MCU X-Men - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The school has acted like a real boarding school for almost 20 years now and has created some great characters along the way. It would be a shame if the MCU didnt get us there at least eventually.

That interpretation of the school was only added in recent years. We don't know if Marvel will want to start with that. I mean, they might want to go back to a handful of mutants at the X-Mansion to differentiate themselves from Fox (not that they eventually they won't do an actual school).
Not likely bc it makes less sense to have a school for mutant children with only a handful of mutants than it does to have a majority white team

"I want less social commentary in this adaptation of a social commentary"

Okie

Singer approached racism and homophobia with no queer characters and only token people of colour. That's really not good enough.
The reason why I fell in love with the X-Men in the first place is BECAUSE of the fact that I related to the struggle of mutants and the themes of racial discrimination. But I also fell in love with the characters and the stories and the awesome costumes and crazy technology. The MCU should focus more on that instead of dialing up what Singer already did, to 11. And changing my favorite characters who basically lead the franchise for decades (especially Scott who was never done right by Singer and Kinberg) would be too much for me.

Not likely bc it makes less sense to have a school for mutant children with only a handful of mutants than it does to have a majority white team

Not if mutants and the school in general are relatively new. It could start out as a dorm for high school/college students like in Ultimate and Evolution.

I agree there needs to be a happy medium between every white person being received changed to there being absolutely no social commentary at all and leave that only to the likes of Black Panther.

The school has acted like a real boarding school for almost 20 years now and has created some great characters along the way. It would be a shame if the MCU didnt get us there at least eventually.

I think they'll start building to that slowly over a number of films.

The reason why I fell in love with the X-Men in the first place is BECAUSE of the fact that I related to the struggle of mutants and the themes of racial discrimination. But I also fell in love with the characters and the stories and the awesome costumes and crazy technology. The MCU should focus more on that instead of dialing up what Singer already did, to 11. And changing my favorite characters who basically lead the franchise for decades (especially Scott who was never done right by Singer and Kinberg) would be too much for me.

Ironically, I have a hunch Scott will play a big leading role in DP. It only took 19 years. ;)

Anyway, I strongly disagree with just focusing on the costumes and crazy technology. I think you are right that is what Disney will do. It first is what fans want and separates itself from Fox, but also it just makes it fit like a glove with the Avengers aesthetic. But if they completely remove the political subtext, then it is just another Avengers movie with different characters.

Yeah, Cyclops might be racebent, or he might be reduced in importance or removed entirely. Like some other characters, he's been in a number of movies now, and personality/character-wise he doesn't have a big hook. If he doesn't become the black/Asian/Latino character, they might apply the "we made Guardians of the Galaxy a hit" mindset and decide they can do just fine without him. And if he goes, maybe Jean goes, too.

I agree. Feige could go a different direction and introduce the Giant Size X-Men line up instead of the Original members.

Out of all the members, Cyclops will be the easiest to race swap mainly because he has been so underused in the Fox Universe that I don't think the general audience will care if he was played by a Black or Latino actor. It will probably make him more interesting by adding another layer to his character.

I agree. Feige could go a different direction and introduce the Giant Size X-Men line up instead of the Original members.

Out of all the members, Cyclops will be the easiest to race swap mainly because he has been so underused in the Fox Universe that I don't think the general audience will care if he was played by a Black or Latino actor. It will probably make him more interesting by adding another layer to his character.
That's all the more reason to NOT change Scott. He needs to be done right and done faithfully. Singer barely scratched the surface with him, Scott was a background character in the original trilogy and in Apocalypse as well

Singer did the bare minimum. His movies are at like 4. Making actual minorities the centre of stories about being a minority is not going too far like you are implying.

Just to throw it out there, I believe that the whole idea of Xavier's Mansion being a real school and campus with hundreds of students came from X-Men (2000), specifically. It just seems like so much common sense everyone has done it that way ever since. I suspect the MCU will keep that approach, because it makes it seem more "grounded." But then again, maybe not. The MCU is more focused on the heroes, if you know what I mean, so getting away from the school aspect and making it more like a mutant counter to Avengers could help with the cross-pollination thing.

In my mind, this is exactly why I think they WILL focus on the school. They know they have to keep their franchises unique in order to maintain longevity as a brand, so they won't want X-Men to be "just another superhero team". And the school itself has never really been explored by the Fox-Verse before.

Yes I hope there is quite a clear distinction between X-Men and the likes of the Avengers.

Singer did the bare minimum. His movies are at like 4. Making actual minorities the centre of stories about being a minority is not going too far like you are implying.
Scott and Jean being mutants make them minorities already. But Scott is physically disabled and Jean is a woman and already part of a marginalised group. Again, there are more forms of oppresion than just racism

Singer based both movies around the themes. X1 dealt with the mutant registration act, casual mutantphohia and Magneto trying to turn everyone into a mutant. X2 had mutants being tortured, killed and experimented on by Styker and Congress deciding whether to reintroduce the registration act. DOFP was a movie that had mutants driven to near extinction. Magneto always gives a speech in his movies about mutant hatred, oppresion etc All of his films had a dark, somber tone. I'd say he leaned into it pretty heavily. Marvel would be doing the same thing except race swapping everyone

Last edited:
In my mind, this is exactly why I think they WILL focus on the school. They know they have to keep their franchises unique in order to maintain longevity as a brand, so they won't want X-Men to be "just another superhero team". And the school itself has never really been explored by the Fox-Verse before.

I mean, the irony is the Fox-Verse created the school aspect, at least as we're talking about it. But yes, you could really elaborate on that. I think it was a major aspect though in X2, and to a lesser degree X1. But an entire movie told from that vantage? (And not just kind of halfway like Apocalypse)? I'd be interested.

