The Last Jedi Post-The Last Jedi: Rank the Star Wars movies (NO SPOILERS)

1. The original trilogy

...scrap the rest :hehe:

1. The original trilogy

...scrap the rest :hehe:

I tend to agree with this^. But for a 4 part answer, I'll go with...

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One

1. A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are The Godfather parts 1 and 2 of all Scifi movies.

2. Return of the Jedi

3. The Last Jedi

4. The Force Awakens

5. Rogue One

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones

1. Empire
2. New Hope
3. Return
4. Last Jedi
5. Force
6. Rogue
7. Revenge
8. Phantom
9. Attack

Having just gotten back from seeing this movie a 2nd time I loved it more then the first time. The wait for the next one is going to be hard like always. Star wars rankings now.

1. ROTJ- I know most people don't have it this high but I think the reason I love it so much is that I don't have a problem with the ewoks like most people and I love how we get more with the emperor and the emotion of ever thing with Vader. Also love the speed bike chase stuff.

2. TFA- Love the new characters and the movie didn't fell like a remake or to much of the same thing to me like how some people complain about. This is also the star wars movie that saved the franchise for me and brought back my love for the franchise. Having hated episodes 1 and 2 from day 1 even though I was only 10 and 13 when those came out and having liked 3 but not loved it had I not liked this movie I would have been done with star wars at that point in time.

3. TLJ- The first half pacing wise fells to slow compared to TFA but felt better the 2nd time I watched the movie. I didn't have a big problem with the humor like some people did how ever TFA handled humor better then any star wars movie yet and I missed not having Rey and Finn together in this movie has they where together more in TFA and they have so much chemistry. How ever even with that said there are just to many great moments for this to not be a great movie and I love love what they are doing with Kylo.

4. ESB- Took ever thing great about the first star wars and made it much better and the dark vader I am your father twist was so great what else needs to be said about that moment. Seeing Yoda for the first time was always great to.

5. NH- First 4 movies on this least I considered great and I love. This one I like a lot but don't love. It has not aged has while has the other 2 OT movies and being that it was the first star wars movie ever and had to introduce characters the movie is kind of slow compared to the other 2 OT movies.

6. ROTS- Good but far from great by far the best of the PT but the other 2 suck so yeah. The movie still has some bad acting and chessny moments like the other 2 PT movies but not has much and not has often.

7. RO- Slightly below ROTS for me but this has got to be the most overrated star wars movie has a lot of people have it in there like top 3 star wars movies and to me that is a joke. The movie I like over all but way to many slow moments compared to me top 4 and the characters I don't care for at all they are just like there.

8. AOTC- Movie sucks bad acting to much romance and way to much CGI. Only good part of the movie is music and the Yoda fight.

9. TPM- Just like AOTC I try to forget this movie even happened. AOTC and TPM are just terable movies that I don't need to watch ever again even though I have only seen them like 3 times in my life. Only good thing about this movie is the music that is it. AOTC I put slightly above this for the Yoda fight. How ever the Yoda fight in ROTS was much better and that movie over all is much better.

1. The Empire Strikes Back (V)
2. A New Hope (IV)
3. Rogue One (A Star Wars Story)
4. The Last Jedi (VIII)
5. The Force Awakens (VII)
6. The Phantom Menace (I)
7. Revenge of the Sith (III)
8. Return of the Jedi (VI)
9. Attack of the Clones (II)

Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Phantom Menace
Rogue One
Attack of the Clones

Empire Strikes Back
The Last Jedi
Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Rogue One
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

AOC underrated, it my first SW experience occasion in movies.

Probably...

1. The Empire Strikes Back.
2. Return Of The Jedi.
3. A New Hope.
4. The Last Jedi.
5. The Phantom Menace.
6. The Force Awakens.
7. Revenge Of The Sith.
8. Attack Of The Clones.

