Luke Cage Luke Cage General Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished. While the first batch of episodes DRAGGED, when the story got going, it got going and it was a compelling watch. BOY, did they leave things in a VERY interesting place for season 3 and I applaud the writers for going in that direction.

I think this is definitely among the Marvel Netflix show's best seasons, up there with both seasons of Daredevil, JJ season 1 and the first half of LC season one. I don't....know if its better than season one overall yet. I have to let that marinate. Its more consistent and arguably has a better villain. Bushmaster was a GREAT villain, he has presence, menace, was physically formidable and yet had compassion. You sympathized with the guy when you realized he had strong motivations for what he was doing.

Leave it to the writers of LUKE CAGE to FINALLY get ****ing IRONFIST RIGHT, DAMN IT. The Iron Fist episode was the highlight of the whole season. The way Finn Jones was written and directed was the way Danny should have been from the START. Was that so hard? Coker single handedly made me excited for season 2 of Iron Fist when I couldn't care less beforehand. If this is how Danny Rand is going to be written going forward, then I am down for this new direction for Iron Fist and he and Luke need a HEROES FOR HIRE SHOW ASAP. Finn's chemistry with Colter is gold and they work well together.

Overall, a little bumpy at the start, but the the last 3/4ths of the season really took off and left things in a great place for the character going forward. After being a little let down by THE DEFENDERS (although overall, I still enjoyed it), stopping midway through the Punisher, and only getting through one episode of JJ season 2, Luke cage season 2 was, for me personally, the shot of adrenaline I needed to get excited in the Marvel Netflix shows again because I had almost given up on them. Even when the show is slow and the writing is wonky, Coker infuses LC with a cool fun vibe, atmosphere and eclectic characters that keep you wanting to click the "Play Next Episode" button.

8.5/10

Last edited:
Just finished it. I really liked this season even more than the first. Bushmaster was awesome, flat out awesome. This might be my favorite non-Daredevil season in the Netflix MCU. Oh and Iron Fist was awesome, they finally seemed to get him right, him and Luke have insane chemistry.

This season was much, much, MUCH better than season 1. They end it in an odd place but gives them so many options for continuing the story. I just loved this all around. While Defenders I found disappointing, Punisher, JJ2, and LC2 have me firmly back on board for Marvel/Netflix shows. They're back on a roll!

I really like the season it did a great job. Unlike season one where the second half couldn't match the first. For season 2 they definitely learned from that mistake. Only complaints: I felt there were two episodes that really dragged on and Mariah would really get on my nerves.

The Iron Fist episode was great. I really love their dynamic and the definitely improved Danny, the change started in Defenders and ended in Luke Cage. Also really love how his green hoodie is from the shop. It's a nice touch. I hope they always have one team-up episode in each of their seasons.

I feel the acting also really stepped up a notch the scene where [BLACKOUT]Claire and Luke break up[/BLACKOUT] was the best performance either of them have in all of their marvel appearance.

Some nitpicks here and there but a great season.

I really don't get the criticism that the season start "slow and dragged". You have to have SOME set up. Everything can't be "highs" cause then there is no "high".

They built the show, conflicts and relationships so they could ramp up and build to a crescendo. Can't have a crescendo without a slower beginning.

Just a few episodes in and I'm loving Bushmaster already. Still think Mike Colter isn't that great of an actor and is actually the weakest in the cast. But he does ok.

I'm 4 episodes in and couldn't agree more I loving Bushmaster actually rooting for him not sure if that cause he is so good or Colter is so bad and I guess I'm in the minority and the less Claire the better I love me some Rosario Dawson but hate the character Claire she no longer is needed after the defenders

This season was sooooo good, but i feel that it might be a little too culturally dense for some people. There's also a lot of crime history packed in too. Like The Yardies, and The Showa Posse are REAL gangs. there's also TONS of social commentary about black folks, in terms of intercultural rivalries, being immigrants, being un-unified like the other ethnic crime organizations, there was also a lot of commentary on colorism, and of course good ole fashion racism. there's a whole BUNCH of **** to unpack this season, Cheo Hadari Coker did his research...plus this season was ****in BRUTAL!!? way to go Edge Lord Marvel lol

I feel like the critics didn't give this one a fair shake, maybe it was too black for them.
I strongly believe this, i felt that it was provably too culturally black for some audiences, and i think a lot of stuff went over people's head.

I feel the acting also really stepped up a notch the scene where [BLACKOUT]Claire and Luke break up[/BLACKOUT] was the best performance either of them have in all of their marvel appearance.
AGREED!...that was a great scene, it was interesting to see Cage that vulnerable.

