Luke Cage Luke Cage General Discussion Thread - Part 2

Finally watched it. Excellent season. Now it's my 2nd fave Netflix/Marvel season after Punisher season 1.

I thought season 1 ended horribly, but this was an insane improvement. I'll probably gather my thoughts and do a better breakdown later.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...Vol_1_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180105023954

I'd like them to adapt this look, but with a yellow shirt underneath. Just the black leather jacket and yellow shirt works for me. They can have Melvin make the material more durable so he doesn't have to keep switching up.

Doesn't mean you can't have the bullet riddled hoodie look anymore, just means that if Cage knows there's going to be trouble, he can wear his "uniform".

So I take it we will get a season 3 of Luke Cage and then probably go straight into Heroes for Hire. So, more than likely no season 3 of Iron Fist. Unless season 2 hits it out the park. In fact, I doubt that even makes a difference.

For me when I rate the series, I break it into Luke Cage Season 1 Part 1 and Luke Cage Season 1 Part 2. Season 2 was better than Part 2 but weaker than Part 1.

I'd wish they had reduced this season to 10 episodes. Overall, it was good but they sure stretched the Heck out of the storylines. Mariah and Bushmaster. Could have easily been wrapped up in half the time.

And Colter seems drastically overshadowed with the other characters.

I'm pretty annoyed he never just got to wear his Yellow shirt and jeans thing. How hard is that?

I found I enjoyed Season 2 of Luke Cage more than Season 1. It pulled me along a little easier than Season 1 did. I wish there was more Iron Fist though. That was the definite highlight of the Season. Marvel should scrap the solo Iron Fist and Luke Cage shows and make Heroes for Hire.

Damn! Mariah is STONE COLD!!

None spoilery video review's of the second season the full review of the entire season is below the fir three episodes video.

[YT]GQ7YLAmcpqk[/YT]

Luke Cage: Season 2 (First 3 Episodes) Review! - Electric Playground
697 views1 week ago
Published on 22 Jun 2018

Marvel and Netflix are continuing their heroic partnership with Luke Cage: Season 2! Victor Lucas has watched the first three episodes, and here's his live review!

And lastly

hqdefault.jpg

[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important][YT]5KgzRPjvAHs[/YT][/FONT]
[FONT=Roboto !important]06:27[/FONT]
Luke Cage: Season Two Full Review - Electric Playground[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]820 views4 days ago Published on 06/26/2018[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]Victor Lucas has had the time to binge the entire second season of Netflix and Marvel's heroic series Luke Cage. Here's his full review!
[/FONT]

source: EPN.tv

I thought this season was one of the better seasons from the Marvel netflix shows. All the villains were great and complex and I loved how it ends... it's very much the black Godfather.

Daredevil Season 1 - 10/10
Daredevil Season 2 - 9/10
Luke Cage Season 2 - 9/10
The Punisher Season 1 - 9/10
Luke Cage Season 1 - 8.5/10
The Defenders - 8/10
Jessica Jones Season 1 - 7.5/10
Iron Fist Season 1 - 6.5/10
Jessica Jones Season 2 - 4/10

I am on episode 4 now. While I have liked a lot of stuff so far a couple of issues:

1. I think that this show maybe most of all suffers from pacing issues. I got to episode three and it honestly felt like I had been watching twice as many episodes and not in a good way. There are times the show gets me into it and I'm loving the action, dialog and characters... But then it turns into a slog where it feels like it's spinning it's wheels or trying to convince me of something that I don't see or feels forced.

2. Honestly given how I felt about Iron Fist, Defenders, JJ Seasons 2 and about half of LC season one... I'm waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under me completely now. So far nothing is egregious but the way it grabs my attention and then grinds my interest to a halt often in a single episode makes me think there has to be a similar letdown coming. The cast rocks, the interplay is more often than not sizzling between the characters, but in general the pacing issues and the constant "building up to something" kind of makes it a chore to get through which is something I had REALLY hoped they would have solved from season one.

I will say... I see Misty and Colleen working together in a fun and breezy action scene and all I can think of is that I would rather have a fun, action packed Heroes For Hire show with Danny, Luke, Misty and Colleen than almost anything else.

