Singular Universe: Brave New World -- Sign Up/OOC Thread

Character Name: Daniel "Danny" Rand-Kai A.K.A. The Immortal Iron Fist

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): Hero

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Sea Green Arial

Powers and Abilities:
Martial Arts-First and foremost Daniel Rand-Kai is one of the greatest martial artists on Earth, taught by masters with an immortal lifetime of experience with methods that would seem impossible to ordinary men. He is a master of all of the martial arts of K'un-Lun and many of the martial arts of Earth, including styles of fighting that have been unknown to most mortals for thousands of years. More mundanely he is a master of Ninjutsu, Jujitsu, Aikido, all forms of Shaolin Kung Fu, Karate, Judo, Boxing and even informal street-fighting techniques. He has complete mastery of nearly all martial arts weaponry and weapon styles, and is skilled enough at pressure point techniques to effectively use them against superhuman opponents and even beings whose physiology is completely inhuman.

Chi Manipulation and Augmentation-Thanks to his training in K'un-Lun, Danny is able to manipulate his chi to enhance his strength, speed, reflexes, durability, endurance, agility and senses to superhuman levels, although doing this usually takes some concentration and leaves him greatly drained afterward.

Chi of Shou-Lao-Thanks to plunging his fists into the molten heart of the legendary dragon Shou-Lao the Undying, Danny can call upon the dragon's immense and powerful chi and focus it into his fist. While this is primarily used for his signature Iron Fist ability, Danny has occasionally been able to utilize the Chi of Shou-Lao to heal himself and others in times of great desperation and it may have other functions as well, unknown to him. Danny's main usage is focusing the Chi of Shou Lao into his hands in order to make them practically invulnerable and capable of striking with massive concussive force. Although "Becoming like a thing of Iron" is how it was phrased in ancient K'un-Lun, the Iron Fist technique is capable of easily shattering or shredding through iron, steel and much harder and denser substances with relative ease. What's more, Danny can focus more of Shou-Lao's chi into his fists for stronger strikes and has yet to reach his maximum power with the Iron Fist.

Meditation and Body Control-Thanks to meditative exercises learned in K'un-Lun Danny is able to exercise complete mastery over his body, enabling him to control his breathing and heartbeat well enough to slow them to a state indistinguishable from death, deaden himself to all pain, greatly slow the effects of drugs and toxins on his body, go days without sleep and adapt himself to a wide variety of environments with relative ease.

Peak-Human conditioning-Danny's incredibly intensive training in K'un-Lun means that his body is trained and conditioned to the peak potential of an unassisted human, making him just short of a Steve Rogers-level of physically fit even without the use of his chi.

Acrobatics-As part of his training in K'un-Lun, Danny was honed into a highly skilled acrobat, enabling him to maneuver through environments as diverse as the mountainous slopes outside K'un-Lun, the twisted jungles of the H'ylthri and the urban sprawl of New York city with equal ease, speed and grace.

Stealth-Though not as skilled as some, Danny's mastery of ninjutsu includes training in the arts of concealment, deception and stealth.

Multi-Lingual-Danny is fluent in numerous languages and dialects used throughout China, as well as American English and Japanese.

Some Knowledge of the Occult-For someone who professes to totally lack any interest in or aptitude for magic Daniel Rand-Kai possesses a surprising amount of knowledge regarding the mystic arts, supernatural lore and arcane secrets mankind is typically not meant to know. However, Danny himself will swear-up-and-down that he's hardly an expert in such matters, instead insisting that growing up in the high society of K'un-Lun necessitates a basic understanding of such things.

Character Origin/Major Events:

1993-2003: Death of a Family
In 1988 Danny Rand-Kai was born to Heather Duncan Rand and businessman Wendell Rand-Kai, CEO of Rand-Meachum Inc. Danny's childhood was about as uneventful as the son of a billionaire's could be until the year he turned ten years old, when his father decided to take Danny, Heather and his business partner Harold Meachum with him in search of the mythical city of K'un-Lun. Meachum betrayed the Rand family, pushing Wendell off a cliff and abandoning Heather and Danny to die on the icy mountain slopes they were journeying through when they wouldn't join him in his hostile takeover of Wendell's former life. The two wandered lost through the mountains, stalked by wolves and weakened by cold and starvation. Eventually the wolves struck, and as Heather sacrificed herself to give Danny a few brief moments more to run the last thing he saw before collapsing in exhaustion was a set of shining, golden gates burning through a haze of snow.

