Iron Man 3 Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread! - Part 3

It does grow on you. When I first saw it, I thought it was on par with IM2. But I'm also one of those people who liked IM2, so overall, I liked it. But the more I've seen it, the more I think it's better than IM2, but still not as good as IM1.

Overall, I love them all. I think it's a great trilogy.
Agreed. I was a little lukewarm after seeing IM3 initially in the theaters (still enjoyed it though) but now have a heck of a time when watching it since it's deeper than people give it credit for, advances the characters, and has some pretty entertaining action scenes.

It does grow on you. When I first saw it, I thought it was on par with IM2. But I'm also one of those people who liked IM2, so overall, I liked it. But the more I've seen it, the more I think it's better than IM2, but still not as good as IM1.

Overall, I love them all. I think it's a great trilogy.

IM2 gets a lot of unnecessary hate. At it's worst it's inoffensively forgettable; I like Tonys arc in the movie and the evolution of his relationship with Pepper. It's arguably the weakest of the marvel studios productions but it still has a lot of redeeming qualities. If it didn't, it wouldn't have garnered mostly positive reviews from everyone outside of a vocal few on the internet.
I also might be one of the few who prefer IM3 to the original. I have to give a nod to the first one for having arguably the greatest origin story for any superhero character on film, but in the third movie they stepped it up in nearly every regard. I love it.

I think it's something that comes with the film, because IM3 also grew on me after watching it a few more times.
The 'Tony Stark goes by himself' with an Iron Man-less second act is bold but also pretty entertaining thing to watch.

Interesting tidbits regarding Trevor Slattery:

http://www. c o m i c b o o k m o v i e.com/fansites/WakandanNews/news/?a=103060

Seen him claim that Cap 2 had a "mediocre box office and didn't resonate with audiences" and that x-men's box office was poor as well.
He's clearly got a chip on his shoulder about something.

He also criticizes the Iron Man franchise in the Transformer threads and claims the T&A shots in Bay's films are no worse than Marvels.

I'm starting to suspect he's a DC fanboy.

Finally got around to watching this for a second time since seeing it opening weekend. It wasn't as bad as I had initially viewed it, but was still just ok overall. I'd still rank it last of the 3 I feel.

Mandarin issue wasn't so bad second time around. I think I can live with it.

Last edited:
I really do love that this is the sixth highest grossing film of all time. I didn't realize that until not to long ago.

Saw it again recently. I thought it was fantastic when it first came out, and remains so in my opinion.

I didn't like this movie but I'm not going to pretend the GA didn't like it or thr fans for that matter.

I cosmically hate this movie, it having replaced TDK as my most despised modern big budget CBM but I don't pretend I'm not in the huge minority for both of them.

I honestly was really worried about future Marvel movies after IM3.

The last time I watched this movie was almost a year ago. Because I'm silly, I think of this as a Christmas movie (because it just is, dang it!). I plan on rewatching it this weekend.

I enjoy this movie a lot, still (well, based on the last time I saw it). I greatly enjoy all of the Iron Man movies. I also acknowledge that the first one is the best of the trilogy by far.

I guess I can say that this trilogy resembles the Back to the Future trilogy for me: The first film is a great movie, and the sequels are still really good, fun, and entertaining, but just not as good as the first.

I think IM3 is better than the first, mainly because the villain actually has a plan this time lol.

I think IM3 is better than the first, mainly because the villain actually has a plan this time lol.

Same here. The first act of Iron Man is strong. I tune out going into Act 2 and all of Act 3. Not so with this movie.

I enjoy IM1 through and through, it just really bothers me that Obi had no plans outside of taking MK1. IM2 is where I kinda lost interest from Act 2, but the drones battle is exciting to me. :o

I enjoy IM1 through and through, it just really bothers me that Obi had no plans outside of taking MK1. IM2 is where I kinda lost interest from Act 2, but the drones battle is exciting to me. :o

I was hooked throughout Iron Man 2 in my first viewing...waiting for more on Stark's father being a thief and a butcher. Seeing how Stark dealt with it and more on Whiplash. I haven't watched IM2 since.:o

IM2 is okay, but it meanders, and unfortunately, most of the exciting stuff doesn't lead up to anything incredible to Act III. I'd give it a 6.5/10, but if it weren't for Downey, Rockwell, and Cheadle...it wouldn't be even that. But I blame Marvel for that 100%.

I think if you look at any movie, and take out the three main stars, the movie "wouldn't be even that".

Iron Man 2 was disappoitning due to reckless shared universe agenda pushing studio interferance, but at least it had internal logic. The first half of it however is a legitimate spiritual successor, and quality follow up to the original. Before it spins into universe self serving obligatory nonsense.

Where credit is due though? In Favreau's Iron Man films his armor seemed plausible, and had actual weight to it. A legitimate one man F-22 fighter jet, weapons system that Stark wears. The universe Favreau created was plausible. Not reality, like Nolan's Batman, a heightened recognizable reality where a fantastical person emerges. The technology of Stark and his antagonists felt plausible. I bought it.

Then comes Iron Man 3 ...

It has some very funny moments, and some strokes of genius. Poking fun at comic book tropes, the social commentary of false flag terror attacks or terrorists themselves. Brillaint. The Mandarin is a joke of a villain, so that twist made the character actually interesting. But Trevor Slattery and EXTREMIS? Ugh. Even in a universe that has Thor, and Asgard?

Exploding people, and fire breathing? REALLY?! Total jump the shark moments. Why is this not being acknowledged?

When all of a sudden Pepper Potts is written as being able to jump 20 feet in the air, back flip, and her arm slices through an Iron Man suit. You lose any tension, or credibility. It's corny. It's stupid.

And WTF were the Iron Man suits made of in IM3? Tin foil? Was there SUCH a need for constant tension deflating humor? It's not levity when you're being bombarded with it constantly. That's annoying.

Last edited:
Eh, we have a guy who was being sustained by some kind of fancy futuristic core. Exploding peeps and firebreathing aren't a stretch of the imagination. Comic films that go in the direction of the MCU tend to lose the sort of tension you're describing. Comics are corny and stupid.

Fair point on the suits, I didn't care for them either.

Iron Man 2...at least it had internal logic. The first half of it however is a legitimate spiritual successor, and quality follow up to the original.

Exactly, except I really enjoy Iron Man 2. The final battle with Vanko could have been a bit longer. But yes, IM3 lacked internal logic here, there and everywhere.

The technology of Stark and his antagonists felt plausible. I bought it.

Then comes Iron Man 3 ...
Yep.

It's not levity when you're being bombarded with it constantly. That's annoying.
Bingo. That was a major issue that kept taking me out of the movie.

Exactly, except I really enjoy Iron Man 2. The final battle with Vanko could have been a bit longer. But yes, IM3 lacked internal logic here, there and everywhere.

Yep.

Bingo. That was a major issue that kept taking me out of the movie.

Can you be more specific? Everything made sense in the context of the script.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"