's already an iconic Marvel villain.

Gossip is gossip but so many of the sites are saying that Michael Fassbender is in final negotiations to play Latveria's favorite son....if true, how do you feel that he goes from young Magneto to playing Doom? I am not sure how I feel...guess as long as he portrays the accent that I imagine Doom would have (Romani or not, even though that is a very important part of his character), is in control of Latveria, has his iconic comic book look, has an imposing voice coming out of that armored visage, science and sorcery mastered, etc....then I guess anything is possible

He’s got the talent, but I’d really have to hear the accent to know it can work.

If Fassbender is Doom, is he going to even wear the mask very much or will he want to get as much exposure as possible? And will he agree to having a scarred face?

I'm still not really a fan of this casting choice. But to be fair, Fassbender has already done a movie where he's hidden under a mask and has to rely on his voice and physicality to portray the character. As for the accent, he can do a posh English one which I think wouldn't be out of character for Dr Doom. If Doom can master science and magic, why couldn't he master the correct pronunciation of the English language?

I'd be happy with Fassie. He's got the chops, the gravitas and is the right age and size for MCU Victor. And if he keeps the mask on there will be a sufficient separation with that other iconic Marvel villain he used to play. Hopefully he will be able to pull off a convincing vaguely Eastern European accent. His Irish/German mix in First Class was not so good.

I'm still not really a fan of this casting choice. But to be fair, Fassbender has already done a movie where he's hidden under a mask and has to rely on his voice and physicality to portray the character. As for the accent, he can do a posh English one which I think wouldn't be out of character for Dr Doom. If Doom can master science and magic, why couldn't he master the correct pronunciation of the English language?

Which movie are you referring to?

I don't think a posh English accent is suitable for Doom.

I'd be happy with Fassie. He's got the chops, the gravitas and is the right age and size for MCU Victor. And if he keeps the mask on there will be a sufficient separation with that other iconic Marvel villain he used to play. Hopefully he will be able to pull off a convincing vaguely Eastern European accent. His Irish/German mix in First Class was not so good.

Definitely don't want Doom sounding Irish.

Which movie are you referring to?

I don't think a posh English accent is suitable for Doom.

Definitely don't want Doom sounding Irish.
The movie I'm talking about is called Frank. It's a quirky little film where Fassbender plays a leader of a band who always wears a weird fake head over his real one. It's a movie worth seeing. I have a special fondness for it because it's the viewing choice that established my reputation amongst many of my friends as a film geek with an unpredictable yet interesting taste.

I'm going to have to disagree with Posh/RP English being wrong for Doom. I think it's an accent you can explain with the character being highly educated.

As for the touch of Irish in Fassbinder's Magneto. Yeah, that was probably a mistake but he was playing a character who had moved around a lot. I'm someone who speaks English as a second language and my accent tends to be inconsistent. (I've been told I sound more Irish when I'm emotional.) I think if necessary Michael Fassbender could play the role with a consistent voice. I just don't know if I want that. It just seems lazy.

For me, I have said this until I am black and blue in the face but its hard for me to picture anybody else but Mads Mikkelsen playing it (regardless of his portrayal of Kaecillus in Dr. Strange)...once masked, he would just ooze Doom from head to toe...that accent, the way he played Lecter in Hannibal, that just screams Doom to me and I have wanted him to play VVD for some many years...I hope somehow they get it to work...but a character like Doom needs to have a classy actor behind it for such an iconic and important villain who could be THE threat over multiple phases.

The movie I'm talking about is called Frank. It's a quirky little film where Fassbender plays a leader of a band who always wears a weird fake head over his real one. It's a movie worth seeing. I have a special fondness for it because it's the viewing choice that established my reputation amongst many of my friends as a film geek with an unpredictable yet interesting taste.

I'm going to have to disagree with Posh/RP English being wrong for Doom. I think it's an accent you can explain with the character being highly educated.