When Daniel Rand next awoke, it was within the walls of the Eternal City of K'un-Lun. Its Immortal rulers had rescued him and taken him in, as he happened to arrive during the once-every-decade period when K'un-Lun intersects directly with the mortal plane. As an apology for failing to save Danny's mother as well, they offered to grant him any one request. It barely took Danny Rand any time at all to ask them to teach him everything they could about combat. Thus, while the world mourned the death of one of New York's most high profile philanthropists and his family, Danny Rand began his apprenticeship under Lei Kung The Thunderer.

2003-2013: Birth of an Iron Fist
The Thunderer's training was brutal if also enlightening, designed to hone mind, body and spirit into a weapon forged with an immortal lifetime of experience. Danny's fellow students made his life no easier as he was constantly isolated, mocked and attacked due to his foreign heritage and status as an outworlder. But Danny persisted, the desire for revenge on Harold Meachum lending an angry fire to his efforts that no amount of guidance from his mentors or torment from his peers could extinguish. All the while Danny and the other trainees were told stories of the legendary dragon Shou-Lao the Undying, how he eternally guards K'un-Lun, his still beating heart magically separated from his body and placed inside an enchanted brazier that forced it to beat so that he would never die. They were also told that once in each generation a worthy warrior would be chosen from among trainees like them to face Shou-Lao and attempt to claim the Dragon's power as their own to become the Iron Fist, Immortal Weapon of K'un-Lun. Danny desired this above all else, both to prove himself to those who mocked him and to better exact his revenge against Harold Meachum.

It took ten long years of nearly endless training, but finally the day arrived when a warrior would be chosen to face Shou-Lao the Undying. To the surprise of nearly everyone but himself and Lei Kung, Danny managed to defeat every other challenger and earn the right to face the Dragon. When the time came Danny entered Shou-Lao's mountaintop cave and fought the massive dragon with his bare hands. It was a grueling fight, but in the end Danny was able to grapple with Shou-Lao and cover the still-gaping chest wound which tied the great serpent to its' still beating heart with his own body. The heat of the beast's fiery blood was so intense that it branded the dragon-shaped wound of Shou-Lao into Danny's chest, but in the end he held on long enough to subdue Shou-Lao. With that done Danny plunged his fists into the Undying dragon's molten, still beating heart again and again, until it truly died. The process infused Danny with the dragon's powerful chi and enabled him to channel it through his fists. Thus The Immortal Iron Fist was born!

2013-2014: Iron Fist, Wanted Man!
Afterward it was revealed to Danny that his coming to K'un-Lun was no accident, in fact his father Wendell was the brother of the Immortal lord Yu-ti and Danny was K'un-Lun royalty. The Yu-Ti offered Danny the chance to live forever in K'un-Lun as an immortal and a prince, but he rejected life in paradise, instead returning to the mortal world to seek revenge on Harold Meachum. He was able to track Meachum down to the Rand Tower in New York and fight past innumerable traps and bodyguards, only to find Harold Meachum a broken shell of a man not only confined to a wheelchair after losing both of his legs but already driven to insanity by guilt for his past crimes. However, before Danny could decide what to do, Meachum was killed by a mysterious assailant dressed as a ninja and Iron Fist was framed as Meachum's murderer. Danny found himself at the center of a nationwide manhunt after murdering the well known billionaire. Worse yet, Harold Meachum's daughter Joy put a sizable bounty on his head and he had no real civilian identity to hide behind. Danny spent the majority of his time alternately avoiding the police, fighting bounty hunters and misinformed superheroes alike, and desperately searching for the ninja to clear his name. He eventually found out that The Ninja was a vengeful wraith of a warrior and assassin who had once fought against K'un-Lun. He had been raised from the dead by an unknown master and framed Danny to try and destroy him and leave the Eternal City defenseless. However in their final confrontation the increasingly unstable Ghost Ninja ended up gleefully confessing all of this in front of a rather large crowd during their rather flashy battle and as a result Iron Fist was cleared of all charges with minimal difficulty.

