MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the most Asian show on TV you’ve never heard of
The superhero series is as close to a post-racial universe as you will get on TV, with visible minorities both in front of and behind the cameras.
marvel-agents-ms-051013copy.jpg.size.custom.crop.877x650.jpg

"Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." may just be one of the most diverse shows on TV, says our critic Tony Wong.

PASADENA, CALIF.—Fresh Off The Boat or Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Which show is the most progressively Asian?
In the debate over diversity in Hollywood, it’s improbable that a superhero series would be held up as a bastion of the multi-racial universe. But Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. demonstrates that real change comes from the top: an Asian woman is the co-creator and executive producer while two of its leads are Asian women. It is the most Asian show on television that you’ve never heard of.
This is as close to a post-racial universe as you will get on television. And while many shows such have made great strides in getting visible minorities in front of the cameras, it’s also a lesson that true change starts in the executive suite.

“Being a woman of colour working in this business — diversity has always been something that’s very important to me and seeing proper representation in my work,” says Maurissa Tancharoen, the co-creator and show-runner of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in an interview with the Star. The series, now in its fourth season, can be seen on Tuesdays on CTV.
Tancharoen stands on the cavernous studio set that houses the S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division) mobile command headquarters, a loading bay revealing an armoured car and enough tactical gear to save the earth twice over. With the backing of ABC-owned Disney, the show is undeniably big-budget broadcast television — and you can tell by the sets.
“For us, a way of empowering diversity is not highlighting it at all. You don’t have to say this person is an Asian, or Latino or Black. They are who they are. We haven’t had any moments where we point out specifically about race or background. People are just people,” says Tancharoen.
marvelsagentsofshieldy4d407-f0731450068441.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x638.jpg

At 53, Ming-Na Wen (left) is still playing an action star as S.H.I.E.L.D.’s most feared enforcer, Melinda May. (Jennifer Clasen)

Tancharoen, 41, is of Thai descent. When she set out to create the show along with husband Jed Whedon (brother of Avengers director Joss Whedon) she was insistent that at least one of the leads should be Asian.
“It was a goal that I put out there and it wasn’t a secret,” says Tancharoen.
That led her to Ming-Na Wen, who was one of the first Asian superheroes as Chun-Li in the 1994 movie Streetfighter, and who before that played a leading role in The Joy Luck Club. At 53, Wen is still playing an action star as S.H.I.E.L.D.’s most feared enforcer, Melinda May.
“I had been following Ming-Na’s work for years, so I had a bit of a fan girl moment when she finally came into the room and we met,” says Tancharoen.
But she didn’t stop there. Tancharoen hired bi-racial actress Chloe Bennet (whose real surname is Wang) as Skye, a secret agent with the power to create earthquakes.
chloe-bennet-51490902.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x567.jpg

"In the show you don’t really think about race because it’s completely invisible in many ways," says Chloe Bennet, one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Asian leads. (Jennifer Clasen)
“I feel like there should be some recognition because we have more women, not just Asian but Asian females, and I don’t think that there’s many other shows like that out there,” says Wang in an interview. “This is especially when the creator and show-runner and the two female leads are all Asian women and I’m so proud about it. In the show you don’t really think about race because it’s completely invisible in many ways. Which, in some ways, that’s the way it should be.”

Marvel doesn’t have a great track record when it comes to depicting Asians. Casting a white woman (Tilda Swinton) as the Ancient One in Doctor Strange was widely condemned as whitewashing. Madame Gao, the gnarly Chinese mob boss in Netflix’s Daredevil, speaks in Confucian parables and embodies all the traits of the hysterical Yellow Peril propaganda of the Second World War.

Tancharoen has had a varied career, from actress to musician to writer and now executive. But she says her early years of facing sexism and racism in Hollywood helped to shape her outlook when it came to being a manager.

