Iron Man 3 Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was like watching Spider-Man 3 (the first half great, the second half horrendous) except Spider-Man 3 was better.

That's why I've held off on saying it's better. But if it's not better it's right up there in my book.

The thing that impresses me the most about the movie, is that it could have been a major letdown after Avengers.

To a lot of people it was. Hence the backlash already.

Wait till next week, when everybody has seen it already. This backlash could approach SR levels.

To a lot of people it was. Hence the backlash already.

Wait till next week, when everybody has seen it already. This backlash could approach SR levels.

For comic fans, maybe (don't think it will be that bad, but possible). But, I don't think it will be that way for the general audience. I think it will be generally well liked by the average movie goer.

Audience I watched it with seemed to enjoy it. Laughed at the right moments, etc, happy enough faces on leaving and so on, and (unusually for the theatre I go to here in the UK) quite a few stayed for the after credits bit.

If there's a General Audience backlash Stateside it'll show next weekend.

Gatsby will do all right, but it won't be number one next weekend.

One day, in the future, you will consider IM3 as what it really is, namely Marvel's Batman & Robin.

I hope Iron Man 3 doesn't get a backlash, because I honestly believe it is a MUCH better movie than the likes of Spider-Man 3 (a movie I don't hate, but acknowledge that it's severely lacking in comparison to its predecessors) and the likes of Superman Returns (a movie I have always held the utmost vitriol for).

For comic fans, maybe (don't think it will be that bad, but possible). But, I don't think it will be that way for the general audience. I think it will be generally well liked by the average movie goer.

I havent been to the theater yet but I've seen about 10 facebook and twitter posts from people I know. (non-comic readers) that loved it, no negatives. Plus I'd say just searching "Iron Man" as a trending topic on twitter yields 20-1 Love to Hate tweet ratio..
General Audience loves it, die hard comic people for the most part dislike it with some being okay with it and others on the fence.

One day, in the future, you will consider IM3 as what it really is, namely Marvel's Batman & Robin.

one day, in the future (around Cap2), you will see what Iron Man 3 really is... a small stepping stone to cross the stream that leads to Avengers 2. (and also a damn good movie on its own!)

Ha, no, no it's not. You may not have liked it, and that's fine, but it was nowhere near B&R levels...not even close.

*waiting for Kane to come in and defend B&R.
JonLuvits.gif

Agreed. The audience I saw it with loved the entire movie. Everyone laughed throughout the movie, they enjoyed the action sequences and most stayed for the end credit scene and laughed at that, too. The people I spoke to who saw the showing before mine raved about it. Even the twist that has caused so much angst among certain fans went over like gangbusters. The audience laughed themselves silly, myself included. I can't claim that everyone loved it from that small sample, but I definitely didn't sense any backlash today.

Agreed. The audience I saw it with loved the entire movie. Everyone laughed throughout the movie, they enjoyed the action sequences and most stayed for the end credit scene and laughed at that, too. The people I spoke to who saw the showing before mine raved about it. Even the twist that has caused so much angst among certain fans went over like gangbusters. The audience laughed themselves silly, myself included. I can't claim that everyone loved it from that small sample, but I definitely didn't sense any backlash today.

That was my experience at the theater as well. The audience was into the movie when it was playing. This will be enjoyed by the general public.

Nor did I.
Our theater was full; it was a 7 PM showing and largely families with kids; and everyone there was laughing out loud and enjoying themselves. I watched for a reaction on the Mandarin Twist, but it evoked nothing but laughs. Didn't see anybody gasp in shock or storm out in a huff. It was just a plot twist; the audience rolled with it and kept going.

i dont think hard core comic book fans should be lumped in the dislike category. i saw it and really enjoyed it and am a die hard comic fan.

i dont think hard core comic book fans should be lumped in the dislike category. i saw it and really enjoyed it and am a die hard comic fan.

I did as well, and I am a die hard comic fan who read lots of Iron Man growing up, and I STILL liked it. However, this is something harder for most die hard comic fans to accept than it is for the general public who don't know/care who the Mandarin is. That is more my point.

Agreed.

Honestly, I don't see it EVER getting an SR-level backlash because SR's criminal offense was boring the audience. The audience I saw IM3 with were anything but bored. Way too many laughs and crowd-pleasing action moments for it to ever get lumped in with SR.

I'd say more like Bane. [BLACKOUT]As it was a bait and switch. Real villains ended up being Killian/Talia[/BLACKOUT]

That's purely up to interpretation but I disagree. Bane was always the villain. He wasn't a hired actor or decoy.

That's purely up to interpretation but I disagree. Bane was always the villain. He wasn't a hired actor or decoy.

Yeah, I don't see why people don't use Batman Begins as the analogy instead of TDK or TDKR, which are entirely different styles of redirection. The Mandarin Twist is The R'as al-Ghul Twist all over again, plain and simple. It's not that hard to figure out. Killian = Ducard/R'as, and Trevor = Ken Watanabe/Fake R'as.

Fair enough. ;) you're obviously the bigger Bane fan so I'll leave it up to you. Point still stands though. If you're gonna compare Mandarin to any Batman villain Joker probably should be the last one...

Saw it last night with tempered expectations. The movie isn't what I was expecting, but as I laid in bed reading over others comments and reviews and wished I could talk about it with my wife (she won't see it until tomorrow) I feel it's an amazing movie. Not quite Avengers and not quite the lightning in the bottle that Iron Man 1 was, but very good. Probably tied with Cap for third favorite of the Marvel movies and somewhere between an 8.5 and 9 in my opinion.

I consider myself a die hard comic fan, but I'll admit I've only barely encountered the Mandarin. At first the twist was jarring (it was completely unexpected after all), but I still think it works.

The crowd at my theater loved it and I could pick out some of the more serious fans in the crowd laughing and having a good time with everyone else.

I did as well, and I am a die hard comic fan who read lots of Iron Man growing up, and I STILL liked it. However, this is something harder for most die hard comic fans to accept than it is for the general public who don't know/care who the Mandarin is. That is more my point.

I'm right there with you regarding the die hards accepting it. I grew up reading IM as well.
Some here have complained it mimicked BB with Ras/Ducard (probably those who hated that twist). I loved BB and the twist, of course I never got into Batman or any DC comics as a kid. Maybe that's why I like BB so much and maybe that's why I feel little letdown with the Mandarin thing.

I'm a comic fan, loved it. All of my friends adored it, and the audience I saw it with loved it. I think it's the just the die hard comic fans that hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"