2014-present: A New Life

With help from a penitent Joy Meachum, Daniel Rand was able to prove his identity as the boy who vanished into the mountains many years ago and take back his father's company, though he was mainly put in charge of public relations and Rand Incorporated's numerous charitable organizations. With vengeance long out of his reach Iron Fist decided to put his training to good use instead, becoming one of New York's many street-level heroes, though his duties as the Immortal Weapon of K'un-Lun also bound him to a world of martial arts and mysticism. Now Daniel Rand-Kai is living a new life with new friends and new enemies, all while serving as a bridge for two very different worlds.

Why this character?
I've always liked Iron Fist and even though I never seem to get to use him for very long in any RPs I want to try for a new take on the character that combines elements of both older and newer versions of Danny with some of the styling and conventions of the Wuxia stories, martial arts films and bits of various east asian folklores and mythologies that originally inspired the character.

What can you bring to the RPG?

A pretty wide range from initial street-level crime fighting potentially up all the way through to cosmic levels as Danny learns more about The Chi of Shou-Lao and what it means to be an Iron Fist and Immortal Weapon, with additional layers of a semi-hidden world of secret traditions and mystical martial arts. Also maybe potential team-ups with heroes both in and out of New York City if anyone's interested.

Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more and featuring at least one line of dialogue:
The muted rustle of a curtain drawn aside should have been drowned out easily in the casual tumult of pre-dawn New York City. Compared to that the slight puff of the blowgun that followed was less than a whisper.

So it was with a certain amount of shock that Danny Rand-Kai awoke, clutching a needle-tipped dart just inches from his own face.

With his mind and body both running on full alert he could smell the poison that coated the dart. An extract of the Flower of Ten Dreams, a plant found only in the heavenly gardens of K'un-L'un. Ingested in even the tiniest amount it was a potent sleep-aid, and said to be a gateway for prophetic dreams, but in a dose this large straight to his circulatory system the victim would be wrapped in seemingly endless nightmares before dying in their sleep.

The next thing he noticed was the nature of his would-be assassin. A bestial, silver-furred creature crouched by a window of Danny's penthouse apartment, the blowgun discarded at its clawed, canine feet. But the eyes of the creature were what caught Danny's attention. They were the same eyes he saw in the mountains of K'un-Lun more than ten years ago as wolves devoured his mother.

"So yaoguai, who dares to make a demon of my past and send it to attack a K'un-L'un warrior with poison in the night?"

The wolf spirit's only answer was to pounce through the air, clawed hands lashing out to tear Danny to pieces faster than any ordinary man could react.

But not faster than an Immortal Weapon. As The demon's claws were rending through the bed's headboard Danny had already vaulted to the side and lashed out with a sidekick that sent the monster sprawling onto the floor.

As the demon rose and faced him across the bed Danny was already reaching deep within himself for the source of his power, the burning inner energy that was the Chi of Shou-Lao. As the soul of the dragon flowed into him he directed it into his fist, the pure fiery power filling it until it began to glow...

...to smolder...

...to burn...

and became, as they said in ancient K'un-Lun, like a thing of iron.

"So, care to see how a wolf does against a dragon?"

The voice that answered him was mangled and growling.

"My Master will see you dead, Iron Fist. You cannot hide your scent, you cannot hide yourself. I will have your throat...another day." Before Danny could react, the wolf-demon was already fading with the night like a frigid mountain mist.

This...raised some uncomfortable problems. Someone had access to a plant not found outside the Eternal City of K'un-L'un and enough dark sorcery to create a yaoguai. Worse yet it was someone who knew his identity down to the intimate details given their choice of assassin.

"Well, now that I'm up, guess I might as well get some breakfast!"

After all, this was still just another morning for The Immortal Iron Fist.

For my 3rd app I'm thinking... Fantastic. How much is defined about them in game?

Not much. They've been mentioned as existing, and referenced (J'onn ordered EMS to take M'gann to Reed in my last post, I believe), but they've never shown up "on screen".

Sorry I've been scarce for the last couple of days, my attention's been divided for the most part due to my current job hunt. Should have some posts incoming over the weekend to get Bats and the X-Men back in the game.

I don't have a problem with it. Carnage?

Any other Gotham-centric teenagers I could grab for the Outlaws at that point?

I don't have a problem with it. Carnage?

Jason and Iron Fist are both approved. Sorry, I was out all last night.

Will try and work on getting posts up today too. A bit behind my schedule.

Jason and Iron Fist are both approved. Sorry, I was out all last night.

