Official UFC Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either she never recovered from her loss or just doesn't care anymore. She didn't learn her lesson from trying striking last time.

Either she never recovered from her loss or just doesn't care anymore. She didn't learn her lesson from trying striking last time.
She's too loyal to her terrible coach. Did absolutely nothing for her game.

tumblr_oj1cocfBjG1qhdjkko1_1280.jpg

See you at WrestleMania 33, Ronda. Vince just opened his checkbook.

I don't know about that. After two losses, she seems to have lost her magic.

Vince is probably wondering if Nunes is a wrestling fan.

Last edited:
Nothing anyone can do about how strong their chin is, but they can do wonders with defensive training and movement. Ronda literally had neither, I'm completely baffled by that.

Spent a whole year doing squat. I think she may have manged to look worse than her Holm fight. There's no way her career continues in any meaningful way unless she changes camp. What a waste.
Good stand up defense literally takes years to master. It is why most grapplers don't have it. Her best chance was an attempt to play to her strengths but she is mentally weak, so that was never going to happen.

And yeah, she didn't do anything. She spent the entire year getting out of shape, crying and avoiding cameras.

the fact that Amanda Nunes beat two of the best known women's fighters both by first round knockouts is very impressive.

the fact that Amanda Nunes beat two of the best known women's fighters both by first round knockouts is very impressive.
It also shows how young Women's MMA is. And why claiming Ronda was some all time great so laughable. People acted like she was Fedor spending a decade as the best in the world, or Anderson owning a division for half a decade or the pure excellence of GSP.

At least Conor was able to rebound from his one loss. Ronda couldn't do that.

At least Conor was able to rebound from his one loss. Ronda couldn't do that.
Oh, I wish I could be in the room where Conor renegotiates his future with the UFC. He's the last remaining superstar they have who can still promote and win fights.

I have my doubts that we'll see Ronda in WWE.

I don't know about that. After two losses, she seems to have lost her magic.

Vince is probably wondering if Nunes is a wrestling fan.

She'll be there. Stephanie has been pushing hard for it. Losing made the deal easier like with Lesnar's return.

She'll be there. Stephanie has been pushing hard for it. Losing made the deal easier like with Lesnar's return.

Maybe. If she signs with WWE to a deal similar to Lesnar, she could change the Women's Division on Raw (which is where I think she ends up).

My issue is her current mental state. If I'm WWE, I would not call her until she's mentally ready.

People shouldn't trash Ronda Rousey. She beat elite opponents before and she practically built women's MMA after Gina Carano left the sport high and dry.

This happens to every great fighter at some point. It happened to Chuck Liddell too.

Just remember, Nunes got defeated before in the UFC by the one and only Cat Zingano. Zingano then got submitted by Rousey in like 14 seconds.

People shouldn't trash Ronda Rousey. She beat elite opponents before and she practically built women's MMA after Gina Carano left the sport high and dry.

This happens to every great fighter at some point. It happened to Chuck Liddell too.

Just remember, Nunes got defeated before in the UFC by the one and only Cat Zingano. Zingano then got submitted by Rousey in like 14 seconds.
There are no elite women fighters at 135. Not even Nunes, who is probably the best we have seen so far. This is a young sport and it shows in the talent. This is like the UFC in the early 2000s. Once it clicked for Chuck or Anderson, they were nearly untouchable until time did them in. Same for the likes of Fedor, GSP and even Bones now. Well when Bones can fight.

Good fighters losing when they are in the mid-30s and well past their prime is so different then being under 30 and getting crushed two times in a row.

There are no elite women fighters at 135. Not even Nunes, who is probably the best we have seen so far. This is a young sport and it shows in the talent. This is like the UFC in the early 2000s. Once it clicked for Chuck or Anderson, they were nearly untouchable until time did them in. Same for the likes of Fedor, GSP and even Bones now. Well when Bones can fight.

Good fighters losing when they are in the mid-30s and well past their prime is so different then being under 30 and getting crushed two times in a row.

That makes no sense. So you are saying Chuck Liddell or Anderson Silva weren't elite because the sport was still so undeveloped?

some of the tweets about Ronda are about her and WWE.

