Things You Want & Don’t Want For The First MCU FF Film

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
What are things you want to see in the movie that haven’t been done in the previous films, and what are things that have done in the last movies that you hope Marvel avoids like a plague?

Want
:
- Reed Richards being a charming, confident man of science.
- Sue Storm to be portrayed as a powerhouse she is in the comics. She’s the strongest one in the team, and arguably one of the strongest female characters in the Marvel universe so why not do the same in the movies?
- Johnny Storm to have more emotional depth, and complexities than what we’ve seen in the past.
- Ben Grimm To Have shorts! He looks better in shorts than pants!
- Really creative display of their powers.
- Strong Jack Kirby influence in the production design.
- H.E.R.B.I.E. the robot.

Don’t Want:
- An origin story that takes most of the film to tell.
- Reed Richards being a charmless nerdy dork again.
- Dr. Doom as the main villain yet again
- Portraying Johnny as obnoxious and jerky to the point of cruel to Ben Grimm.
- For it to be set in the 60’s.
- For it to be set on flat locations like a forest like on the Tim Story movies, or a military base like the Trank film.
- Sue Storm & Johnny Storm to be scientists.

It would definitely thrill me to see them recreate the first cover of the fantastic four so I would love to see that.

other than that, I would love for it to have a distinctive style and a generally optimistic feel. Definitely no grim dark

I don’t want any cheesy pop music like Guardians of the Galaxy. I prefer an orchestral score like the Avengers theme. They can have a pop song for the end credits.

Want
  • Reed is shown as the smartest in the MCU, and highlighted that even if Tony were alive Reed would still be smarter.
  • Sue shown as powerful and competent and given a field of expertise (hopefully not scientist)
  • Johnny is a teen/college freshman and has more depth than previous portrayals
  • Ben is the heart has a cool design
  • HERBIE
  • A jazzy soundtrack with some inspirations from classic sci-fi flicks. Have it be really unique and cool
  • Wyatt Wingfoot as Johnny's best friend
  • Cool action sequences and power combinations
Don't
  • Reed as cold and emotionless and him as the nerd stereotype
  • Sue being a killjoy and role only being that of the teams babysitter/mother
  • Doom as the villain in the first or second film
  • Franklin and Valeria already around
  • Ben's depression being gotten over quickly
  • Too long telling the origin
  • Being related to Tony Stark in any way
  • Being from the 60s

Don't Want:
-Reed as a cradle robber
-Sue and Johnny as useless hangers on
-The group stealing a spacecraft
-Set in the 60s
-Doom as the main villain
-Any mutants or references to mutants whatsoever

What are things you want to see in the movie that haven’t been done in the previous films, and what are things that have done in the last movies that you hope Marvel avoids like a plague?

Want
:
- Reed Richards being a charming, confident man of science.
- Sue Storm to be portrayed as a powerhouse she is in the comics. She’s the strongest one in the team, and arguably one of the strongest female characters in the Marvel universe so why not do the same in the movies?
- Johnny Storm to have more emotional depth, and complexities than what we’ve seen in the past.
- Ben Grimm To Have shorts! He looks better in shorts than pants!
- Really creative display of their powers.
- Strong Jack Kirby influence in the production design.
- H.E.R.B.I.E. the robot.

Don’t Want:
- An origin story that takes most of the film to tell.
- Reed Richards being a charmless nerdy dork again.
- Dr. Doom as the main villain yet again
- Portraying Johnny as obnoxious and jerky to the point of cruel to Ben Grimm.
- For it to be set in the 60’s.
- For it to be set on flat locations like a forest like on the Tim Story movies, or a military base like the Trank film.
- Sue Storm & Johnny Storm to be scientists.
I definitely agree with most of those. up:

I want to see a re-enactment of this iconic scene

fantastic-four-alex-ross-1126476.jpeg

Want:
- Chemistry between the four so that the First Family acts like a family.
- New York City to be a character. I want to see the FF on 34th Street fighting bad guys, taking down Skrulls in the Upper West Side, I want to see them interacting with the people. They're New Yorkers and our premiere team.
- A gradual progression for Sue into badassery.
- Over the top monster fights and out of the box villains.
- Galactus to be the next wide scale MCU Big Bad.
- Evil Skrulls and possibly making the Inhumans supervillains.

Don't Want:
- For it to be set in the 60s.
- For the FF to be stuck in the Quantum Realm.
- Sue and Johnny being scientists (not keen on that idea at all).
- The team to be set up in a setting that's not NYC. That takes away from their story.
- A full on origin movie. We know them, just skip ahead.

I think it needs to be an origin story to explain why they haven't been around this whole time.

I agree with "family" chemistry and building up Galactus as the next Thanos-level big bad, though.