“But I’ve always tried to keep my chin up. I never tried to forget my unique voice and reminded myself that one day we could all be heard.”
“As a young Asian woman trying to make my way in this business, I’ve had my fair (share of) run-ins with misogynists, with racists,” says Tancharoen.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...st-asian-show-on-tv-youve-never-heard-of.html

I enjoyed season 2 of Agent Carter. The only thing that upsets me is the ending. I really hope Marvel does a one-shot that shows them tying up the ending as well as Stark, Carter and Phillips creating SHIELD.

2016 was an excellent year for the MCU. Civil War with the introduction of Black Panther and Spider-man, Dr. Strange, Daredevil season 2 with the introduction of the Punisher, Luke Cage, Agents of SHIELD with the introduction of Ghost Rider, and Agent Carter season 2. I've enjoyed all of these installments to varying degrees. Here's to hoping 2017 is just as good, if not better.

Agreed. In a crappy year for the planet we had a good MCU year. If this trend holds 2017 should be the best MCU year to date.:sly:

ABC President Updates On Mystery Marvel Show From John Ridley

http://heroichollywood.com/abc-updates-marvel-show-john-ridley/

He's so busy with two other shows right now that it sounds like he isn't investing a lot of time in this. I'd at least like to know the character.

Mace, why do you just post article links without any context or relation to what is being discussed?

And in every thread. Why do we care so much about Vijay?

And as I said in the main AoS thread, AoS is not the most Asian show on TV. Hawaii Five-0 is.

Mace, why do you just post article links without any context or relation to what is being discussed?

I am,the mcu.
That's being discussed right?
All things mcu,diversity,shows,movies in this thread? or not?
I did not look at the rules if there is any at the beginning of this thread.

Oh and i have not looked at past recent talk,but i thought this thread was for all mcu talk.
If i posted this in the race and gender talk thread that's suppose to be for movies only that i can't find now then thevileone like always recently get's on my case,so i just put the recent info here.
(I had a funny feeling he will say something after you did)he can't help himself.
I can't find the race or diversity thread now because it's been a long time since i posted here and i just don't feel like looking it up.

If you don't want it here then what thread do you want me to put in that i could see right away without looking up anything?
You could easy p.m. me so a big deal does not have to me made again and start this thevileone one up again.
Oh thevileone, just be quiet and let ME talk to the guy who ask the question.
You don't have butt in everything about race or diversity i post.Trust me if i was posting/creating a new thread that i don't feel like creating anyway,you will ask the question why are you posting this here.
I guess you would gotten use to getting on my case if i was to create a thread dealing with the info above right.
Then you would say there is thread,the mcu one that talk all things mcu official discussion one.
By the way, i thought diversity talk was talked in this thread awhile ago too.
Anyway posting the info above says it all.
Do i now need to add commentary now?
The info speaks for itself.

Last edited:
I go to this forum more often now below.Cbr.
That why you have not seen me here that much lately i guess some are happy about that.(not mentioning any names)
Issues of race,gender is talk about all the time,so i guess it's habit that some here are uncomfortable or abit uncomfortable with.
Cbr thread or alot of them always talking about race,politics etc..so when i come here,things tend to be more calm,but the habit i bring still lingers. I spend alot time in that forum so race,gender etc..is alot times on top of your head as well when it comes to superhero talk.Not just strictly movie,comic and show talk.
There are folks who post stuff all time below(or use to)with out commentary or context in the minority report thread when diversity is being talk about,so i just got use to doing that too.
Just giving an explanation.You wanted,you have it.

Anyway just check the post from aja christopher below.He just post things and at times does not comment.I JUST i got the habit from him.I do not post that much anyway so it's easy sometimes to pick things(bad habits,good habits etc..) up from others when you not constantly posting.

Thread: The Minority Report! Diversity In The MU.

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?596-The-Minority-Report!-Diversity-In-The-MU/page251

And in every thread. Why do we care so much about Vijay?

