Moon Knight Marvel Studios' Moon Knight General Discussion Thread

Just finished the Season. I think the MCU/D+ shows have progressively improved with each show, but there is still something just off with the shows (and the recent films). Again I did enjoy everything, this phase is just off.

but there is still something just off with the shows (and the recent films). Again I did enjoy everything, this phase is just off.
My theory is that there isn't something in sight about what is the next big crossover event. Is like a long Phase One with no Avengers on the horizon.
They're rearranging themselves after Endgame. Big names are out, new names are in.

Finally finished this and what a frustratingly uneven show. I think the concept is really interesting, the cast is great, both the costumes look good, but the execution just falls flat. If not for Oscar Isaac, I wouldn’t have even finished this show. I disliked how much of this show was focused on the mythology and plot and not the characters, especially because the plot itself is kinda weak. Man wants to release an entity to take over the world. Bleh. Episode 5 was the most character heavy and it was definitely the best one. And I think that’s the first time we actually get to know who Marc and Steven are. Before that, it was all just a mystery with Steven trying to figure out what’s happening and Marc trying to get back control. Oscar Isaac was good overall but he gave a great performance in 5. His performance is the only thing making me want more of Marc and Steven.

I also wish the focus hadn’t been so much on the Egyptian mythology because apart from maybe a couple, they just made the gods and their avatars look stupid and weak. I didn’t care for the villain either. I thought Ethan Hawke was wasted on really dull, hollow monologues. I mean I didn’t care for the protagonists either till episode 5 either but still... I liked the actress playing Layla but overall she was given weak material too.

At least her costume was pretty cool. I have no idea what superhero she’s supposed to be so I’ll have to google that.

Apart from the bad writing, the editing in this was also really weird and choppy. Especially in the finale as they were cutting back and forth between everyone in the temple and Marc and Steven in their scenes. The finale as a whole was pretty meh. Oh and the third personality being revealed in the end credits… They better have something good planned for that, otherwise that was super lame. I kept thinking that they’ll find him in the 5th episode because we saw another sarcophagus and the scale being unbalanced and all that. I thought they’ll need the third heart but… I guess not. It really brings up the question why did the scale balance if a whole other personality was missing? Or did the scale only need Marc because he’s the original one?

Oh and for a second there, I thought the villain was going to have a crisis of faith because Ammit wasn’t really giving a **** about the scales. She was choosing him as his avatar regardless. That would’ve been a little interesting. Instead he’s fine with it and just goes along with whatever she wants.

It’s just so messy. And for some reason, I always thought Moon Knight was similar to Batman in some regards… I think someone may have told me that. I didn’t see any of that here. Maybe I misremember :shrug:.

1.The Falcon & The Winter Soldier
2.Moon Knight
3.WandaVision
4.Loki
5.Hawkeye
6.What If

The Assembled episode of Moon Knight is now on Disney Plus.

1.The Falcon & The Winter Soldier
2.Moon Knight
3.WandaVision
4.Loki
5.Hawkeye
6.What If

I'm glad to see someone else who really appreciated The Falcon & The Winter Soldier because honestly outside of WandaVision and despite its issues I still think its the only Marvel/Disney Plus show that has done the most in developing the main characters, especially for Bucky who got a lot more room to shine than he ever did in the movies and it helps that its some of the best acting we've seen from Sebastian Stan.

1. WandaVision
2. The Falcon & The Winter Soldier
3. Moon Knight
4. Loki
5. What If
6. Hawkeye

I would actually also rank Falcon & Winter Soldier pretty high, I think all episodes but the finale are good to great.

I also appreciated a lot Moon Knight, but again, I think had also a weak finale mainly
the two gods fighting cheesy Ultraman style

WandaVision is fine but I feel overrated. I like all D+ MCU shows so far but if I must rank, which can change if I re watch:

Loki
F&WS
MK
HE
WV
WI
doesn’t mean I think WV is bad or didn’t like it, just that by comparison I like others better.

I have no idea why people were whinging about this. I gave it a go and loved it! But I’ve always been an Egyptian mythology geek

As a longtime Moon Knight fan, I saw very little actual Moon Knight/Marc Spector in this show. The Egyptian mythology aspects weren't a major part of this character or his best stories. Khonshu and his influence/manipulation of Marc, plus is Khonshu even real? Yes. But the mythology, not so much.