Excellent! Will try and get an introductory post for IF up sometime today! Hopefully something that establishes both Danny's personality and the feel and nature of the jianghu in New York.

Updated Red Hood's Outlaws, if there's issues let me know.

Post later today...e-mail service wasn't letting me know of any new posts...GRRRR.

So, I've been thinking, after the Manhunter/Ranger fight, of dropping The White Ranger. I'm just not feeling him the way I thought I would, and I'm kinda itching to play someone else anyway. A familiar character, and old friend, someone who those of you who were in the old Heroes vs Villains will also remember, hopefully fondly. Just looking for some feedback, but whatta ya'll think.....

"Ready to kick this into high gear?"

Does this mean that I can kill the White Ranger?

Hmmm, I had planned on seeing the fight through so I didn't leave you high and dry. But death, you say...

I was expecting to end it soon regardless. I probably won't get a post up until tomorrow anyway.

Flash post coming tonight, maybe Red Ranger too if I get into a groove.

The play's finally over, which means I have free time again! .....for about a month until the auditions for the next play, but still!

Posts inbound this evening.

For once I drop Tommy...

Singular Universe: Brave New World Character Application[/SIZE]:

Character Name:Clint Barton; Hawkeye

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line):Hero

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Purple Arial Black

Powers and Abilities: World Class Marksman, partial to the bow and arrow. Peak athletic ability and strength, highly trained in various forms of hand to hand combat

Character Origin/Major Events:
-1975: Harold & Edith Barton are married in Waverly, Iowa. The newlyweds move into Harold's childhood home and take over the family farm. Business is good and the happy couple look forward to a prosperous life ahead

-1980: The Barton's first child, Charles Bernard "Barney" Barton, is born

-1984: Clinton Frances Barton is born.

-1989: The Barton's youngest child, daughter Evelyn Rose, is born

-1990: The family farm suffers heavily from a devestating drought. Harold turns to the bottle for comfort in the troubling times, worried how he will support his young family.

-1992: Harold, a full blown alcoholic, loses the family farm. The young family is forced to move into a cramped, low income housing project. Harold moves from job to job, his dependance on the bottle making him virtually unemployable. Edith is forced to work multiple jobs to support the family. Clint finds solace in helping to care for his baby sister, and playing with an old bow and arrow he finds in the attic. He practices his aim for hours in the small, muddy backyard.

-1995: Clint watches in horror as his father, arriving home from the local bar, swerves the family car into the front yard and runs over 6 year old Evelyn. In his drunken stupor, he exits the car and begins berating the dying child for getting in his way. Edith runs hysterically from the house, and cradles her daughter in her arms as the last breath leaves her tiny lungs. Finally losing all composure, she attacks her husband. Harold strikes her in the head with a baseball bat the boys left in the yard. He then attempts to flee the arriving authorites, and wraps his car around a telephone pole several blocks away. In less than 20 minutes, Barney and Clint have witnessed the tragic death of their entire family

-1996: After less than a year bouncing back and forth between the orphanage and foster care, Barney and Clint run away and join the Carson Carnival of Traveling Wonders. Clint's blossoming marksmanship skills soon draw the attention of senior performer Trickshot, himself a skilled archer, and his performing partner, The Swordsman.

-1998: Clint has become a star attraction in his two years performing, and has quickly reached the expertise level of his mentors. Barney has become distant from his brother, and rarely works the shows anymore, perferring to work behind the scenes. He frequently meets with several men in suits who show up backstage from time to time.

-2000: Barney and several members of the Carson Carnival, performing in Gotham City, travel across town to meet with members of rival Haley's Circus. In what turns out to be a mob deal gone sour, several members of the carnival are found in pieces, stuffed inside garbage bags, in the Gotham Dump. Barney's body is never found, and he is assumed dead. Trickshot and The Swordsman disappear, and are rumored to be the ringleaders of Carson's mob. Several months later, facing the threat of further retribution, Carson's Carnival sells off all it's assets to Tony Zucco and John Grayson as protection money. Grayson absorbs whatever acts he deems profitable into Haley's Circus, and Zucco pockets what is left. Clint refuses to work for the men he suspects of killing his brother and ends up on the streets.

