Moon Knight Marvel Studios' Moon Knight General Discussion Thread

I fear the reactions on this forum for Ms. Marvel and She Hulk will be similar to Moon Knight. Just remember, Ms. Marvel is likely geared more towards teenagers since the likely teen tropes are expected. Those tropes that we might think are terrible on the show, teens may feel otherwise. Many of us aren't teens anymore. Yes we dealt with teenage stuff in the Spider-Man movies and some of the usual teen tropes (the nerdy protagonist, his nerdy best friend, a school crush, a school dance, a concerned but loving adult family member, the local bully who picks on the protagonist except he isn't a jock which is different, teachers and principals concerned for the students) but I feel like there will be more of that in Ms. Marvel and Spider Man spent a lot of time with older heroes anyways. Kamala Khan isn't going to do that. Most of the people she will spend time with are her high school classmates or her family.

With She Hulk, it's a comedy. There are a lot of people working on that show with experience in comedy. One of the cast members has experience in improv comedy, so that might help with the show's comedy. Having said all of that, I get this feeling that both Ms. Marvel and She Hulk will be met with the same comments as we've seen many of you with Moon Knight. I hope I am wrong.

I guess it's me never having any history with Marvel or DC Comics seeing things in a different view. As I have said, there's not one Disney+ MCU show that I hate. I like them all, but some a lot more than others. I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that I don't have a preconceived notion of comic books coming in. I like Moon Knight, but not as much as I did with Loki and WandaVision. I guess I am in the minority though.

I have a 18 year "relationship" of sorts with Marvel Comics and I loved Moon Knight. It's just a different strokes thing I feel, it wasn't extremely accurate to what people may have thought but the MCU is at a point where I'm looking more towards its self contained lore than it being an adaption of anything.

My rankings of the shows are

1. Moon Knight
2. WandaVision
3. Loki
4. Hawkeye
5. Falcon And The Winter Soldier

I didn't hate FATWS and really enjoyed it I'm just more interested in the gods/cosmic/mystical stuff at the moment.
Some people just like different stuff but I do agree on your guesses for both Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk. I've already seen the discourse of "Is Ms. Marvel the worst thing Marvels ever made" and the usual "Woke = Broke" comments.

It's disappointing but can't change things I guess.

I have a 18 year "relationship" of sorts with Marvel Comics and I loved Moon Knight. It's just a different strokes thing I feel, it wasn't extremely accurate to what people may have thought but the MCU is at a point where I'm looking more towards its self contained lore than it being an adaption of anything.

1. Moon Knight
2. WandaVision
3. Loki
4. Hawkeye

I didn't hate FATWS and really enjoyed it I'm just more interested in the gods/cosmic/mystical stuff at the moment.
Some people just like different stuff but I do agree on your guesses for both Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk. I've already seen the discourse of "Is Ms. Marvel the worst thing Marvels ever made" and the usual "Woke = Broke" comments.

Without any comics background I have, I thought a lot of the stuff Moon Knight did was really cool. I enjoyed it. For me, Ms. Marvel and She Hulk has nothing do with Woke = Broke. It's more "the MCU did Ms. Marvel wrong by changing her powers" and "sigh....the same old MCU humor in She Hulk" despite the fact that She Hulk is a comedy. I think the 4th Wall breaking aspect of She Hulk is going to be interesting, although I preferred more of a mockumentary ala The Office or Parks and Recreation. I think She Hulk being a mockumentary would be fun. It would have a camera crew follow The Hulk and they end up following She Hulk instead. Oh well, maybe season two if there is going to be.

1. Moon Knight
2. WandaVision
3. Loki
4. Hawkeye

My rankings of the MCU shows is the same. :up:

I think I'll probably like Ms. Marvel due to me not having any preconceived notions about the character. I do hope she has a power set different than Carol Danvers. Same for She Hulk. If the whole 4th wall thing is one of her enhanced abilities aside from the usual Hulk powers, I am all for that. As I have said before my main fear for She Hulk is too many characters with the same powers as the Hulk and nothing different about them.

Well this series is bad. Granted I know nothing about the character beforehand. All I am basing this on is what I have seen in the series. I was expecting to see Moon Knight fighting crime or something. The story they are telling is just drudging along like they have 26 episodes or something. At some point you have to tell a story.
Quick recap so you don't waist your time and you can just watch the finale.
Guy with multiple personalities tries to stop man who wants to unleash an Egyptian god. Hilarity insues? Nope, just poor storytelling.
This man!! I wanted to like this show but it was so off. Honestly one of the worst tv adaptions of a comic character I have ever seen. Almost nothing like his comic counterpart. He doesn't fight crime, doesn't have the gadgets in the comics, and they REALLY over did the Personality Disorder thing. This was really a missed opportunity.