And as I said in the main AoS thread, AoS is not the most Asian show on TV. Hawaii Five-0 is.
Don't exaggerate.
It's not every thread,just key ones.
Well i did posted about Vijay because he seems to be an inhuman we never seen before and for varied other reasons.
Oh and you posted in the main AOS THREAD?
I just came from there and i did not see your post.
I have to check again.

Last edited:
This is the Marvel Films sections, and we are keeping things more about the greater MCU as in the films and not so much TV. Not to mention, you tend to post the same content in multiple sections over and over without really adding anything to the discussion. It's a lot like spam. That's why it puts people off.

Also, you put all those Agents of SHIELDS post in the Agents of SHIELD sections and CBR pretty much verbatim. That can happen sometimes if there are multiple relevant threads, but you aren't really adding much to the discussion. You are just spamming the same links and articles over and over again and not really reading the room.

Previously, there was a thread about racial diversity in the MCU, which you basically derailed the discussion frequently with just a lot of spam posts that had nothing to do with the MCU, film or TV, or even Marvel in general.

This isn't really the Agents of SHIELD/Vijay Nadeer thread or forum. And even then all you did was post his MCU wiki link. You aren't really discussing anything about the character, who he might be. If he's meant to be a character or hero or villain from the Marvel comics.

Last edited:
This is the Marvel Films sections, and we are keeping things more about the greater MCU as in the films and not so much TV. Not to mention, you tend to post the same content in multiple sections over and over without really adding anything to the discussion. It's a lot like spam. That's why it puts people off.

Also, you put all those Agents of SHIELDS post in the Agents of SHIELD sections and CBR pretty much verbatim. That can happen sometimes if there are multiple relevant threads, but you aren't really adding much to the discussion. You are just spamming the same links and articles over and over again and not really reading the room.

Previously, there was a thread about racial diversity in the MCU, which you basically derailed the discussion frequently with just a lot of spam posts that had nothing to do with the MCU, film or TV, or even Marvel in general.

Here YOU starting with spam stuff again.Did we went over this before and you lost that argument.
Still feeling salty?i guess so.
How is that spam?
I posted the info each one time in this thread.
Don't worry if it's another forum.
Mind your own business in this forum.

Spam would be posting the same info many times in this forum.I post the asians in aos one time in this thread.
That's not spam,but you posting about me posting certain things is.

I posted in another forum in website because there folks who watch the show but may not come often to this forum/thread.

It's two times i did,and only one time in this forum/thread.
You make it sound like i did 100 times,so stop with the lies and exaggeration.
As for before.
The mod. said it was not spam posting in other threads,it was related info in those threads and you lost that argument but here you are going telling the same lies over again.
I thought the mod. tell you to back off.
It's not your place.
If the mod feels it was spam he/she would have told me or the thread starter.

If you have nothing to say about the info,then don't say anything all.If the mod. feels anything is spam,they will deal with the person or me.

Trust me and trust the mod. and let them do thier jobs.
Why are you so eager to do thier jobs for them? hmmm.

By the way to me the mcu is all talk that is mcu,not just movies.If thread starter said mcu movie talk only then i would just posts show info only in shows thread.

By the way why do i need to comment about related news to the mcu if the info is posted.
If i posted some news later about a new character that will appear in the next thor movie,do i have make a comment about it after or before i post the links or the info?
I don't think that's needed so calm down.
The info speaks for it's self.If i want to make comment related to news,than that will be up to me,not you.
I think it will be wise if you stayed on topic and leave me the heck alone.Okay?
Okay.

Last edited:
This is the Marvel Films sections, and we are keeping things more about the greater MCU as in the films and not so much TV.

Off topic (and I'm not disagreeing with your overall point), but I always thought it was weird to have a movie general discussion forum but not include the TV side of things. It makes it very awkward because MCU discussion that would naturally fit here end up in the General TV discussion forum. It seems easier to discuss both in context together.

I lost nothing. Other people here are clearly put off by it, but you refuse to acknowledge that.