-2009: Living off the grid for 9 years, Clint has survived as a gun for hire, fighting against the criminal underbelly of whatever city he finds himself in, eeking out a living by accepting what little food, money, or temporary board he can from the people who need his help. He takes only what he needs and quickly moves on, constantly feeling the sins of his brother are never too far behind.

-Year One: Clint is approached by Nick Fury, who has been watching him from the shadows for sometime. Fury feels something big is coming, and wants Barton as a member of his S.H.I.E.L.D. organization. Tired of being out in the cold, and looking to make more of an impact than a few street thugs here and there, Clint accepts. The Age of the Superheroes explodes soon after.

-Year Two: Clint is drawn to the flair of the numerous superheroes who have popped up in the past year. Reminding him of the days of costumes and pagentry in the carnival, Clint dusts off his old carnival wear and re-adopts his old performing name as his new codename. Hawkeye quickly rises through the ranks of S.H.I.E.L.D.

-Year Three: Growing weary of the beauracracy of S.H.I.E.L.D., Hawkeye distances himself from the group, and instead continues his crusade as a member of the new team known as The Avengers. Despite having no superhuman abilities, he quickly proves that he can stand with the best of the best, and becomes one of the premiere members of the group. He clashes often with Captain America over leadership, but the two hold a deep mutual respect for one another.

-Year Four: Hawkeye feels that, for the first time in a long time, he finally belongs somewhere. He relishes the life of a superhero, and The Avengers truly begin to establish themselves as Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Why this character? Cap and Hawkeye are my top 2 Avengers, but I have a soft spot for the lovable purple underdog

What can you bring to the RPG? Many here are familiar with my Hawkeye. Some may not be. I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise.

Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more and featuring at least one line of dialogue: Forthcoming, if needed, or I can point you in the direction of the old Heroes vs Villains Marvel RPG.

Also. When I was starting to develop this app, my sketchy posting history was pointed out (rightly so) by a friend. Since I don't want this to affect my output with Batman, and I also want to be able to say I earned the right to use so many characters and do with them what I wish, I'll be adding some conditions upon any acceptance.

If I fail to make a post within the allotted two weeks from the last for absolutely no good reason (IE: I didn't get around to it/was lazy/had writer's block/whatever), I'll not only revoke my spot as Cyke on the roster if Carnage hasn't done so already - but I'll also personally delete all of my IC posts as Cyclops to allow for someone else to come in and redo the X-Men from the ground up.

So, you know... there's that.

As much as I didn't want to keep to this at first, I'm gonna go ahead and drop Cyclops. I jumped the gun by choosing the wrong time and the wrong storyline to take on such a huge undertaking as The X-Men portion of this universe. I'm just not as into it as I thought I'd be.

So, as promised, I'm deleting everything to wipe the slate clean so that the X-Men aren't trapped on an island for whoever else wants to play around with that universe. I'd really rather stick to keeping Batman on track anyway.

Speaking of which, I'm gonna try my damndest to do just that and get him back in the game. My apologies to Byrd and 9X17, I know you two are waiting on me.

As much as I didn't want to keep to this at first, I'm gonna go ahead and drop Cyclops. I jumped the gun by choosing the wrong time and the wrong storyline to take on such a huge undertaking as The X-Men portion of this universe. I'm just not as into it as I thought I'd be.

So, as promised, I'm deleting everything to wipe the slate clean so that the X-Men aren't trapped on an island for whoever else wants to play around with that universe. I'd really rather stick to keeping Batman on track anyway.

Speaking of which, I'm gonna try my damndest to do just that and get him back in the game. My apologies to Byrd and 9X17, I know you two are waiting on me.

Secretly readies my own Batman application :btf:

Damn. I was actually working on the character application for Danny. I guess you snooze you loose.

Aww I'm sorry, I didn't even realize someone else was gunning for him :csad:. That said he's just about my favorite comic book character ever so I'm keeping him. Working on my second post today as a matter of fact.

If there's anything I can do to make up for yoinking him though lemme know.

Aww I'm sorry, I didn't even realize someone else was gunning for him :csad:. That said he's just about my favorite comic book character ever so I'm keeping him. Working on my second post today as a matter of fact.

If there's anything I can do to make up for yoinking him though lemme know.

Nope. You got there first. To the winner goes the spoils :cwink:

And he's tied for Daredevil for being my favorite too, so it's very cool to come across another Iron Fist die hard on here. I don't think there's many here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"