Jessica Jones Jessica Jones General Discussion Thread - Part 2

Ha... No. He praises DD all the time. He thinks like a lot of people that AoS was terribly mishandled from the start and I think he gave a passing grade to Agent Carter while thinking that it ended weakly.
He specifically said he disliked the idea of Marvel connecting the tv shows to the the movie universe. I'm not saying he dislikes every one of Marvel's shows, but he does seem to have a certain amount of bias against Marvel tv because of its adherence to the films. Now to be fair, I think he said that earlier in Marvel tv's lifespan, so maybe Daredevil changed his view.

He specifically said he disliked the idea of Marvel connecting the tv shows to the the movie universe. I'm not saying he dislikes every one of Marvel's shows, but he does seem to have a certain amount of bias against Marvel tv because of its adherence to the films. Now to be fair, I think he said that earlier in Marvel tv's lifespan, so maybe Daredevil changed his view.

Thinking that the approach of connecting the shows to the films is a mistake and saying he doesn't LIKE the shows are two different things. As I said... He LOVED DD, thinks AoS is trash, thought Carter was good, and seems to not have liked JJ at all... That's not the record or someone with an unfounded bias. That's someone that seems to judge each one according to the merits they see. Someone with a bias against the shows wouldn't have liked ANYTHING Marvel has done TV wise. I mean... Seriously those are completely different ideas. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other. I could care less about being connected or not. Just give me a good show. JJ was a good show, period. But my druthers don't translate into everyone else having to like it.

KRYPTON INC said:
There I will disagree. 10 was one of my favorite episodes, the one where certain plots came into play and I understood why those elements were there in the first place.

I see a lot of posters finding 10 not to their liking, saying characters were acting dumb ect. to which I say... Yeah. People are dumb. They make terrible mistakes. That's one of the things that separates the colorless, flavorless Mary Sues from characters that have some actual human texture to them.

Sorry man, but I just can't agree on that. I'm fine with writing genuine human flaws into characters, but having people act purposely obtuse and or idiotic just to serve the plot does not a realistic character make.

That's really the problem with that entire episode. Everything, from Robyn convincing the group to turn on Jessica, to Hogarth acting like an idiot, to Robyn somehow knocking Jessica out with a freakin wood plank (even though we see her only out for maybe a minute after getting hit by a truck the next episode).

It was those last 10 minutes where suddenly normal character development went to hell and characters and events just started happening because the writers needed them to, to hell with good storytelling. I'm willing to forgive it because it's really the only misstep the show has had thus far, but it was really bad.

Also, after that scene where Jessica puts a bullet in Patsy's mouth to get around Killgrave's order, I've just been thinking about clever ways to get around **** he tells you.

Cut out you're heart.
Draw a heart on a piece of paper and write you're on it.

Jump to your death.
Write death on the ground and jump to it.

Give her a thousand cuts.
Send a thousand cuts of your favorite lunchmeat to said person.

He's not that dangerous if you're creative. :p

Sorry man, but I just can't agree on that. I'm fine with writing genuine human flaws into characters, but having people act purposely obtuse and or idiotic just to serve the plot does not a realistic character make.

That's really the problem with that entire episode. Everything, from Robyn convincing the group to turn on Jessica, to Hogarth acting like an idiot, to Robyn somehow knocking Jessica out with a freakin wood plank (even though we see her only out for maybe a minute after getting hit by a truck the next episode).

It was those last 10 minutes where suddenly normal character development went to hell and characters and events just started happening because the writers needed them to, to hell with good storytelling. I'm willing to forgive it because it's really the only misstep the show has had thus far, but it was really bad.

There were some missteps (and in DD also....and in TWS......and......), but, so far, it's my favorite non-movie Marvel effort (I can't compare movies to these as they are just too different).

Jessica Jones really is an interesting twist on a female hero...

Jessica and Luke play up the side of the coin that Martha Kent utters in the BvsS trailer... "you don't owe the world anything" (which i don't like hearing MK say... but whatever.. (superman and the kents should be more like captain america and less like sentry personality wise... but ok) They play the side of the coin that shuns heroics... and do not actively seek it out.

They have no moral compass of "with great power comes great responsibility" nor do they have the "catholic guilt" and need to protect their city like DareDevil. Infact, They just "Protect their own" and exploit their heroics for everyone else... Jess with Alias investigations and Cage with Heroes for Hire. They literally only get involved in heroics when A) it's directly effecting them or when it's B) paying the bills. So it's certainly a different breed of hero.

Jess also deals with the normal comic book female hero victim tropes (rape, babies, romance) but i think she handles it far better and sorta spins the trope on its head. and in a far more realistic (and respectful way) situations for women.

It will be interesting to see where they take her next... personally.. I'd have her fill the Phil Urich void... and get her a job at the Bugle like she had in Pulse. while still doing investigations on the side. This creates some great stories for her without having to get her shacked up and moved in and ready to make a baby with Cage right away...

and truth be told unlike most "baby and wedding stories" which lead to the death of the females characterization and usually leaving the female side-lined (see mary jane, and current Jessic Jones of the books) I actually look forward to seeing Jessica cope with being an unexpected mother and juggling her world and life with it... I think for such a flawed character, you can still tell brilliant stories with her and without making her boring.

Also, after that scene where Jessica puts a bullet in Patsy's mouth to get around Killgrave's order, I've just been thinking about clever ways to get around **** he tells you.

Cut out you're heart.
Draw a heart on a piece of paper and write you're on it.

Jump to your death.
Write death on the ground and jump to it.

Give her a thousand cuts.
Send a thousand cuts of your favorite lunchmeat to said person.

