Moon Knight Marvel Studios' Moon Knight General Discussion Thread

It's a very meaty role of you know the character so I get why he'd be on board.

moon-knight-fan-art-featured.jpg

da47kml-ebb6191f-fb8c-4601-9d7c-721dd7eacf4c.png

Moon-Knight-design-color-line.jpg

tumblr_owuf4v8YrS1uxh90oo1_400.png

ddnhe3r-2aa6949f-e20b-4f90-b1aa-ebf17b9bf07f.png

c7ef77e5f2ccd275028c7fdd96a378ae.jpg

DH2UntRa_0807170253581gpadd.jpg

Given the budget we think these shows are getting I am guessing the costume will be there and be prominent.

I am open to just about any version sans the gold accented one. Go uber faux Old timey with it. Make it tactical armor with a cape. Adapt the look in a more modern context. I'm also very open the Mr. Knight look as long as it's an alternate for some reason and not the main hero look.

The big question will be... Will they answer that question? Will Marc be a person who is acting under a delusion? Will he have true mental instability? Or is in fact his destiny being guided by mystical divine forces whose origin is ancient Egypt?

Or... Will they run away from all of that?

They might come under fire for ableism if they make light of or misrepresent mental illness. So I could imagine if they don't want to muddy the waters too much with what is depicted as representation of real mental illness and what as fictional supernatural occurences.

The big question will be... Will they answer that question? Will Marc be a person who is acting under a delusion? Will he have true mental instability? Or is in fact his destiny being guided by mystical divine forces whose origin is ancient Egypt?

Or... Will they run away from all of that?
I would like if they took all this on. Not sure about the likelihood, but it would raise the bar on this one if handled well.

I imagine the Khonshu thing will be kept ambiguous. And if Moon Knight ever interacts with other heroes, they will think he's a lunatic who needs to be committed.

And yet he will somehow shock them and surprise them with the things he knows and is able to do despite appearing to be superficially crazy. Like, "The dude's crazy, right? He's crazy, we all know he is...right?"

I hope their answer is "yes". Which is to say, Marc Specter is both legitimately crazy, and *also* legitimately the servitor of and empowered by a supernatural force. He's not "Is he a hero or is he insane", he's a hero, who is a hero despite also being insane.

I'd say have it so that he (or they, since DID systems usually use plural pronouns when referring to their whole self irl) developed DID at an early age as a consequence of trauma and only later came into contact with Khonshu. And at some point in the show make this explicit, so that it doesn't appear as if his mental condition is caused by magic or anything like that.

I'd say have it so that he (or they, since DID systems usually use plural pronouns when referring to their whole self irl) developed DID at an early age as a consequence of trauma and only later came into contact with Khonshu. And at some point in the show make this explicit, so that it doesn't appear as if his mental condition is caused by magic or anything like that.

See for me I think the trauma that causes the mental issue is being Moon Knight.

At least that's my take from the comics as the funneling of his psyche into different identities comes with his "mission" from Konshu. The pressures and PTSD of being a super hero are giant contributing factors, but I've never taken it that if Konshu is real that means magical forces are the root cause of his MPD/DID. Marc's psyche with his straind relationship with his father, boxing, the military and then working as a soldier of fortune, these all are things that would create enormous internal tension for any person. If Marc actually was resurrected by an ancient power... It's a lot to take in. Then he decides that in order to best serve the mission he's been handed that he should work with four distinct identities: Marc Spector, soldier of fortune, Jake Lockly, keyed into the streets cab driver and Steven Grant, wealthy society gadabout and the bane of the underworld Moon Knight. While Konshu is, if he's real, responsible for putting Marc in a position where he's likely to experience the kind of trauma, pressures and torments that can shake a person to their core mentally, I never think that Konshu "made Marc crazy". Any more than say, Iron Monger made Tony Stark an alcoholic. The background of Tony's life and the weight of being Iron Man on top of everything else factors into his seeking solace from the bottom of a glass.

Granted the comics themselves have been less than crystal clear as to what is actually going between Spector and Konshu and have played with this for decades, so a lot of above is me perhaps projecting more onto the narrative than is explicit.

See for me I think the trauma that causes the mental issue is being Moon Knight.

Okay, but see: as I understand it DID pretty much universally develops during childhood. So in order to reflect the reality of the disorder I'm not sure that would work.

Then he decides that in order to best serve the mission he's been handed that he should work with four distinct identities: Marc Spector, soldier of fortune, Jake Lockly, keyed into the streets cab driver and Steven Grant, wealthy society gadabout and the bane of the underworld Moon Knight.
I'm pretty sure people with DID don't "decide" to have distinct identities (they're also not referred to as "identities" irl either). Framing it like this would probably be seen as an extremely disrespectful and potentially harmful depiction.

