Iron Man 3 Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it. Changing the Mandarin is small potatoes to the trainwreck that was SM3. Tobey sucked in that movie. Everyone, even detractors, LOVED RDJ.

Mandarin is not the only issue with this film. The acting of the villains was a bright spot, but the utter ridiculousness of the plot. The whole extremis thing, the over the top humor, sountrack was not right, Iron Patriots (ugh) it was a poorly executed film [blackout] the stuff with Pepper Potts at the end was so bad[/blackout]. Countless things people have mentioned already

You can tell it was not true Jon Favreau film.

Also, I was here when people were praising Catwoman the movie, and X-Men Origins, SM3 (which I liked at the time, but not loved it). Its the same mentality right now.

And I dont want to hear rotten tomatoes has a high rating for this, so does Spiderman 3 and most superhero films nowadays.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, I simply am stating my opinion and based on trend this film fell short of the hype (not $$ wise) and people will come back down to earth and say. "That film was not a good conclusion to Iron Man"

Trust me, give it some time...People will be overwhelmingly negative towards this film like SM3 after a while. Right now things are always rosy and people love almost every superhero film here

I seriously doubt that

Saw it again. Just as good as the first time. Let me say it again--great action and great humor in a movie is rare. Iron Man 3 is the superhero equivalent to Beverly Hills Cop, Bad Boys, Die Hard with a Vengeance, or True Lies. I miss movies like this and that's why I love this movie so much.

Also let me say this--the political undertones of this movie are underrated. Far better than the hamfisted racial stuff in X-Men. Actually quite a bit more edgy than TDKR. It won't be credited as such but I think it is. A poor man's Dr. Strangelove in some ways. This entire franchise has used comedy to poke fun at American politics, War on Terror, military industrial complex, and foreign policy. We are still the good guys but there is plenty of subtle criticism. Not sure if alot of people caught that.

I agree 100%. This is definitely one of the more misunderstood movies.

Mandarin is not the only issue with this film. The acting of the villains was a bright spot, but the utter ridiculousness of the plot. The whole extremis thing, the over the top humor, sountrack was not right, Iron Patriots (ugh) it was a poorly executed film [blackout] the stuff with Pepper Potts at the end was so bad[/blackout]. Countless things people have mentioned already

You can tell it was not true Jon Favreau film.

Also, I was here when people were praising Catwoman the movie, and X-Men Origins, SM3 (which I liked at the time, but not loved it). Its the same mentality right now.

And I dont want to hear rotten tomatoes has a high rating for this, so does Spiderman 3 and most superhero films nowadays.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, I simply am stating my opinion and based on trend this film fell short of the hype (not $$ wise) and people will come back down to earth and say. "That film was not a good conclusion to Iron Man"

Why should people "come down to Earth" when they appreciated the movie? :whatever: I really can't stand how people are trying to make this go down the *****ter, just because they didn't enjoy it. Of course you can tell it's not a Jon Favreau movie. :whatever: It's a Shane Black movie. :cwink:

I agree 100%. This is definitely one of the more misunderstood movies.

Why should people "come down to Earth" when they appreciated the movie? :whatever: I really can't stand how people are trying to make this go down the *****ter, just because they didn't enjoy it. Of course you can tell it's not a Jon Favreau movie. :whatever: It's a Shane Black movie. :cwink:

Um and that is what I mean, Jon had 2 decent films as director on this franchise, he is a executive producer here. SO if this is a Shane Black movie, thats fine, it was terrible.

I thoroughly enjoyed Iron Man 3. It's miles better than Iron Man 2 and on par with Iron Man 1 for me. Robert Downey Jr. is fantastic as always and I can't see anyone else playing this part. I'm glad they gave Don Cheadle and Gwyneth Paltrow more to do this time around. Ben Kingsley stole the show [BLACKOUT]as The Mandarin and as Trevor the actor.[/BLACKOUT] Guy Pearce was menacing as Aldrich Killian and I was interested to learn more about the Extremis virus. The score was fantastic and the action was mind blowing. Overall, I give Iron Man 3 a 9/10. It's definitely a good start for the summer, but I can understand why a lot of people were disappointed with it. There was one thing I particularly didn't like or care for. It was the scene at the end where [BLACKOUT]Pepper Potts defeats The Mandarin/Killian instead of Tony. I thought the moment where he puts the suit on him and tells Jarvis to blow it up was perfect.[/BLACKOUT] That was kind of disappointing, but I still enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Um and that is what I mean, Jon had 2 decent films as director on this franchise, he is a executive producer here. SO if this is a Shane Black movie, thats fine, it was terrible.

