Iron Man 2 OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2 continued...

It was entertaining but nothing to write home about. Hated how nick fury is really just a comedic character that is just sam jackson w a patch.

It's Virginia "Pepper" Potts. Bill O'Reilly managed to drop in her first name in this movie.

Really? I need to watch the film again then. Didn't spot that, even with having seen it five times before.

Well, that's just because I've seen it twenty times.

I still say Don Cheadle was 100x better as Rhodey than Howard. Howard was weak sounding and didn't come off as a guy who could stand up for himself. Cheadle had a lot more command. That's one of the only areas IM2 did improve upon IM1.

The thing about that is we don't know how much of the performances attained to the motives of the characters. Rhodey was a lot more relaxed with Tony because he was imprisoned for months and thought Tony was losing his mind a little.

In IM2, there is definitely some tension between Rhodey and Tony with Rhodey being put in between a tough spot of being Tony's best friend, but not only a part of the government, but a part of the military wing that want's the Iron Man suit. So he is pissed at Tony for being in that situation, especially when things blow over after seeing Tony drunkenly misuse the Iron Man suit.

It's not even just how the character reacted to Tony, cause yes where the character was was different between IM1 to IM2. Just listen to the way Howard talks. Stark dominates him, even in scenes when Rhodey should not be taking his crap. He was far too weak. Cheadle gave the character strength, command, and a backbone. I think if he had been in IM1, Rhodey would have been a lot better than what Howard did with it.

Well, I will say that Cheadle is a better actor than Howard so that may also play into it.

I also think that is a big part of it, lol. I am not saying Howard is a bad actor, but when he and RDJ were on screen together, we clearly saw him being dominated. This didn't happen with Cheadle.

Cheadle actually played a military character. Dry and serious. Always business. Tough minded and he actually showed he had a high rank in the military. In the first one it was just hey toney toney toney. Just couldnt buy that being a military persona.

I don't blame Howard or Favs for how he did Rhodey in IM1. Howard's a good actor playing a good character which is a far cry from oh say Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes in BB(a mediocre at best actress playing a badly conceived character). The problem was that he was simply miscast from the begining. For that I blame Avi Arad who hired him. Cheadle played the part much better. The only flaw there IMO was that he doesn't physically resemble Rodey much at all(Howard had this problem as well). But that's easier to overlook since he had the character down pretty well.

Cheadle's physique was fine, especially considering Rhodey as War Machine is in a battle suit. Not wearing tight spandex or a formal costume.

Well if we're going by how Rhodey is in the comics then someone like Michael Jai White is the spitting image of him. Cheadle's kind small by comparison. Not that I think that is most important or anything. The way he acted as Rhodey was far more so. And he did fine there.

Cheadle's physique was fine, especially considering Rhodey as War Machine is in a battle suit. Not wearing tight spandex or a formal costume.

And RDJ played as Tony in the Iron Man suit, but he still looked like he had a better physique than Cheadle, imo.

To me, I think Howard is a great actor and should've stuck around for Iron Man 2. It's not his fault that what he was given in a script was "Toney, Toney". It's not like he could change it.

Well if we're going by how Rhodey is in the comics then someone like Michael Jai White is the spitting image of him. Cheadle's kind small by comparison. Not that I think that is most important or anything. The way he acted as Rhodey was far more so. And he did fine there.

Agreed.

And as much as I love MJW for Black Dynamite, his acting is still meh at best.

Your example of critique over MJW is Black Dynamite? You do know that it's pretty much a parody of sorts, right? I would much rather have brought in his direct-to-DVDs.

No, it's his acting from other projects. I just stated that I loved him in Black Dynamite. Big difference.

Sorry, but your wording in that sentence sounded like you loved him in BD, but you thought the acting was 'meh' at best in BD. Or, that's how it sounded in my mind when I read the comment.

I remember that after I watched IM2, I did feel that movie is missing something. It is like that movie isnt complete yet. Everything is just meh at best. IMO.
That movie is something you will forget easily when after you walked out the movie theater.
Unlike IM, I can remember that movie way better.

Superhero sequels being inferior to the originals is quite common actually. Supes 2, TDK, Batman Returns, HellBoy 2, Blade 2, etc. all have that in common with IM2. And the few that did improve(X2, Spidey 2) did so because the 1st was frankly easy to top, not because they themselves were stellar in any way. All IMO, of course. In fact sequels of any kind being superior to the originals is still extremely rare. I can't even think of one offhand but I'm sure they exist.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
And later when you said Aliens and Terminator 2 weren't as good as the original ones then my only reaction was :doh:
I think you're one of those people who think no sequel is ever better than the original.
I don't want to ofend you but half of those sequels were better, in least TDK, Aliens, Terminator 2, Aliens and Blade II were, the others were good sequels but not exactly better.
For Iron Man 2 i think that the quality is almost the same as in the first film, with the first one nobody was expecting anything extraordinary while with Iron Man 2 everybody was. IM 2 definitelly lost its track but the aditions of Black Widow and War Machine improved it a litle bit, the problem was, the characters and storylines improved the film for the best, but the use of all of them made the film had too many storylines and the writers weren't able to handle all of that.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
And later when you said Aliens and Terminator 2 weren't as good as the original ones then my only reaction was :doh:
I think you're one of those people who think no sequel is ever better than the original.
I don't want to ofend you but half of those sequels were better, in least TDK, Aliens, Terminator 2, Aliens and Blade II were, the others were good sequels but not exactly better.
For Iron Man 2 i think that the quality is almost the same as in the first film, with the first one nobody was expecting anything extraordinary while with Iron Man 2 everybody was. IM 2 definitelly lost its track but the aditions of Black Widow and War Machine improved it a litle bit, the problem was, the characters and storylines improved the film for the best, but the use of all of them made the film had too many storylines and the writers weren't able to handle all of that.

Well all is opinion, of course. But I've talked to loads of people who like the originals to those sequels better than the sequels themselves. Usually it comes from people who favor a better and more original story over better action/SFX. Not that I think any of those sequels suck(well, TDK does IMO but that's another ball o'wax) but that they just weren't as good or crisp as the originals. But they were worthy efforts that deserved to get made.

Everytime I see Kedrell mentioning that TDK is a crappy sequel I die a little inside. :csad::oldrazz:

Sorry but I won't drink the kool-aide and turn a blind eye to something that I'm expected to call every other movie on when they try to get away with it. I don't do double standards. I do hold out hope that the next Nolan Batman film will return to the general excellence of the first movie. In that movie the only real problem was Katie Holmes and the aweful character she played. Other than that the film was all aces.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"