Netflix's The Witcher - General Discussion Thread

imagine calling cavill a grifter of fandoms when JJ Abrams walks this earth
Going to need an explanation here, because JJ's deal isn't putting out thirst videos talking about his Witcher and Warhammer knowledge, like that gives him cred.

If he cared about the Witcher in the manner he's suggested, there is no way he'd be doing this.

Netflix works differently than most other networks/outlets. A viewership drop is expected in most places, before viewership hits a plateau, and that’s where your steady, loyal viewers keep you afloat. For broadcast networks, if you have a solid enough loyal viewership that advertisers can depend on to show up, you’re good. For Netflix however, they are notorious for cancelling shows once they stop bringing in new subscribers. Which is why there are barely any Netflix shows that get to finish their planned runs. Season 2 is usually their shows’ breakout season - where they peak. Because enough viewers caught up on S1 that they built up quite a buzz for the return season. Then the shows kinda level out and start losing viewers from season to season and face cancellation. That was not the case for the Witcher. The buzz from S1 simply did not give them that usual sophomore season boost, which puts them in that usual cancellation danger a little earlier than their other hit shows.
Thanks for that. I don’t really like how it works at Netflix then. If you get invested in a given show, the likelihood is it won’t last long.

Netflix works differently than most other networks/outlets. A viewership drop is expected in most places, before viewership hits a plateau, and that’s where your steady, loyal viewers keep you afloat. For broadcast networks, if you have a solid enough loyal viewership that advertisers can depend on to show up, you’re good. For Netflix however, they are notorious for cancelling shows once they stop bringing in new subscribers. Which is why there are barely any Netflix shows that get to finish their planned runs. Season 2 is usually their shows’ breakout season - where they peak. Because enough viewers caught up on S1 that they built up quite a buzz for the return season. Then the shows kinda level out and start losing viewers from season to season and face cancellation. That was not the case for the Witcher. The buzz from S1 simply did not give them that usual sophomore season boost, which puts them in that usual cancellation danger a little earlier than their other hit shows.
yep-star-wars.gif

That the Witcher is also a pretty expensive show to produce compared to all that crap Ryan Murphy true crime that does numbers, does not help it.

Well this news absolutely sucks
Just like the show! :rimshot:

Okay, joking aside, while I've kind of hated this show, the interactions between Cavill and his three major companions, who he had legit chemistry with, was what kept me going though the first 16 meh episodes. Losing that is a true death knell to this whole endeavor imo.

Oh right, well that’s terrible. :csad:

The IP is kind of messy with the author being an ass about the games and now the show creators not respecting the source material. LotR rights are also messy. Come on fantasy IPs, get your act together.
This seems to be typical of Hollywood adapting popular nerd IPs. They don't really care about the source material and just hope they bring in casuals for viewers. Honest Movie Trailers said it best when they was making fun of the Halo series (which admittedly I didn't watch, and probably won't lol). Hollywood is gonna Hollywood.

Going to need an explanation here, because JJ's deal isn't putting out thirst videos talking about his Witcher and Warhammer knowledge, like that gives him cred.

If he cared about the Witcher in the manner he's suggested, there is no way he'd be doing this.
Sir explain to me what you want Cavill to do? Stay on a project he clearly don't like and apparently have no say so over anything, on top of writers apparently hating the source material??

Just like the show! :rimshot:

Okay, joking aside, while I've kind of hated this show, the interactions between Cavill and his three major companions, who he had legit chemistry with, was what kept me going though the first 16 meh episodes. Losing that is a true death knell to this whole endeavor imo.

I have enjoyed the show so far personally. And Cavill has been a big part of that. I just don’t see Hemsworth being a good replacement either.

Sir explain to me what you want Cavill to do? Stay on a project he clearly don't like and apparently have no say so over anything, on top of writers apparentlyhatingthe source material??
I don't want him to do anything. If he retired tomorrow I'd be very happy. But he's the guy who's entire gig is acting like he is just the biggest fanboy with the biggest muscles, when all the Witcher ever was to him was an attempt to get back to Superman, because he don't care about it.

I don't want him to do anything. If he retired tomorrow I'd be very happy. But he's the guy who's entire gig is acting like he is just the biggest fanboy with the biggest muscles, when all the Witcher ever was to him was an attempt to get back to Superman, because he don't care about it.
He cared enough to want the show to be faithful to the source material.