I really enjoyed Jon Favreau's take on the character, even though his talent was completely wasted on Iron man 2. It's a Shane Black movie, and a great one at that. To me it was the best Marvel movie to date, closely followed by Favreau's first Iron man. Tastes, man. It was terrible to YOU!
I can see why people don't like it. It's a different kind of movie. It breaks the mold. People didn't expect that (and the hate this gets kind of proved to me that people want to see the same things, done the same way, over and over again). That's fine. But there's no need for gratitious insults, or a hate campaign to bring this down and have it be remembered as "one of the bad movies".

Last edited:
It's not only [BLACKOUT]the Mandarin twist.[/BLACKOUT]

It's [BLACKOUT]armour parts flying 800 miles in a minute (with no apparent power source), but when forming a complete armour (and now powered by Tony's arc reactor), that armour can't fly.[/BLACKOUT]

It's [BLACKOUT]flying armour parts not being able to break through a wooden door, but breaking through everything else.[/BLACKOUT]

It's [BLACKOUT]an attack with three helicopters on the house of a billionaire who has several battle armours there, each armour capable of taking out 25 helicopters - and the attack succeeds because the genius billionaire is too stupid to have a simple radar-based defense system after challenging the world's top terrorist.[/BLACKOUT]

It's [BLACKOUT]Tony seeing Pepper die, being very shocked and cracking jokes 45 seconds after it.[/BLACKOUT]

Should I go on?

It's not only

It's [BLACKOUT]Tony seeing Pepper die, being very shocked and cracking jokes 45 seconds after it.[/BLACKOUT]

Oh god, that one pissed me off I remember for a good minute. [blackout] he was crying for a good second, then the scene changed camera angle and his eyes were clear and then he proceed to joke with Killian :doh: [/blackout]

It's [BLACKOUT]armour parts flying 800 miles in a minute (with no apparent power source), but when forming a complete armour (and now powered by Tony's arc reactor), that armour can't fly.[/BLACKOUT]

It's [BLACKOUT]flying armour parts not being able to break through a wooden door, but breaking through everything else.[/BLACKOUT]

It's [BLACKOUT]an attack with three helicopters on the house of a billionaire who has several battle armours there, each armour capable of taking out 25 helicopters - and the attack succeeds because the genius billionaire is too stupid to have a simple radar-based defense system after challenging the world's top terrorist.[/BLACKOUT]

Should I go on?

No one stops you from expressing your own opinion. ;)

Should I go on?

Nah I think thats the gist of it. But don't let me stop you, I'll grab some popcorn.

I think [blackout]Iron Patriot walking into Air Force One unidentified could be added to your list as well.[/blackout]

I facepalmed so hard and accidentally hit my right eye, still hurts.

Should I go on?

-[BLACKOUT]Armor was in bad shape, it's not much of a stretch that the initial flight would burn out the flight power.[/BLACKOUT]

-[BLACKOUT]Know what momentum is?[/BLACKOUT]

-[BLACKOUT]It's safe to say it was very shortly after the ill-advised TV threat. And Tony had decent control over the situation until the final chopper took him down into the ocean. Releasing all the armors was a last resort.[/BLACKOUT]

-[BLACKOUT]This complaint really irks me. That's how Stark is. And frankly, me as well. I watch so many movies irritated at brooding characters who refuse to give levity to their situations, when I have the tendency to inject humor into everything, including tragedy. Stark can understand the absurdity around him and copes with tragedy through humor-- it's a defense mechanism. It's a big part of what's interesting about him. Most people aren't this way, so I guess I can see the confusion/disconnect, but it really connects to me on a personal level. I loved the tone. No one gave a **** that he was cracking wise about shawarma after a good chunk of NYC's population was decimated in Avengers.[/BLACKOUT]

Oh that one was bad, that one was REALLY REALLY bad.
People have problems with IM2 but nothing in IM2 has anything that approaches that level disregard for a character moment.

