Iron Man 3 Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread! - Part 3

Iron Man - 8/10 (very good ... close to great)
Iron Man 2 - 5/10 (ugh ... had moments)
Iron Man 3 - 6/10 (funny but whatever, forgettable)

This movie was just too campy. Ever since Iron Man 2, taken to new levels by Thor and then eventually the comedy disguised as a comic book film, the Avengers ...

There is no intensity, threat or seriousness in ANY of these Marvel Films post the original IM and Incredible Hulk of 2008. Everything is laughed off with over written and contrived jokes. The guy who wrote this script didn't take the material seriously, and it shows. The original IM had reverence for the material, the comedy came organically from RDJ's Stark character and real life RDJ parallels. As it also did for maybe the first 30 minutes of IM 2. Ever since then, the character has been over written to be comedic, to the point he's actually annoying.

Too much goofy stuff going on. I actually rather liked the Mandarin twist, felt it had some nice legitimate social commentary on media created boogeymen who could ultimately be patsies. Kingsley was genuinely funny. The fire breathing, pole melting, armor destroying villains, the nonexistent villain motivations, corny performance from the antagonist, lack of inherent internal logic and physics, anyone being able to use Stark's specifically designed suits, Pepper Pots leaping in the air superhuman ninjitsu style and demolishing an IM suit and killing the villain?

Total jump the shark moment. This trilogy was pretty bad outside of the first film. The only think holding the first film back was a very stereotypical and suspect 3rd act. That 3rd act look outstanding compared to other things that happened in it's two sequels. There wasn't a solid, or legitimately threatening antagonist since Bridge's Stane character.

blah

Last edited:
edit.

Last edited:
You know there's a whole Star Trek forum section to discuss all things Star Trek.

arghhh I just wanted to have a quick reply on my inquires of others reactions to the film, didn't want to start a discussion in the IM3 boards! sorry, I'll just edit the post out yeesh.

arghhh I just wanted to have a quick reply on my inquires of others reactions to the film, didn't want to start a discussion in the IM3 boards! sorry, I'll just edit the post out yeesh.

Even if one or two people mentioned Star Trek here I don't see why you thought you'd get enough responses to warrant the question. To logically assume that the people who've seen Iron Man also saw Star Trek is kind of out there. Your post just came across to me to try and flame and pit one movie against the other.

Sorry for acting like a mini-mod but I sensed trolling and ain't nobody got time for dat.

Even if one or two people mentioned Star Trek here I don't see why you thought you'd get enough responses to warrant the question. To logically assume that the people who've seen Iron Man also saw Star Trek is kind of out there. Your post just came across to me to try and flame and pit one movie against the other.

Sorry for acting like a mini-mod but I sensed trolling and ain't nobody got time for dat.

its safe to assume that 90% of the people on these boards see almost every comic book/sci-fi inspired movie, so I'm sure plenty could have weighed in, this just wasnt the forum to bring it up in, which I did acknowledge but the point is moot now lol. I wasn't trying to spark and argument of any kind or compare the movies (they're nothing alike lol), or do any trolling I'm not that type of poster. but anyways I've moved the post, thanks for providing the link... those that wish to help or weigh in as star trek fans go comment there please. Back to the stagnant Iron man 3 talks and mind numbing arguing lol...

personally i think Marvel played it safe by downplaying Mandarin and making it a social commentary, playing on the terrorist Bogeyman idea. People said they went risky but if you think about it, Mandarin is pretty hard to pin down in a movie considering the scope of IM vs Mandarin going toe-to-toe in comics and other media. Either he would be a cheesy villain character for the early 2000s or a flat out terrorist type villain like formulaic, which I wouldn't mind. But I can sympathize with the fans regarding Kingsley's wasted potential and Mandarin vs. IM to be lacking in grandiose.

I read a article a while back saying Feige contacted, I think Abrams? on how to execute the third act. excluding the plot twist affect on the movie, what does everyone think of the third act (entire action sequence)?

i believe that abrams thing was in reference to him helping on iron man 1, not 3.

personally i think Marvel played it safe by downplaying Mandarin and making it a social commentary, playing on the terrorist Bogeyman idea. People said they went risky but if you think about it, Mandarin is pretty hard to pin down in a movie considering the scope of IM vs Mandarin going toe-to-toe in comics and other media. Either he would be a cheesy villain character for the early 2000s or a flat out terrorist type villain like formulaic, which I wouldn't mind. But I can sympathize with the fans regarding Kingsley's wasted potential and Mandarin vs. IM to be lacking in grandiose.

lol no. You can make lots of arguments against Iron Man 3 but 'playing it safe' is not one of them.

If they wanted to play it safe they would have used a carbon copy of the comics version of the Mandarin; they wouldn't have spent time thinking about a way to re-introduce them to modern times that could have been potentially controversial (and it actually was). So no, they didn't play safe here people.

lol no. You can make lots of arguments against Iron Man 3 but 'playing it safe' is not one of them.