Want:
1) 60s setting, with the music, clothing, cars and architecture of that era
2) Well functioning fully formed team
3) Everybody has a role - Reed is the scientist, Ben is the pilot, Johnny the mechanic and Sue (probably) is the team MD
4) Origin revealed in a flashback during a Ben nightmare (But not the character Nightmare!)
5) Pre credit scene fighting a Mole Man Monster in Midtown
Moleman apologetic and promises to keep his charges under control. Also, not an incel!
5)First villain - Annihilus in the Negative Zone (though Evil Inhumans sounds interesting)
6) Visits from MCU favorites like Hank Pym, Dum Dum Duggan, Peggy Carter and perhaps even her shy husband Roger Stephens
7) Ben is immensely likeable and not so bitter
8) Wyatt Wingfoot is Johnny's best bud
9) Sue and Reed already married and they either have kids or we find out at the end of the first film she is pregnant with Franklin
10) Sue and Reed are closer in age than traditionally depicted

I agree with Schlosser that redoing the origin is kind of a necessary evil. And besides, it's never been done totally satisfactorily in either live-action feature. It's not like Superman or Batman where the origin's been done perfectly at least once.

As I've said in a bunch of other threads, origins are fine. The problem that inspires people to say "No more origins!" is the tendency for movies to do 'origin stories' as something *separate* from the adventure, something that happens before the heroes are heroic, and which they return from all reluctant to be heroic, until in the third act where they finally decide to be heroic. You know, the whole stupid Joseph Campbell template.

The solution is simply not to have the origin as something which occurs prior to the adventure, but have the origin itself *be* an adventure. Or to use my own preferred adaptation of the Fantastic Four origin as an example: you send the FF up into space on their experimental space ship in Act 1, where they get powers. They do *not* come down to Earth, and spend an entire act moping about how they aren't normal anymore. Instead, they. . . continue into space. Act 2, where they learn about and adapt to their new powers, occurs while they are also otherwise exploring a mysterious spaceship, or stranded on an alien planet, and doing the stuff they otherwise would have, just with new powers as an added resource/challenge. They don't actually return to Earth until either the end of Act 3 or the Epilogue ( depending on if you want the climactic encounter to occur on Earth or not ). There simply isn't a question about "How will I go back to normal", because other than for Ben, this isn't an issue at all. They were heroic hypercompetent courageous individuals before, and they now just also have some superpowers. And even Ben, I'd have mostly reconciled with "Okay, I'm a rock monster, but I am still a pretty charming and dashingly handsome rock monster, if I do say so myself, and it does have some uses" by this point.

Or essentially, I take the entire "Refusing the Call" trope and dump it in a trash can. All of these people should have Jumped To The Call well before the first scene in the movie.

As I've said in a bunch of other threads, origins are fine. The problem that inspires people to say "No more origins!" is the tendency for movies to do 'origin stories' as something *separate* from the adventure, something that happens before the heroes are heroic, and which they return from all reluctant to be heroic, until in the third act where they finally decide to be heroic. You know, the whole stupid Joseph Campbell template.

The solution is simply not to have the origin as something which occurs prior to the adventure, but have the origin itself *be* an adventure. Or to use my own preferred adaptation of the Fantastic Four origin as an example: you send the FF up into space on their experimental space ship in Act 1, where they get powers. They do *not* come down to Earth, and spend an entire act moping about how they aren't normal anymore. Instead, they. . . continue into space. Act 2, where they learn about and adapt to their new powers, occurs while they are also otherwise exploring a mysterious spaceship, or stranded on an alien planet, and doing the stuff they otherwise would have, just with new powers as an added resource/challenge. They don't actually return to Earth until either the end of Act 3 or the Epilogue ( depending on if you want the climactic encounter to occur on Earth or not ). There simply isn't a question about "How will I go back to normal", because other than for Ben, this isn't an issue at all. They were heroic hypercompetent courageous individuals before, and they now just also have some superpowers. And even Ben, I'd have mostly reconciled with "Okay, I'm a rock monster, but I am still a pretty charming and dashingly handsome rock monster, if I do say so myself, and it does have some uses" by this point.

Or essentially, I take the entire "Refusing the Call" trope and dump it in a trash can. All of these people should have Jumped To The Call well before the first scene in the movie.

I agree with this. Look at Doctor Strange. I think they were able to achieve this. Plus people saying they don’t want to see an origin of FF don’t truly trust Feige. The same guy behind the 2008 Iron Man origin

The most important thing to me is tone.

I want it to feel big and bold and epic.

I want the threat to feel real and intense and frightening.

I want humor from the interactions between characters, but I don’t want it to be at the expense of the characters. I don’t want them to feel like clownish buffoons who don’t take the threat seriously.

I don't know if in the Tim Story movie they were really reluctant heroes who refused the call until the 3rd act. They seemed to embrace being heroes early on and Johnny Storm even revelled in it.

Certainly we don't want any body horror Trank-type thing where they see their powers as liabilities or a curse. They should be glad to have it apart from Ben Grimm, who will quickly make peace with it because that's how he responds to setbacks or tragedies as a person rather than being completely bitter and self pitying.