People have problems with IM2 but nothing in IM2 has anything that approaches that level disregard for a character moment.

Really? I thought it was pretty much in Tony's nature. And people are acting like he's actually cracking jokes and laughing out loud, which he is clearly not. A little objectivity, guys. And while I thought Iron Man 2 was kind of fun, though mediocre, it disregards pretty much any kind of storytelling. Humour was never the problem with that movie, the (lack of good) script was.

Should I go on?

[blackout]What, are you really going to challenge the movie logic? I'm surprised that you didn't mention how Tony is able to breath behind his mask or issue commands faster than he can speak to JARVIS[/blackout]

[blackout]I see that as Mark 42's inherent instability, and the armor itself does have issues.[/blackout]

[blackout]I saw Stark taking out the two helicopters and seemingly had the situation under control, but the last attack caught him by surprise. Afterward, he was fainted and JARVIS took him out of there. I don't see any inconsistency in it.[/blackout]

[blackout]Cracking joke under duress has always been part of RDJ's Stark's hallmark, and it's part of who he is. So you're going to complain about his personality as well?[/blackout]

Really? I thought it was pretty much in Tony's nature. And people are acting like he's actually cracking jokes and laughing out loud, which he is clearly not. A little objectivity, guys. And while I thought Iron Man 2 was kind of fun, though mediocre, it disregards pretty much any kind of storytelling. Humour was never the problem with that movie, the (lack of good) script was.

Pepper dies, Tony takes a breath and attacks Mandarin-- sees his suit flying over.

"The prodigal son returns."

WHAT AN INSENSITIVE JERK!

Pretty much the whole final battle was a joke.

1. Tony and Rhodey show up and [BLACKOUT]
  2. Tony's inability to use a gun is played for laughs
  3. Tony makes a joke about how hard it is to hit a bulb from that distance and Rhodey stands up in the middle of getting shot at and shoots a light bulb to show off
  4. Tony asks for Rhodey's ammo even though Rhodey keeps informing him that his ammo wont work with Tony's gun
  5. Tony looks up to check where the bad guys are, but he does it in a split second and then admits that he went way too fast and didnt see anything. [/BLACKOUT]
That is just the first like 30 seconds into the final fight and it was like that the whole time. Black turned it into a joke.

There is a difference between joking when the **** hits the fan and joking when [BLACKOUT]your soul mate kicks he bucket [/BLACKOUT]

3. Tony makes a joke about how hard it is to hit a bulb from that distance and Rhodey stands up in the middle of getting shot at and shoots a light bulb to show off
  4. Tony asks for Rhodey's ammo even though Rhodey keeps informing him that his ammo wont work with Tony's gun
  5. Tony looks up to check where the bad guys are, but he does it in a split second and then admits that he went way too fast and didnt see anything. [/BLACKOUT]
That is just the first like 30 seconds into the final fight and it was like that the whole time. Black turned it into a joke.

81CjXxD.gif

Great stuff! :up:
At the same time it was the most exciting and tense (because you cared about the character, had a good set up, and want to know how they're all going to get out of there, instead of The Avenger's finale, which is just the team hammering on characterless aliens for half an hour) showdown in any Marvel Studios movie yet. And the setting reminded me of Lethal Weapon 2!
Let's hope the directors of the next Thor and Captain America movies manage reach the same levels.

Hi everyone, i'm new here (have been a long time lurker).. saw the movie a week back, but i waited till everyone got a chance to see it incase i spoiled anything...

anyway, loved the movie (8.5/10).. great way to progress the MCU and tony's character, and potentially set up new plot devices in the upcoming movies..

By the way, this movie has turned me into a fan of Brian Tyler very quickly! Love the old school approach he took to the score. Amazing score!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"