I will say... I see Misty and Colleen working together in a fun and breezy action scene and all I can think of is that I would rather have a fun, action packed Heroes For Hire show with Danny, Luke, Misty and Colleen than almost anything else.
I think this is what's killing my enthusiasm for the Netflix shows more than anything else. I get why DD, The Punisher and JJ would have that serious, dramatic, "gritty" tone, and I WANT that from them, but when they first announced all these Netflix ventures, I was most hyped for Iron Fist and a potential Heroes for Hire collaboration because I was looking forward to the fun factor. But these shows are all so determined to be taken seriously that you can almost feel the struggle every time these writers begrudgingly put in jokes or moments of levity. Not all these shows needed to be so serious, imo. But tbh, that's just kind of my mood these days when it comes to CBM's - I'm losing my taste for the grimdark in general and the ones that try to "transcend the genre," and I find myself preferring the ones that embrace the whimsy and the fun side of superheroes, so maybe it's less a problem with the shows and more about my own tastes changing. *shrug*

The Misty/Colleen stuff is just reminding me of the kind of fun I was expecting with the whole venture was first announced.

Last edited:
What a long, boring trek this season was. It was just way too much filler and going in circles.

I think this is what's killing my enthusiasm for the Netflix shows more than anything else. I get why DD, The Punisher and JJ would have that serious, dramatic, "gritty" tone, and I WANT that from them, but when they first announced all these Netflix ventures, I was most hyped for Iron Fist and a potential Heroes for Hire collaboration because I was looking forward to the fun factor. But these shows are all so determined to be taken seriously that you can almost feel the struggle every time these writers begrudgingly put in jokes or moments of levity. Not all these shows needed to be so serious, imo. But tbh, that's just kind of my mood these days when it comes to CBM's - I'm losing my taste for the grimdark in general and the ones that try to "transcend the genre," and I find myself preferring the ones that embrace the whimsy and the fun side of superheroes, so maybe it's less a problem with the shows and more about my own tastes changing. *shrug*

The Misty/Colleen stuff is just reminding me of the kind of fun I was expecting with the whole venture was first announced.

See I find the "grimdark" fun. Really. Taking the material seriously is what's fun to me. Otherwise it's Hercules/Xena or Power Rangers to me. There is also the fact that with Luke in particular he's frankly, got the weight of being an African American superhero with a majority African American cast. Looking at the majority of the Blaxploitation films that the Cage show is obviously drawing inspiration from they were often patently over the top fantasias, but they were fantasias that were about the Black urban experience which touched on some pretty grim subjects. Without a certain grounding you can't really have a scene like with Claire and Luke that was so well done where they have and honest to god, raw couples fight and we see under the hood of both characters, while yeah, also touching on some real truths about both the African American AND Hispanic community in the U.S. Furthermore I think it worked dramatically because it showed us the inner life of Luke but also CHALLENGED the assumptions he had and the actions and attitudes he's displaying. You go too "light" too breezy you not only can't have that you kinda can't have a real connection with characters, motivations or tensions in my view. It's not subject matter or tone that's the issue for me. As I said, taking stories about characters that by their nature deal in violence (even morally justified violence) and attempt to thwart others with evil intentions... I need some kind of gravitas and grounding.

That out there, the "grounding" can get "grinding" especially in a show spanning 13 episodes and only covering one big season long arc. Grind is precisely the word I would use for the Marvel Netflix output post DD Season two, with only Punisher Season One being an outlier. I really think they need to either cut down the episode order but keep the budget for the season the same (which would mean more money packed into each individual episode for more "wow" stuff like SFX and fights) or keep the same number of episodes but set aside at least four episodes in a given season where we take a break from the big arc and we just get cool or interesting stand alone stories. A hero ONLY dealing with a gray, nebulous world where even their super powers are no match for the greater ills of society etc... Yeah that can get old fast.

I do have to ask though... How many "grimdark" "transcend the genre" movies are actually getting made as opposed to obvious, ruffle no feathers, four quadrant, we wanna make our money back in spades so lets sand off any real edge (Sorry Deadpool... You aren't actually as outrageous as you think you are) or discomforting material kind of films with CBMs? Aren't those actually the majority of approaches to super hero material and the others the rarities?

See I find the "grimdark" fun. Really. Taking the material seriously is what's fun to me. Otherwise it's Hercules/Xena or Power Rangers to me.
There is a VAST gulf between grimdark and Hercules/Xena, and somewhere in that gulf is my happy place these days. Just because I want fun doesn't mean I don't want grounded and emotional realism. I am just so over the fandom mentality of talking in extremes.

And for the record, I'm complaining about TV, not movies. I'm happy with the current state of CBM's for the most part. Fox and DC, while much more hit-or-miss, are giving me things different from Marvel, so I'm generally satisfied. But on TV, it's like, the budgets and quality writers ONLY go to the serious, heavy properties, and only the cheap productions get to have fun. So as a result, we either have the silly CW fare that everybody sneers at, or Legion/Netflix shows which are so determined to be taken seriously that they become tedious, imo. There's no middle ground, and it annoys me.