Next up, you aren't posting news. Wikipedia links and character entries aren't news.

You are the one the completely derails threads in their tracks with constant spam. This isn't really related information. You are just posting the same things over and over in multiple forums.

Also, if you are going to post spam in this forum, I'm going to comment on it. You aren't my father. You aren't my boss. You aren't a mod here. So you don't order me to mind my business. I do not take orders from you.

Some sort of discussion would be nice instead of posting the same junk in every forum you post at, since this is a discussion forum, and this is the MCU OFFICIAL DISCUSSION THREAD. It's about discussion of the MCU in the Marvel Films section.

Off topic (and I'm not disagreeing with your overall point), but I always thought it was weird to have a movie general discussion forum but not include the TV side of things. It makes it very awkward because MCU discussion that would naturally fit here end up in the General TV discussion forum. It seems easier to discuss both in context together.
I guess we can discuss both, but this is the discussion thread. Mace1 already posted all the AOS stuff in the AOS threads verbatim. He posted them on CBR, was it really necessary to post all of that here. OK, there's a character on Agents of SHIELD this season who is Vijay Nadeer and is an Inhuman. Why post his wikia entry? That's not really a discussion post.

Mace1's agenda is pretty clear and it is heavily bordering on the spam side. When it annoys other people, he blatantly ignores it. As MBJ so eloquently pointed out:

And no posting a wikipedia entry on a random character from AOS doesn't count. A wikipedia entry on an existing character isn't really news related or discussion worthy.

I lost nothing. Other people here are clearly put off by it, but you refuse to acknowledge that.

Next up, you aren't posting news. Wikipedia links and character entries aren't news.

You are the one the completely derails threads in their tracks with constant spam. This isn't really related information. You are just posting the same things over and over in multiple forums.

Also, if you are going to post spam in this forum, I'm going to comment on it. You aren't my father. You aren't my boss. You aren't a mod here. So you don't order me to mind my business. I do not take orders from you.

Some sort of discussion would be nice instead of posting the same junk in every forum you post at, since this is a discussion forum, and this is the MCU OFFICIAL DISCUSSION THREAD. It's about discussion of the MCU in the Marvel Films section.

What other people.One or two and you.
That's not alot.Everything you said is a lie.
It's not every forum,it's not's spam,i don't want be your father,boss etc..THE stuff i posted is news and info,all related and it was not even that much just two posts in this thread of news and other related info.
So stop the non-sense.

Last edited:
No it's not. Anyway you are on ignore now. Done with your thread-derailing nonsense. I recommend anyone else who is ever annoyed with mace1's spam material do the same.

EDIT:

Here's a better example of something that's actually MCU related that's newsworthy. Michael Keaton actually at first said no to playing the Vulture. And that reason was due to scheduling.

https://variety.com/2017/film/in-co...spider-man-homecoming-the-founder-1201958387/

“No, I mean, not at all. It’s just a thing. A gig,” Keaton stated. “I don’t mean it’s just a gig, it’s the next job. And you think you can do it or want to do it and in fact I said no, because I couldn’t, it didn’t work in my schedule. Then I’m glad to say, they kind of shifted the scheduling and it worked out. So it fit in and I’m glad I did it.”

He also revealed he didn't have any hesitation taking on the role after Birdman which sort of satirizes superhero movies and roles and how they can really be tough on actors careers as they get older. Considering Keaton played Batman, it's likely something he's had to deal with for years. However, it didn't really bother him at all for Spider-Man.

This actually isn't the first time Marvel adjusted a film schedule to fit the actor. They did it with Benedict Cumberbatch with Doctor Strange. So, I think it's pretty good at this point that Marvel Studios has enough control that they are willing to make shooting adjustments if there's an actor they want. That's fantastic because Cumberbatch was a great Doctor Strange. Keaton really looks like he will make a fantastic Vulture.

I hope this is symbolic of Kevin Feige's influence over the productions and things are getting more flexible.