If we're counting Rogue One, I dunno, I guess maybe between The Last Jedi and The Phantom Menace. But hell, I love 'em all (especially the OT, can never decide which of the trilogy I like more, they're all about as enjoyable as one another to me).

BjyPwul.gif

Popq27x.gif

sGHhmfp.gif

ECLfz1M.gif

KrIYcyJ.gif

aw9TRrj.gif

0xE0g7W.gif

G5VkD60.gif

mKYdH6U.gif

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Rogue One
6. The Last Jedi
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace
9. The Force Awakens

It kind of boggles my mind that anyone could honestly rank Force Awakens ahead of A New Hope. I guess if you're young and didn't grow up with the original trilogy I can see it but it's basically just a poor mans remake for today's kids and a bunch of breadcrumbs that go nowhere.

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Rogue One
6. The Last Jedi
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace
9. The Force Awakens

It kind of boggles my mind that anyone could honestly rank Force Awakens ahead of A New Hope. I guess if you're young and didn't grow up with the original trilogy I can see it but it's basically just a poor mans remake for today's kids and a bunch of breadcrumbs that go nowhere.
I can. Its a better film. :woot:

Oh, and I grew up with the OT. Spent many days just watching the trilogy over and over again, carrying around my Threepio figure carrying case. Getting it duels with my RotJ Luke lightsaber. I had the OT, including the Special Editions, 4 times on VHS I believe. Went to the theater to watch each special edition, and went and stood outside in the cold to watch TPM and AotC because of it. I have a container of AotC toys to prove this. :hehe:

I can. Its a better film. :woot:

Oh, and I grew up with the OT. Spent many days just watching the trilogy over and over again, carrying around my Threepio figure carrying case. Getting it duels with my RotJ Luke lightsaber. I had the OT, including the Special Editions, 4 times on VHS I believe. Went to the theater to watch each special edition, and went and stood outside in the cold to watch TPM and AotC because of it. I have a container of AotC toys to prove this. :hehe:

Honest question -- how is it better? I just feel like everything TFA is predicated on is warm fuzzy feelings about the original trilogy. The story is a knock off of the original and just about every scene, character, ship, alien, and musical note is designed to make you think "this is the Star Wars I remember!"

I guess maybe if you've been waiting your whole life to see a female Jedi, or you're a big fan of the new actors that could sway something for you. But to me the joy of seeing Han Solo on screen again is all because I loved him in the first place, when they did it for real. How can anyone compare the attack on Starkiller Base to the original trench run? It's not apples and oranges it's apples and wax apples.

Honest question -- how is it better? I just feel like everything TFA is predicated on is warm fuzzy feelings about the original trilogy. The story is a knock off of the original and just about every scene, character, ship, alien, and musical note is designed to make you think "this is the Star Wars I remember!"

I guess maybe if you've been waiting your whole life to see a female Jedi, or you're a big fan of the new actors that could sway something for you. But to me the joy of seeing Han Solo on screen again is all because I loved him in the first place, when they did it for real. How can anyone compare the attack on Starkiller Base to the original trench run? It's not apples and oranges it's apples and wax apples.

TFA does away with all the carefully built up plot where we have to see a real hero's journey before the protagonist can face the dark lord. We instead get our instant gratification where the hero just learns on the spot when the plot demands it and beats the villain at the end so we don't have to wait three movies to get the conclusion. A real time saver!

....I don't quite rank TFA before ANH, but if I can try explaining some reason why I *enjoy* it more personally...

I love Finn. I love his character arc. I love the way he remains a largely baseline human and soldier, even if background material says he's a top tier rookie Stormtrooper; he doesn't miss as much as regular Stormtroopers, but he's not a deadeye or a phenomenal ace pilot, and when equipped with an unfamiliar weapon, he can be defeated by an opponent using one they're familiar with. He's the nameless, faceless background henchmen who people have made fun of since the 80's. Except...

