Old MCU Fantastic Four Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
latest

Saorise turned down Scarlet Witch in Ultron

Just as well as we wouldn't have gotten Elizabeth Olsen in the role who is much better.

Saorse Ronan is a 4 time Oscar nominee. I'd be shocked if Kevin Feige doesn't find a role for her at some point. Since she missed out on Wanda Maximoff it'd be kinda poetic to get her as a somewhat similar character in Jean Grey.

Saoirse has been my favourite for Jean Grey for quite some time now. For Sue, I think I'd prefer someone with a more mature presence.

:funny: Fair enough. But at least May was changed from her classic grandma-look into actually looking age appropriate for a teenager's aunt. But Saoirse has a very youthful energy so she might end up looking inappropriately young depending on who they cast as Reed.

Do you remember when they added Sue and Johnny’s mum to the Ultimate FF and she sort of looked like Liz Hurley? That might be fun. It might be fun to try and develop Susan or people are going to say she’s just a posh white chick

I don't get the Ronan appeal visually. She looks not much like how I see Jean, as I see it, and for the purposes of the prequel, between the 2 of them, I think Turner looks far more like she could be a young Famke Jansen than her.

Ronan doesn't look exactly the way Jean is drawn in the comics*, but looks aren't everything. She is an award-winning actress with the talent to play every emotional beat of Jean Grey's epic journey. Turner might look the part, but she doesn't have Ronan's range.

* No actress on Earth looks exactly like Jean from the comics.

Saorse Ronan is a 4 time Oscar nominee. I'd be shocked if Kevin Feige doesn't find a role for her at some point. Since she missed out on Wanda Maximoff it'd be kinda poetic to get her as a somewhat similar character in Jean Grey.

She is definitely on Feige's radar. It's fortunate that she didn't get the Jean Grey role in the Foxverse because she now has the chance to play the character in a Marvel film. Given what Feige & co have done with Wanda Maximoff, they will make Jean the complex heroine she should be, instead of the one-dimensional means to an end she was in the previous movies.

Jean Grey is drawn different ways by different artists though so I don’t find there’s a fixed idea on what Jean Grey looks like beyond the fact she’s a white woman with red hair and green eyes.

EnDZMEnWEAQ_8nX

She is definitely on Feige's radar. It's fortunate that she didn't get the Jean Grey role in the Foxverse because she now has the chance to play the character in a Marvel film. Given what Feige & co have done with Wanda Maximoff, they will make Jean the complex heroine she should be, instead of the one-dimensional means to an end she was in the previous movies.
Ronan as Jean would definitely get me excited about the MCU X-Men. And I'm not really even much of a Jean Grey-fan.

Jean Grey is drawn different ways by different artists though so I don’t find there’s a fixed idea on what Jean Grey looks like beyond the fact she’s a white woman with red hair and green eyes.

EnDZMEnWEAQ_8nX
That's true. Some characters have a very specific look, but not so much with others. I have seen people argue James Marsden was a great Cyclops because he looked exactly like the character. So you mean, he looked like a conventionally handsome white guy with red sunglasses? Guess what, Eric Bana wore those same sunglasses in "Black Hawk Down" and he pretty much also looked exactly like Cyclops from the comics. It's nice when the actors look like the characters but one shouldn't get too nitpicky.

Ronan doesn't look exactly the way Jean is drawn in the comics*, but looks aren't everything. She is an award-winning actress with the talent to play every emotional beat of Jean Grey's epic journey. Turner might look the part, but she doesn't have Ronan's range.

I think no actress looking exactly like Jean, necessarily, goes without saying. Looking a lot like her, to me, is a preference.

Also, the prequel thing.

Bruce Dallas Howard is pretty close to the Jim Lee version imho. Jessica Chastain slightly less but she’s an even better actress

Edit: if they can find an actress that looks like Angie Everhart in the 90s they nail they look (below)

c66823deccdd386f567847edca4be8aa.jpg

On Topic: since this is the F4 thread, should Ben Grimm be bald or have hair?