I enjoyed it for Oscar's performance, but this show was infuriatingly uneven. If there's a season 2 they're gonna need a new director and screenwriters.

And yeah, I'm gonna need someone to explain the asylum ****. All of that went right over my head.

I think I need a binge. I really enjoyed the performances but the plot made no sense to me at all. I get it was about stopping Ahmet from being freed but it seemed convoluted how Stephen got involved in the first place.

Even then the pacing is all off for this show and you can tell they were a bit afraid to go even weirder with the mental heath aspect because Legion already did it (and so much better btw). And on top of that, you got a showrunner who didn't find Marc Spectre interesting enough, so they gave most of the screen time to Steven.

All in all, this should have been a movie and not a show.

This man!! I wanted to like this show but it was so off. Honestly one of the worst tv adaptions of a comic character I have ever seen. Almost nothing like his comic counterpart. He doesn't fight crime, doesn't have the gadgets in the comics, and they REALLY over did the Personality Disorder thing. This was really a missed opportunity.

That is why I am not a comics person as I don't want any preconceived notions of the character to affect what I am watching. It makes me enjoy the shows a lot better not knowing any of the stories and I largely do cursory glances of the characters via google on the characters anyways, not going into full detail. While I liked this show, it wasn't the best as I thought Loki was better. I thought the worst show was Falcon and the Winter Soldier and I didn't hate that show, I actually liked it. I just thought the other shows were better and I have largely given the show a pass as a lot of things had to be scrapped when the world shut down. My main issue with that show was that there were too many super soldiers with the same abilities but with no distinguishable features that make them different from the original Steve Rogers, as I have said many times.

My only exposure to Moon Knight is from the Ultimate Alliance video games, and I just thought he had a really awesome costume design. I went in this series pretty fresh, and man the first trailer and costume picture that was revealed had me hyped. That said, this series was not for me. I felt rather bored. Uninterested in a lot of the plot going on, the dual personality bit got to be a little much over time, the CGI on the suit looked pretty off at times too. If there's another season, I will check it out, but I can honestly say, I don't really care if they do or not. I wasn't left wanting more. Sadly. I'm glad other people are enjoying it though.

My only exposure to Moon Knight is from the Ultimate Alliance video games, and I just thought he had a really awesome costume design. I went in this series pretty fresh, and man the first trailer and costume picture that was revealed had me hyped. That said, this series was not for me. I felt rather bored. Uninterested in a lot of the plot going on, the dual personality bit got to be a little much over time, the CGI on the suit looked pretty off at times too. If there's another season, I will check it out, but I can honestly say, I don't really care if they do or not. I wasn't left wanting more. Sadly. I'm glad other people are enjoying it though.
I only knew of the character from the game and a few interesting images from him fighting with Deadpool too. I wish I decided to skip this show because it never really grabbed me. I had zro expectations of the character appearing in the bigger picture of the MCU. I fell asleep almost every episode and had to rewatch.

I fear the reactions on this forum for Ms. Marvel and She Hulk will be similar to Moon Knight. Just remember, Ms. Marvel is likely geared more towards teenagers since the likely teen tropes are expected. Those tropes that we might think are terrible on the show, teens may feel otherwise. Many of us aren't teens anymore. Yes we dealt with teenage stuff in the Spider-Man movies and some of the usual teen tropes (the nerdy protagonist, his nerdy best friend, a school crush, a school dance, a concerned but loving adult family member, the local bully who picks on the protagonist except he isn't a jock which is different, teachers and principals concerned for the students) but I feel like there will be more of that in Ms. Marvel and Spider Man spent a lot of time with older heroes anyways. Kamala Khan isn't going to do that. Most of the people she will spend time with are her high school classmates or her family.

With She Hulk, it's a comedy. There are a lot of people working on that show with experience in comedy. One of the cast members has experience in improv comedy, so that might help with the show's comedy. Having said all of that, I get this feeling that both Ms. Marvel and She Hulk will be met with the same comments as we've seen many of you with Moon Knight. I hope I am wrong.

I guess it's me never having any history with Marvel or DC Comics seeing things in a different view. As I have said, there's not one Disney+ MCU show that I hate. I like them all, but some a lot more than others. I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that I don't have a preconceived notion of comic books coming in. I like Moon Knight, but not as much as I did with Loki and WandaVision. I guess I am in the minority though.
I think Ms. Marvel could be okay just because she will likely have some involvement in the Captain Marvel movies in the future. Marvel did have Runaways or whatever on Hulu so it maybe the same young approach.

She-Hulk I don't know if I will watch. They didn't do a great job with Hulk only really liked him in A1 and Ragnarok. Don't think She-Hulk will be in the big picture of the MCU either.

