Iron Man 2 OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2 continued...

I agree. I have at least two ways to assess a movie. If I like it when I am watching it, and then what happens afterwards. As I was watching it, IM2 felt dissapointing but not bad. But never again did I felt like watching it. I saw most of it yesterday on cable and it felt better than I remembered, but then again, it wasn't something that calls me to watch again.

Well yeah that another thing, the movie is very forgettable, if the 2nd half would have been as good as the first half, I dont think that would happen. But I just forget the movie as soon as I have watched it.

Yeah that depends on the individual because I've watched Iron Man 2 about 12 times and I enjoy it everytime.

I agree that it's definately not as good as Iron Man 1 but it's nowhere near the "travesty" that so many comic book fans make it out to be.

Its by no means a travesty, its not FF, X3, Elektra levels or anywere near, but its very dissapointing compared to the first.

So I recently watched Iron Man 2 because I wanted to watch all of the Avengers movies before THE Avengers movie.

I still can't see how this film gets so much hate. And I still can't see how people thought SHIELD played too much of a role. I thought it was a necessary step to take. Plus, I think the movie is a lot of fun! I enjoy the hell out of it every time I watch it. Sure, it's not as good as Iron Man 1, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

Iron Man 2 felt like a prelude to the Avengers. Too much Shield in it.

not. a bad. thing.

I mean did you see the avengers?

I mean did you see Iron Man 2? The involvement of SHIELD, Nick Fury, and Black Widow may very well have ultimately helped The Avengers' box office, but Iron Man 2 itself (and people's opinions of it) suffered for it. Instead of the 9 or 10 that it could have been, it was probably more of a 7 or 8 for me (I still enjoyed it). Even as a prelude to The Avengers, you want a movie to keep its focus on its principal characters/plotlines and strike a proper balance between the main narrative and what should be fun crossover easter eggs and cameos. I think the rest of the Phase I movies did this well.

For the next three solo sequels, we will see if MS learns from IM2's flaws and is able to strike that better balance. It'll be interesting to see how the events of The Avengers will affect that balance.

The action scenes didn't feel right in this movie - kinda slack and lacking in any real verve.

There was a ton of films that came out in Summer 2012 that absolutely crushed IM2 in quality.

Inception, Toy Story 3, Winter's Bone, Karate Kid, Cyrus, The Kids are All Right, Despicable Me, Scott Pilgrim and a ton of others that Summer were viewed as superior quality productions.

Stating that it isn't as bad as the godawful Summer starter from the previous year (Wolverine) is one thing, but no one with a shred of credibility can call it the "best film" of its respective summer.

Just saw this movie for the second time. I have to say I enjoyed it this time. I remember just saying how awful the action is and for the most part it is. Just a lot of running and flying away for the most part. I also didn't like Howard being replaced but this time around I liked Cheadle a lot. He seemed more like a soldier to me than howard. Him and Downey had decent chemistry as well. The relationship between Potts and Stark I thought was kind of meh. All she did was complain to him the whole movie. But overall I give it 3.5/5. Good movie.

Still my favorite film of 2010. Every time I see it I enjoy it more for how it tosses usual BS superhero movie conventions out the window. I wish more could do that.

8.5/10

Still my favorite film of 2010. Every time I see it I enjoy it more for how it tosses usual BS superhero movie conventions out the window. I wish more could do that.

8.5/10

Like?

Last edited:

Like the notion that in the 2nd film the hero needs to have a subplot revolving around wanting to give up the hero biz so he can be with the woman he loves. Supes2, Batman Forever, Spidey2, TDK all did that junk. I was so glad that was not in this movie.

Like the notion that in the 2nd film the hero needs to have a subplot revolving around wanting to give up the hero biz so he can be with the woman he loves. Supes2, Batman Forever, Spidey2, TDK all did that junk. I was so glad that was not in this movie.

Batman Returns was the 2nd film. Did he want to give up being Bats in that flick? Been so long I don't remember much about it (other than I really didn't like it that much).

Yes, I know BR was the 2nd film but in that case it did show up in the very next film after that. And BR had enough problems even without that idea tossed in there.

Like the notion that in the 2nd film the hero needs to have a subplot revolving around wanting to give up the hero biz so he can be with the woman he loves.

When you reveal your identity to the entire world in the first film you kind of lose that privilege.

Again, it's subverting conventions. The whole franchise is doing it.

6.7/10

Not great, definitely a far step down from the original (which I would call the only great movie from Marvel Studios so far) but not bad.

I've always felt Iron Man 2 gets a confusingly harsh rap.

For one thing, people go on an on about it having too much Avengers set up. WHAT? There are two minor scenes that are directly referencing SHIELD and the Avengers. The diner scene and the end of the film. The rest of Nick Fury's screen time is there to give exposition about Howard Stark and his history with Whiplash and his father. And Black Window contributes to the plot of the film and has a nice character moment with Tony. Hardly just them "setting up the Avengers". One of the most overblown criticisms of the recent comic book films I've ever seen.

I will agree this films narrative isn't as focused as the first, but as character study of Tony, it's JUST AS STRONG as the first. The humor is dead on, the performance are dead on and the action is better executed on all fronts (aside from the infamously short Whiplash fight in the finale) especially the end battle with the drones.

One of the most underrated superhero movies ever.

For one thing, people go on an on about it having too much Avengers set up. WHAT? There are two minor scenes that are directly referencing SHIELD and the Avengers. The diner scene and the end of the film. The rest of Nick Fury's screen time is there to give exposition about Howard Stark and his history with Whiplash and his father. And Black Window contributes to the plot of the film and has a nice character moment with Tony. Hardly just them "setting up the Avengers". One of the most overblown criticisms of the recent comic book films I've ever seen.

I will agree this films narrative isn't as focused as the first, but as character study of Tony, it's JUST AS STRONG as the first. The humor is dead on, the performance are dead on and the action is better executed on all fronts (aside from the infamously short Whiplash fight in the finale) especially the end battle with the drones.

Preach.

There's the problem. It's Whiplash's grievance, so why not have it straight from Whiplash? Sacrificing a chance to give your villain some added depth and development in the interest of expendable characters was a bad decision. Cut the fat and keep the story on Tony reconciling with his father's legacy.

Watching this film. Hard to believe after all this time and especially the number of times I've seen it, that hot smoking reporter is the one and only Olivia Munn. I would never have thought that was her at the time even though I have heard of her but didn't bother to put a face to the name. Anyway I popped my disc in...man I love this film. But not so much for IM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"