• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Homecoming Robert Downey Jr IS Tony Stark / Iron Man

I didn't imply that, lol. What I said was that the past five films clearly didn't depict the character the way I know and love him. And now it looks like we're finally getting him the way he's meant to be, and it's being stuffed with RDJ because he's the studio's all-star. It feels a little bittersweet.

I think that's exactly what it is. There have been three Spidey movies in a row for 10 years that left a bad taste in a massive amount of peoples' mouths. This feels like Marvel's guaranteed way to make a decent buck while re-invigorating the character again. I'm not saying the movie would bomb without RDJ, I'm just saying that if this is the REAL Spidey we've known and loved since childhood, they should put their confidence in that and know that we will come.

Spidey's a perfect, timeless character who seems to be the victim of having been screwed up on film constantly. If this is finally back to form, embrace that and let him enjoy his moment in the sun for just a second.

Uggh, just give us a Spider-Man movie.

You want Spider-Man to spread his wings and fly on his own? Read your own words about the last 3 Spider-Man movies leaving a bad taste in the GA's mouth. This isn't "safe" it's "smart". Call it whatever you want, but it's happening and it's a good thing for Spider-Man and the MCU.

It's still a "Spider-Man" movie first and foremost. Iron-Man isn't a crutch that Sony/Disney are leaning on. They're not making anymore Iron-Man solo films for the time being. He's the biggest draw in the MCU and they're incorporating him into Spidey's movie and this is a bad thing? I just don't get it... From what I've heard the Peter and Tony scene is phenomenal in Civil War. They're only going to further that with this movie, and by the critics reactions it's a very positive scene.

Don't worry I'm sure Tony won't cheat on Pepper
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Marvel's The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming
Avengers: Infinity War Part I
Avengers: Infinity War Part II

Jesus. I don't envy Marvel one bit when Downey decides to hang it up.

You forgot about the Incredible Hulk... Like everyone else

As long as his role feels organic and isn't forced, which I'm sure it won't be, I'm cool with it.

Not only do I love this news, but I love how upset some people are getting over it. This is why you have an inter-connected universe, people. I obviously don't want this to be a Spider-man/Iron Man team up film, but Tony dropping in and helping Pete out? Hell yeah. Why not?

well even more obvious the Sony/MCU Spider-man is not for old longtime spidey fans
like me who were buying spider-man comcis years before in 2000's they had him join
the avengers.

I guess we're now forgetting the old Lee/Ditko books that had cameo appearances from the Avengers, Daredevil, FF, etc.

This is great. Not knowing how Tony will be by the end of CW, I could see Tony as more withdrawn and a recluse after everything and Peter is the person to wake him up and their relationship is the heart of the film.

I don't see this as bad news. As long as its a Spider-Man movie first and foremost, I really don't care who shows up in the movie.

This is the best thing to happen to the solo movie since... Well nothing has really happened lol.

Wonder if he's going to suit up, or just feature as Tony Stark (probably due to some internship he offers Peter)

Wonder if he's going to suit up, or just feature as Tony Stark (probably due to some internship he offers Peter)

They're going to pay him the same regardless. So you can bet all 3 of your posts that he's going to be suiting up. Maximize those dollars Sony!

Welcome to the hype btw! ;)

Cgl2IJpUoAEN8Ss.jpg

I'm still in shock, couldn't be more excited with this news. It's perfect!

I wonder if notoriously budget conscious Tom Rothman pulled an Ike Perlmutter hissy fit when he saw RDJ's price tag. Or he looked at RDJ's past several movies and thought, "Well, he's worth that $40M."

They're going to pay him the same regardless. So you can bet all 3 of your posts that he's going to be suiting up. Maximize those dollars Sony!

Welcome to the hype btw! ;)

Thanks, dude

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Marvel's The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming
Avengers: Infinity War Part I
Avengers: Infinity War Part II

Looking at this I don't get the people ringing the "ugh Marvel using Downey again" bell

Avengers- of course he is gonna be in those
Civil War- Stark was a main character of that arc in the comics

This is really the first MCU movie RDJ will appear in where he is being implemented into the story that they probably could have done without him.

I wonder if notoriously budget conscious Tom Rothman pulled an Ike Perlmutter hissy fit when he saw RDJ's price tag. Or he looked at RDJ's past several movies and thought, "Well, he's worth that $40M."

Hopefully (and most probably) the latter.

Five years in a row we are getting Iron Man, and teaming up with Marvel's crown jewel no less.

Prior to 2008, after 45 years in obscurity, never being in a live action movie or tv show, any never having any cool team ups in the comics or being in any cross over (yes I'm still pissed Tony Stark missed out on Secret Wars '84 and Marvel vs DC), I'm excited this is happening, multiple Iron Man movies and a big team up with an iconic hero.

I for one hope it is a team up movie.

Hopefully (and most probably) the latter.

I would really love to see the full details that went into the Marvel / Sony partnership. Tom Rothman feels indebted to former CEO Amy Pascal when she gave him the gig at TriStar Pictures (and secured himself to run the studio after she got the boot), so I don't know if he's giving her more freedom on Spider-Man because of that.

Spider-Man Homecoming is definitely going to be a big hit for Sony next year, especially if they have another MCU actor starring alongside RDJ. The $30M-$40M he gets, plus a first dollar percentage is ridiculous though.

RDJ's MCU movies average just over 1B each. He's worth the 50M, no questions asked.

question is if he will be suited-up at all, and if you guys would like that...

So, do you think he will be suited-up as Iron-Man? And would you like it or no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"