Ridin’ with Biden

IMO, Iran was trying to de-escalate with their response to Israel bombing the consulate. They had to make some response and gave Israel every chance to prepare. In addition, they said they considered the matter closed. I'm sure some missiles made it through, but this was the farthest thing from an aggressive act meant to cause civilian damage. Iran's interests aren't served by a widening of the war. That seems to be more of something that Israel is trying to do.

I think Netanyahu would love nothing more than to drag the US into a wider conflict, hurt Biden's chances in November, and have Trump re-elected so they can do whatever they wish. It's more complicated than that with Iran and Russia generally being allied, but those details can be worked out.

Good post.

I am afraid of what Israel intends to do with their retaliation. The word is their cabinet approved retaliation, but for a later time. I don't know what that means and I have not seen anybody who knows what it means. They don't have the means to fight a conventional war against Iran. They also don't have the means to fight a nuclear war, as Israel is done if it ever fires a single nuke. I was wondering if it meant a planned biowarfare attack, but that has obvious risks of backfiring.

Good post.

I am afraid of what Israel intends to do with their retaliation. The word is their cabinet approved retaliation, but for a later time. I don't know what that means and I have not seen anybody who knows what it means. They don't have the means to fight a conventional war against Iran. They also don't have the means to fight a nuclear war, as Israel is done if it ever fires a single nuke. I was wondering if it meant a planned biowarfare attack, but that has obvious risks of backfiring.
If Isreal was stupid enough to launch nukes at Iran, Russia would blow Isreal away with nukes as well, and then we'll all be screwed.

After the second world war, the USA had 51% of global economic production and virtually all of the best technology. It was the hegemon and set up and controlled the world's global economic structures.

But that's long over. Today the USA has 15% of global GDP adjusted for PPP (and China has 17%). Sanctions only hurt the USA by reducing its influence, and in this particular case the main beneficiaries will be Russia and China. Every country the USA sanctions simply increases it's trade with BRICS, and typically doesn't miss a beat.

The era of Western Imperialism began in 1492 and ended in 2022. It's time to focus on the home front. Better relations with Iran are in the best interests of the USA.

The alternative, trying to maintain the illusion of empire, is scary:

Last edited:

The GDP value of the United States represents 10.91 percent of the world economy​

The GDP value of China represents 7.74 percent of the world economy.​

Thats even worse for China considering they have 4 times the population of the United States.

It was thanks to the mistake of normalizing relations with the Chinese dictatorship beginning in the 1970s that the capitalists pushed for that the US and Europe lost millions of jobs and industrial capability to China which has helped bring them to where they are today.

The GDP value of the United States represents 10.91 percent of the world economy​

The GDP value of China represents 7.74 percent of the world economy.​

Thats even worse for China considering they have 4 times the population of the United States.

It was thanks to the mistake of normalizing relations with the Chinese dictatorship beginning in the 1970s that the capitalists pushed for that the US and Europe lost millions of jobs and industrial capability to China which has helped bring them to where they are today.

Why are you posting incorrect numbers in size 32 bold font and missing the point?

The IMF has China at 19% and the USA at 15%, for 2024.

Nixon normalizing relations with China in 1973 was the right idea. It's an ancient civilization, we shouldn't be a bunch of white supremacist clowns who close ourselves off from anything different. What was wrong was Clinton's decision to terminate American industry in the 1990s. China took over which indeed slightly accelerated their rebuild.

Regardless, that's over and now we need to look forward.

The IMF are purchasing power figures, the figures I posted are from the World Bank.

The IMF are purchasing power figures, the figures I posted are from the World Bank.
PPP is more meaningful, but even if we ignore that, the numbers you posted in size 32 bolded font are incorrect.

US GDP, 27 trillion
China gdp, 18 trillion,
Global GDP, 105 trillion

That doesn't give you 11% and 8%.

Other than countries like Cuba, sanctions from the USA no longer have a significant impact like they once did.

I suspect the Euro area being counted essentially twice may have thrown their percentages off.

I suspect the Euro area being counted essentially twice may have thrown their percentages off.

Yes, maybe.

Regardless, the underlying point is that sanctions now do more harm than good to the USA.

What do American sanctions on Iran do? It increases Iran's trade with every other country.

The best thing the world can do is stop using oil which is where green tech - and locally produced energy - is a formidable economic weapon against petrol states.
China dominates the so-called green tech industry, and much of the minerals to build green tech are to be found in Asia and Africa.

But regardless, the USA has a political and economic structure that makes it less competitive. If you employ an American worker, you have to pay more for his health care, his pension, everything. Taxes go to a bloated and ineffective military. A lot of things are more expensive here due to greedy institutions and individuals such as Goldman Sachs and Bill Gates embedding themselves. Biden would rather spend more money to lose a war in Ukraine than to increase funding for food stamps or COVID precautions.

Historically these problems covered up by the empire, skimming the cream off profits in the rest of the world. Now that the party is over, the country needs a lot of internal reform, or things will get far worse. We shouldn't sugarcoat. If you spend more time on the world bank's website you'll also see that China and Russia have better scores on infant mortality and income inequality (gini coefficients) than the USA.

And if you think Trump is bad, see what happens if we have another ten years of elites pretending that it's all sunshine and roses.

2020:

I don't see the government being so stupid as to shut down any sort of pandemic department again, if ever.

I don't see the government being so stupid as to shut down any sort of pandemic department again, if ever.

Republicans are quickly rolling back any required vax requirements. Yeah, the crazies are in control now.

Republicans are quickly rolling back any required vax requirements. Yeah, the crazies are in control now.
By and large, the country has stopped caring about COVID. It's bipartisan. It's really too bad, we're going to suffer a great deal. COVID is worse than a season cold.

Back when I was 12 or so, and first getting interested in history, I may have scoffed at the ancient Romans for poisoning themselves with lead cutlery, which may have lowered their IQ and made them more aggressive.

Lol -- we're doing much worse than the ancient Romans, even though we supposedly know more.

NB: The impact of lead on ancient Rome is a matter of debate.

If you live in Ohio as i do, the republican secretary of state has announced President Biden will not be on the November ballot here in Ohio, saying the primary was to close to the election and that he didnt met the necessary critieria to be included, yet Trump who tried to overthrow the country and had the same primary will be included, this represents the first time an incumbent President running for re-election will not be on the ballot here in Ohio.

If you live in Ohio as i do, the republican secretary of state has announced President Biden will not be on the November ballot here in Ohio, saying the primary was to close to the election and that he didnt met the necessary critieria to be included, yet Trump who tried to overthrow the country and had the same primary will be included, this represents the first time an incumbent President running for re-election will not be on the ballot here in Ohio.
They're doing this to try to take the Senate seat from Brown too, less D turnout to rig the election.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"