The Amazing Spider-Man Raimi: "I have total creative control for Spider-Man 4"

alright, so if your grandma can't even afford $100 to open an account, you wouldnt move back in and then buy a scooter on top of that. instead selfless parker moves into another flat 'on his own', not even sharing, on his own.

He doesn't know that she is in trouble until the beginning of the movie, after he had his own apartment and the scooter.

you say parker's guilty, show me a scene in three films where he attempts to do something about it?

In Spidey 1 and Spidey 3 she is fine. In Spidey 2 he can't even help himself he's in that far over his head.
a) someone has to fix her broken house

The insurance company would probably be the ones
b)someone has to earn money for th ekeep

She has Uncle Ben's life insurance.
if she was so capable, why was she behind on the bills in the first place?

Because sometimes people fall behind. She is capable because when she did fall behind she didn't cry and moan, she moved out and found affordable accomindation, without even needing to ask Peter for his help.
this is the same parker who takes money from is aunt and is happy to empty out her wallet but pretty much lets her be and allows the family home to be loss. instead he goes and dwells his own problems with her, he never asks how she's doing or whether she wants help.

He only takes it after she breaks down in front of him. And he does ask her how whe's doing, after he finds the bill. Plus he's with her at the bank when she's trying to get a loan.
this is the same character who apparently would deal with the devil to save her, he doesn't give a rat's ass in the films.

When you need to use One More Day to back up your argument you really are in trouble.

[quoote]
spidey times allows him better hours for a proper job to keep up with his own rent and help her with her bills. The whole job aspect of being rid of spidey is never really touched upon after he loses his job.[/quote]

That's because it's only set over a couple of weeks
she was put in hospital over her house being blown up. They can't even follow with that continuity in the next films.

the attack from ock should have left her in a similar position.

She wasn't hurt in either incident, she was just scared after her run in with the GG.
pete's got conscioius and sub-concious powers. his durability was always intact, they were intact when he fell all the way through the film. his spider sense is also subconcious, he has no concious means to activate it.

the child was supposed to be helping him, to what end remains to be seen but 'helping people up' is something that's been exagerrated in all films in hollywood.

His durability was always intact? Then how did he hurt himself trying to break the door down?

And no the child was not helping him up, that was his strenght returning because he needed it.
it was aunt's may's life in danger that caused him to go after ock in the first place.

Yeah and it was the guilt of leaving her that made his powers cut out in the scene.

That isn't what spidey is about, he's about ****ing up and the eternal road to redemption, a road with no rewards.

It can be about more than one thing. And he doesn't get rewarded. At the end of Spidey 3 he is pretty much alone, it's not even clear if he's gotten back with MJ.
the initial monologue removes all guilt for any actions parker has up to uncle ben's death.[/qute]

How?
The same goes for getting screwed over by the ring announcer. Parker didn't mess up because of circumstances, he's not a victim of wrong place/wrong time, he messes up because HE MESSED up.

you give peter parker a scapegoat to behave the way he did initially and you completely hinder his character arc from, powerless geek to super jock to humble guilt ridden hero.

you like him for trying to raise money for a girl, you find his jokes and acrobats funny and sweet, we cheer for him, we miss out how he underminds his aunt and uncle.

raimi made spidey a victim rather than culprit. You do that and you lose the heavy lesson of 'great power, great responsibility'. That's becase most people after watching would still screw over folks for money and allow bad things to happen to those who have wronged them.

And those people would be wrong to do that.
Just because the promoter cheats him doesn't give Peter an out at all. He decides, because it benefits him, that an armed robber could still run around New York doing what he wanted. And that's the only thing in Spider-Man's origin that you have to get right, that he put's himself above everybody else.
and while he does leave mj by the end of the first film, the second film undoes it all and you see he doesn't really believe or understand the choices he's made. To the fact that he renounces Uncle Ben. the guy that he thinks he kills for in part 3 gets face palmed in the second film, unbelievable. Especially since he knows what happened the last time he walked out of a car with uncle ben...

all for a bit of totty...

He doesn't renounce Uncle Ben, he renounces his responsiblity. There's a big difference. If he had of renounced Uncle Ben they wouldn't have had him visit his grave and then spill his guts to Aunt May. The metaphoar behind Spidey 2 is that of college kids who move out on their own. They think that they have decided to accept the responsiblity of adulthood but haven't. Instead of studying or getting a good job, they drink themselves senseless. Peter throws his costume out, not Uncle Ben.

And he actually reject MJ again in Spidey 2. When he decides to become Spider-Man again he tells her that he can't be there for her and even lies above loving her. Then when she finds out who he is, he tells her again that they can never be together. She decides that she is willing to take on the responiblity of being the girlfriend of Spider-Man.

Raimi: This sounds a'ight... I'm kinda excited now. But give Peter some balls for farts sake and give us killer action and some classic spider-man humor already and I think you will please alot, ALOT of people.

I'm not surprised he has more control this film, nor am I surprised he didn't last film. SM3 felt like a film with many visions, and I've said that for a while. That said, I hope the "Raimi is teh suck, SM3 suckz, LULZ!" people will see SM3 was not Raimi's fault (and as people know, I personally enjoy SM3), and will remember the better SM movies he did before SM3.