The action was nothing special. The fights felt low stakes. Ethan Hawke was an underwhelming villain.

Last edited:
Really enjoying my re-watch and very curious to see where MK turns up again in the MCU.

I fear the reactions on this forum for Ms. Marvel and She Hulk will be similar to Moon Knight. Just remember, Ms. Marvel is likely geared more towards teenagers since the likely teen tropes are expected. Those tropes that we might think are terrible on the show, teens may feel otherwise. Many of us aren't teens anymore. Yes we dealt with teenage stuff in the Spider-Man movies and some of the usual teen tropes (the nerdy protagonist, his nerdy best friend, a school crush, a school dance, a concerned but loving adult family member, the local bully who picks on the protagonist except he isn't a jock which is different, teachers and principals concerned for the students) but I feel like there will be more of that in Ms. Marvel and Spider Man spent a lot of time with older heroes anyways. Kamala Khan isn't going to do that. Most of the people she will spend time with are her high school classmates or her family.

With She Hulk, it's a comedy. There are a lot of people working on that show with experience in comedy. One of the cast members has experience in improv comedy, so that might help with the show's comedy. Having said all of that, I get this feeling that both Ms. Marvel and She Hulk will be met with the same comments as we've seen many of you with Moon Knight. I hope I am wrong.

I guess it's me never having any history with Marvel or DC Comics seeing things in a different view. As I have said, there's not one Disney+ MCU show that I hate. I like them all, but some a lot more than others. I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that I don't have a preconceived notion of comic books coming in. I like Moon Knight, but not as much as I did with Loki and WandaVision. I guess I am in the minority though.

Yeah I'm the same way, I never got into the comics so I judge all MCU entries from a clean slate POV. Anytime I see someone complaining about divergence from the comics I know that's an opinion I can just scroll past.

Yeah I'm the same way, I never got into the comics so I judge all MCU entries from a clean slate POV. Anytime I see someone complaining about divergence from the comics I know that's an opinion I can just scroll past.

Eh, I feel like that's not *quite* fair. Divergence from the comics is a fair point of critique, *if and only if* it is in the context of "this is part of what makes the character function and appeal to the audience". A change from the source material isn't intrinsically bad, but its not intrinsically harmless either.

That said, sure, 90% of complaints about "not faithful to the comics!" are misguided at best and often outright nonsensical.

Having now seen Moon Knight I'd go:

1. Loki
2. WandaVision
3. Hawkeye
4. Moon Knight
5. The Falcon & The Winter Soldier
6. What If

The reason I put The Falcon & The Winter Soldier at 5 is because it's the least fun and also the most problematic for the MCU. Introducing other super soldiers and making Falcon Captain America takes away from the original Captain America and by extension the MCU.

I know this was the way it was always going to go but it doesn't change the fact that for me it takes away from the first four phases.

I am torn between 1 and 2 because both added significantly to the MCU, but Loki is probably the most important addition to the MCU in Phase IV because it opened up the multi-verse which is where it needed to go after End Game.

The rest of Phase IV has felt like its threading water somewhat (I assume Multiverse of Madness will be another game changer).

Hawkeye I felt progressed that other part of the MCU which will be the more grounded part particularly (re)introducing Kingpin and potentially merging the Netflix series.

But this thread is about Moon Knight...

Look, it was entertaining, confusing, bonkers, unbelievably acted (seriously if this had been a movie, Oscar Isaac, should've been in the running for an Oscar!). I am struggling to see where it fits but I don't think it matters. It also doesn't take away from anything (except the Eternals sort of if they have been co-existing with Egyptian gods (and the rest now that that can of worms is open)).

The Eternals added nothing to the MCU and took huge chunks away so I am not that bothered about that.

Even isolated from the rest of the MCU, I found this show dull and pointless and just not resembling anything related to the best runs on moon Knight.

My theory is that there isn't something in sight about what is the next big crossover event. Is like a long Phase One with no Avengers on the horizon.
They're rearranging themselves after Endgame. Big names are out, new names are in.

What's funny isn't it really isn't longer than phase 1 in terms of real time, just in terms of content. Phase 1 was 2008 to 2012. Phase 4 only started in 2021, just over a year ago.

I mentioned elsewhere that I think a season 2 can be much better not having to cram all the setup into only 6 episodes. Hope we also get to see more of the street level Moon Knight in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"