Luke Cage Luke Cage General Discussion Thread - Part 2

In another sense, the cancellation was a done deal as the situation became tense on the corporate level. The Marvel shows on Netflix are costly to make, even with New York’s generous tax credits. Back in 2013, the streamer paid top dollar for the series that it doesn’t even own, so cutting Luke Cage loose was a shifting bottom line call. With the high cost, there has been pressure on the Marvel series to overperform in viewership. That was easier early on when they were among a handful of Netflix originals but is getting harder today as they compete with dozens of other buzzy shows on the Internet network.
Netflix Pulls The Plug On ‘Luke Cage’, No Season 3 For Marvel’s Harlem Hero

I worry that Disney is pushing up the licenses fees or doing something, along with Netflix, that is getting these stupidly cancelled in a pissing contest. I worry about Daredevil, JJ, and the Punisher. I can live without Iron FIst, and honestly didn't care all that much about Luke Cage. But losing any of the other three is going to hurt a lot. Especially Daredevil. Ugh, this sucks.

I agree. I am not broken up over losing Iron Fist or Luke Cage. I liked both shows, but cannot claim they were favorites of mine. I would be more than happy to see them migrate over to Hulu and become Heroes for Hire.

But if they cancel the other 3, and especially Daredevil, I will RIOT! Daredevil I honestly like more than 95% of the MCU movies. I have 2 episodes currently left to watch in season 3, and it is amazing so far. I am enjoying this almost as much as I did Infinity War. I consider it the penultimate version of the characters we're ever going to get on screen. If we lose this piece of amazing in some sort of ego contest, I will be angry. I would say the same for Punisher and JJ, but it is a lesser extent than Daredevil. I am nervous for its future now.

I know some are saying just reboot them all. I don't agree. Again, Daredevil's show is so good I want it to keep going. I value that show more than I do seeing him hang out with Spider-Man for fan service. Rebooting either Luke Cage or Iron Fist outright is a subtle way of saying those shows don't count, and I know I would lose interest in general. I am okay with Luke Cage and Iron Fist being retooled a bit, migrated to like Hulu, etc. Just keep the same continuity.

Season Two of JJ did nothing for me and I thought it was a step backwards from season one.

I felt season 2 was a massive improvement. I flat out hated the back half of season 1.

It's kind of like that silly Cavill Superman Instagram post. It's vague and cryptic, and fans can interpret what they want. But I'd agree with Mike Murdock, it's some sort of sign of solidarity probably. Like, ahh man. Both our shows just got cancelled but Danny and Luke are still the ultimate team.

Got this from his twitter

Mike Colter‏Verified account @realmikecolter
6h6 hours ago
I am forever grateful to Marvel and Netflix for letting me portray such a prolific character, and I thank you amazing fans. As one door closes, another has opened, with the birth of my daughter this week. A lot of great memories. Time to make more. Always forward, forward always

DqFYPguUUAASXFa.jpg

Mike Colter

Congrats to him :up:

And a good message to put up re the show being cancelled.

He's laying it on real thick.

I am still under the impression this is a marketing scheme

That's just too many goddamn hashtags. Hate that.

Anyhoo. :ftc:

Captain Midnight, didn't agree with all his points, but he did make a good one. Because Netflix is so coy with all their viewership numbers, it doesn't make any sense at all to us when a show gets cancelled or renewed. Why not release some actual, genuine numbers to tell us how a show is doing?

Also, isn't Netflix publicly owned? Do they not have an obligation to share their numbers with their stockholders?

Buy some stock and find out :o

Captain Midnight, didn't agree with all his points, but he did make a good one. Because Netflix is so coy with all their viewership numbers, it doesn't make any sense at all to us when a show gets cancelled or renewed. Why not release some actual, genuine numbers to tell us how a show is doing?

Also, isn't Netflix publicly owned? Do they not have an obligation to share their numbers with their stockholders?
They share their profit/loss numbers, but I suspect not viewership numbers. I'm sure the Board of Directors gets viewership numbers, though, so maybe run for that.

Just seems strange as a publicly traded company they aren't sharing that info.

I suspect they think it's better for their financial interests to keep that close to the chest.

I would really love to see all the viewing numbers for various shows.

All they are doing is regurgitating the same stuff we've already heard. There's no new information there.

Don’t Expect ‘The Defenders’ on Disney Streaming Service Any Time Soon (EXCLUSIVE)

Sources tell Variety that the deal for the original four Marvel shows includes a clause that prevents the characters from appearing in any non-Netflix series or film for at least two years after cancellation. That means that “Daredevil,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist” — which were all canceled this year at Netflix — could not come to the Disney streaming service until 2020 at the earliest.

Disney is not reviving them in 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"