Luke Cage Luke Cage General Discussion Thread - Part 2

Ok now I have to wonder if a Heroes for Hire announcement is coming.

I don’t think so. If that’s the plan, why not announce it at the same time as the cancellations?

With a Disney service pending, Heroes For Hire is always a possibility.

However, Deadline is reporting that the cancellation of Luke Cage is a combination of creative differences and the inability of the parties involved to come to a deal.
Apparently, Netflix was not happy with some of the scripts submitted for season 3 and the writers room was placed on hold this last week.

Wow definitely didn't see this one coming. First Iron Fist now Luke Cage. Iron Fist getting cancelled kind of makes more sense considering the reactions to the first season, but I was sure the first season of Luke Cage was far more well liked even though most seem to agree that the second half wasn't as good.

Once Disney announced their streaming service I figured Marvel Netflix was going to be wrapping up. I just didnt think it would be happening this soon. JJ 3 may end up being the last show in the series.

Ah, well, I can't say either of these shows were my favorites, but it would be a shame for Luke's story to end where it did, imo.

I am surprised. Didnt watch the 2nd season because I couldnt finish the 1st but I figured these shows were doing well. Though this may be in response to Disney starting their streaming service and the impending Marvel/Disney titles being pulled from Netflix once the contract is up.

The hell. Disney is just clearing a path ain't they.

Disney had nothing to do with these cancellations. And I doubt they are put on Disney's streaming service because of the content. IF it goes anywhere it would be Hulu. The licensing agreement for the Disney live action and animated films expires soon. But Netflix still holds the rights to the Marvel shows they've produced.

I worry that Disney is pushing up the licenses fees or doing something, along with Netflix, that is getting these stupidly cancelled in a pissing contest. I worry about Daredevil, JJ, and the Punisher. I can live without Iron FIst, and honestly didn't care all that much about Luke Cage. But losing any of the other three is going to hurt a lot. Especially Daredevil. Ugh, this sucks.

Disney had nothing to do with these cancellations. And I doubt they are put on Disney's streaming service because of the content. IF it goes anywhere it would be Hulu. The licensing agreement for the Disney live action and animated films expires soon. But Netflix still holds the rights to the Marvel shows they've produced.

Oddly coincidental tho.

Not surprised after the earlier IF news. I didn't particularly care for how S2 ended, but I'm not bothered if it doesn't get a formal resolution. Although, I would imagine a short run Heroes For Hire gets picked up at the coming Disney service or they finagle another Defenders series largely predicated on the same. In any event, I severely doubt that's the last we'll see of Danny or Luke.

This is no different than ABC (a company under Disney's own umbrella) cancelling Agent Carter, the Most Wanted AOS spin-off, and The Inhumans. It took an 11th hour save just to get AOS renewed for a short 6th season and that's mostly because of Disney forcing their hand a bit. What ABC has in common with Netflix is that they aren't obligated to keep these series just because it's Marvel. Especially if they aren't seeing a return on their investment. Critically or viewership wise.

Remember that Marvel series John Ridley was supposed be doing?

If there's no word on a pickup within the next few weeks or months then it's truly the end. You also have to factor that the options on the actors will expire too. Putting a time table on any potential pickup.

This is no different than ABC (a company under Disney's own umbrella) cancelling Agent Carter, the Most Wanted AOS spin-off, and The Inhumans. It took an 11th hour save just to get AOS renewed for a short 6th season and that's mostly because of Disney forcing their hand a bit. What ABC has in common with Netflix is that they aren't obligated to keep these series just because it's Marvel. Especially if they aren't seeing a return on their investment. Critically or viewership wise.

Remember that Marvel series John Ridley was supposed be doing?

If there's no word on a pickup within the next few weeks or months then it's truly the end. You also have to factor that the options on the actors will expire too. Putting a time table on any potential pickup.

I remember reading about John Ridley's deal, but did we ever find out what it was?

With this recent news, I think we can take it the Marvel Netflix era is ending.

Once Disney announced their streaming service I figured Marvel Netflix was going to be wrapping up. I just didnt think it would be happening this soon. JJ 3 may end up being the last show in the series.

It was inevitable I suppose. Disney and Netflix are competitors now.

If it would end up anywhere, one would wager Hulu or FX. Keep in mind Disney now owns FX and FXX.

Didn't Iger mention the more adult shows could end up on Hulu?

I remember reading about John Ridley's deal, but did we ever find out what it was?

With this recent news, I think we can take it the Marvel Netflix era is ending.

Unless Daredevil gets renewed withing the coming weeks.

The updated Deadline article goes into A LOT more detail. It had nothing to do with Disney's streaming service.

The updated Deadline article goes into A LOT more detail. It had nothing to do with Disney's streaming service.

I wouldn't say nothing. In the past both Marvel TV and Netflix would have bent over backwards to keep these shows in production. The disintegration of the Disney-Netflix relationship was likely a key factor in why Marvel TV and Netflix are no longer able to work together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"