As for the touch of Irish in Fassbinder's Magneto. Yeah, that was probably a mistake but he was playing a character who had moved around a lot. I'm someone who speaks English as a second language and my accent tends to be inconsistent. (I've been told I sound more Irish when I'm emotional.) I think if necessary Michael Fassbender could play the role with a consistent voice. I just don't know if I want that. It just seems lazy.

So someone who is highly educated, no matter their nationality, ends up sounding British?

I'm sure Doom can be highly educated and still sound Eastern European.

Mads Mikkelsen would've had the idea voice for Doom. There must be other actors like that. Plus having someone European adds more flavour than just another British-sounding actor.

I didn't say someone with a higher education has to sound like that. I'm saying it's plausible. A non-native English speaker might pick up that kind of accent if they spent years receiving an Oxbridge level education. I'm not against Doom having a vaguely East-European accent. I'm just saying that a really formal "English" one works well as an alternative.

I've posted this on WandaVision, but after watching that show and seeing taking more risks, I got more excited about a Dr Doom show by Noah Hawley.

Doom doesn't really need a hard accent. He just needs to sound regal, commanding, and authoritative.

Secondly,

I googled "Michael Fassbender Doctor Doom," and I was highly disappointed with the results. Not a single legitimate outlet in the bunch.

I will put it plainly for everyone, unless it's coming from THR, Variety, or Deadline, it's really not worth discussing.

The only fringe site I will somewhat credit right now is Recapped since that freaking website accurately reported the lead role casting in The Witcher, both Henry Cavill and Anya Chalotra.

Last edited:
Feige hisownself talked about said complication, which may be due to Namor officially making his debut in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly instead of Marvel Comics. The family of Subby creator Bill Everett may have rights to the character that need to get sorted out before he makes his first big screen appearance in the MCU.

SEC documents show that Marvel was in development for a Namor movie with Universal circa 2006. We also know Marvel HAS licensed the character out and they have mentioned that the movie was being worked on in official documents.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/933730/000111667906002593/ex99-1.htm
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/933730/000111667907000580/m10k.htm

Universal just didn't pull the trigger at the time and ran out of time much like they did with the Hulk.

I have recently theorized, based on SEC docs, that the Hulk distribution rights revert back to Marvel in 2023 or 2025. I think Namor may revert at that time as well if the contract signed was similar. As to why Marvel Studios still haven't used him, who knows? They didn't use Nova and between the Guardian movies and Infinity War/Endgame they have had plenty of opportunities to use him, more so than Namor IMO.

I don't think they'd have been able to license him at the time if your theory was correct, and we would have seen the issues you are alluding to in the documents. However, we can't know for sure.

SEC documents show that Marvel was in development for a Namor movie with Universal circa 2006. We also know Marvel HAS licensed the character out and they have mentioned that the movie was being worked on in official documents.

Universal just didn't pull the trigger at the time and ran out of time much like they did with the Hulk.

I have recently theorized, based on SEC docs, that the Hulk distribution rights revert back to Marvel in 2023 or 2025. I think Namor may revert at that time as well if the contract signed was similar. As to why Marvel Studios still haven't used him, who knows? They didn't use Nova and between the Guardian movies and Infinity War/Endgame they have had plenty of opportunities to use him, more so than Namor IMO.

I don't think they'd have been able to license him at the time if your theory was correct, and we would have seen the issues you are alluding to in the documents. However, we can't know for sure.

The fact that Namor has yet to make his onscreen debut looks quite odd when you consider the hundreds of characters Marvel HAS put on screens both big and small over the past decade. He is by far the highest profile holdout in terms of both popularity and comic book history. Nova's great, but he ain't the Sub Mariner. It's probably due to Universal interference and the difficulty of portraying underwater action realistically, but the Eternals getting a movie before the Avenging Son seems a smidge unfair.

In the past we've seen ownership issues crop long after they were thought to be settled. The Spidey rights were a sh** show and Warner Brothers had to come to a last minute agreement in order for the world to see Zack Snyder's initial attempt at a DC superhero movie. So while it is likely that Namor's rights are in the same situation as the Hulk, the unusual way he made his way to Timely comics may be another complication.

:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"