Jessica Jones Jessica Jones General Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
that-escalated-quickly-anchorman-gif.gif

god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

you know , only one problem with this show : this is a world and a city where a giant green monster and a norse god fought aliens and ****ed up the whole city and you're telling me all these little dip****s can't suspend their disbelief in ****ing MIND CONTROL ?!?!?! **** outta here...

To paraphrase Luke Cage, You can see all that other stuff. Choosing to believe in such things becomes a moot point. But you can't see mind control. Not only that but I bet people inherently would NOT want to believe such a thing exists in a real ostrich/head-in-sand metaphor kinda way. Terrible stuff you can see is bad enough but terrible stuff that is invisible is even more frightening.

Man alive it is hard defending Campea at times. :csad:

12316329_543838019117519_5754145656569226776_n.jpg

Campea is quite well known. I like him... And often disagree with him as I do with JJ. But he has a following and is a known voice in online entertainment coverage.

I agree with about 2/3 of those, disagree with a third (I thought Kilgrave was very scary, at least one death was shocking to me, and the [blackout]Luke Cage still being controlled[/blackout] did catch me by surprise and I thought was really well handled, and disagree with his overall point. But, as he says, taste is subjective.

I just finished it today and the show had built up so much tension, had thrown a lot of curves to me, that I for sure was surprised and nervous throughout the last three episodes. The important fake out caught me by surprise because it was actually a few episodes worth of build up,[BLACKOUT] from Cage's bar getting blown to the reveal[/BLACKOUT][BLACKOUT]of him under the control of Killgrave. At least, I thought it was a good job of handling it, and giving us all this time where you thought Cage was in the clear.[/BLACKOUT]

I actually enjoyed this more than Daredevil. Can't wait to give them both a watch again in the future.

I actually enjoyed this more than Daredevil. Can't wait to give them both a watch again in the future.

I had to wait a week, but binged last weekend and watched every episode (2 sittings and a bottle of tequila [Margaritas]). Man, I loved it. I liked it better than DD too and that's saying a LOT. Now I'm depressed that it's over. :csad:

Please, please, please.....announce season 2.

Not sure if anyone knows him or cares, but John Campea wrote a small write-up on why he didn't like Jessica Jones.

http://campea.tumblr.com/post/134228720800/so-i-binged-watched-the-entire-first-season-of

And IMO is completely off base on every single point (though I see "some" merit on points 2 and 6; though "waste" is way over the top).

I haven't paid too much attention to what he's written, but in this case, he sounds like an idiot who's looking for a way to stand out.

EDIT: 92 on RT and http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2015/11/21/review-jessica-jones-is-the-best-show-on-tv/

I guess anyone can find whatever they want if they look long enough.

Last edited:
#2 is definitely a bit harsh and his villain turn wasn't really out of left field.. it was pretty clear the guy was somewhat "off" ... and #6 isn't fair at all... it helped with Trish's background and character development (As well as jessica's) and i didn't think she popped up much at all.. *shrugs*

I've been thinking and talking about JJ ever since I finished it and I've begun to realize, with time to digest, I really didn't actually care about Jess, I just felt compelled to because it was her show. The characters I always wanted more of were Trish, Luke and Kevin, and to a lesser extent Simpson. The show wasnt bad, but I enjoyed DD more, and I cared about Matt for more than I did Jess.

are you sure you're confusing "care" with "liking"

I like jess in that she's enjoyable to watch, she's a witty hard ass and a screw up.. and definitely not a likable person... thus it's hard to "care" for her. She's not all that sympathetic... unlike Matt who is indeed Sympathetic.

It was rarely her who I was ever waiting to see on screen again when they cut to other characters, Not the case with the people I mentioned. I do often use the two words interchangeably, but I was far less invested in her than the aforementioned supporting cast. I've never read a Jess comic before the show, so maybe Im just not a Jess fan?

But all that said, Id rate JJ over AOS, and not too far behind DD.

are you sure you're confusing "care" with "liking"

I like jess in that she's enjoyable to watch, she's a witty hard ass and a screw up.. and definitely not a likable person... thus it's hard to "care" for her. She's not all that sympathetic... unlike Matt who is indeed Sympathetic.

I loved her and thought she was awesome, but that's probably because she reminded me of one of my ex-girlfriends. A real train wreck that one was, but, man, was she ever fun to be around. We got way past the 2nd date; which was very unusual for her. I'm probably lucky to be alive......

I liked her WAY better than anyone else; including Trish (my second favorite) and Luke (my third). As far as villains go, I found Kilgrave very, very creepy. A complete and utter sociopath with some mad skills.....

Last edited:
I had to wait a week, but binged last weekend and watched every episode (2 sittings and a bottle of tequila [Margaritas]). Man, I loved it. I liked it better than DD too and that's saying a LOT. Now I'm depressed that it's over. :csad:

Please, please, please.....announce season 2.

The last few episodes of JJ kinda dragged on and on, but overall I'll rate it above DD. DD dragged on and on through the whole series, but the action sequences were spot on. If I had to say one thing about these Netflix's series, it's that they haven't disappointed with their villains. As far as the MCU TV properties go, I'd rate them like this.

JJ
DD
Agent Carter
Agents Of Shield

Despite AoS's flaws, I still think they have some interesting characters and stories.

John Campea generally dislikes Marvel TV shows for some reasno.

See... I wouldn't say that there was a lack of sympathy towards Jessica at all on my part. Yeah she's prickly, sarcastic, caustic, all that, and she seems to have been a bit of a high handed pill before she met Kilgrave. That said, the culmin s tion of what we learn about what happened to her from childhood, the things Kilgrave did to her, the guilt she had, the way post her sandwich save that she could have obviously gone on to be a bona fide MCU hero but had that and everything else in her life snuffed out by a socipathic piece of excrement.., I don't know, despite her sharp elbows I still found her very sympathetic.

John Campea s generally dislikes Marvel TV shows for some reasno.

Ha... No. He praises DD all the time. He thinks like a lot of people that AoS was terribly mishandled from the start and I think he gave a passing grade to Agent Carter while thinking that it ended weakly.

One small thing that I really dig: Kristen Ritter's stoic look. Man, something about it. She just has this natural mean but vulnerable look to her. I can imagine during the casting process Marvel knew she was Jessica just by having her stare into the camera and not say anything.

I haven't finished the series yet, I"m up to episode 11. I've loved most of what this show does...but episdoe 10 had a lot of dumb going on. Like A LOT. Enough to maybe impact my view of the whole series somewhat. Also, I really don't think Robyn works...at all. The attempt to use her as a comedic relief often fails miserably, especially because they try to have her do something "funny" at times it really doesnt fit. And within the same moment, have her jump to a very dramatic moment. It's almost like she was two different characters mashed together that they forgot to fully edit.

I think they thought she would start out annoying and become endearing in her strange "kookiness" but she's just flat out annoying. I don't blame the actress. This was a writing problem for the character.

I think they thought she would start out annoying and become endearing in her strange "kookiness" but she's just flat out annoying. I don't blame the actress. This was a writing problem for the character.

I agree. The actress did what she could. And she had some genuinely touching moments. The "why did she throw my fliers away?" in particular was very well done. It was just like the entire writing staff got high or something when they wrote episode 10. It wasn't just her character either, there was a lot of bad writing going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"