With comments Raimi has made in the past, I think we can expect Lizard most definately (if he has full creative control, and he has said in the past he'd like to use him), and perhaps someone like an Electro.

Can't wait for SM4 :up:

The fact that the symbiote, Venom and the Stacey's were forced on Raimi doesn't change the bad ideas that fall on Raimi himself.

The dancing, the poorly staged and filmed final fight, the poor protrayal of MJ and Harry's relationship, the poor portrayal of Harry (the costume and the whole amnesia thing) etc. all still falls on Raimi's shoulders.

plus the kids at the end. hes kids. they are forced in the movie. and those cheesy lines.

and raimi must be a very good actor if it was such a pain to have venom and the symbiote in the movie.

I think Raimi more or less admitted it. Obviously he's not going to come out and say that he never wanted him in the movie, but I can remember him saying he'd been swayed to include him and that he'd never found him interesting until he'd viewed him in a different way etc. I think it was pretty obvious.

But I do think this is Raimi shifting the blame. He still made a movie which was much worse than the last two.

I think Raimi having creative control means we're going to get Electro and/or Vulture as the villains.

He doesn't know that she is in trouble until the beginning of the movie, after he had his own apartment and the scooter.

In Spidey 1 and Spidey 3 she is fine. In Spidey 2 he can't even help himself he's in that far over his head.

The insurance company would probably be the ones

She has Uncle Ben's life insurance.

Because sometimes people fall behind. She is capable because when she did fall behind she didn't cry and moan, she moved out and found affordable accomindation, without even needing to ask Peter for his help.

He only takes it after she breaks down in front of him. And he does ask her how whe's doing, after he finds the bill. Plus he's with her at the bank when she's trying to get a loan.

When you need to use One More Day to back up your argument you really are in trouble.

[quoote]
spidey times allows him better hours for a proper job to keep up with his own rent and help her with her bills. The whole job aspect of being rid of spidey is never really touched upon after he loses his job.

That's because it's only set over a couple of weeks

She wasn't hurt in either incident, she was just scared after her run in with the GG.

His durability was always intact? Then how did he hurt himself trying to break the door down?

And no the child was not helping him up, that was his strenght returning because he needed it.

Yeah and it was the guilt of leaving her that made his powers cut out in the scene.

It can be about more than one thing. And he doesn't get rewarded. At the end of Spidey 3 he is pretty much alone, it's not even clear if he's gotten back with MJ.
the initial monologue removes all guilt for any actions parker has up to uncle ben's death.[/qute]

How?

And those people would be wrong to do that.
Just because the promoter cheats him doesn't give Peter an out at all. He decides, because it benefits him, that an armed robber could still run around New York doing what he wanted. And that's the only thing in Spider-Man's origin that you have to get right, that he put's himself above everybody else.

He doesn't renounce Uncle Ben, he renounces his responsiblity. There's a big difference. If he had of renounced Uncle Ben they wouldn't have had him visit his grave and then spill his guts to Aunt May. The metaphoar behind Spidey 2 is that of college kids who move out on their own. They think that they have decided to accept the responsiblity of adulthood but haven't. Instead of studying or getting a good job, they drink themselves senseless. Peter throws his costume out, not Uncle Ben.

And he actually reject MJ again in Spidey 2. When he decides to become Spider-Man again he tells her that he can't be there for her and even lies above loving her. Then when she finds out who he is, he tells her again that they can never be together. She decides that she is willing to take on the responiblity of being the girlfriend of Spider-Man.
I'm not here to convince you so I'll say this.

The issues brought up about spidey 3 are also apparent in the other films. Raimi's spiderman is one of them but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

we'll see if you still trust his judgement after the fourth. Raimi's a man of habbit, the same issues will crop up, trust me.

The fact that the symbiote, Venom and the Stacey's were forced on Raimi doesn't change the bad ideas that fall on Raimi himself.

The dancing, the poorly staged and filmed final fight, the poor protrayal of MJ and Harry's relationship, the poor portrayal of Harry (the costume and the whole amnesia thing) etc. all still falls on Raimi's shoulders.

I didn't hate Harry's portrayel in the film, nor the did I hate the dancing.

plus the kids at the end. hes kids. they are forced in the movie. and those cheesy lines.

and raimi must be a very good actor if it was such a pain to have venom and the symbiote in the movie.

The kids are in the movie a whole 2 seconds. That is making a mountain out of a mole hill to me.

That stuff didn't really bother me because you find that kind of stuff in the comics all the time.

I was just more bothered that there was too much going on in the film and it felt disjointed. It didn't really feel like we got a proper conclusion to the Sandman story. Or really even Peter and MJ at the end. It feels like so much was left unsaid.

I don't think the blame can go to any singular place. But I hope everyone moves forward and with a stronger renewed perspective for this go around.

The thing is though, now that the Stacey's are introduced what do you do with them? Do you write out Gwen and Captain Stacey when they probably shouldn't have been in there in the first place just to so arbitrarily put them in there?

