Old MCU Fantastic Four Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hair. The bald thing is mainly because of Chiklis' portrayal, so it's a bit frustrating seeing fancasts limiting themselves to bald men. Part of the reason Ben's transformation was so tragic is that he was conventionally attractive. So seeing people cast actors who "kind of look like the Thing" is missing the point when it comes to pre-transformation Ben Grimm.

this is honestly the best post I have read here for months, probably all year.

I would say that to me even with the standard depiction of Ben younger as a broad shouldered, square jawed full head of hair type manly man that in terms of live action... Hair isn't all that important.

Ben was a "good looking" guy in my conception but it's more in the Bruce Willis/Ed Harris/Steve McQueen/Daniel Craig mold way not the early Brad Pitt/Robert Redford/Rock Hudson way.

The appeal has less to do with hair but general physical and character presence.

When I think of characters Ed Harris has played with a military background or Willis as John Mclane in the first Die Hard I think that is in the wheelhouse of ideal physicality for Ben before the transformation. (Yes... Willis is a shortie by comic book super her standards... But the general look and vibe is what I'm getting at.)

A fit guy who looks like he definitely has some kind of military background as well as played college football and who does like Judo/BJJ/MMA as a hobby is my platonic Ben before the flight. In that conception hair is really negotiable.

Last edited:
But... If hair is make or break for some...

I give you Scott Caan.

Speech patterns, heritage, and he has the comedy chops the MCU prizes.

Having an actor who can capture the attitude and create a believable version of The Thing through either mocap or prosthetics (it should be prosthetics, but will be mocap) is far more important then matching the handsome human version of Ben Grimm from the comics that will be in the film for less than ten minutes (if at all). Chiklis was perfect because he WAS The Thing. You don't sacrifice something like that for brief comic accuracy.

Before it comes up as a rejoinder that Ben needs to be an uber handsome guy so his transformation is more tragic, I think being turned into a rock monster would be suitably tragic for anyone.

Having an actor who can capture the attitude and create a believable version of The Thing through either mocap or prosthetics (it should be prosthetics, but will be mocap) is far more important then matching the handsome human version of Ben Grimm from the comics that will be in the film for less than ten minutes (if at all). Chiklis was perfect because he WAS The Thing. You don't sacrifice something like that for brief comic accuracy.

Before it comes up as a rejoinder that Ben needs to be an uber handsome guy so his transformation is more tragic, I think being turned into a rock monster would be suitably tragic for anyone.

Fair points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back