Last edited:
No it's not. Anyway you are on ignore now. Done with your thread-derailing nonsense. I recommend anyone else who is ever annoyed with mace1's spam material do the same.

So you are spokesman for everyone here?
Good to know,NOT.
You don't speak for every one here.
You don't speak for me and you don't speak for most folks here.
Like i said your posts are incorrect.

It's NOT derailing and it's not like this thread had constant talk before i am came back here.
There was barely any talk here before i came here,so no one was derailing anything.
I barely post in this thread,so what the heck you talking about it?

I post few things related by the way and i was planning not to post anything else for awhile at all.
I just came back to see if anybody knew about the aos info that is recent and the wiki bio they have for the new inhuman that's now in the mcu and if anybody wanted to talk about the mcu becoming more diverse.
All related stuff,movies,tv,commercials etc..
I know this forum is more focus on marvel movies,but some of the characters from the movies have crossover on tv and those that originally are on tv may show up in the movies.

In fact this stuff is more related to this thread then some of the stuff i was posting in the race and gender thread on average.So i don't get your complaint.

There was another thread that i was posting that was more related to stuff i was posting then the race and gender thread.

That was the thread you were talking about the spamming (i was not spamming there either),not the race and gender thread.
We had our big debate there.How easy for you to forget that.

I posted a number of stuff that deals only with the movies overtime here.A few posts here and there related to the mcu from the tv side is not hurting anybody or derailing anything.

This is a marvel movie section forum,but i see some marvel movie tv talk threads here as well.
Are those threads derailing the marvel movie section as well?
I guess not.
So clearly this section is not extremely strictly marvel movie talk only.
You see one or two posts and if you don't care for the info,move on.
Simple.
Why folks like you make it so difficult?
Yeah move on.
I still will focus on the movie side here as much as i can,so don't worry your little head off.

Last edited:
What we need to have right here is for people to chill and stop trying to dictate who posts what, if a post doesn't engage your specific interest in this fairly wide ranging topic, then ignore it rather than trying to play content overlord.

I liked the article. Glad AoS is getting some love. Too many people hating on it for no reason.

I suppose this could apply to DC Comics, Image, Vertigo, and other live-action adaptations, but since this is a Marvel post...

Given how long the MCU has been around at the moment and how often these characters pop up, are there any actors in the MCU that you now mostly- but not only- associate with the characters they play? In the same way that many saw and still see Christopher Reeve as Superman, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, so on and so forth.

Like for example, even though he's done a lot in film, I mostly associate Robert Downey Jr. with Tony Stark. But on the flip side, while I like Mark Ruffalo (and still liked Edward Norton) as Bruce Banner, I still know him more from his roles in smaller, indie films like Infinitely Polar Bear, Begin Again, or Spotlight.

I suppose this could apply to DC Comics, Image, Vertigo, and other live-action adaptations, but since this is a Marvel post...

Given how long the MCU has been around at the moment and how often these characters pop up, are there any actors in the MCU that you now mostly- but not only- associate with the characters they play? In the same way that many saw and still see Christopher Reeve as Superman, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, so on and so forth.

Like for example, even though he's done a lot in film, I mostly associate Robert Downey Jr. with Tony Stark. But on the flip side, while I like Mark Ruffalo (and still liked Edward Norton) as Bruce Banner, I still know him more from his roles in smaller, indie films like Infinitely Polar Bear, Begin Again, or Spotlight.

In the MCU RDJ for sure. Although in all of Marvel it would have to be J.K. Simmons

Right. JK Simmons. How'd I forget about that one?

But yeah, that's definitely up there as well and makes me wonder who Sony and Marvel will get to play him in these new Spider-Man films. Assuming he appears since, hey, we only got messages from him in the Amazing films.

Evans is Cap to me, honestly. When I saw Snowpiercer, it was Captain America as Train Rebel Guy. RDJ is the worst though, even in interviews it's like, obviously Tony Stark there, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"