Homecoming Robert Downey Jr IS Tony Stark / Iron Man

BatsDC

Side-Kicker
Reaction score
18ace53a0d3facd67c16376cfc002240.md.jpg

It looks like the team-up of Spider-Man and Iron Man seen in Captain America: Civil War won’t be the duo’s last.

Robert Downey Jr., who plays the red and gold-armored Marvel character, has closed a deal to join the cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming, Marvel and Sony’s reboot of the web-crawling superhero, sources tell THR.

Tom Holland will star as Peter Parker/Spider-Man and is making his debut as the character in Civil War (and already garnering praise for his take on the role).

The movie establishes a key relationship between Tony Stark/Iron Man and Parker and Homecoming will continue that thread.
Homecoming has been casting up ahead of its June start of production. Marisa Tomei will play Aunt May, while Zendaya is one of the female leads. Tony Revolori, who starred opposite Ralph Fiennes in The Grand Budapest Hotel, and Laura Harrier, who appeared in the soap opera One Life to Live, are also boarding the project.

Sony has held the rights to Spider-Man since the 1990s but its recent outings with the character proved unpopular with fans and critics, despite relatively strong box office. Meanwhile, Marvel built itself up as a movie studio, requiring the rights of many of the characters it had licensed out in the 1990s, and then was bought by Disney. Spider-Man was one of a handful that eluded them.

Last year, Sony execs invited Marvel to come in and handle the character, in an effort to restore him to his former glory. One of the ways Marvel is doing that is by introducing Holland as Spider-Man in Civil War before he goes on to his own movie series.

But with Downey’s boarding, it appears that Marvel will continue to keep Spider-Man close not just creatively but also literally; Tony Stark/Iron Man appearing in Homecoming keeps the Sony’s movies strongly tied to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Downey and his industrialist hero have been cornerstones of Marvel’s film slate even though unlike his other co-stars he has not signed the studio’s complicated multi-pic deals. His last renegotiation included him appearing in Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and Part 2, as well as Civil War.

His appearance in Homecoming required another round of negotiations. It is unclear whether that is to appear in just Homecoming or subsequent instalments.
Hollywood Reporter

Last edited:
spidey.gif

Let's go baby!!! :D

I guess Marvel only care to make some extra money. Cause I dont see any other reason for this. I am just saying they could have put anyone, but they put Stark for a reason.

I guess Marvel only care to make some extra money. Cause I dont see any other reason for this. I am just saying they could have put anyone, but they put Stark for a reason.

Tom Holland will star as Peter Parker/Spider-Man and is making his debut as the character in Civil War (and already garnering praise for his take on the role).

The movie establishes a key relationship between Tony Stark/Iron Man and Parker and Homecoming will continue that thread.

Right there in the article.

Ugh, really not happy about this. I would much rather see more focus on Spidey's mythos.

Really hope they don't make Tony help him out in any way. Part of what made Spider-Man so appealing is that he never had a mentor. He was just a natural at the superhero thing. This could potentially hurt that to an extent.

Ugh.. Can't we finally just have a good Spidey movie for once, instead of playing it safe with Downey again and again?

Ugh.. Can't we finally just have a good Spidey movie for once, instead of playing it safe with Downey again and again?

Right? Hated the last 5 Spider-Man movies with Iron-Man in them! :whatever:

What are you talking about lol? This isn't playing it safe, this is a MASSIVE addition that's going to make the movie even more enjoyable. RDJ is the MCU's ace? Why not use him whenever possible? He's not in all the flicks anyways, but it makes sense for him to be in this one with his current involvement with Peter in Civil War. I don't see the problem, but that's just me.

Ugh, really not happy about this. I would much rather see more focus on Spidey's mythos.

Really hope they don't make Tony help him out in any way. Part of what made Spider-Man so appealing is that he never had a mentor. He was just a natural at the superhero thing. This could potentially hurt that to an extent.

That's why Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon sucks.

Tony Stark as mentor /father figure to Peter is probably not gonna sit well with some hardcore Spider-Man fans.

But mentor doesn't have to mean "babysitter". He's got a perfectly good mentor-like relation with Octavius in SP2 and that turned out fine.

I see nothing in that article about being a mentor figure.

well even more obvious the Sony/MCU Spider-man is not for old longtime spidey fans
like me who were buying spider-man comcis years before in 2000's they had him join
the avengers.

well even more obvious the Sony/MCU Spider-man is not for old longtime spidey fans
like me who were buying spider-man comcis years before in 2000's they had him join
the avengers.

Guess you missed all the comments about Feige's favourite era of the Spidey comics being his very first appearances in his high-school years. Y'know, the period of his life this movie is based on?

Right? Hated the last 5 Spider-Man movies with Iron-Man in them! :whatever:

I didn't imply that, lol. What I said was that the past five films clearly didn't depict the character the way I know and love him. And now it looks like we're finally getting him the way he's meant to be, and it's being stuffed with RDJ because he's the studio's all-star. It feels a little bittersweet.

What are you talking about lol? This isn't playing it safe, this is a MASSIVE addition that's going to make the movie even more enjoyable. RDJ is the MCU's ace? Why not use him whenever possible? He's not in all the flicks anyways, but it makes sense for him to be in this one with his current involvement with Peter in Civil War. I don't see the problem, but that's just me.

I think that's exactly what it is. There have been three Spidey movies in a row for 10 years that left a bad taste in a massive amount of peoples' mouths. This feels like Marvel's guaranteed way to make a decent buck while re-invigorating the character again. I'm not saying the movie would bomb without RDJ, I'm just saying that if this is the REAL Spidey we've known and loved since childhood, they should put their confidence in that and know that we will come.

Spidey's a perfect, timeless character who seems to be the victim of having been screwed up on film constantly. If this is finally back to form, embrace that and let him enjoy his moment in the sun for just a second.

Uggh, just give us a Spider-Man movie.

Last edited:
Love RDJ as Tony. And I'm totally down with the idea that he joins the story just as long as it still feels like a singular, Peter-centric story. Does Iron Man have a big part in Peter's life? Probably. I havent' seen Civil War but I'm guessing with all that Kevin Feige has said, that these "big time" super heroes have a presence in Peter's life and sort of shadow him and will shape his path of what hero he wants to be.

I imagine Sony execs are very excited because a Spider-Man film has never hit the $1 billion box office mark. I fully expect that to happen now!

B0_9KP4CcAAplBN.jpg

Hoping he has a very minor role. Like the [BLACKOUT]apartment scene[/BLACKOUT] and maybe another thing but never goes beyond that extent.

Unless, of course, Norman Osborn is in this because if he is, I'd like to see Stark vs. Osborn in terms of being powerful business man clashing due to their egos.

Anyways, I want a Peter/Spidey story that is just connected to the MCU and nothing more at the end of the day. Really don't need to see the entire baggage of the MCU be carried over with this film. I wanna be able to watch all the future Spider-Man movies and understand and 'get' everything that is going on, without having to have seen -this, -this, and -this of the MCU films before watching any future sequels or what-have-you.

I'm perfectly okay with Civil War being Spidey's big re-debut, and him having his appearances in such films as The Infinity War duology, but I want Spider-Man to be Spider-Man at the core.

Last edited:
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Marvel's The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming
Avengers: Infinity War Part I
Avengers: Infinity War Part II

Jesus. I don't envy Marvel one bit when Downey decides to hang it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"