Last edited:
Bruce Dallas Howard is pretty close to the Jim Lee version imho. Jessica Chastain slightly less but she’s an even better actress

Edit: if they can find an actress that looks like Angie Everhart in the 90s they nail they look (below)

c66823deccdd386f567847edca4be8aa.jpg

Hair. The bald thing is mainly because of Chiklis' portrayal, so it's a bit frustrating seeing fancasts limiting themselves to bald men. Part of the reason Ben's transformation was so tragic is that he was conventionally attractive. So seeing people cast actors who "kind of look like the Thing" is missing the point when it comes to pre-transformation Ben Grimm.

I wonder if Agatha Harkness is the first character from the Fantastic Four property to be in the MCU? Black Panther may have started in the FF but he is his own character and franchise. But Agatha was a part of the teams supporting cast so her rights may have been attached to them.

If she is then we may be getting characters and concepts from the FF introduced earlier than expected.

Do you remember when they added Sue and Johnny’s mum to the Ultimate FF and she sort of looked like Liz Hurley? That might be fun. It might be fun to try and develop Susan or people are going to say she’s just a posh white chick

I'm not sure about having Liz Hurley as Sue and Johnny's mother. She recently got her boobs out (or most of them) in the snow and it was either her son who took the picture or her elderly mother. I don't know that Sue and Johnny need that sort of mother figure, and certainly Sue (once she's gained her powers) will be having to use her invisibility to cover her mother up frequently.

Besides, Liz Hurley was Morgan Le Fay in Runaways. Don't know if that would prevent her from playing another character, but as the main villain she was a fairly major one.

I really hope Jennifer Lawrence doesn't get cast as Sue. She's not a bad actress, but she phoned her performance as Mystique in the latter two X-men films she was in. After that she doesn't seem like the type to work for Marvel and do multiple films and crossovers for the next 7-10 years.

I wonder if Agatha Harkness is the first character from the Fantastic Four property to be in the MCU? Black Panther may have started in the FF but he is his own character and franchise. But Agatha was a part of the teams supporting cast so her rights may have been attached to them.

If she is then we may be getting characters and concepts from the FF introduced earlier than expected.
The MCU has already used concepts introduced in FF like Skrulls(which before the buyout, Fox and Marvel shared those rights). But I think you obviously mean concepts and characters from the general FF license that were out of reach for Marvel prior to the Fox deal being closed.

I think there’s a good chance that Doom is in Black Panther 2. He’s been rumored to be in it for awhile, and frankly I wouldn’t mind Doom appearing in something non-FF related. After all, Doom has been a foe for other heroes before in the comics and it would be a fresh way to use the character instead of just making him the main bad guy in FF.

Last edited:
Depends on the actor, I guess. If they cast a bald actor (Domenick Lombardozzi, for example), they probably shouldn't put a wig on him just because Ben (in human form) has hair in the comics.

I'm not sure about having Liz Hurley as Sue and Johnny's mother. She recently got her boobs out (or most of them) in the snow and it was either her son who took the picture or her elderly mother. I don't know that Sue and Johnny need that sort of mother figure, and certainly Sue (once she's gained her powers) will be having to use her invisibility to cover her mother up frequently.

Besides, Liz Hurley was Morgan Le Fay in Runaways. Don't know if that would prevent her from playing another character, but as the main villain she was a fairly major one.
tumblr_n4d1caCSuv1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Yeah, I’d be willing to bet Agatha was part of the FF rights package, so probably the first character from that list (unless you count Ego who was allowed as part of a special agreement) to appear in the MCU.

Given her importance to the background of a core Avenger, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel Entertainment either chose not to include Ms. Harkness in the FF package or kept her as a shared character. Bleeding Cool posted a list of FF characters Perlmutter restricted from being drawn by sketch artists, and Agatha was not on the list (though she may not have been considered important enough to mention).

All Marvel characters related to Fantastic Four are now off limits and will be immediately rejected by Marvel.
This includes but is not limited to:
 Mr. Fantastic
 Invisible Woman
 Thing
 Human Torch
 Doctor Doom
 Galactus
 Silver Surfer
 The Watcher
 Skrulls

Status
Not open for further replies.