My issue with the show was

the story more than the characters. It was all over the place. And among finales, it was an okay one. I did enjoy Layla being a superhero though.

Based on my cursory glances of new characters upcoming:

- America Chavez is a teen from another dimension with two mothers and creating portals.
- Ms. Marvel is a teen with stretchy powers.
- She Hulk is an attorney, Bruce's cousin, a female Hulk and a funny character.

I think Ms. Marvel could be okay just because she will likely have some involvement in the Captain Marvel movies in the future. Marvel did have Runaways or whatever on Hulu so it maybe the same young approach.

She-Hulk I don't know if I will watch. They didn't do a great job with Hulk only really liked him in A1 and Ragnarok. Don't think She-Hulk will be in the big picture of the MCU either.

I'll watch it, as 4th wall is going to be an interesting approach (although a mockumentary style would have been fun and I would have preferred that). I do think that She Hulk will be in the wider MCU because I don't think Ruffalo will be in the MCU much longer. If he ever gets a solo movie, I think that will be Ruffalo's last Hulk movie. Any future Avengers team is going to need some brute force when Ruffalo is done playing Banner, and She Hulk is likely to be his replacement. I can't see them using Red Hulk since William Hurt has passed. Red She Hulk isn't in the picture and I would rather Betty become Red Harpy than Red She Hulk if she ever comes back to the MCU.

I'll watch it, as 4th wall is going to be an interesting approach (although a mockumentary style would have been fun and I would have preferred that). I do think that She Hulk will be in the wider MCU because I don't think Ruffalo will be in the MCU much longer. If he ever gets a solo movie, I think that will be Ruffalo's last Hulk movie. Any future Avengers team is going to need some brute force when Ruffalo is done playing Banner, and She Hulk is likely to be his replacement. I can't see them using Red Hulk since William Hurt has passed. Red She Hulk isn't in the picture and I would rather Betty become Red Harpy than Red She Hulk if she ever comes back to the MCU.
I don't know how much of the 4th wall they will do with Deadpool being involved in future MCU stuff. It maybe best to just have one character do it and he is the most known for doing it. She Hulk was pretty involved in big stories or fights in comics and can be more talkative than Hulk so it is possible to have her involved in movies and such. It will really depend on what they want to do with Hulk himself, already did some version of Planet Hulk in Ragnarok. The only one left is old Hulk.

I don't know how much of the 4th wall they will do with Deadpool being involved in future MCU stuff. It maybe best to just have one character do it and he is the most known for doing it. She Hulk was pretty involved in big stories or fights in comics and can be more talkative than Hulk so it is possible to have her involved in movies and such. It will really depend on what they want to do with Hulk himself, already did some version of Planet Hulk in Ragnarok. The only one left is old Hulk.

That is why I would have preferred a mockumentary for She Hulk instead of 4th wall. It would be a film crew that originally follows Bruce but instead begins to follow Jennifer.

I enjoyed the core characters of this series and would gladly see them again, but thought the plot was a big miss. The way they portrayed magic and gods was all a bit silly.

I feel like what I always loved about the character in the comics was the the Egyptian mysticism against an urban noir backdrop. It made the character feel distinct from other vigilantes, with a hook that was unique to the superhero world.

But something about losing that noir vigilante vibe in favour of a goofy washbuckling Mummy Lie adventure really kinda cheapened that. Moon Knights whole deal never really felt as cool and unique as it should have, because the rest of the world was SO much more extreme and over the top.

I liked the show, but I think the special effects are probably the worst I've seen in an MCU project so far. The CGI suit, the CGI creatures and characters, obvious green screen at times... it didn't look great. It didn't really bother me, but it looked bad compared to the other MCU shows. Isaac's performance was great though.

Also I feel like I still don't really know Moon Knight. (The suit) His powers and strength level are still a bit unclear to me, and he doesn't even seem to be that powerful... they didn’t really explain his powers, except for the healing part. I'm not familiar with the character, but from what I heard before, I thought (and hoped) this was going to be closer to something like DareDevil. More brutal vigilante stuff...

If I had to rank the shows right now, it would be:

1. Hawkeye
2. Loki
3. Moon Knight
4. WandaVision
5. Falcon & the Winter Soldier

Moon Knight isn't as tight as Loki, nor does it have quite as compelling a lead; OTOH, it also isn't the complete tragedy "worst day in the life of" that WandaVision was. So, middle the pack.

I have it at:

1. WandaVision
2. Loki
3. Falcon & the Winter Soldier
4. Hawkeye
5. Moon Knight

1.Loki
2. Hawkeye
3.&4. WandaVision & Moon Knight
5. Falcon & Wintersoldier
(6. What if…)

Users who are viewing this thread