Falcon and Winter Soldier SEASON 1, EPISODE 4: The Whole World is Watching (SPOILERS)

Double Toasted have their review up for this episode. They were wondering what would happen if Lamar were still alive after all that and either came running along after Walker had killed the Flag Smasher or showed up next episode. That would be awkward.

That part at the beginning about Mel Gibson as the Winter Soldier killed me. :lmao:

3.5 hours to become ready for the camera, thick makeup to de-humanize his face and cover up fine features such as laugh lines, prosthetics on his head and chest, restricted hearing, and the need for a cooling apparatus in his costume to counter heat exhaustion. On screen, it looks seamless and like no big deal, but only because the makeup artists and the actor did a really good job. And all the while, there was the psychological challenge to contend with:

Curious as to where this information is from.
Maybe this was the case on ULTRON but on CIVIL WAR and INFINITY WAR the make-up never took more that 1.5 hours and maybe a half hour to dress Paul.
He wore a tissue thin bald cap that extended from his brow upwards and under the cowl - no prosthetics on chest. The cowl did restrict hearing so for IW the ear covers were attached with magnets so they could be removed between takes and both versions had ear holes so he could hear something.
A cooling vest is standard issue on these types of body suits.

On WandaVision the above mentioned cowl was not used, just a bald cap and color - not sure exactly how long that took but probably still in the hour to hour and a half range.

Did anyone else get Netflix Marvel vibes from the end of this episode. That final scene was disturbing. Incredibly well executed. It took me back to the moment Fisk crushed that Russian boss's head in with the car door. Jarring in an everyone goes silent kind of way. Especially the image of blood on Captain America's shield. When did anyone think we would actually see the shield used like....that. Strong statement.

Yes, Netflix was the first thing it reminded me of. Through four episodes they have shown a willingness to be more shocking and go for more controversial material than the films or Wandavision did.

Agreed. Although at the same time it didn’t occur on some faraway field with no witnesses. You could see the faces of all the people with their mobile phones and social media accounts. The government can much more easily spin what happens in distant war zones.

Yeah, because they can say it was self-defence or in an active fight. That's completely different than just coldly executing someone who was already subdued right on camera.

Kevin Smith is, to no one's surprise, loving the episode. And he has Ed Brubaker as a guest now.

Kevin Smith is, to no one's surprise, loving the episode. And he has Ed Brubaker as a guest now.

Fun fact: Ed Brubaker had a cameo in The Winter Soldier as one of the scientists/technicians during the brainwashing scene.

Did anyone else get Netflix Marvel vibes from the end of this episode. That final scene was disturbing. Incredibly well executed. It took me back to the moment Fisk crushed that Russian boss's head in with the car door. Jarring in an everyone goes silent kind of way. Especially the image of blood on Captain America's shield. When did anyone think we would actually see the shield used like....that. Strong statement.
Yeah the blood on the shield was a great idea and shocking to see the symbol of hope soured like that. Definitely a standout image from the series so far. And yes that part does feel like it could have occurred in a Netflix Daredevil subplot.

All this talk about Brubaker just makes me even more upset we won't see an Iron Fist movie (or show) with his influence :(

What Walker did was that a side effect of the Serum

I also believe Sharon is Power Broker.

Fun fact: Ed Brubaker had a cameo in The Winter Soldier as one of the scientists/technicians during the brainwashing scene.

He mentioned that. Also had some really sour gapes about not getting financially compensated for creating most of these stories. He can't watch this show right now because of that. There was a Variety article where he also mentioned this. He did say how nice Feige and everyone at Marvel have been to him, though.

What Walker did was that a side effect of the Serum
Eh, I would say maybe yes, but also... not necessarily.... as we've been told many times - the serum (regardless of which version of it the person has received) - enhances what's already there/who that person is. Now, am I saying that Walker was always a murderous bastard? No.... but he's an Afghanistan vet who (as he and Lemar were talking about) had to do some things during that war that weren't great but got told by higher ups were worthy of medals, he wouldn't have been the first vet to have developed mental health issues that he tries to keep buried/not let anyone know about. And even in our real world we have people who have experienced that stuff that don't get help only to have something that causes them to snap and hurt others.... no serum required.

I also believe Sharon is Power Broker.
I know a lot believe this theory, but I'm not there on it. I believe her bitterness is real at the fallout for her from Civil War (or the seeming fallout?), but I can't see her going completely villain like the Power Broker appears to be, I can't see her commissioning more super soldier serum. I'm more of the mind that she's still CIA/a government agent and her assignment is taking down the powerbroker which requirs her to be deep undercover in Madripoor to gain trust and climb the ladder to the PB.

Last edited:
All this talk about Brubaker just makes me even more upset we won't see an Iron Fist movie (or show) with his influence :(
Maybe one day, or at least a much better show. In the Disney + area many more things can get greenlit as they battle for as much content as possible in the streaming wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"