I mean, the irony is the Fox-Verse created the school aspect, at least as we're talking about it. But yes, you could really elaborate on that. I think it was a major aspect though in X2, and to a lesser degree X1. But an entire movie told from that vantage? (And not just kind of halfway like Apocalypse)? I'd be interested.
Riot at Xavier’s could make for a good movie plot one day

That's all the more reason to NOT change Scott. He needs to be done right and done faithfully. Singer barely scratched the surface with him, Scott was a background character in the original trilogy and in Apocalypse as well

No kidding. How about, for once, having Cyclops done right? Anyone who wants him changed in any way, frankly, isn't interested in seeing Cyclops done right.

See, for me race has absolutely nothing to do with a character being done right. If you can eliminate your visual reference and have no idea what their race is, then it's not a part of their character. It's just a difference in how we view what makes a character, I guess.

I feel like to start with Xavier's school will just focus on its humble beginnings. It makes the most sense for the MCU to have a sudden explosion of mutants, with the first MCU X-men film taking place no more than a couple of years after that explosion. Ergo Xavier will only just have started seeking out students. So for now, a school of a few dozen students makes sense.

Even with the smaller school of the early films though, I'd like to see the focus be on the school. It should have a harry-potter-esque vibe, like Hogwarts with superpowers instead of magic. Like Harry, Ron and Hermione in the early HP books, our protagonists would be fighting evil behind the teacher's backs, in between classes and after curfew. It would give the films a vibe unlike anything in either the MCU or the Foxmen films.

I feel like to start with Xavier's school will just focus on its humble beginnings. It makes the most sense for the MCU to have a sudden explosion of mutants, with the first MCU X-men film taking place no more than a couple of years after that explosion. Ergo Xavier will only just have started seeking out students. So for now, a school of a few dozen students makes sense.

Even with the smaller school of the early films though, I'd like to see the focus be on the school. It should have a harry-potter-esque vibe, like Hogwarts with superpowers instead of magic. Like Harry, Ron and Hermione in the early HP books, our protagonists would be fighting evil behind the teacher's backs, in between classes and after curfew. It would give the films a vibe unlike anything in either the MCU or the Foxmen films.
That would work fine for New Mutants or other spinoff but the MCU X-men should be about adults. Im not interested in seeing teen versions of my favorites again

That would work fine for New Mutants or other spinoff but the MCU X-men should be about adults. Im not interested in seeing teen versions of my favorites again

That's why the teens will be X-Men we haven't seen before. Fiege won't want "just another superhero team" but he knows fans don't want Scott, Jean, and Storm as teens again. We can get them as adults leading the new teen stars. I think looking at what they did with Homecoming is the best predictor of what they'll do with X-Men.

We've had twenty years of X-men films focused primarily on older X-men. First Class was the only Fox-men film which actually focused on younger mutants learning about their powers, and even then Xavier and Magneto were the biggest characters, whilst most of the students where sidelined. We've never had an X-men movie from the POV of the students, learning at the academy.

Imo, the MCU X-men should (with obvious exceptions like Xavier and Wolverine) be in the 16-21 range.

We've had twenty years of X-men films focused primarily on older X-men. First Class was the only Fox-men film which actually focused on younger mutants learning about their powers, and even then Xavier and Magneto were the biggest characters, whilst most of the students where sidelined. We've never had an X-men movie from the POV of the students, learning at the academy.

Imo, the MCU X-men should (with obvious exceptions like Xavier and Wolverine) be in the 16-21 range.

We just had teen X-men n Apocalypse and we will get those same young actors trying to play older in DP. I want the core adult X-men headline a film, something that hasnt been done since X3, 12 years ago and even that wasnt done right. Keep them adults for the first outing and save the teenage stuff for a spinoff focused exclusively on the children

I agree with Protar here. Young versions of the A-list members is the way to go for the MCU. You don't start the franchise with Scott, Jean, Bobby and Hank as 30 year olds training new students. You start it off at the very beginning, when mutants start emerging in mass. @CaptainWagner, I will look to what Homecoming did. What it did was give a 15 year old Peter Parker (the youngest he has ever been in a movie) and start him off as a rookie only 8 months inti having his powers. I expect Marvel to do something similar with the X-Men. Maybe instead of 6 months, they've been a team for 2 or 3 years. They should be 17-22 year old kids.

The fact of the matter is, we've had TWO films out of 7 (counting Dark Phoenix) where the X-Men were young kids figuring out their powers. With only 1 featuring the regulars of the franchise i.e Apocalypse. And it was barely explored in the movie, it was too focused on Charles, Raven and Erik to give us any character arcs or development for Scott, Jean and Storm..(Ororo realizing that Apocalypse is bad is not a "character arc" she barely got any dialogue in the movie)

Last edited:
We just had teen X-men n Apocalypse and we will get those same young actors trying to play older in DP. I want the core adult X-men headline a film, something that hasnt been done since X3, 12 years ago and even that wasnt done right. Keep them adults for the first outing and save the teenage stuff for a spinoff focused exclusively on the children

a.) Apocalypse didn't focus on the school at all. It was a disaster movie first and foremost. I want to actually see teen/young adult X-men learning at the academy, and having the film take place from their POV (rather than Xavier being the POV).

b.) an adult x-men team doesn't work in the MCU. Not to begin with. I see it suggested a lot that the MCU X-men should be a pre-established, adult team who have been operating a while, but if such a team was operating in the MCU right now, the Avengers would have heard of them. You can have rare, older x-men like Xavier, but, for the most part, the MCUtants should be teenagers whose powers have just activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"