Memo to parents: Stop pimping out your kids for Youtube hits.

Gotham Knight

Watchful Protector
Reaction score
It's disturbing how many parents will put their kids out there. I saw a new video of this little child in front of glass at a zoo with a tiger on the other side. It was clawing and basically trying to chow down so to speak. It's ridiculous really.

And I mean, there are tons of these videos up on Youtube. It's not cute. And one of these days, that glass is going to break. Yeah, it's so adorable now(well in most peoples opinions). But guess what? We're going to have a horror story on our hands one of these days. And it's all for a few million hits and attention. This is only one example of this, but it's one of the worst.

/rant

:down

The glass is probably a bit tougher than the stuff in normal windows. I'm guessing most enclosures have inch thick windows, if not thicker.

It's disturbing how many parents will put their kids out there. I saw a new video of this little child in front of glass at a zoo with a tiger on the other side. It was clawing and basically trying to chow down so to speak. It's ridiculous really.

And I mean, there are tons of these videos up on Youtube. It's not cute. And one of these days, that glass is going to break. Yeah, it's so adorable now(well in most peoples opinions). But guess what? We're going to have a horror story on our hands one of these days. And it's all for a few million hits and attention. This is only one example of this, but it's one of the worst.

/rant

You really think this kind of stuff just started happening when our phones started having cameras on them? I'm sure kids have been doing this since zoos came into existence, it's not some new trend. That glass is more than likely bullet proof.

A good rule of thumb is if you don't want degenerate hives of scum and villany meme-ifying your kids, don't put vids/pics of them on the internet.

People LOVE sharing **** about their kids. In the 80s and 90s people were forced to watch "cute" videos of their friend's kids on VHS tapes. It's the samething, only now you have a larger audience. I don't think most of these people are ****ing out their kids, I just think people can't shut the **** up about them.

/rant

The glass at zoos is specifically designed for people to do that. If the glass broke, it certainly wouldn't be the fault of the parents because going to look at wild animals in a safe environment is the entire purpose of zoos.

The glass at zoos is specifically designed for people to do that. If the glass broke, it certainly wouldn't be the fault of the parents because going to look at wild animals in a safe environment is the entire purpose of zoos.
Of course. But we both agree that it's a possibility. Human error is very real. And while I don't claim to be an expert on whatever type of glass they use or the strength of it. I'd imagine it can be faulty just like every other thing on this planet.

I don't have any children. But I couldn't imagine putting them in front of an angry gorilla trying to kick their head in. Glass detaining it or not. Let alone tape it to put on Youtube.

People LOVE sharing **** about their kids. In the 80s and 90s people were forced to watch "cute" videos of their friend's kids on VHS tapes. It's the samething, only now you have a larger audience. I don't think most of these people are ****ing out their kids, I just think people can't shut the **** up about them.

Exactly this lol

Personally I can't see myself puting any videos of my child on youtube, recording for personal and family use is fine. But at the moment I just don't think I'd feel comfortable with have my children being seen by anyone worldwide.

It is a little bit ridiculous, it's the same with cats and dogs... and half of them aren't even funny or whatever any way.

Any way, If I were a parent I'd be more worried about who was watching them...

Of course. But we both agree that it's a possibility. Human error is very real. And while I don't claim to be an expert on whatever type of glass they use or the strength of it. I'd imagine it can be faulty just like every other thing on this planet.

I don't have any children. But I couldn't imagine putting them in front of an angry gorilla trying to kick their head in. Glass detaining it or not. Let alone tape it to put on Youtube.

It's a possibility, but so are car accidents and we let kids ride in cars. Hell, more children die every year in car accidents than they do at zoos due to a structural failure with the cages. The entire point of those glass cages is to allow people to get as close as possible to zoo animals while staying safe. I don't think a vague possibility of something completely failing in it's only intended function should be considered a good reason to not do something.

Last edited:
It's a possibility, but so are car accidents and we let kids ride in cars. Hell, more children die every year in car accidents than they do at zoos due to a structural failure with the cages. The entire point of those glass cages is to allow people to get as close as possible to zoo animals while staying safe. I don't think a vague possibility of something completely failing in it's only intended function should be considered a good reason to not do something.
I do get where you're coming from. But driving a car is completely a must if you have children. I'm not saying you have to live in a bubble. But to risk it on something that's not even worth it like this. And to tell you the truth, it doesn't bother me as much for a parent to do this without putting it online. But when they do upload it to a video site, it makes it seem ingenuous. Not that they want their child to experience the animal that close up, but rather to say "Hey look at little Billy! He's so adorable!"

All that being said. There should be a guideline in this situation. It's one thing to have the animal calmly right up on the glass doing it's thing. But in another video I saw, where a 300 pound or so Gorilla was repeatedly kicking the glass with it's foot, and the child's head right in front. That to me, is bad parenting. Why you'd want your child, or how you could feel good about having them in a situation like that and thinking it's cute, I just don't get. And I don't even have children and I feel they need to be more protective of them.