I can find "grimdark" fun too...when the property calls for it. I'm really hyped for Watchmen, for example. Loved DD, JJ and The Punisher. But I don't need to see Iron Fist or Luke Cage shows taking themselves so seriously, and the insistence on blanketing the Netflix universe with this tone has made the whole venture feel unnecessarily monotonous, imo. Just like I'd feel the MCU would be if we didn't get stuff like TWS, Black Panther and Infinity War every now and then for a change of pace.

Last edited:
There were times during Iron Fist and Punisher it felt like they were ashamed they were doing a comic book show.

Iron fist should be the one show where they go full comic booky. Or at least find the balance that into the badlands had found.

I'm pretty annoyed he never just got to wear his Yellow shirt and jeans thing. How hard is that?

I found I enjoyed Season 2 of Luke Cage more than Season 1. It pulled me along a little easier than Season 1 did. I wish there was more Iron Fist though. That was the definite highlight of the Season. Marvel should scrap the solo Iron Fist and Luke Cage shows and make Heroes for Hire.

Well, unlike Kevin Fiege, Jeph Loeb hates costumes for whatever reason.

In this case, though, I think Luke Cage does have a costume - they've just gone with black hoodie with yellow inside instead of a yellow shirt (I don't think anyone is asking for the open shirt and tiara). The way he's been wearing it this season since he got hired to do that gig comes off almost as a uniform or costume. It's certainly more than just regular clothes at this point.

Of all the characters, he and Jessica need costumes the least.

Luke doesn't really have a costume in a lot of the comics either. Yellow T-Shirt and Jeans. Nothing outlandish about giving him that wardrobe in the show.

In Luke Cage, they made the hoodie his costume basically because of Trayvon Martin. Even Luke calls it his "cape."

I don't mind darker SH works. But there's a difference between dark/serious (Logan, most of the Netflix MCU shows, TDKS) and grimdark (BvS)

I don't want everything to be MCU frivalous but I don't want everything to be Logan dark either.

Choose the right tone for the right characters, and regarding the Netflix MCU I think they have.

There were times during Iron Fist and Punisher it felt like they were ashamed they were doing a comic book show.

I never got that with Iron Fist. Punisher I kinda did, but you can trace that kinda to the source material. Like PunisherMax.

Defenders I really got that they were ashamed to be making a superhero show at times. Also with Jessica Jones...but then Jessica Jones is a whole different thing too since she's not really a superhero in her show.

In Luke Cage, they made the hoodie his costume basically because of Trayvon Martin. Even Luke calls it his "cape."

Which was handled kinda corny like a lot of the politics in Luke Cage imo

Well, unlike Kevin Fiege, Jeph Loeb hates costumes for whatever reason.

As dumb as this sounds, and this is kinda OT from Luke Cage, Defenders would've been so much cooler to me if we had more than 1 costume. And even DD's costume doesn't show up until most of the way through the series

Which was handled kinda corny like a lot of the politics in Luke Cage imo

I kind of agree. I feel like the show wanted to be more critical of police in Luke Cage, but then you had things like Luke Cage is an ex-cop, a background he never had in the comics. You had a black police officer beating up a black teen witness and doing the police brutality angle.

It seems whenever Luke confronted the cops, instead of two white officers, he confronted a white one and a black one. A black one chased him down and let him go because they knew each other from Pop's barbershop.

It sent me mixed messages IMO. Like maybe they wanted to be more even handed and not demonize law enforcement.

The white officer who was angry when Diamondback framed Luke for killing that cop was a white guy, but not necessarily racist. At the end you see him hearing Luke's monologue in the police station and he's clearly moved by Luke's words.

And I mean most of the major police characters throughout seasons 1 and 2 are ethnic.

I recall in season 1 Mariah Dillard basically tried to say "Oh that officer beat up that black teen. OK, let's give the police special ordinance so they can gun down a super-powered black man!"

...Excuse me? How did we reach that conclusion? But yeah, some the political stuff they tried to work into Season 1 of Luke Cage didn't work IMO.

You might notice that Season 2 had a lot less of that. Other than Luke's lines about "I'm a black man who's bulletproof!"

And maybe it makes me a bad person, and nothing against Cloak and Dagger, but when I heard Tyrone Johnson on the show say, "I'm a black teen. Half of America wants me dead" or some such, I couldn't do anything but roll my eyes. Like seriously kid, get a grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"