That makes no sense. So you are saying Chuck Liddell or Anderson Silva weren't elite because the sport was still so undeveloped?
I wouldn't say Chuck or Wand were elite. I am a big fan of Wand and liked Chuck, but they were dominating the wild west. Getting beat up by an ancient Couture just says a lot really. But they were apart of the era right before things got truly real. Anderson actually went into the new generation and dominated, which showed his class. Like Fedor tooling guys for a decade, bridging multiple eras. Same for GSP who was apart of a new era.

MMA was very different before we had guys training MMA from the word go, not just coming in with one kick ass discipline and fudging the rest. Ronda is good at one thing, like Royce was, but I will give her a little more credit and put her in the early 00s class.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Chuck or Wand were elite. I am a big fan of Wand and liked Chuck, but they were dominating the wild west. Getting beat up by an ancient Couture just says a lot really. But they were apart of the era right before things got truly real. Anderson actually went into the new generation and dominated, which showed his class. Like Fedor tooling guys for a decade, bridging multiple eras. Same for GSP who was apart of a new era.

MMA was very different before we had guys training MMA from the word go, not just coming in with one kick ass discipline and fudging the rest. Ronda is good at one thing, like Royce was, but I will give her a little more credit and put her in the early 00s class.
Darth, I have a lot of love and respect for you, but I can't agree at all.

Darth, I have a lot of love and respect for you, but I can't agree at all.
Which is cool.

But I ask you, what as a MMA has Ronda shown outside of her judo? How many women at 135 have shown all around MMA class?

GSP had a bad chin and threw punches in a somewhat stiff manner. But he also showed how to combine his long jab, wrestling and incredible top control to rule a strong division for years. There was no specific discipline that could take his belt after the Serra loss.

Fedor dominated standing, on the bottom, on the top and against mutiple different styles. The best strikers, wrestlers and submission guys got their face ripped off.

When Anderson was finally put on his back by Chael, he pulled out a sub to save his championship. It reminded people that for years before he was punching people in the face, he use to roll on the mat quite well.

How long do you think any of the old MW guard would last with Bones? Who can do it everywhere. Look how badly Chuck was handled by Rampage, twice. There was an obvious answer to Chuck. Strong entry punches and solid wrestling would do him in.

We have seen Ronda fight two people who could sit on their punches and she had exactly zero to answer with. How does that make her great at MMA?

If she can mentally recover, this may be Ronda's future:

THUMBNAIL_WM-9f2a0613b6.jpg

Which is cool.

But I ask you, what as a MMA has Ronda shown outside of her judo? How many women at 135 have shown all around MMA class?

I will tell you this much. Ronda Rousey was getting classified as one dimensional with her armbars. Then she knocked out Sara McMann, an undefeated MMA fighter who was an Olympic silver medalist in wrestling. Then she knocked out Alexis Davis. She also knocked out the undefeated Bethe Correia. And she won all those fights by knockout in the first round. So she wasn't just submissions and armbars which she made her name off of.

To me, she showed a lot of evolution. She showed she could do more than just grappling and throws. She was able to beat people up in the clinch and use her grappling to transition to ground and pound and knockouts. To me that shows she's more than just a one dimensional judoka.

I will tell you this much. Ronda Rousey was getting classified as one dimensional with her armbars. Then she knocked out Sara McMann, an undefeated MMA fighter who was an Olympic silver medalist in wrestling. Then she knocked out Alexis Davis. She also knocked out the undefeated Bethe Correia. And she won all those fights by knockout in the first round. So she wasn't just submissions and armbars which she made her name off of.

To me, she showed a lot of evolution. She showed she could do more than just grappling and throws. She was able to beat people up in the clinch and use her grappling to transition to ground and pound and knockouts. To me that shows she's more than just a one dimensional judoka.
How many of those women are world class strikers? Also clinch works is a big part of judo. If her striking really improved, where was the head movement in the last two fights? How did she not land one meaningful blow in the last two fights?

There is audio of Edmund during tonight's fight and it says it all really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"