MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan Moore's CB run in the 80's absolutely blew my mind and made CB my favourite Marvel character. To this day whenever I re-read the TPB I’m struck by how easy it would be to adapt due to the way its written - flashbacks to his origin, Jaspers Warp, his death at the hands of the Fury and subsequent resurrection, the Crazy Gang, Slaymaster, Vixen, Gatecrasher's Technet, Sat-Yr-9, Kaptain Briton, R.C.X. (S.T.R.I.K.E.), the introduction of Meggan, warpies, Betsy as Captain Britain etc.

'Dipped in magic. Clothed in science'.

Now there's an awesome tagline.

Rupert Penry Jones was born to play him too.
Hmm, never read that and actually never even knew Alan Moore worked on the title. Will add to the list.

Yeah, I'd love a Captain Britain TV show. I'm hoping for a collaboration with a British network (such as ITV or maybe even BBC) as a sort of Marvel meets Doctor Who type show that can then air on BBC America. But I doubt it's more than a sales pitch at this point.

I hope it would not be with itv. Itv's genre shows have been poor in recent years. The bbc is having big budget cuts lately as well. The bbc has been selling the rights to some of their shows. I think the bbc could make a good union jack or shang chi show as they would not require a lot of special effects money to make.

A sky or channel 4 co-production with marvel would be ideal for captain Britain. Rupert penny jones has long been my number one pick for Brian Braddock.

Never read any Captain Britain but hearing that Alan Moore had a good run on the character has certainly peaked my interest.

I would rather they keep it on Netflix, but they could still involve BBC.

I don't know anything about Captain Britain, but I would want it to be lighter than the other Netflix shows.

Netflix doesn't do light. They have a very specific tone. They are also very booked up and likely could only do a season every three years. I understand your thought process, but there's a reason Marvel is branching out to Hulu, etc.

I hope it would not be with itv. Itv's genre shows have been poor in recent years. The bbc is having big budget cuts lately as well. The bbc has been selling the rights to some of their shows. I think the bbc could make a good union jack or shang chi show as they would not require a lot of special effects money to make.

A sky or channel 4 co-production with marvel would be ideal for captain Britain. Rupert penny jones has long been my number one pick for Brian Braddock.

I think I suggested ITV because they did Broadchurch, which continued to BBC America. Channel 4 would be fine to my knowledge (it's been a long time since I've visited the UK, so my memory is a bit hazy). One would hope BBC could possibly co-finance it with BBC America, but I know money will always be an issue. I think the show could succeed with a CW-type budget (given the quality of their superhero shows). The dimension-hopping stuff would also save a lot of money and could reuse the same sets and actors.

Netflix doesn't do light.

Well, they do, but not for Marvel so far, and I don't imagine they would add more Marvel shows that aren't a part of their gritty Defenders sub-universe. Since Netflix works on a subscription model, adding more Marvel shows gives them diminishing returns on attracting subscribers when they could be branching out into other types of shows with different fanbases.

Netflix doesn't do light. They have a very specific tone. They are also very booked up and likely could only do a season every three years. I understand your thought process, but there's a reason Marvel is branching out to Hulu, etc.

I think I suggested ITV because they did Broadchurch, which continued to BBC America. Channel 4 would be fine to my knowledge (it's been a long time since I've visited the UK, so my memory is a bit hazy). One would hope BBC could possibly co-finance it with BBC America, but I know money will always be an issue. I think the show could succeed with a CW-type budget (given the quality of their superhero shows). The dimension-hopping stuff would also save a lot of money and could reuse the same sets and actors.

Channel 4 is known for making slightly more edgier shows than the BBC.

AMC owns half of BBC America.

Sky is the only UK network that can probably match U.S networks. Sky makes Stan Lee's Lucky Man TV show as well.

If Netflix did a Captain Britain show, it could theoretically just be it's own thing and not tie into the Defenders storyline. Or it could be the bridge between the dark/gritty Defenders and the MCU films: make him the one character that will appear in the established Netflix side of the MCU but also show up in some of the films.

I'm not sure Netflix is that interested in doing another Marvel show. Netflix already has the Punisher and Defenders characters shows.

I'd like Captain Britain in his original full-masked red lionheart original uniform to start with. If they could work Black Knight in there and have the early stories set in another century, it could appeal to fans of period dramas and Game of Thrones. If they have him killed by the White Rider as in the original stories, then after he is brought back to life he can then have his more familiar Union Jack-themed costume with the cowl.