He decides he won't be a murderer. Initially, that's it. It's not even really heroic, it's simple human decency. But he's not an idiot, so he effects an escape plan with a prisoner. In return, he gets transport off his ship, gets a name, and a cool jacket. Then, still on the run as a desperate deserter, he realizes his very presence has put two beings in danger, and accepts some responsibility for their safety, and, as a matter of convenience and perhaps a bit of compassion, fulfills his "dead" escape partner's missions. So he's gotten a bit more heroic, but only a bit; he's still mostly a pragmatic anti-Hero.

But when he sees the Hosnian System go up, even after getting his ride off into the underworld and away from the First Order, he feels some compulsion to inform Han Solo what happened, postponing or canceling his escape for a while. Then he finds out Rey's unaccounted for, and he silently decides to stay and try and defend Maz Kanata's castle. It's probably for the sake of his friend Rey, since she's saved his life multiple times and he probably feels protective of his friends, since he lost two already that day. Still... The deserter abandoned his escape attempt and stood his ground against the First Order because he feels it's the right thing to do; that lie he told Poe is now uncomfortably true. Then he sees Rey get captured; his priorities immediately change, and he goes from just a deserter to a true defector.

Now, he wheels and deals himself onto a commando mission into the heart of the First Order's power to save his friend. He's still thinking fairly selfishly about his friend first, but he is heroic now. And he can prioritize the mission objective before his own; the rookie Stormtrooper given custodial chores dooms Starkiller Base by helping to lower the shield and blow up the bunker cover for the Base's weak spot. He has now become a "big deal" with the Resistance, just like the lie he told and then confessed to Rey. And while Rey ends up being Kylo's opposite number Force-wise, Finn's confrontation with the dark side brat over his friend's unconscience form shows him as the true foil to Kylo Ren: the nobody muggle who wasn't trying to save the day has thoroughly ruined the high strung, self important and insecure Kylo's objectives, and while totally outmatched by Kylo, still charges him dedicated to his attack, while the emotionally turbulent Kylo toys with him...and pays the price, because Finn's delayed long enough for his friend to reawaken and take up the saber.

I like other elements of TFA as well, but personally? I like Finn's story in TFA more than any other one in a single movie during Star Wars, and I think it's the most powerful "ordinary person becomes a hero" story in the franchise.

Agreed. I don't see how TFA is better than ANH outside of obvious advances in technology and such, but that is partly negated by the practical effects that trump some of the aliens in TFA that were CG (like Maz). Outside that, it is the superior film. Honestly, as much as I loved TLJ, even that is not OT quality to me.

Let me say. We are talking about 3 of my like 15 favorite films. So this isn't some wide margin here by any means. Also I am talking about Star Wars. Not the special edition, with all its faults. I don't put that on the film. I am not complaining about the misguided Jabba scene, the trash all over Mos Eisley, or poor Han's attempt to protect himself. With TFA and Star Wars I prefer TFA's character, pace, look and story.

It has its problems, but I think all the films do outside of Empire. Which is pretty perfect imo. What bothers me about TFA (namely the Starkiller attack meeting and the trench run) do not deny what I like more about it. How much I just love watching Rey vs. Kylo, seeing Han act like I have never seen before (TFA is my favorite Han), meeting Finn and Poe. It has my favorite final scene in a film. It made me love the Falcon in a way I never have before.

I have a hard time remembering a character introduction I like more then Rey's. Both her actual first scene and the film itself. She isn't my favorite character. That would be Luke. But that TFA made her so close to Luke and Vader in my head is a rather big deal.

People like to dismiss it for being fun. But I don't think I have ever had more fun with a film as TFA. I have probably watched TFA over 50 times at this point. Its my go to film along Fury Road when I just feel like chilling or having something on in the background as I do stuff. My newest film like that is 2049.

I could lie as say I preferred something else, but I don't see the point in that.