I don't know if in the Tim Story movie they were really reluctant heroes who refused the call until the 3rd act. They seemed to embrace being heroes early on and Johnny Storm even revelled in it.

Certainly we don't want any body horror Trank-type thing where they see their powers as liabilities or a curse. They should be glad to have it apart from Ben Grimm, who will quickly make peace with it because that's how he responds to setbacks or tragedies as a person rather than being completely bitter and self pitying.

While Johnny definitely considered his powers a benefit, this didn't change that they spent the entire second act largely doing nothing other than living at home while Reed theoretically worked to cure them. They returned to the 'Normal World', and sat around being normal rather than heroic or dramatic.

While Johnny definitely considered his powers a benefit, this didn't change that they spent the entire second act largely doing nothing other than living at home while Reed theoretically worked to cure them. They returned to the 'Normal World', and sat around being normal rather than heroic or dramatic.

I want a quick voiceover narration from Reed about this, skipping over this part in a matter of seconds with a time jump. He can say that he spent many months trying to cure them even though Johnny seemed to revel in his powers. Then he decided that instead of trying to cure them (with the exception of Ben) he saw that their powers could be a blessing and set about turning them into celebrities so that they wouldn't be feared but loved.

Honestly, I don't even want that, aside from perhaps specifically for Ben. They really shouldn't be the kind of people who'd view "I got superpowers" as a problem in the first place. Doubly so in the MCU, where "Has superpowers" is a culturally known and accepted thing.

Want
  • Reed is shown as the smartest in the MCU, and highlighted that even if Tony were alive Reed would still be smarter.
  • Sue shown as powerful and competent and given a field of expertise (hopefully not scientist)
  • Johnny is a teen/college freshman and has more depth than previous portrayals
  • Ben is the heart has a cool design
  • HERBIE
  • A jazzy soundtrack with some inspirations from classic sci-fi flicks. Have it be really unique and cool
  • Wyatt Wingfoot as Johnny's best friend
  • Cool action sequences and power combinations
Don't
  • Reed as cold and emotionless and him as the nerd stereotype
  • Sue being a killjoy and role only being that of the teams babysitter/mother
  • Doom as the villain in the first or second film
  • Franklin and Valeria already around
  • Ben's depression being gotten over quickly
  • Too long telling the origin
  • Being related to Tony Stark in any way
  • Being from the 60s

Couldn't agree more, specially with the part I highlited. Marvel has their top 5 - top 10 supergenius guys, like Stark, Banner, Pym, McCoy, the Leader. All of them are "monsters" as far as smarts goes.

However, Reed is simply a step or two above these guys. He's really THE smartest guy, with only Doom being his rival/equal. In the future, when/if She's introduced, Valeria would be at their level, imo.

WANTS

A condensed retelling of the origin — either as an opening sequence ahead of the Marvel title card, or in a flashback sequence (maybe during a TED Talk hosted by Reed, or played for laughs with Johnny making a late night tv appearance).

The Fantasticar!

Reed is the MCU’s new “Tony Stark,” aka the smartest guy in the room. By a lot. Would love to see a cameo by Smart Hulk working in the Baxter Building labs.

Strong supporting cast— Alicia Masters, HERBIE (a more advanced Tony Stark’s Dummy robot) Willie Lumpkin, Wyatt Wingfoot, and an appearance by Uatu.

A main villain that isn’t Doom for the first film—preferably either Mad Thinker & Andy the Awesome Android, or Mole Man.

An exotic locale for the Four to explore, like Monster Isle or the Negative Zone.

On the fence, but I wouldn’t mind seeing baby Franklin Richards (with HERBIE as dedicated babysitter). There’ve been three FF films now, it’d be nice to see Reed and Sue as parents. Maybe a post credits scene hints at his reality-bending powers—think Jack Jack from The Incredibles.

DON’T WANT

A Ben Grimm story which is consumed by his anger/depression over his transformation into The Thing. It can be a part of him, yes, but should not necessarily be at the forefront.

No 60s setting. No Quantum Realm shenanigans. No more time-displaced heroes unless they’re on the X-Men (I’m looking at you, Bishop and Cable).

Too much comedy. Or rather, a story with stakes & drama that’s undercut by jokes. Marvel’s had a history of this with some, not all, of its films and I worry they may repeat again with this reboot.

Last edited:
Have ONE villain.

Not TWO villains.

Super Skrull or Mole Man but not both. If they have two villains have them show up in the post credits or a short cameo. Dont make the same mistake Spider Man 3 did. If you do have multiple villains, do it like Spider Man Into The Spiderverse did lol

In general I prefer it when a comic-book movie has just the one major supervillain antagonist.

I want someone to tell me WTH is happening with the movie. :shrug:

I want a Spider-Man cameo. I don't want a cheap throw away cameo by someone like Falcon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"