Sir explain to me what you want Cavill to do? Stay on a project he clearly don't like and apparently have no say so over anything, on top of writers apparently hating the source material??
I am not familiar with the source material but could you please tell me what has been changed and altered? I am very curious.

Thank you.

And you know this how? Because he said so? He's a grifter. He says what he needs to get on the good side of fans. It's why his views on Superman are so malleable or why Mr. Likes them Young, talked up his distress for the #MeToo movement.

I figured it was a matter of time something would happen with The Witcher due to how popular The Witcher 3 was and there was a whole series of books to adapt.

I mean no this isn't the disaster Resident Evil or Cowboy Bebop was, but I'm disappointed nonetheless.

I mean the good news is that the books are still great and there's always a chance they could be revisited. Also, The Witcher 4 is getting made, and the first game is getting remade. So like there's stuff to look forward to. I just hope the new games don't suck, lol.

I am not familiar with the source material but could you please tell me what has been changed and altered? I am very curious.

Thank you.

Some examples:

In Season 2:

* Geralt's friend Eskel never becomes a Leshen and dies
* The Deathless Mother was a newly invented character for Season 2 along with her entire subplot
* Yennefer never loses her powers and attempts to kidnap Ciri to hand her over to a demon witch to get her powers back
* There isn't an obelisk with monsters coming out of it at Kaer Morhen
* Vesemir never tries to turn Ciri into a Witcher
* Elder Blood has nothing to do with creating Witchers in the books
* Vesemir allowing prostitutes into Kaer Morhen
* Yennefer does start tutoring Ciri in magic, but she loves her like a daughter and would never attempt to betray her or use her as a bargaining chip.

In Season 1:

* When Ciri was younger, Geralt actually had an encounter with her on Brokilon Forest where they first met and showed that they were destined to be together as father and daughter.

Disappointing news for sure and despite the issues I had with Season 2 I was still very much invested in this show and most of the characters, so this Cavill news stings a bit and Liam Hemsworth isn't going to save it either.

He is easily the least talented of all the Hemsworth brothers and I'm guessing with Cavill stepping out the role and him taking over as Geralt the production values will also take a huge hit as well.

I just want more quality, big budget fantasy shows out there besides GOT and ROP, but if the overall quality is going to keep decreasing than I'll probably jump ship once Season 3 is out.

I'm guessing this is at least part of why he's leaving, he can afford to be picky with his projects, and is probably just as frustrated as many of us have been with the huge changes the show keeps making. He can make more money working on movies and won't have to deal with the Witcher writers who actively dislike the source material.

Last edited:
Surprised, yet not. I'm sure Cavill does have some genuine affection for it... but it always did feel like a consolation prize in place of Superman.

Didn't think he'd drop it SO damn quick, though.

I never read the books, so I think that allowed me to enjoy season 2 a lot. It’s just a tighter narratively than season 1 and the dialogue is better imo.

I didn’t know so much was changed from the source material though. If I was a book reader I would probably be turned off by some of that stuff too.

Never saw season 2. It was hard for me to get through season 1. I don’t think I can get into this type of show and genre. GoT was the exception.

the explanation is he cares and fought for his character/faithful adaptation vs the writers but at the end of the day isn't in charge

vs jj who cratered 2 franchises with Star in front of them, and may be involved in a superman movie which nobody really wants to see

the explanation is he cares and fought for his character/faithful adaptation vs the writers but at the end of the day isn't in charge

vs jj who cratered 2 franchises with Star in front of them, and may be involved in a superman movie which nobody really wants to see
He cratered two franchises, by making their highest grossing films... You do realize that JJ revtialized three franchises right? M:I, Star Trek, and Star Wars.

Yes, I am aware racists don't want to see a black Superman. i know how they work. Thankfully, society doesn't consist only of racists. As to making Superman movies no one wants to see, Cavill is the expert on it.

Now, explain how any of what you wrote about JJ qualifies as grifting fandoms or is comparable to to getting yourself jobs through online campaigns that include harassment?

Last edited:
One of the writers said that people from the writers room actually hated the source material. And I'm like, why did they take the job then? Lol

The books own writer doesnt like the source material very much, for him its just a Job that brings him money...so i cant blame anybody who thinks the same.
Like im a fan of the universe and all, but the Books arent that good written imo and waste a lot of potential the world has.

Anyway, Cavill leaving is unexpected, i thought for sure he would do both, Superman and Witcher.
But seems they have huge plans for Superman if he gives up this role for it.
I mean who wouldnt but after being burned before, i doubt he did this just out of Trust.
They must have things moving already in terms of Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"