The Amazing Spider-Man Raimi: "I have total creative control for Spider-Man 4"

Well I dont think this movie will be better than Spiderman 1 and 2, but hopefully better than 3.
And I'm glad that Raimi is taking full control over it.

Well, Sam admitted there that he had no creative control over the third one. So it has to be better than the 3rd one. I think we might not see the Stacys back.

I don't think Sam wanted to used them either.

Last edited:
:applaud

Just the news I need to hear to know 4 will be in good hands :up:

best news yet!

i would also like to add that raimi was such a gentleman in that interview as well, never once just pushed blame solely on anyone, although everyone knows who was primarily at fault

Excellent..keep Arad out of the way, and you're good to go Sam :up:

Great news!

That gives me much more confidence this will be on par with the first two Spider-Man films.

He says he never really had full control of the first two films either(I already knew about the mess with part 3, in the interview you can tell he doesn't want to name drop but could if he wanted to...looking at you Avi).

I wonder if a number of problems the hardcore fans complain about will be fixed...like Parker being a real man like in the comics and not this big *****.

Last edited:
didn't he got total creative control last time.. ?

No. Avi Arad shoved Venom in his face when Raimi didn't want to use him. Raimi's original idea was to have Vulture in SM3.

I agree with everyone. Great news! And Raimi was nice to not mention any names who might or were at fault for SM3.

Good luck, Raimi! I have faith in you! :yay: :up:

Certainly a step in right direction in the franchise's recovery from SM3.

Not much I can say that you all haven't said already.

I'm even more excited for this now. :up:

No. Avi Arad shoved Venom in his face when Raimi didn't want to use him. Raimi's original idea was to have Vulture in SM3.

<Sigh> What could have been. Yea, Vulture is not that great of a villain, but having him be the third villain would have been perfect because not many care about how he would be used or how much time he would have received. Made perfect sense. But yea, we know the Arad situation and it was Ziskin who "pushed" Raimi into using the Stacy's for this film.

Producers Beefed Up Spidey 3

Sam Raimi, writer/director of Spider-Man 3, told SCI FI Wire that he had a smaller sequel in mind with fewer characters, until producers Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin suggested adding a key villain and a key love interest. "I had worked on the story with my brother, Ivan, and primarily it was a story that featured the Sandman [Thomas Haden Church]," Raimi said in a news conference in Beverly Hills, Calif., last week. "It was really about Peter, Mary Jane, Harry and that new character."

That's Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire), Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) and Harry Osborn (James Franco). Then Ziskin suggested adding Gwen Stacy, played by Bryce Dallas Howard, a popular character in the Marvel comics, who was Peter Parker's first love interest before she perished and before Mary Jane Watson appeared.

"Well, my brother and I had written in the story about another woman that recognized Peter and knew who he was at this dinner and that Mary Jane got jealous of her," Raimi said. "But Laura Ziskin, my producer, said, 'Let's make it Gwen.' And I said, 'I don't think I should, because, ... really, Gwen was introduced before Mary Jane in the comic books, and now I'm introducing her later, and ... she's not even in high school anymore. She's in college. And I'm afraid if I introduce Gwen, the fans will have all these expectations, which we're not going to deliver in this picture.' And she said, 'Well, the fans would much rather have Gwen make an introduction now, and you can do what you need to do or someone can do what they need to do in the fourth picture with her, but at least you've introduced her, and they would appreciate that.'"

Raimi said he considered the suggestion. "After much soul-searching, I thought, 'Maybe it's true. I've already screwed up the order, and I've already started the Mary Jane [storyline] first,'" Raimi said. "'Whenever [Gwen's] introduced, she'll be introduced in the wrong order. I might as well give the fans the introduction to Gwen.' So I took her advice and named her Gwen Stacy and therefore connected her to a policeman who had been on the periphery of the scenes [and became her father, Capt. Stacy, played by James Cromwell]. Made a little stronger relationship between them but, not much, just enough to be true to the fact that she was his daughter. That's about all."

As he has discussed previously, Raimi added that it was Arad's idea to add the villain Venom to the mix. "Avi Arad, my partner and the former president of Marvel at the time, said to me, 'Sam, ... you're not paying attention to the fans enough,'" Raimi said. "'You need to think about them. You've made two movies now with your favorite villains, and now you're about to make another one with your favorite villains. The fans love Venom. He is the fan favorite. All Spider-Man readers love Venom, and even though you came from '70s Spider-Man, this is what the kids are thinking about. Please incorporate Venom. Listen to the fans now.' And so that's really where I realized, 'OK, maybe I don't have the whole Spider-Man universe in my head. I need to learn a little bit more about Spider-Man and maybe incorporate this villain to make some of the real die-hard fans of Spider-Man finally happy.'" Spider-Man 3 opens May 4. —Patrick Lee, News Editor

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=41291

This is great news to hear though. :up:

Not to mention the Vulture could have easily manipulated Sandman if he were the sciencetist with the cure. Maybe he would even have created him

If total creative control means "making Sandman a good guy and Uncle Ben's killer" kind of control, I'm skeptic about it. He can direct it the way he wants, I just don't want him touching the story.

Sandman was a good guy in the comics for a while.

And to be honest it would be weird if he did that story in Spider-Man 4

I wonder what Sam will be doing with Gwen now? Tbh, I'm thinking she's going to have her just become friends with Peter & MJ. I mean, I know Sam didn't have the Stacy family in mind for S-M3, (it worked, IMO though), but since he did, as I said, I'm just curious what will happen next with Gwen and Captain Stacy? Maybe, Spidey Might get close to Captain Stacy like in the comics.

That's what I've been wondering too Spider-ManHero12.

I'm sure he won't just drop them out of the series, if he did it would kind of be weird if you watch all 4 films back to back. Or at least the third and fourth.

This is good and bad.

Good because he will tell a story that he is comfortable with and will have a passion for. That is good, because it was obvious that he didn't give a damn about the Stacey's in this film, because he didn't feel that they belonged. Partially so with Brock, though he was slightly more important.

Bad, because he was the one who made Flint Marko the killer of Uncle Ben. He also wouldn't let Peter go fully dark when he was in the black suit. Spider-man: The Animated Series and Spectacular Spider-man did a darker depiction of the black suited Spider-man/Symbiote Peter than a PG-13 film was able to deliver....that's not right.

Kids could have accepted a dark Peter and we really could have seen the city grow to hate him, see his family/friends question why he's wearing the suit. This would have made the moment when he went back to wear the red suite in the 3rd act that much more epic....and it would have been more redeeming. Instead, the kids saw a guy that likes to dance get angry a few times.....and eat cookies. This was Rami's creative control, too.

Then again, he didn't fully understand the whole symbiote suit thing anyway....

If he makes it like Spider-man and Spider-man 2, I think we'll be fine.

-R

Now maybe people will stop placing the blame for SM3 just on Raimi. All he was doing was taking orders from Arad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"