Agreed. I don't see how TFA is better than ANH outside of obvious advances in technology and such, but that is partly negated by the practical effects that trump some of the aliens in TFA that were CG (like Maz). Outside that, it is the superior film. Honestly, as much as I loved TLJ, even that is not OT quality to me.
Return of the Jedi has narrative problems that make TFA and TLJ easily better imo. And TLJ has a huge third act narrative problem. But RotJ just had no idea what to do with Han and Leia, and it shows in how little I feel I care about the third act outside of the Throne Room. Should of had Han in the Falcon imo. Wouldn't have been perfect, but a big improvement imo. Also RotJ is just poorly shot and paced in comparison imo.

1. ESB
2. Star Wars
3. TFA
4. Rogue One
5. TLJ
6. ROTS
7. ROTJ
8. AOTC
9. TPM

Best tier:
The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi

(Very) good tier:
The Force Awakens
Above average/middling tier:
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Revenge of the Sith

Rotten tier (Less than a 5 out of 10):
The Last Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

<----------5---------->
5 is average on my scale. Numbers below are to represent how bad something is (the bad outweighs the good) and above to represent how good something is (the good outweighs the bad).

1. The Last Jedi -- Didn't blow me away on first watch, but it has really sunk its hooks in me, flaws and all.
2. The Force Awakens -- Well-paced, beautiful fun
3. The Phantom Menace -- Stellar art direction. I love Qui-Gon, Maul, the Podracers, Naboo, etc.
4. Return of the Jedi -- Mostly for the Luke/Vader stuff.
5. Rogue One -- Mostly for the cinematography and tone.
6. Empire Strikes Back -- Kind of slow and unexceptional at times. Art direction is still solid though.
7. A New Hope -- Ditto
8. Attack of the Clones -- Great opening. Too dull though overall.
9. Revenge of the Sith -- Feels like a Space Channel movie to me.

This is truly an unusual ranking. TLJ, TFA & TPM before any of the OT, R1 before both Star Wars & Empire?

I'm curious, would you describe yourself as a fan of SW? From your comments, it seems as though the visuals are your main interest in the franchise. What age did you first watch the movies?

Yes, I am a Star Wars fan. I grew up on the OT, but I was still a kid when TPM came out. So, the kiddiness of that film never bothered me.

Keep in mind this is a ranking of how much I enjoy the movies now, not on first watch, in which case the OT would be right at the top. But now, a lot of what I like about the OT (the world, the ships, etc) can be found in the fresher, more exciting ST films & Rogue One, with characters I prefer (I was never crazy about Luke, Han, and Leia in the OT, sorry).

And yeah, I guess do find visuals important, at least on rewatch. It's why I have such a tough time with ROTS, despite many fans thinking it's the best of the PT. I can't get immersed.

Last edited:
Return of the Jedi has narrative problems that make TFA and TLJ easily better imo. And TLJ has a huge third act narrative problem. But RotJ just had no idea what to do with Han and Leia, and it shows in how little I feel I care about the third act outside of the Throne Room. Should of had Han in the Falcon imo. Wouldn't have been perfect, but a big improvement imo. Also RotJ is just poorly shot and paced in comparison imo.

I just cannot agree with this, the throne room stuff in ROTJ is my favorite stuff in Star Wars. In any of the movies. Maybe Han being in the Falcon would have been cool, but for me the whole climax in Jedi works on all fronts. I am sucked into the story. In TFA, while I like the movie and it is fun, I was just never sucked into it nearly as much as I was at any point in Return of the Jedi. Now, if we are talking just in terms of pure visuals, I will agree Force Awakens looks better than Return of the Jedi, but in regards to story I feel Return of the Jedi trumps the force awakens in every regard

Last edited:
FWIW...

My top 4
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One

I guess the fourth best SW film would be TFA. It's clearly below the top three but the poll is made as it is.

RotS should have been the one to fill out the fourth spot though. The story of Anakin has more potential than the OT, but it just wasn't there in execution. The new trilogy is significantly below both other trilogies when it comes to the overarching story, it's just so much repetition of the state in the galaxy, undercutting the climax of the OT a lot for little reward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"