They really need to give this show a budget to respectfully convey that Lake is super-strong

Claire in the early days was more of an audience surrogate, and by the early days, I'm talking about when she was a part of Matt's story in the first season of Daredevil. Thing is, in the time since then, she's lost a number of the traits that made her interesting to start. Look at The Defenders, where Claire was actually one of the most informed, well-connected, characters in the show, but she came off more as just another person in a large crowd of side characters. That season treated her as Luke's girlfriend and not much else, and she only served to get Luke and Danny together. There was no acknowledgment of her time with Matt, or her encounter with Jessica.

Her early role was as a link between the Marvel Netflix shows. And that role is no longer needed as other characters like Karen, Foggy, Turk, Misty, Colleen, Danny, Brett, etc. have become connective tissue between the shows. Within Daredevil, I totally think that they're planning on Karen taking over Claire's duties as a medic and confidant for Matt. With Luke Cage, Luke will probably be fine on his own. And Misty will be Danny and Colleen's sidekick for Iron Fist.

You nailed it.

Just finished, thought it was better than season 1. Luke Cage's character actually looks like he'll be more interesting in season 3.

About damn time. He def seems one-dimensional considering all the interesting characters around him.

They really need to understand that the antagonist doesn't need to appear in every episode.

I couldn't tell if those were real Jamaican accents or not. The guy playing Bushmaster is American though.

Thought the show was good overall. Saw the Tilda/Maria thing coming a mile away though. I really liked Bushmaster, but I thought he would have been more of a physical threat to Luke. The new dynamic they've set up for season 3 should make it interesting to see how they could have him return.

The last episode just felt like everything fizzled out. It kinda soured me on the series to be honest. I don't think that's just down to the episode itself though, but how they handled the resolution to both Bushmaster and Mariah's arcs. In Mariah's case I enjoyed how it happened, but after a number of false climaxes it didn't gel well with how things just slowed down from there.

They turned Claire into "Daredevil Season 2 Foggy". I mean, she was right in that Luke clearly was emotionally unstable, but she really don't do herself any favors by her approach to fixing the situation. Luke CLEARLY had issues with his father and she just kept pushing that button.

Great writing in that exchange and super believable.

VNN7j9Z.jpg

It only bugs me when the episode starts off with the intro and it automatically skips it but I think that only happened 2 or 3 times with Luke Cage. Make no mistake, there are some shows where I will skip the intro but Luke Cage is not one of them.

Was anyone else annoyed with the constant shootouts? Everyone knows he's bulletproof. Yet even those who know him, still waste ammo trying to stop him. Wish they'd start to get more creative, in finding ways to slow him down. Teargas would be a good start, that would probably affect him more than a grenade could. Or bring in more Hammer tech other than Judas Bullets. Why aren't more people running around with the Hammer suit from Season 1?

Was anyone else annoyed with the constant shootouts? Everyone knows he's bulletproof. Yet even those who know him, still waste ammo trying to stop him. Wish they'd start to get more creative, in finding ways to slow him down. Teargas would be a good start, that would probably affect him more than a grenade could. Or bring in more Hammer tech other than Judas Bullets. Why aren't more people running around with the Hammer suit from Season 1?

It did get old pretty quickly, this isn't season 1, everyone in Harlem knows Luke's face, and knows that no ordinary gun can phase him, At the very least I'd have liked to see more of them be smart enough to not bother wasting their time drawing their gun, the most they could do is accidentally shoot someone else when the bullet bounces off of him. Well, that and force Luke to have to buy new clothes constantly.

Zipped past everyone's comments in case of spoilers as I am only half way through.

Think I might have finally figure out why im not as crazy about this as JJ, DD and Punisher.

I think the other actors in this show are just better than Mike Colter and I don't mean that to come off in a negative put down sort of way just every time either Reg E. Cathey, Alfre Woodward, Mustafa Shakir and Ron Cephas Jones are on screen with Colter I find my self losing interest in whatever his point is and gravitate towards the others.

Personally I have been more interested in Misty's story this season so far than Luke's. It's a very odd feeling as I don't dislike the show by any means I think its starting to get better just strange that the least compelling aspect of it to me is the main character.

I think this is the first Marvel Netflix show to have a second season that’s better than the first.

It did get old pretty quickly, this isn't season 1, everyone in Harlem knows Luke's face, and knows that no ordinary gun can phase him, At the very least I'd have liked to see more of them be smart enough to not bother wasting their time drawing their gun, the most they could do is accidentally shoot someone else when the bullet bounces off of him. Well, that and force Luke to have to buy new clothes constantly.

I know what you mean but at the same time Luke himself says in one episode "everyone wants to see if the myth is real." I think a lot of the criminal underworld knows about Luke but they may not necessarily REALLY believe he is invincible until they experience it firsthand which is why whenever he runs into thugs they shoot at him.

I think this is the first Marvel Netflix show to have a second season that’s better than the first.

I think that is correct. I would say Daredevil still has the best overall 2nd season, but Luke Cage certainly wins the award for Most Improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"