Okay, but see: as I understand it DID pretty much universally develops during childhood. So in order to reflect the reality of the disorder I'm not sure that would work.

I'm pretty sure people with DID don't "decide" to have distinct identities (they're also not referred to as "identities" irl either). Framing it like this would probably be seen as an extremely disrespectful and potentially harmful depiction.

That is a bit besides the point though in the sense of that being the way the story is told in the comics. In so much as they are going to draw inspiration for this property from the books. I don't think it's a good idea, radically removing aspects that make the character stand apart from his peers like Daredevil or Batman. Though obviously they could.

Also, I think you are misconstruing what I meant by "decides".

Spector doesn't make a conscious decision per se to develop dissociative identity disorder. He intentionally creates cover identities, at the start no different than Batman's Matches Malone identity or Crocket and Tubbs' undercover IDs. Again, somewhere, somehow along the way the lines began to blur for him and the Grant, Locksly and to an extent Moon Knight itself becomes distinct from the persona of Marc Spector. Which again, doesn't point to Khonshu as "making Marc unstable" in some direct sense. A spell wasn't cast or some soul tampering or whatever comic book concept one can imagine. Classically what develops in Marc is indeed in Marc's mind as a result of his life experiences, which, if you want to go into childhood, I mentioned the father/son relationship, which is a drama all it's own based in Marc's father's rabbinical piety as well as Marc's youthful shame at what he thought of as his father's weakness and how this swirled to make the younger Spector fashion himself into all the things he sees as the opposite of the supposed weakness in his father. A clash with a Nazi who was living as a Rabbi under an assumed Jewish identity in the Chicago community that Spector and his father lived in, where the man nearly kills Marc, is often cited as a big inciting incident for his DID.

Which... Young guy is clashing with his father with questions of masculinity and acceptance into the wider American society jutting up against the trauma of almost being killed by a Nazi, who disguised himself as a Rabbi to escape justice?

I'd say that would fit your bill for an event in one's youth.

Again... I'm not laying out anything that's not in the comics and the specifics of your objections don't apply as neatly as you assume they do I think.

I hope their answer is "yes". Which is to say, Marc Specter is both legitimately crazy, and *also* legitimately the servitor of and empowered by a supernatural force. He's not "Is he a hero or is he insane", he's a hero, who is a hero despite also being insane.
Exactly what I want. :up:

That is a bit besides the point though in the sense of that being the way the story is told in the comics. In so much as they are going to draw inspiration for this property from the books. I don't think it's a good idea, radically removing aspects that make the character stand apart from his peers like Daredevil or Batman. Though obviously they could.
I'm not so sure. If the story in the comics is told in a way that could be harmful to real people they'll probably want to change it. They constantly make conscious choices to change things from the comics that might give issues, which is why for example M'Baku doesn't dress like a gorilla and goes around calling himself Man-Ape in the MCU and why Shang-Chi won't be the son of a yellow-faced Fu Manchu, nor will they have the Mandarin appear similar to that image. Either way, the character should still have DID and Khonshu should still be present, so I'm not sure what you mean by "radically removing aspects that make the character stand apart from his peers like Daredevil or Batman".

Spector doesn't make a conscious decision per se to develop dissociative identity disorder. He intentionally creates cover identities, at the start no different than Batman's Matches Malone identity or Crocket and Tubbs' undercover IDs. Again, somewhere, somehow along the way the lines began to blur for him and the Grant, Locksly and to an extent Moon Knight itself becomes distinct from the persona of Marc Spector.
Making up alter egos which then become alters later on doesn't really seem any better or more accurate to the reality of the disorder though.

I think it's definitely possible to have both the real mental disorder and mystical elements present and even have them interact. They just need to be careful to show how they are distinct. I could see it be the case that Marc, Steven and Jake are all present from childhood, but Steven and Jake are more often dormant, until they start switching/being triggered more due to stress related to military activity and potentially interaction with Khonshu. Something like that.

Last edited:
With plans to bring these characters to the movies, I find it hard to believe we won't see Isaac in costume at some point.

Great choice. He shot some of Watchmen, which was great.

I‘m ok with a black/white-design. As long as it is an all white cape, that seems like there‘s no face inside the hood and its floating - like a ghost

I‘m ok with a black/white-design. As long as it is an all white cape, that seems like there‘s no face inside the hood and its floating - like a ghost

I don't think that's official artwork, so we can't go by that. I think they just super-imposed the official logo over some existing art.

What are the chances they already have the finished costume design right now?

Budapest is really interesting.
Maybe because it looks like it could be near Transylvania?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"