If they wanted to play it safe they would have used a carbon copy of the comics version of the Mandarin; they wouldn't have spent time thinking about a way to re-introduce them to modern times that could have been potentially controversial (and it actually was). So no, they didn't play safe here people.

Iron Man 3 did play it safe. Had they not cared about playing it safe they would have cast a Chinese actor as The Mandarin and have it play closer to his comic counterpart. But they knew the potential damage this could do to the foreign box office so they played it safe and gave us this version of "The Mandarin" so as to not hurt or offend anyone overseas.

Loved Iron Man 1. Very disappointed by Iron Man 2 but admit it had cool moments (Monaco is just great superheroes movie magic). Expected so much more for IM3 ever since how cool was Avengers. Pure fun actions film. But IM3 is just too campy. Some times is just a bad movie. Sorry, but this is just a 6/10 movie. Had some good actions sequences, but is just plain goofy. A cracking joke every 5 minutes. I miss so much the good stuff that was Iron Man 1. In 4 movies Iron Man has two good and two bad. IM1 and Avengers were class. IM2 and IM3 were awful...

Iron Man 3 did play it safe. Had they not cared about playing it safe they would have cast a Chinese actor as The Mandarin and have it play closer to his comic counterpart. But they knew the potential damage this could do to the foreign box office so they played it safe and gave us this version of "The Mandarin" so as to not hurt or offend anyone overseas.

there's a difference between playing it safe and playing it stupid.

making a comic 1:1 mandarin on screen would have been touted as offensive/racist etc.

iron man 3 took risks, it did not play it safe. whether the risks it took paid off or backfired, however, is a matter of opinion

there's a difference between playing it safe and playing it stupid.

making a comic 1:1 mandarin on screen would have been touted as offensive/racist etc.

iron man 3 took risks, it did not play it safe. whether the risks it took paid off or backfired, however, is a matter of opinion

Exactly. Playing it safe would have been presenting your typical hero vs villain story. They instead decided to make something different and innovative, but which wasn't a sure success like the first version would have been.

Now, I'm not saying this is invariably good. Whether the risks pid off or not is, as Repulsor Blast said, a matter of opinion. You can say they made the wrong choice, but you can't say they made the safe choice.

I was anxious to see how Iron man 3 was going to be. I thought the first movie was phenomenal, but the second one was a dull disappointment.

All in all, Iron Man 3 failed for me for the same reasons IM2 did. First off, Iron Man is barely there. He appears to be quickly defeated (apparently Stark had this new suit prepared, only not for combat, WTF) and then he's off-screen for the rest of the movie until the very climax. And it's more the suit alone doing things and Tony Stark commanding it from afar. The climax was, much like IM2 one, more bombastic than good.

Plot holes are not missed either: at some point Stark saves Pepper by covering her with the Iron Man suit in less than a second. At the climax of the movie Pepper is in danger again, falling to her death and somehow Tony forgets to repeat the simple procedure. And apparently Aldrich Killian's formula transformed people instantly into expert fighters as it was Pepper Potts who ended up beating the bad guy here with some nice fighting skills, performing better than Iron Man himself... you know, the hero of this movie... sort of. As if having the superhero off the screen for 90% of the movie hadn't been enough.

That said, superheroes movies have been using and abusing humor (and any kind of humor) too much now. But to completely transform the main Iron man villain into a joke - and literally so - was way too much. Mandarin turned into a joke was the ultimate blasphemy against what is the greatest villain in the iron Man universe.

As usual, the only thing that kept everything afloat was Robert Downey Jr's performance, able not only to perform mediocre jokes nicely but also mixing comedy and drama beautifully.

2/5

I was anxious to see how Iron man 3 was going to be. I thought the first movie was phenomenal, but the second one was a dull disappointment.

All in all, Iron Man 3 failed for me for the same reasons IM2 did. First off, Iron Man is barely there. He appears to be quickly defeated (apparently Stark had this new suit prepared, only not for combat, WTF) and then he's off-screen for the rest of the movie until the very climax. And it's more the suit alone doing things and Tony Stark commanding it from afar. The climax was, much like IM2 one, more bombastic than good.

Plot holes are not missed either: at some point Stark saves Pepper by covering her with the Iron Man suit in less than a second. At the climax of the movie Pepper is in danger again, falling to her death and somehow Tony forgets to repeat the simple procedure. And apparently Aldrich Killian's formula transformed people instantly into expert fighters as it was Pepper Potts who ended up beating the bad guy here with some nice fighting skills, performing better than Iron Man himself... you know, the hero of this movie... sort of. As if having the superhero off the screen for 90% of the movie hadn't been enough.

That said, superheroes movies have been using and abusing humor (and any kind of humor) too much now. But to completely transform the main Iron man villain into a joke - and literally so - was way too much. Mandarin turned into a joke was the ultimate blasphemy against what is the greatest villain in the iron Man universe.

As usual, the only thing that kept everything afloat was Robert Downey Jr's performance, able not only to perform mediocre jokes nicely but also mixing comedy and drama beautifully.