I'm not sure Netflix is that interested in doing another Marvel show. Netflix already has the Punisher and Defenders characters shows.

I doubt that. Have you browsed the selection of Netflix originals? They make so much content it blows my mind. The Marvel shows have been very successful for them, if there's a demand they can expand the line-up. And still have plenty of other material churned out on a regular basis.

They've made it clear both in their statements about what they want to do for the Netflix shows (including tone) and in the fact that they passed on the Runaways series in favor of Hulu.

Netflix passed on Agent carter as well.

Hulu, Amazon and Crackle also produce original content and could partner up to make shows with Marvel.

Ah, I was unaware of that bit of history. Don't subscribe to the other services at the moment. In any case it is really something to see this many Marvel properties spread across all these different outlets.

I'm barely catching up on the Netflix shows. I skipped Jessica Jones, the missus wasn't into the first episode, so we started DDs2. Any particular reason, besides possible minor easter eggs, to watch all the Netflix material in release order?

Last edited:
I would want any future shows to pretend to be in at least the same Netflix universe. Might be difficult if someone else is making them but I hope that can still happen.

I doubt that. Have you browsed the selection of Netflix originals? They make so much content it blows my mind. The Marvel shows have been very successful for them, if there's a demand they can expand the line-up. And still have plenty of other material churned out on a regular basis.
Well it comes down to how many Superhero shows does netflix want to produce. Like you said they have a large varied shows they don't want to dedicate so much of their production budget to just superhero shows. They want as much variety as they can get in order to get as many people subscribing as possible. So I wouldn't expect them to make that many more superhero shows per year. I can see them going to three a year but not much more.

Hulu, Amazon and Crackle also produce original content and could partner up to make shows with Marvel.
If I recall there's some contractual stuff that made it so only ABC can continue the series, so it wasn't even an option for netflix.

Ah, I was unaware of that bit of history. Don't subscribe to the other services at the moment. In any case it is really something to see this many Marvel properties spread across all these different outlets.

I'm barely catching up on the Netflix shows. I skipped Jessica Jones, the missus wasn't into the first episode, so we started DDs2. Any particular reason, besides possible minor easter eggs, to watch all the Netflix material in release order?
No, each series pretty much stands on their own. Their are side character and small plot points. For example a main character shows up in DDs2 from Jessica Jones for one scene but the context of the scene will still make sense even if you hadn't seen JJ. Despite being a supporting character in JJ there's few small references to it and a plot device carried over into Luke Cage, but you won't get confused. As long as you remember the timeline: DDs1 - JJ -DDs2 - LC - IF - Defenders, you can watch them out of order.

I would want any future shows to pretend to be in at least the same Netflix universe. Might be difficult if someone else is making them but I hope that can still happen.

That's what I like about the MCU, is that we get to explore more of the world by going into different corners and pockets of the universe. I think people take the "it's all connected" to mean it's all on narrative when really it's just parallel stories. Plus I feel shows work better when they can stand on their own. However I suspect that Runaways and defenders will have zero overt references to each other. Since Hulu and Netflix are direct competitors, I doubt either would want to promote the other's series.

If I recall there's some contractual stuff that made it so only ABC can continue the series, so it wasn't even an option for netflix.

If that were the case, Netflix would have said that. Instead, they said they passed on it.

Distribution deals was part of it.

We asked Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos what about the series did not work for his company.

“We’re looking for truly original brands to own,” he says, “and in that Marvel space we already have [original comic book shows] – so that was mostly why.”

Netflix also tries to own and distribute its titles worldwide, releasing seasons globally and simultaneously, and the structure of Marvel’s existing international deals for Agent Carter made that tricky. “They also have some output deal complexities,” he adds. “So when you pick it up, being able to pick it up globally is difficult even after it’s canceled. Some of those output partners still had it on the air, so they would argue its covered by their output [deals]. Unfortunately, it was a business decision more than a creative one.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/27/netflix-agent-carter

Netflix isn't going to make any show. The Defenders characters and The Punisher work in the shared universe they have created. I assume any other characters they may adapt would have to hit into that universe.

I think Hulu is doing the Runaways with Marvel.

Do you think Marvel has the plan for 4 movies in a year? It seems so for me:

2018: FEB, MAY, JUL
2019: MAR, MAY, JUN

Looks there is a lot of space in fall/winter.

Fall-winter belongs to Star Wars.

Where do you get fall from? The Star Wars movies have been coming out in December. As evident by Doctor Strange, there's room for both. Hell, the Han Solo movie is slated to come out in May, just a few weeks after Infinity War.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"