I do get where you're coming from. But driving a car is completely a must if you have children. I'm not saying you have to live in a bubble. But to risk it on something that's not even worth it like this. And to tell you the truth, it doesn't bother me as much for a parent to do this without putting it online. But when they do upload it to a video site, it makes it seem ingenuous. Not that they want their child to experience the animal that close up, but rather to say "Hey look at little Billy! He's so adorable!"

Why does it matter how it seems?

All that being said. There should be a guideline in this situation. It's one thing to have the animal calmly right up on the glass doing it's thing. But in another video I saw, where a 300 pound or so Gorilla was repeatedly kicking the glass with it's foot, and the child's head right in front. That to me, is bad parenting. Why you'd want your child, or how you could feel good about having them in a situation like that and thinking it's cute, I just don't get. And I don't even have children and I feel they need to be more protective of them.

They feel good about it because they understand that while it looks dangerous, it's perfectly safe. Much safer than a lot of things we do every day that seem really safe. You're not a bad parent if you remember to think logically as well as emotionally. I actually think you're a better parent if you do. I hate parents who only go by how they feel and forbid their children to do something that's completely safe simply because it makes them uncomfortable.

I'm not really sure I understand your first question(no pun intended). I think I explained it pretty clearly. Although to be fair, I doubt at that age a child will even remember or be able to appreciate something like that.

As for your second. I think that's pretty much the problem with all the bad parenting of today. People just don't care. "Hey, let my child go to the toy section alone. I'm not going to be overprotective!" Better safe than having a nightmare story.

And I'm sorry, but it's just silly that you're trying to compare a car accident to this. We have to drive. If we don't drive our children, then we have to walk them. And we all know that nowadays that's dangerous. And if we don't walk them, they'll stay inside the house 24/7. But hey, what if an airplane or a helicopter crashes into our house? I guess we'll just have to start keeping our children in underground bomb shelters.

The fact of the matter, is that the concept and the idea of it being cute that an animal is trying to shatter the glass in front of them to brutally maim your child is cute to a parent. That's wrong. And that does make you a pretty sick individual if not a bad parent.

If an animal is attacking the glass, you don't stand in front of it. It's foolish, and it's a bad horror story just waiting to happen. Period. End of story.

Kids love the zoo, to not take them to the zoo for fear that the safety glass might break, in my mind, would be bad parenting. It's not only fun, but educational to see the other animals that live on the planet. Sure some might get unruly sometimes they are wild animals, but that's why zoos are built with the safety of their guests in mind. Also, having a car is not a requirement for having a child, I'm sure there are people in large cities with children, but not cars.

Kids love the zoo, to not take them to the zoo for fear that the safety glass might break, in my mind, would be bad parenting. It's not only fun, but educational to see the other animals that live on the planet. Sure some might get unruly sometimes they are wild animals, but that's why zoos are built with the safety of their guests in mind. Also, having a car is not a requirement for having a child, I'm sure there are people in large cities with children, but not cars.
I didn't suggest that going to the zoo with children makes you a bad parent or that it's highly dangerous.

As far as a car goes. Yes it is basically a requirement with a child. I'm a grown man and it's hard enough for me to get around on foot and take care of daily routines. If you have no vehicle, you shouldn't be making babies to begin with. That's incredibly selfish and unfair to the child.

I would agree.

I wouldn't say that the parents putting their kids in front of the glass and taunting the lion is "bad parenting", persay, but I feel a lot of bad juju from doing something like that. It just seems like a bad idea to willfully taunt a hungry lion with your baby and sit there and video tape it while laughing about it.

[YT]vtsb58tKEhM[/YT]

To all the people telling me I'm overreacting. Maybe 99/100 times I am. But it's possible. And all I'm saying is you don't risk a child's life over a Youtube video or just to get a good laugh(which I still can't find any humor in any of these videos).

When they're 18 though, they're more than welcomed to sit in front of the animals faces and taunt them. But you should protect your children from any unnecessary danger. This being a perfect example.

I'm not really sure I understand your first question(no pun intended). I think I explained it pretty clearly. Although to be fair, I doubt at that age a child will even remember or be able to appreciate something like that.

You said it seems like they're being ingenuous. Why does it matter that it seems that way?

As for your second. I think that's pretty much the problem with all the bad parenting of today. People just don't care. "Hey, let my child go to the toy section alone. I'm not going to be overprotective!" Better safe than having a nightmare story.

I completely disagree. The likelihood of a nightmare story is so incredibly small that this really is being overprotective. We do so many things every day, with our kids, that are significantly more dangerous. It just doesn't bother us because they seem less dangerous. But they're not. Not even close.

