Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Box-Office Numbers

Not much competition out there til Venom. I wish this would hit $500M but there’s no way without China.

I LOVE METEOR MAN!

I have solid nostalgia for Meteor Man. :cwink:

Wonder how Shang-Chi's box office will fare after all these unearthed old comments from Simu Liu. His comments about China have offended nationalists in that country to the point where Shang-Chi might be excluded from the world's biggest movie market. Now there are all these stories about him comparing pedophilia to being gay. The internet never forgets.

Wonder how Shang-Chi's box office will fare after all these unearthed old comments from Simu Liu. His comments about China have offended nationalists in that country to the point where Shang-Chi might be excluded from the world's biggest movie market. Now there are all these stories about him comparing pedophilia to being gay. The internet never forgets.
The pedophilia stuff is taken wildly out of context.
it was from a twitter conversation where Simu was talking about the importance of pedophiles getting treatment ,TO SAVE KIDS LIVES!
But,I do find it curious,
A week after Simu's comments critical of the Chinese government are unearthed, all of a sudden,"he supports pedophiles",
I mean, ONE WEEK LATER!
Have there been other cases of Asian or Asian Americans of prominence speaking out against the Chinese government and, afterwards being disgraced in the media?

it was from a twitter conversation where Simu was talking about the importance of pedophiles getting treatment ,TO SAVE KIDS LIVES!
A week after Simu's comments critical of the Chinese government are unearthed, all of a sudden,"he supports pedophiles",
I mean, ONE WEEK LATER!
Have there been other cases of Asian or Asian Americans of prominence speaking out against the Chinese government and, afterwards being disgraced in the media?
Honestly don’t it’s made any traction anywhere. It’s an obvious smear attempt.

This also turned out to be quite popular in Hong Kong despite the negative netizens opinions on it before its release. So far it tops the BO there in 2021. Imagine it manages to get a release in China…. Oh well….

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling this is an attempt to smear him. If it's China, then it feels like they're looking to create justification for not releasing it there.
If they were using this stuff as an excuse not to release the film there, doesn’t that suggest that there is local DEMAND for Shang Chi to come to China?

I'm guessing around $2.1M today for SC, which would give a new total of around $180.5M. By the time next weekend rolls around it should be neck and neck with Black Widow or slightly past it for the biggest domestic cume of the Covid era. BW currently sits at $183,401,840 and is at the point where it's doing 5-digit weekdays so it won't have moved much by Friday.

I'm guessing around $2.1M today for SC, which would give a new total of around $180.5M. By the time next weekend rolls around it should be neck and neck with Black Widow or slightly past it for the biggest domestic cume of the Covid era. BW currently sits at $183,401,840 and is at the point where it's doing 5-digit weekdays so it won't have moved much by Friday.
Yeah. It should be really close. Disney just keeps on rolling. To be fair to BW though, if it hadn't been released on D+, it would probably be out of reach; which is what you'd expect from a movie about a well known and liked character.

I mean, it did do another $125 million on PA though. Overall, it made almost $500 million WW.

Not sure I'm following......

Black Widow made $367M at the box office and $125M through Disney+ Premium Access. People are comparing the box office for both movies but I don’t think it’s really fair since they leave out the premium access money.

Black Widow made $367M at the box office and $125M through Disney+ Premium Access. People are comparing the box office for both movies but I don’t think it’s really fair since they leave out the premium access money.
I see. Yes. Absolutely true. On top of that ALL of the 125M goes directly into Disney's pocket and they don't have to share with the theaters. This worries me that someone may decide theater only releases are passe' because they can get more money by releasing it on premium services.

My main point was that a dual release hurts BO numbers......says Captain Obvious.

I see. Yes. Absolutely true. On top of that ALL of the 125M goes directly into Disney's pocket and they don't have to share with the theaters. This worries me that someone may decide theater only releases are passe' because they can get more money by releasing it on premium services.

My main point was that a dual release hurts BO numbers......says Captain Obvious.

True. I think in the end, it’s going to be very close to see which one is more profitable. Shang-Chi already broke even and is now making money for Disney. Disney will collect 60% of box office gross (and 80% of Disney PA gross). So, in the end, Disney might get more money from Black Widow but that movie had a higher budget than Shang-Chi so it could all even out anyway.

It's not going to affect it at all.

Secondly, who f'n gives a **** what a handful of people say on international social media app about his comments he made 4 years ago about his parents moving to Canada to get a better life for themselves and their family?

Thirdly, I'm getting really tired of people who keep bringing up these comments about Simu Liu to try to dunk on him.

If these are the worst things people can dig up about Simu Liu, the man is going to do fine in his career.

Last edited:

Not all of it goes into Disney's pocket.

The fact that Disney isn't doing a post 45-day Premier Access release at all for Shang-Chi makes me even more suspicious about the Premier Access numbers.

I mean, ONE WEEK LATER!

I take issue with "Unearthed" and here is why.

He made these comments in a public media interview several years ago. They are hardly some dirty skeleton in his closet. Let's be real here. Not to mention he was speaking honestly and truthfully about his family. People are looking for any and everything to hurt this man's career.

This is hardly some smoking gun.

"OMG DID YOU HEAR WHAT HE SAID ABOUT CHINA?! Disney does tons of business with China! It's the end of his career!"

Nope.

This wasn't some sealed Bill Cosby legal deposition where he made some condemning admissions about his past.

Last edited:
Disney will collect 60% of box office gross (and 80% of Disney PA gross). So, in the end, Disney might get more money from Black Widow but that movie had a higher budget than Shang-Chi so it could all even out anyway.
Not necessarily. When a movie is released in cinemas, usually in the first week of release studios get 90% of the profit, second week 80%, third 70% and they are the weeks that make the vast majority of the money.
Shang-Chi already broke even and is now making money for Disney.
Is there a source on that? I'd think it still has a long way of breaking even, considering marketing and shared profits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"