2/5

:whatever:

It's rather that you missed plot points. It's only the Mark 42 that can respond to someone else than Tony and that doesn't arrive until after Pepper falls (and it doesn't exactly work well at that point anyway).

I don't really get why you think that Pepper doing well in a fight after she's gotten superhuman strength and speed is a plot hole either. A plot hole is when a movie contradicts itself, or does something that can't be explained. On the subject of doing well with powers quickly, did you think that it was a plot hole that Stark and Stane could use their armors well so quickly in the first Iron Man?

A face... is that some kind of opinion here? I need to know.

No, it's just that this whole argument was hashed and rehashed two weeks ago, ad nauseam. Suffice to say that those who hate the Mandarin Twist have a greatly exaggerated sense of the character's importance and impact on the actual comic-book world (hint: he was a D-level villain and a racist caricature, and his only claim to fame is being the most common of Iron Man's notoriously crappy rogues' gallery); completely overlook the fact that Aldrich Killian is the actual Mandarin, and that he is actually the best and most formidable foe Iron Man has faced onscreen so far; and the whole political and narrative theme of the movie (we create our own demons; and a hero is judged by what he does, not by who he fights) seems to have sailed way over the heads of the people whose complaints about how Mandarin was "raped" actually feeds back into the movie's theme, in a vicious circle.

Read back through the past few hundred pages and save yourself the argument(s)....this horse has already been beaten to death.

:bdh:

No, it's just that this whole argument was hashed and rehashed two weeks ago, ad nauseam. Suffice to say that those who hate the Mandarin Twist have a greatly exaggerated sense of the character's importance and impact on the actual comic-book world (hint: he was a D-level villain and a racist caricature, and his only claim to fame is being the most common of Iron Man's notoriously crappy rogues' gallery); completely overlook the fact that Aldrich Killian is the actual Mandarin, and that he is actually the best and most formidable foe Iron Man has faced onscreen so far; and the whole political and narrative theme of the movie (we create our own demons; and a hero is judged by what he does, not by who he fights) seems to have sailed way over the heads of the people whose complaints about how Mandarin was "raped" actually feeds back into the movie's theme, in a vicious circle.

Read back through the past few hundred pages and save yourself the argument(s)....this horse has already been beaten to death.

:bdh:

Oh, you mean this all have been discussed two weeks before I even registered myself in this site? Whoa, how dared I. But as long as there's a rate and review thread open, I'll assume I can come and post an opinion about it.

Mjölnir;25935779 said:
It's rather that you missed plot points. It's only the Mark 42 that can respond to someone else than Tony and that doesn't arrive until after Pepper falls (and it doesn't exactly work well at that point anyway).

If I ever get to see this movie again, I'll pay attention to that. I thought by the end Stark was controlling them all while they're flying around.

Mjölnir;25935779 said:
I don't really get why you think that Pepper doing well in a fight after she's gotten superhuman strength and speed is a plot hole either. A plot hole is when a movie contradicts itself, or does something that can't be explained. On the subject of doing well with powers quickly, did you think that it was a plot hole that Stark and Stane could use their armors well so quickly in the first Iron Man?

Well, Stark did a bit of training before doing well. Pepper passed from an executive to a martial arts expert. But more odd than that was that they decided to have Iron Man out of the movie for the most part and when they decided to bring him back for the climax, it's the love interest who did the job.

2/5

I was telling myself I wasn't going to, but now I'm going to reply to this one anyway.

You said in the post above you don't think you'll watch the movie again, but I say, you clearly didn't get most of it on your first go around, so maybe you should.

Your "plot holes" aren't. Point one has already been addressed, and point two, Pepper being a martial artist, isn't one, either. She's not making MA moves. She uses sheer physical strength. She picks up something to use as a bat, she whacks Killian with it. Anyone could do that. Then she smashes a fly-by suit with her fist - anyone with the necessary structural body resilience and strength could do that. No finesse required. Then she kicks a missile towards Killian - again, no MA move. Any kid kicking a can in the street can do it. And then she fires a repulsor. Clearly, she picked up how when she first wore the suit during the mansion attack. So much for you plot holes.

And moving from the specific to the general, it really pisses me off how people who apparently don't even plan on thinking the movie through or giving it a chance (based on bias or not) come on here using rhetoric like "blasphemy" for something that is at worst "controversial". Hyperbole much?

Rant over.

Last edited:
If I ever get to see this movie again, I'll pay attention to that. I thought by the end Stark was controlling them all while they're flying around.

Well, Stark did a bit of training before doing well. Pepper passed from an executive to a martial arts expert. But more odd than that was that they decided to have Iron Man out of the movie for the most part and when they decided to bring him back for the climax, it's the love interest who did the job.

You mean like they've done for *all* the Iron Man movies? Pepper is the one who killed Obadiah Stane; she's the one who had Justin Hammer arrested; it's only natural she should take out Aldrich Killian, too. Hell, I'm surprised she's not the one who face-planted Loki into the floor in The Avengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"