And I'm sorry, but it's just silly that you're trying to compare a car accident to this. We have to drive. If we don't drive our children, then we have to walk them. And we all know that nowadays that's dangerous. And if we don't walk them, they'll stay inside the house 24/7. But hey, what if an airplane or a helicopter crashes into our house? I guess we'll just have to start keeping our children in underground bomb shelters.

1: It's not silly at all.

a) The point is that there are tons of things we do every day that are much more dangerous than this by a significantly wide margin that we don't bat an eyelash at.

b) Do we need to drive? I mean, I suppose it depends on the circumstances of your life, where you live and all, but not everyone needs to drive. How is walking your children where they need to go "dangerous." Especially "nowadays" as opposed to any other point in history?

2: That's exactly my point. That line of paranoid reasoning is completely ridiculous. I'm not trying to say we shouldn't allow our kids to be in cars. I'm saying that if we allow our kids to be in cars, something that is proven to be many times more dangerous then standing near the glass at a zoo, then there's no reason why we should feel obligated to avoid doing the latter.

The fact of the matter, is that the concept and the idea of it being cute that an animal is trying to shatter the glass in front of them to brutally maim your child is cute to a parent. That's wrong. And that does make you a pretty sick individual if not a bad parent.

Why? It's a funny contrast. It's a pretty big assumption to jump to the idea that they think it's funny that their kid might get eaten and that it wouldn't bother them. That's assuming a hell of a whole lot about another person's motivation.

If an animal is attacking the glass, you don't stand in front of it. It's foolish, and it's a bad horror story just waiting to happen. Period. End of story.

No. Not end of story. Because the glass won't break. It's specifically designed not to break. That's why it's there. So you can get that close to the animals without getting hurt. It's not foolish, it's having a reasonable understanding of what is and isn't dangerous.

Yes, there is a very slim possibility that the glass might break. But it's much slimmer than getting into a car, which we do anyway. And again, I'm not anti-car. I'm just saying that if you're okay with one you should be okay with the other.

[YT]vtsb58tKEhM[/YT]

To all the people telling me I'm overreacting. Maybe 99/100 times I am. But it's possible. And all I'm saying is you don't risk a child's life over a Youtube video or just to get a good laugh(which I still can't find any humor in any of these videos).

No one ever denied that it was possible. But it's still less likely than a lot of dangers we face head on. So why is it somehow more of a risk?

Eating. Drinking water. Driving a vehicle. Basic necessities of life. The latter being to a less degree obviously.

Putting a baby that has no idea the seriousness of the situation in front of a ticking time bomb for **** and giggles? Sorry, it doesn't fit that category.

You're really missing my point. It's not about which is more likely to happen.

You don't risk potential danger when you get nothing out of it. You don't live life to put your child in bad spots to amuse yourself. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that.

Because it's not dangerous. It's not a ticking time bomb. The potential danger is so small and so remote that it doesn't count as being dangerous. It just looks dangerous.

Listen, driving you kid to an amusement park, something that is very clearly not essential to live your life, is more dangerous. Taking a child on a plane to go on vacation, also not necessary to life your life, is both less dangerous than driving a car and more dangerous than going to the zoo. Driving too the zoo, again, not something that's specifically necessary to live your life, was more dangerous than putting the child in front of the glass.

Because it's not dangerous. It's not a ticking time bomb. The potential danger is so small and so remote that it doesn't count as being dangerous. It just looks dangerous.

Listen, driving you kid to an amusement park, something that is very clearly not essential to live your life, is more dangerous. Taking a child on a plane to go on vacation, also not necessary to life your life, is both less dangerous than driving a car and more dangerous than going to the zoo. Driving too the zoo, again, not something that's specifically necessary to live your life, was more dangerous than putting the child in front of the glass.
But they are necessary to live your life. So is going to the zoo. Activities like that are "living life". I'm not disputing that at all. I went to the zoo as a child and I have great memories from it. You live life through experiences like that.

But they are necessary to live your life. So is going to the zoo. Activities like that are "living life". I'm not disputing that at all. I went to the zoo as a child and I have great memories from it. You live life through experiences like that.

It sounds like you're definition of "necessary" is "anything that isn't this one thing that scares me."

I mean, by that line of logic I could argue that getting really close to the glass cage at a zoo while an animal is behaving aggressively is necessary, because it's an experience that will shape your life.

It sounds like you're definition of "necessary" is "anything that isn't this one thing that scares me."

I mean, by that line of logic I could argue that getting really close to the glass cage at a zoo while an animal is behaving aggressively is necessary, because it's an experience that will shape your life.
I'm not afraid of being in a situation like that. If my child were, I'd hope I would be.

And please, you're better than the route you're taking. By your logic, I could make an asinine claim myself. I could claim that spending 10 years in prison could be necessary because it's also an experience will shape your life. Although in all honesty, your extreme claim doesn't really work anyway as there's no benefit you could get out of it. Especially not at 4 or 5 years old not knowing any better. The only way it could shape you is if the animal broke out and severely injured you... Oh... Right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"