Homecoming Robert Downey Jr IS Tony Stark / Iron Man

I really enjoyed the moment when Peter yelled "If you actually cared, you'd BE here!" and he popped right out of the armor. Big moment for both characters. Really shows you how far Tony's come since 2008 and Iron Man.

So, what was Stark doing in wherever-he-was-when-he-was-far-away?

My guess? Trying to put his soul back together after Civil War. After all, he just had the nearest thing to a nervous breakdown, and pretty much ruined most of the things he cares about in life. I can see him deciding to disappear to some ashram for a while ( . . . and then leaving for the next thing because it doesn't work, as he's the wrong person trying to solve the wrong problem in the wrong way ).

Which is probably a *huge* part of the reason why Tony stays out of Peter's life so much: he's pretty much at peak self-loathing and self-distrust.

So after all that Iron Man definitely totally overpowered and stole the movie.:oldrazz:

Movie should've definitely been titled Iron Man 4. So many whined about it being his movie and they were right.

I saw this a while back, didn't see it again until this past weekend when I bought the blu-ray, but never came here to express my thoughts on Tony/Iron Man being in the movie.

So after all the crying, moaning and constant complaining about Iron Man being in the movie (which is why I stopped posting on these Spider-Man boards), he was barely in it. No defeating the villain at the end, no taking over the movie, no doing more than Spider-Man, no taking over the screen time over other characters, no of anything that people were crying about.

It would've been nice to have seen another team up action sequence with the two like in Civil War, but I guess I'll have to wait until Infinity War for that to happen.

I saw this a while back, didn't see it again until this past weekend when I bought the blu-ray, but never came here to express my thoughts on Tony/Iron Man being in the movie.

So after all the crying, moaning and constant complaining about Iron Man being in the movie (which is why I stopped posting on these Spider-Man boards), he was barely in it. No defeating the villain at the end, no taking over the movie, no doing more than Spider-Man, no taking over the screen time over other characters, no of anything that people were crying about.

It would've been nice to have seen another team up action sequence with the two like in Civil War, but I guess I'll have to wait until Infinity War for that to happen.

Yeah, I agree. He was basically an extended cameo. Still, I love the armor design and he had some really funny moments.

That's because, ultimately, the complaints/fears about Tony Stark had nothing to do with Iron Man actually taking over the movie. They had to do with fans of the TASM style and direction being offended that this style was ( by all objective measures rightly ) being discarded.

While it's true that Tony/Iron Man isn't in the movie much, most of the criticisms leveled against him generally have to do with the fact that the way he was implemented into Homecoming has caused Tony's presence to still be felt regardless of screentime:
1) The first and most obvious is Spidey's suit, to the point that some people think of him as "Iron Man Jr" and not "Spider-Man".
2) The motivations of Vulture and his gang are due to Tony (if indirectly, through Damage Control).
3) Spidey's initial motivations in the movie appear to be impressing Tony Stark and convincing him that he's worthy of being an Avenger (you see him bombarding Happy with texts), and it's Tony who has to remind him that Peter should be fighting for the little guy (telling Peter to do more things like helping the lady who gave him churro, "stay close to the ground", etc.). While the ending of the movie implies a shift back to Peter's original motivations, this (along with the lack of a mention to Uncle Ben) rubbed some people the wrong way.
4) Spidey gets into 3 major conflicts where 2 of them involve Tony bailing him out (getting dropped into the ocean by Vulture, the ferry incident), potentially robbing Peter of being able to learn from his mistakes. In the 3rd situation (the buried under rubble scene), while he doesn't have the luxury of being bailed out, his motivational jump-start is due to him recalling something Tony said to him - some people might have greatly appreciated Peter recalling something from Uncle Ben instead.
5) The ending scene (with the press conference intended to announce Peter as a newest member of the Avengers) concerns Tony and his supporting cast more than Peter; Peter's most crucial part is turning down being an Avenger, but the whole scene plays out in a way where Tony is essentially the "main character" at the moment as all the decisions being made affect Tony more than Peter.

While I liked the movie a lot, I can certainly understand people's complaints about Tony. It would have been VERY interesting to see how Homecoming would've implemented Nick Fury if he were the mentor type figure instead (Jon Watts mentioned that he wanted to go with Nick Fury previously), despite Nick Fury and Peter having no interaction in the MCU yet.

Shock by the lack of him but not disappointed. I did expect him in this more but he was rather minor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"