I mean fans who hold the history so sacred with Uncle Ben and Sandman, they should also be ticked off if say they killed MJ and made Peter marry Gwen instead. That doesn't work either.

That stuff didn't really bother me because you find that kind of stuff in the comics all the time.

I was just more bothered that there was too much going on in the film and it felt disjointed. It didn't really feel like we got a proper conclusion to the Sandman story. Or really even Peter and MJ at the end. It feels like so much was left unsaid.

I don't think the blame can go to any singular place. But I hope everyone moves forward and with a stronger renewed perspective for this go around.

The thing is though, now that the Stacey's are introduced what do you do with them? Do you write out Gwen and Captain Stacey when they probably shouldn't have been in there in the first place just to so arbitrarily put them in there?

I mean fans who hold the history so sacred with Uncle Ben and Sandman, they should also be ticked off if say they killed MJ and made Peter marry Gwen instead. That doesn't work either.

Yes, yes, yes yes!

I literally just thrw my hands up in the air and shouted YES!

Sam's such a classy man. Never mentionaing one name about who did it (though we all know) and we know that Sam was trying to make a great third. Oh, Sam I always believed in you.

I think Raimi more or less admitted it. Obviously he's not going to come out and say that he never wanted him in the movie, but I can remember him saying he'd been swayed to include him and that he'd never found him interesting until he'd viewed him in a different way etc. I think it was pretty obvious.

He's definitely admitted before that he never wanted to use Venom:

I had never read Venom in the comic books, since they came after my time. Because of that, I didn't have a natural inclination toward him. And when I read those comics, at [producer] Avi Arad's urging, I didn't understand where Venom's humanity was. I know that kids think he looks cool, and they think he's a good villain for Spider-Man. I actually didn't. What was it about Peter's own makeup that this villain represented some weaker or darker side to? Just looking like a dark version of him is not enough for me. The more I read [Venom stories], the less interested I became. But then Avi said, ''Look, you've got to be less selfish. You've got to learn what it is these kids love about Venom.'' So I tried to open my mind up. Then Alvin developed a character that I did understand, and did appreciate.

Link: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20035285_20035331_20037557,00.html

I especially agree with what he said in the bold parts.

Wow.
The man who directed what is considered by many to be the best marvel comic-based filnm of all time has announced he is allowed to make a sequel with no studio interference....and people are UNHAPPY???

Wow.
The man who directed what is considered by many to be the best marvel comic-based filnm of all time has announced he is allowed to make a sequel with no studio interference....and people are UNHAPPY???

Well, this is the hype after all. :oldrazz:

Indeed, and, btw, that was a great scene, I might add.
That WAS a good scene. I could connect with Peter since I have been in similar situations when a family member offers you money when you know they don't have much of their own :csad:. It would be great if SM4 could ditch the corny and fake emotional scenes and have more real emotional scenes like that :up:

Anyway, its great that Raimi has total creative control over the film....hopefully the reason SM3 sucked was because Raimi didnt have total control. And I think Venom was a terrible edition, Im not too fond of him as a villain.

I only wish that Avi Arad was featured making a comment or two in there(somewhere), so people could know how stupid he sounds. Here's an example:
Interviewer: Ladies and gentlemen, today I have with me the Chair behind 'Marvel Studios' and producer of the majority of the 'Marvel' movies, Mr. Avi Arad.
Avi Arad: Spider-Man's a virgin.
Interviewer: *speechless*

^LOL! ROFL! LMAO! That would be so random and a useless comment!

Wow.
who is unhappy?

I don't get how people are saying Raimi could of just said screw you or pointing fingers?

Because Raimi is a guy who does that. :whatever: Oh, and you don't tell a major CEO of Marvel who is in charge of financing and overseeing the film to screw you when you're making a film. You want the job right? :whatever:

That's like telling your boss to **** off.

Sam now has creative control and in SM2 because the studio trusted him with the control. The studio and producers are your boss, the director isn't unfortuantely.

Last edited:
Sam might not have had total control over Spider-Man 3, but what he was forced to use, I thought he used well.

He could have completely ****ed over Venom. You guys think we really got it that bad? Some of the concept art for him was terribly wrong, he could have been used like Bane in Batman and Robin.

For the most part, we got a good rendition of the character. He wasn't EXACT, but he was damn close. He needed more time, and a ticket to live on. I think fans blow his treatment out of proportion.
I'm not some fan who is defending this for like..no reason. If they did Venom completely wrong, you guys would probably never hear the end of it from me. I was somewhat pissed on how Blackheart was handled in Ghost Rider. He wasn't AWFUL, but God, he could have been amazing. They didn't do him justice enough. Same with Dr. Doom (though he was better than Blackheart).

Raimi really did seem to WANT to please us. Sure, some of you guys weren't happy with Venom, but I still think most of you are just taking it too far.

I'm glad Raimi can openly say he understands some fans weren't pleased all the way. He seemed only about...80-85% satisfied with the final film judging from the commentary, interviews etc. etc. Obviously he wanted to be 100% satisfied, and wasn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"