Season 1, Episode 1 What If: Captain Carter was ...The First Avenger? (Discussion)

I'll give it a few more episodes but I think I'll just put this in the same category as One-Shots and the D+ Legends series. Fun side content but not necessarily part of the main story of the MCU.

Solid premiere. They try to cram a little too much into it but I loved Peggy and Steve together. The artwork is kinda hit or miss; I’m fine with the style but while Peggy looks like Hayley and Bradley Whitford’s character looks just like him, couldn’t they have done a better job on Bucky? He looks like a 16-year-old kid.

I'll give it a few more episodes but I think I'll just put this in the same category as One-Shots and the D+ Legends series. Fun side content but not necessarily part of the main story of the MCU.

Apparently this is apart of the larger MCU, it wasn't an accident it occurred after Loki's encountered with he who remains in the finale when the Multiverse exploded.

The showrunners says this will have an effect on the bridge of the MCU going forward . ..

I rate the first episode a 6 out of 10.

The animation was ok, the facial expressions weren't good and the voice acting, kind of out of synch with the movement, was distracting... The action was over the top but pretty good to look at. Whoever edited the episode forgot to turn off the fast forward button, the breakneck speed of the episode was just too much...

The story itself was kind of retelling without a lot of interest. Captain Carter was cool, i liked seeing Howard Stark, the rest wasn't that exciting... Not a big fan of CA: TFA so that maybe made me zone out a bit.

Last edited:
E8S6advUYAEpTld

I wasn’t a fan of that 1st episode but I actually think Captain Carter is a pretty cool character overall and I hope they can give her a better stage to shine.

So, finally got around to watching it. Overall I liked it, except for one hiccup. Yes, its overstuffed, yes, it hinges heavily on the source movie. However, that's kind of the whole point of What If? as a concept, to tell stories whose meaning derives from seeing how the lives of familiar characters could go differently. It has a cost in pacing and accessibility, but its a cost built into the foundation, if you aren't willing to pay it you might as well not do What If in the first place.

Anyway, the character beats were great for both Peggy and Steve. The animation was great, mostly. The fight scenes were impressive. There was a lot of implicit "watch it closely" differences from the 'original' timeline, rewarding for the fan who knows the original.

The only downside? The faces. I like the animation style, and it is great in motion. . . but the faces are smack dab at the deepest darkest depths of the Uncanny Valley. This is why I didn't watch it til now. . . and even at that, I kind of averted my gaze during any scenes of the characters close up and talking to each other.

Looks like this episode is getting a comic book in March.

STL218224.jpg

Previewsworld Description:
WOMAN OUT OF TIME?
A reality where Agent Peggy Carter took the Super-Soldier Serum is turned upside down when the World War II hero is pulled from the ice where she was lost in action decades before. Peggy struggles to find her footing in a modern world that's gotten a lot more complicated - cities are louder, technology is smarter and enemies wear friendly faces. Everyone with an agenda wants Captain Carter on their side, but what does Peggy want? And will she have time to figure it out when mysterious forces are already gunning for her?
Prolific comics creator and designer Jamie McKelvie teams with rising star Marika Cresta to tell an unforgettable Captain Carter story for a modern age.

Variant Covers
STL218232_78a52e79-a584-4569-a908-34848b8057c8_800x.jpg

captain-carter-character-design-variant.jpg

Looks like this episode is getting a comic book in March.

STL218224.jpg

Previewsworld Description:
WOMAN OUT OF TIME?
A reality where Agent Peggy Carter took the Super-Soldier Serum is turned upside down when the World War II hero is pulled from the ice where she was lost in action decades before. Peggy struggles to find her footing in a modern world that's gotten a lot more complicated - cities are louder, technology is smarter and enemies wear friendly faces. Everyone with an agenda wants Captain Carter on their side, but what does Peggy want? And will she have time to figure it out when mysterious forces are already gunning for her?
Prolific comics creator and designer Jamie McKelvie teams with rising star Marika Cresta to tell an unforgettable Captain Carter story for a modern age.

Variant Covers
STL218232_78a52e79-a584-4569-a908-34848b8057c8_800x.jpg

captain-carter-character-design-variant.jpg

Captain Carter in the first cover image from that new comic looks prettier than the way she was drawn for the What If episode or even that drawing at the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"