He's not that dangerous if you're creative. :p

Nice... of course, I think it's a little tricky as the implication seems to have weight, like with Jessica "taking care" of Reva. Someone else needs to come along and trick you and give you a moment to let it sink in that you've done what he asked.

yeah you clearly can't change his intent.. only someone else who comes along can change the meaning of the intent for you

The only time we ever saw someone rules-lawyer his commands, it was someone else other than the one commanded. I don't think the actual victims have the presence of mind to do such. Hell, if Killgrave is rushed and impatient, they don't even necessarily have the presence of mind to *do the command properly*.

Teefury has this shirt for sale. By Valhalla Halvorson

jessica_jones_by_fishmas-d9i7ifp.jpg

Jessica and Luke play up the side of the coin that Martha Kent utters in the BvsS trailer... "you don't owe the world anything" (which i don't like hearing MK say... but whatever.. (superman and the kents should be more like captain america and less like sentry personality wise... but ok) They play the side of the coin that shuns heroics... and do not actively seek it out.

They have no moral compass of "with great power comes great responsibility" nor do they have the "catholic guilt" and need to protect their city like DareDevil. Infact, They just "Protect their own" and exploit their heroics for everyone else... Jess with Alias investigations and Cage with Heroes for Hire. They literally only get involved in heroics when A) it's directly effecting them or when it's B) paying the bills. So it's certainly a different breed of hero.

Jess also deals with the normal comic book female hero victim tropes (rape, babies, romance) but i think she handles it far better and sorta spins the trope on its head. and in a far more realistic (and respectful way) situations for women.

It will be interesting to see where they take her next... personally.. I'd have her fill the Phil Urich void... and get her a job at the Bugle like she had in Pulse. while still doing investigations on the side. This creates some great stories for her without having to get her shacked up and moved in and ready to make a baby with Cage right away...

and truth be told unlike most "baby and wedding stories" which lead to the death of the females characterization and usually leaving the female side-lined (see mary jane, and current Jessic Jones of the books) I actually look forward to seeing Jessica cope with being an unexpected mother and juggling her world and life with it... I think for such a flawed character, you can still tell brilliant stories with her and without making her boring.

Sorry... No. I won't go into it but suffice to say, the things that Jon Kent says in MOS to young Clark IS EXACTLY THE MORALITY THAT SUPERMAN IN THE COMICS HAS PUT INTO ACTION AND "INACTION" FOR DECADES, FANS JUST DON'T LIKE TO THINK ABOUT IT. As for what Martha says... How about waiting for the actual film to comment on it in context?

“I’d love that. Me, personally – I’m ready to go,” Rosenberg said “Marvel has a lot going on. So does Netflix. So I don’t know if a second season fits into this schedule, when, whether or not we’ll get one. I don’t know any of that. I personally, I’m ready to jump in now. I’ve had some time off. I needed some time off! It was a really hard run.” Consistently generous in her praise for Jones’ comic book creator Brian Michael Bendis, she says there are a number of juicy comics storylines to adapt. “We’re always mining that series as much as we can. It’s just great story telling. So we’re not idiots, we’re not going to ignore great story telling. Grab it, use it, and claim it – then call it ‘an homage,'” she laughed.

She’s not certain yet how much specific input she’ll have in Jones’ other TV adventures, but she’s confident the character will remain consistent. “What I have is Krysten Ritter, and she and I are on exactly the same page with this character,” she said. “And that is a women that will not do something that violates the character in any way. So if I have nothing to do with it, I trust that she’s going to be the protector of the character.”

Ritter is certainly eager to spend more time in Jones’ anti-stylish boots and tying up some of season one’s loose ends. “I had such mixed emotions about the ending, because what does that mean for Jessica’s journey or her purpose? So I think I would love to see what she gets into next. And I love doing stunts – like, fight sequences and things like that. They always say in second seasons they really amp those up!”
it was a cool interview. They will likely do a season 2. Well ,we'll see. Had a feeling they'd make it iffy. I said as much before.

Last edited:
Very good show in my opinion, I found it more watchable than DD but I don't know which one I think is better. Found the villains in DD and JJ to be better than all of the Marvel movie villains.

Very good show in my opinion, I found it more watchable than DD but I don't know which one I think is better. Found the villains in DD and JJ to be better than all of the Marvel movie villains.

I'm glad you enjoyed it ISS. It was very different as a super hero show in particular. I just hope we can get more. I feel that this did not have the impact that DD did simple because it was much more character driven and wasn't concerned with giving us cool fights as much as great drama and dialog, not to mention characters. I am thinking Jess could end up not getting a second season and simple end up a Defenders character.

I'm glad you enjoyed it ISS. It was very different as a super hero show in particular. I just hope we can get more. I feel that this did not have the impact that DD did simple because it was much more character driven and wasn't concerned with giving us cool fights as much as great drama and dialog, not to mention characters. I am thinking Jess could end up not getting a second season and simple end up a Defenders character.
The show is like Veronica Mars (which I loved) if she were an A-hole and had Superpowers and her show was on cable. So yeah it was basically made for a girl like me. It had some issues that I don't want to discuss right now but so did Daredevil.

I will be super pissed off if they don't give us a second season.

Cage has outgrown the Hero for Hire mentality a long time ago.

They were different to be sure, but they were also both very different than the rest of the MCU offerings. The 13 episodes you can do with Netflix makes it a very different breed when it comes to entertainment. One of the things you point out (better villains) is, IMO, a direct result of being able to dig a little bit deeper into the character. In the netflix series, you have the equivalent of about 6 movies to get to know the characters. In a movie, you have the equivalent of, uh, well, about 1 movie. :cwink:

You mean television and film are two completely different mediums! :eek: :oldrazz:

Films have had decent villains before Marvel started making films, I don't know why that is suddenly an impossible task now?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"